Blackbaud Reviews

Updated October 19, 2014
Updated October 19, 2014
3.3

Michael Gianoni

Pros
  • Helping non-profits as a side effect of making money for senior execs (in 47 reviews)

• The workload is always high, but management did their best to ensure the work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management frequently sees their employees as machinery that affect/represent a number of some kind (in 11 reviews)

• The salaries are not comparable to other software companies (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Blackbaud-Customer Support Analyst

Former Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Blackbaud full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with and the company really seems to care about their employees.

Cons

Pay isn't great and the training is not very good. You are thrown in and expected to figure it out as you go along.

I would consider revising the training and focusing more on product knowledge than on troubleshooting.

Good

I worked at Blackbaud

Pros

People, people, people. Wonderful non-profit client organizations. Excellent benefits and employment perks. Hard working teams. Cafeteria and gym both within HQ building.

Cons

Internal silos and politics between senior management. Stuffy, corporate culture. Need to focus on the technology needs of employees and provide the right equipment and tools to get the job done.

Technical debt

Former Employee - Services in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Services in Remote, OR

I worked at Blackbaud full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great flexibility, interesting clients that are working on compelling causes. Great coworkers in a great location.

Cons

Too many products all of which are getting long in the tooth. Change is too slow, lots of red tape, it's bananas. Salaries are low and raises are minimal. No long term vision for the company.

Get rid of the business units and the redundancy between them (two marketing teams??), streamline your management structure and focus on reducing the products and get the ones that remain up to date. Stop calling certain products "internet products" - It dates you.

Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere (at least in my area) and I truly enjoy what I do. I look forward to going to work.

Cons

Meager (relatively) salary; merit increase either minimal or non-existent regardless of "Exceeds Expectations" rating.

Financial rewards are important to your workforce. Continue to justify not rewarding or properly compensating your employees and you'll continue to lose the really good ones in droves. No, it's not a coincidence that so many stellar employees have opted out recently.

a scattered mess

I worked at Blackbaud full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great clients, many great co-workers

Cons

no focus, teams run in circles, no leadership

Decent experience, wouldnt recommend it for everyone

Current Employee - Intern in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Intern in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The location is fantastic, the people are extremely nice. the corporate structure makes it difficult to succeed in amajor capacity.

Cons

not much room for growth. benefits are decent, not great. Overall I would rate the management as below average. Difficult to fnd better IT job in SC

Learn the business, build relationships, work hard and move up.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-great people
    -market leader
    -location(Charleston SC)
    -career development
    -new CEO with some balls
    -new on boarding program for sales/marketing
    -publicly traded company(BLKB)
    -extremely competitive to get hired
    -arguably the best company to work for in charleston

Cons

-lack of product development under past CEO, Marc Chardon
    -got caught up in the acquisitions game
    -flagship product runs well but looks old(current leadership is committed to addressing this)
    -middle mgmt, like others have said, it is a problem.
    -sales reps get paid, solutions engineers do most of the work though. They get paid less.
    -support analysts seem to complain about lack of pay and long hours.
    -consultants are highly utilized, which can tend to burn them out quickly.
    -the marketing team has too many people for the amount of work to be done. I think they can condense those slots. Not enough revenue generators to justify the number of employees.

New CEO has said all of the right things so far. Nice to see some fresh management. Speaking of which, there are too many managers in the middle. Also, too many ppl in marketing who don't produce enough revenue. Pump more money into product development and talented developers to help everyone in the companyt. Sales can then sell, support can support, services can implement and marketing can market the product more effectively. Have to get caught up with Product Development to compete with sales force and other market competitors. Let's be done with the acquisitions too, nobody wants to see anymore of that. If we need it, let's build it, like we used to.

A good place to do good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time

Pros

Great impact through the work of our clients. Interesting/challenging projects. Fantastic office in Bay Area. Culture, values and work/life balance are all pluses

Cons

It's a big company and some things are more complicated than necessary: human resources, help desk, etc. in particular.

We are a technology company so make sure we continue to evolve and stay current with the state of the art technically.

Best Job I've ever had!!!!

Current Employee - Customer Support in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company takes care of their employees and cares about them. I've worked at other companies who say they care Blackbaud proves it!!
    The pay is very competitive for this market!
    The company welcomed me before my 1st day I felt a part of the Blackbaud family before my 1st day!!!

Cons

No real challenges I've been here 4 months and always enjoy getting up to go to work

Keep up the great work!!! Continue to take care of your employees and appreciate the talent you have!

Help make the world a better place

I have been working at Blackbaud

Pros

Great team of fun people who enjoy serving non-profit clients while enjoying all the perks and benefits of a major for profit company. Austin Domain location offers many amenities and entertainment options.

Cons

Needs to press the accelerator on innovation for new non-profit fundraising and advocacy solutions. Company has tendency to coast on strength of market position instead of pushing technology forward.

Employees want to hear what the next exciting benefit/perk coming is. What about Stock Purchase Plan? A real gym/health club reimbursements, or just simply, better snacks. If you want to compete in Austin, you gotta have some of this. You have to step it more than what you offer in Charleston.