Blackbaud

Updated November 16, 2014
Updated November 16, 2014
3.3

Michael Gianoni

Pros
  • Helping non-profits as a side effect of making money for senior execs (in 49 reviews)

• The workload is always high, but management did their best to ensure the work-life balance (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management frequently sees their employees as machinery that affect/represent a number of some kind (in 11 reviews)

• The salaries are not comparable to other software companies (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Rewarding experience.

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time

Pros

The people are great and so are the benefits!

Cons

High stress and frequent travel

The good is great, the bad is terrible

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time

Pros

Many smart people working here. Some improvements in the last year. New CEO seems sharp.

Cons

Highly political environment. Culture is interesting/odd. Very hard to get ahead; Leadership praises the squeaky wheel and never looks further.

Look beyond the "yes men"; talk to the people who aren't saying much but who could give you the kind of information that will actually help make a difference.

Old company, old ways, no real employee appreciation

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are great. It's a nice southern company where your coworkers become your good friends. Tons of PTO and holidays.

Cons

No bonus program, 1-3% annual raises, low salaries, management not wanting to change...employees doing things for so long that they don't even know why they are doing it...they just keep on doing it because "it's my job". No room for growth. Since they are one of the largest employers in Charleston, they think they don't need to treat their employees better.

Stop the engagement surveys. Just use the money to give out bonuses.

Good, but not great. If your down in that area its pretty good.

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance, not a lot pressure. Management is friendly and their are some fun people you get to work with. Decent benefits. Rewarding work getting to work with non-profits. If positioned right, you can get decent bonuses and stock grants to help offset lower salary.

Cons

Mostly widely used framework is ancient in terms of tech stack. After years of paying for it the newer products are (finally) moving off it to more current technology stack. Pay is a little low. HQ Location is great (Charleston is gorgeous), if in Austin I would be shopping the market since it's a popular tech city. If you can get to working on some of the newer projects, you will be better off but even first glance at those seem to be following a weak architecture pattern.

Keep pushing to move off the old stack as it will be hard to attract and/or retain serious developers who want to advance their career. Be mindful what tech leads you listen to...just because you've been at Blackbaud for 15 years as a developer doesn't always mean you know the best approach. Listen to some of the new blood as well as some folks are institutionalized.

No idea companies like this existed.

I have been working at Blackbaud

Pros

I'm a recent hire.

I knew there was something special about Blackbaud when I interviewed with them. Every person I interviewed with was friendly, passionate and highly intelligent. I was ecstatic when I was offered the job.
     So far, I can't believe how good it is to work here. Yes, there are challenges, but they are nothing compared to things I've experienced in similar sized companies.

People are friendly, helpful, and open about challenges, whether it be technical debt, process or otherwise, and everyone wants to work together to succeed.

I look forward to a long and successful career working alongside some of the most passionate, intelligent, awesome group of people I've ever met.

Cons

I've only been here for a short while, but so far, I don't have a single negative thing to report.

Work Hard, Play Hard

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Blackbaud is a great company to work for. They truly care about their employees and their clients.

Cons

While immediate managers and supervisors are conscious of your personal time, it's very easy to get wrapped-up in your work and put in long hours. I wouldn't say it's expected, but be prepared to work hard.

good

Former Employee - Account Manager in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Charleston, SC

I worked at Blackbaud full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly and great work environment. The training was a little lacking but my colleagues were happy to help.

Cons

training, and large open work space, could hear everyone's conversations

Management was fair and available

Office Assistant

Former Employee - Office Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Blackbaud part-time (less than an year)

Pros

,As an office assistant, I found Blackbaud to have a very friendly staff.

Cons

As an office assistant, I did not have any negative experiences.

There is nothing I would advise to management.

Stay Away

Former Employee - Engineering in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering in Austin, TX

I worked at Blackbaud full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Tons of PTO, very relaxed engineering culture, easy to coast if you want that. Some really cool guys in engineering. Lots of video games.

Cons

Very old tech stack, hard to stay current on modern software. The Charleston office doesn't care about the austin office. This is not Convio anymore. Lots of company Politics prevent the company from working well together.

Stop worrying about collecting your quarterly stock dividends. Invest in your 15 year old technology stack. Paying well under market rate to work on old technology isn't a good strategy.

Good place to go if you don't have anywhere else to work.

I have been working at Blackbaud

Pros

So long as you meet your goals for your department, no one bothers you much.

Cons

Middle management frequently sees their employees as machinery that affect/represent a number of some kind. There is rarely any consideration of the fact that the entry level workers are people in any way. Open door policy is a myth. If middle managers are even slightly inconvienenced in any way, expect your job to be difficult.

Make sure middle management walks the floor and knows what's going on with their employees and takes an interest in them as people. Insure non-supervisor employees are treated with dignity and stop relying on surveys to gauge employee satisfaction.