Blackbaud

Updated November 16, 2014
Updated November 16, 2014
3.3

Michael Gianoni

Pros
  • Helping non-profits as a side effect of making money for senior execs (in 49 reviews)

• The workload is always high, but management did their best to ensure the work-life balance (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management frequently sees their employees as machinery that affect/represent a number of some kind (in 11 reviews)

• The salaries are not comparable to other software companies (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Layers and Layers of Disconnected Managers

Former Employee - Interaction Designer II in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Interaction Designer II in Charleston, SC

I worked at Blackbaud full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growth if you work hard, up to 15% quarterly bonus if the company hits it's numbers, peers/people are great there

Cons

slave driving utilization requirements, employees are numbers to anyone beyond level one management, out-dated software and high costs make for unhappy customers, cube farm

Learn about the trade your team delivers, get rid of utilization as a motivator and focus on customer feedback of individuals, stop coasting (everyone with a fair share of stock just doesn't try anymore).

Interesting culture, feel good charter

I worked at Blackbaud full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Serving non-profits, many great people there, competitive salary

Cons

Very Charleston centric command/control. Slow to change.

Blackbaud has acquired a lot of companies over the past decade. Make the tough decisions to integrate all of the acquired companies. Be more agile. Consolidate duplicate departments.

All good things must come to an end

I worked at Blackbaud full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to work reomotely/telecommute
    Generous PTO
    Decent medical benefits

Cons

This company is bloated with upper/middle management and the ranks of individual contributors are slowly shrinking, especially in the Austin office which is only at about 50% capacity. The people who are left are expected to pick up the slack and work extra hours since hiring quality candidates take so long. Annual performance reviews and increases are not merit based and paltry at best. Almost everyone good has walked out the door in the two years since they acquired Convio.

Take a hard look at the exit interviews for people who received "exceeds expectations" on their most recent performance review and ask yourselves "how could we have kept them?" A company is only as good as the talent it hires and retains.

Solid company, cares about people.

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time

Pros

Great client base, many great causes. Blackbaud's solutions help many organizations achieve their mission. There is a lot of effort made to keep key employees in effective roles that satisfy their career ambitions.

Cons

Not many cons, a lot of options for career paths. Acquisitions have diversified the culture and product roadmap. This has complicated some things for employees.

Keep investing in the products that are the future of the company.

Great place to contribute & grow professionally while making the world a better place.

Current Employee - Manager in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

At the end of the day, you're helping non-profits make the world a better place, every day.
    Endless professional growth opportunities and leadership recently implemented a simple career framework process that creates transparency around how employees are performing and what they need to do to grow into new roles, if that's what they want to do. Discussion about career goals between employees and managers is encouraged and built into the performance management process.
    Amazing training in Customer Support as well as completely revamped training for Pro Services and Sales new hires.
    Teamwork and innovation are recognized and rewarded.
    Total benefits package (salary, medical benefits, negotiated discounts at local businesses, onsite gym & showers, onsite cafe, option to earn additional vacation time for volunteering on your own time, tuition reimbursement, flexibility in hours as well as the option to work from home for many positions) is one of the best in Charleston.
    Beautiful place to work and some employees walk or run on Daniel Island during lunch or before or after work.

Cons

Still a bit "cube-farmy" in many parts of the building.

Continue investing in the people & some of the internal systems. Continue to increase transparency around product roadmaps internally and externally. There seems to be good momentum in these areas - keep it up!

Overall good place to work, great to be in Charleston!

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employees are well treated overall, good work environment. New ideas encouraged. Strong internship program for college kids. Company genuinely cares about its employees. And having a company like Blackbaud in Charleston, SC is a bonus, wonderful gem of a little city!

Cons

Internal products are embarrassingly stuck in the past, limiting growth opportunities for developers.
    Company growth through acquisition, acquired companies not always well managed.

Push for modern product development, does Blackbaud really want to be making VB6 products forever?

Wish Management Had a Clue.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Well, checks don't bounce. There is free coffee.

Cons

You name it. It's there. Antiquated code stack across the board.
    Senior management in battle with itself.
    Middle management is in CYA mode.
    All employees suffer.
    If I could submit a negative star value, I would.
    This is a serious matter.The overall plan is to say there is a plan. However, in truth, is to glean budget, achieve little, request more budget.

Sell.

Awesome Company

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work for.

Cons

Hard work, pay could be better

Not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good potential to move around within the company
    Friendly atmosphere
    on-site gym and cafeteria
    yearly pay raises (less than 20 cents/hr in support)

Cons

It can be really difficult to get pay raises which are very minimal at best.

Allow people who are good at their jobs to move around a bit more and learn new things.

Change in Corporate Structure Following Merger

Former Employee - Direct Marketing in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Direct Marketing in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Blackbaud full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are, on the whole, very good. We all had top of the line computers, two monitors, etc. Free coffee. I biked to work every day.

Cons

Over-reliance on telecommuting and remote management. Numerous co-workers whom I have met face to face only once, and others I've never met at all, and I deal with them on a daily basis. I worked in the office every day since I live nearby, but nobody else with my job title and client base did. Reported to manager based in a flyover state - whom I met once - who didn't know my product or my clients, so no opportunity for mentorship. Before that, I reported to a manager who worked from home on the west coast - but at least he knew my product/clients.

Very silo'ed positions, leading to very narrow/specific functions. Employees were expected to work a minimum of 40 hrs/wk, and the norm was 50 or more. I've spent more than a few Saturdays in the office. Barely any training, essentially learning from peers, and responsible for creating documentation for the next person. Where is managerial accountability?

Hard to feel confident in future of the company when the manager of my department openly acknowledges that the current product, direct quote, "is a piece of crap."

Good employees leaving in droves or being kicked out the door. It was better before we merged with Convio.

I got my best friend a job here, albeit in a different department from mine, and he loves it; part of a close-knit team, friendly manager, etc, so my list of cons isn't representative of the entire company... but wait until he realizes how underpaid he is.

Don't talk about setting employees up for success and then set them up to fail.