Blackbird Technologies

Peggy Styer

FSR

Current Employee - Field Service Representative in Clarksville, TN
    Current Employee - Field Service Representative in Clarksville, TN

I have been working at Blackbird Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, great people and environment

Cons

Gov contracting, not long term stable

Find ways to challenge your employees

I would not recommend working for this company.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I worked at Blackbird Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really can not think of anything really positive about my experience working for them. Challenging projects? Is that really something commendable? They paid me money.

Cons

They paid me lower than average for the area. I followed up with another job that paid better.
    . I worked there for many years and will never want to work there again nor recommend it.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Herndon, VA

I worked at Blackbird Technologies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As a intern, it was a great place to work since the work environment already was comfortable and in that fine balance between laid-back and serious work. Great support and summer experience.

Cons

Since it was in Herndon, traffic to work was about an hour taking Route 28 or I-66.

Good place for those interested in the small business workplace.

Former Employee - Information Technology in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Herndon, VA

I worked at Blackbird Technologies

Pros

Small business with some large business activity. Decent benefits package. Most employees are friendly and easy to work with. The company is less than 400, so there are some personalities to navigate. Not as much red tape or micromanagement as a very large organization.

Cons

Some employees still are holding on to the small business mentality, even though the company is growing. Occasionally different sets of rules for the employees with seniority.

Willingness to take a risk or to spend a little money in order to be proactive would go a long way towards efficiency and prevent problems in the long run.

Great Company, Great Benefits

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Blackbird Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company has excellent time off, 4 weeks paid vacation and 10 federal holidays. You couldn't as for more. It has allowed my wife and I to have more family time and just general down time when you need it.

The pay is also very good with BTI, not having a lot of over head means they can pay their employees more.

The company HR is awesome, very responsive which is important when you are working overseas and need support.

The company is growing rapidly and profits have been solid year after year.

Cons

Limited career advancement. The company has a set core competency and business model that revolves around a limited set of contracts for employees to work on. This limits that ability of people to advance within the company as most of the contract positions are for SMEs and operators and not managers. The other aspect I am not fond about is the higher of mostly former Special Forces operators. Given most of our work is a bit exciting I believe they are missing out on a lot of great talent.

I think the company is too limited in its scope. For a company to expand and grow you need to branch out into other areas and become more multi-dimensional

BTI has great experience in security both IT and Cyber and the other activities the company is involved in. But I believe the company is only focused on government contracts and business. BTI could become a leader in Cyber Security and other types of security if it wanted to branch out into business. Business consulting is an area I believe BTI should look to get into and leverage the experience of your current employees to gain new business in this area. Unlike government contracting, there is no price limit to what you can charge for business consulting.

I also believe BTI should look to hire more people outside of the SOF community. There is a lot of talent that is being over looked by focusing solely on SOF recruitment. To transform the company and grow it BTI is going to need more business savvy managers and business developers. Perhaps building out a small group that does only business development and looks to go after business security consulting.

Good money but lacking in management experience at the operational level

Former Employee - Field Service Representative in Kabul (Afghanistan)
    Former Employee - Field Service Representative in Kabul (Afghanistan)

I worked at Blackbird Technologies as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good money but no benefits for personnel rotating into Afghanistan on 90-day rotations.
    401k offered, but no matching contributions.

Cons

Operational level management consisted predominately of retired senior NCO's who lacked the management experience to successfully navigate the intricacies of dealing at both the strategic levels of the Afghan government and the operational level of the U.S. military and the Afghan military/police.
    They accepted a DoD contract that required personnel to be armed without having the necessary Federal Firearms License (FFL) or an export license to ship weapons to a war zone, which resulted in personnel deploying without weapons.
    In-country managers remoted themselves to a small base away from the main logistics/communications/transportation hub and the bulk of their operators which caused tremendous communication/logistical challenges that could have been avoided.
    No in-country healthcare, other than life or limb emergency care by the military.

Hire the most qualified individuals for each position, especially your operational managers, rather than relying on the good ol' boy network. While the good ol' boy network works to a point, it fails miserably when you put otherwise qualified operators into management positions for which they lack experience and it breeds an atmosphere of "don't ask questions, just shut up and enjoy your paycheck!" I saw this firsthand with in-country managers who rotated through during my deployment.