Blackboard

Blackboard Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Blackboard President & CEO Jay Bhatt

Jay Bhatt

Pros
  • I work remotely, so I find the work/life balance to be good(in 14 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule for some teams(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Extreme lack of work/life balance with push for earnings from consultants who are expected to be 80% billable every week(in 7 reviews)

• Lots of fighting and talking behind people's back from the upper management(in 7 reviews)

Decent place to work most of the time.

Various (Current Employee) Killeen, TX

ProsFast paced always growing environment which keeps things fresh and motivating. We help people with their higher education opportunities which is rewarding as well.

ConsPolitics reign over actual performance in many ways. Communication is also an issue between various lines of business.

Advice to Senior ManagementWrite some SOPs for communication, base performance off of acutal performance and not off of who you like the best or who you think is the best looking!

great mission but unfocused and decentralized

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Prosflexible work arrangement, depending on your manager, and fun people to work with most of the time. benefits are decent/normal but nothing to get excited about.

Consthere is no on going training in the company and also no room for growth, depending on the department you work in. with so many acquisitions, integration has been messy.

First decade was the best decade

Vice President (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsRapid growth, market dynamism, new opportunities for those who could seize them, aggressive and confidence culture, truly changed the industry.

ConsAs a public company, very difficult to invest in organic growth, so acquisitions became a key driver. This often meant that existing products did not evolve quickly enough in the market or adapt for new markets.

Advice to Senior ManagementBlackboard should really focus on innovation; it was a disruptor in its early days and technology companies that do not continue to disrupt their own models will likely find themselves on the receiving end.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Well on its way to a turnaround

Product Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat people, technology, and customers. Management team focused on combining the silos and on innovating. So much is changing in education, and technology can and should make a huge difference. Blackboard truly can and should be a driver of change in the global education market, mad the management seems to be taking the right steps in this direction.

ConsMany old processes and focus on business units, instead of customer-focused innovation. That is definitely changing with the new management team.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward risk, innovation, and customer focus.

Market leader and leading edge of eLearning innovation/delivery

Product Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat work-life balance, young and driven work force, new Senior Leadership team with great road map for new year.

ConsCommunication/prioritization issues between teams and products. Working on making the company less silo'ed.

Double standards

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPays more than minimum wage

ConsShould be paid more the way they work you. The workplace is filled with double standards and it's basically about who you know. I suppose it's a typical call center environment full of ghetto divas, gossiping adults, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementOperate fairly and take a look at some of the stats of the people you keep.

Good for a starter job...

Contracts Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsLaid-back atmosphere, casual wardrobe, absolutely fun coworkers, flexible work arrangements (work from home/ irregular hours). Free sodas? Sad I don't have more pros...

ConsNo promotion potential, less-than-average compensation, horrible health/ prescription coverage, pittance of "raises" upon yearly reviews

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lining the pockets of investors by cutting back on raises, benefits, compensation, promotions. etc. You get what you pay for... and those who find out too late will move on to a company who truly values them.

Merchant Services

Team Lead (Current Employee) Hagerstown, MD

ProsPay and worklife balance, OT is not required.

ConsHard to advance, mgmt is not available for their team

This company has a one-track mind...bottom line, to the detriment of its clients and employees.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsGood clients, flexible work hours, great co-workers.

ConsTerrible management. They have to constantly worry about revenue so make terrible decisions that impact the success of their clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementFlatten out the org chart. There are way too many chiefs. Invest a little more in your people's training, rather than throwing them to the wolves and then having to give away free services. Allow people to have some sort of work-life balance.

Great place to work

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsLearn and work on cutting edge technologies

ConsNot much salary increment annually

Advice to Senior ManagementRevise salary structure and salary increment annually

Worked for Blackboard? Contribute to the Community!