Blackboard Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
3.1

Blackboard President & CEO Jay Bhatt
Jay Bhatt

Pros
  • I work remotely, so I find the work/life balance to be good (in 17 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule for some teams (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Extreme lack of work/life balance with push for earnings from consultants who are expected to be 80% billable every week (in 8 reviews)

• Cannot challenge upper management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

It was good for an internship

I worked at Blackboard

Pros

People are very nice. I have nothing to complain. i miss the tutoring week for new intern for some legal reason, so that kind of affect me a lot in the coming months. i was totally not fully prepared.
    Group meeting every week.

Cons

not i noticed particularly. i think it's good environment for intern. have to been a full time employee to find something deeper i guess.

Good work life balance / Market is Catching up fast with the potential to make us Obsolete

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at Blackboard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Causal Dress.. ability to work from home whenever you want. Plenty of time to work out or handle personal business. You get to work with alot of smart and fun people. Heck you can even have a drink when you're in your office. Good products to sell with a great reputation to back them up. Great comp plan this year compared to bad ones in years past. Everyone knows Blackboard.

Cons

The industry is catching up and alot of BB products are becoming near obsolete. We sell more on name and not on as much on value /capabilities. We offer a solution that does less than other products at a premium price. Makes no sense. We are a company that sells training and education products, yet our own internal training leaves alot to be desired. Why not use the products we have to create strong internal training plans? Duh!!!

If you're going to sell products at a price premium be sure that it truly is a premium product based on capabilities and not just the name!

Not sure what's happening

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sherman Oaks, CA

I have been working at Blackboard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility with work hours for the most part, telecommuting is usually approved and all the managers are family oriented so they understand need for time off, doctors appointments, etc. The salary is great but I was hired before Blackboard acquired the company I started with.

Cons

Constant change of process and management, not enough employee training, minimal professional development opportunities. The last few years there have been constant layoffs across multiple departments. Stressful to think the next layoff may include you.

You are too top heavy. Take care of your employees by showing you care about them and offering professional development and advancement opportunities. Maybe this will help people work better together to make our clients happy.

Big changes, Not good for morale

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Blackboard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, and coworkers are amazing

Cons

No Work/Life Balance. The company keeps buying other smaller companies instead of advancing their product solutions. The result is the laying off of several talented individuals. Apply elsewhere until this company stabilizes.

Listen to your employees, the annual survey is done for a reason, not just a check in the box. Leadership needs to communicate more. Everything is spread through gossip by a few ell connected individuals

Once and former market leader now under poor management

Current Employee - Finance in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Finance in Washington, DC

I have been working at Blackboard full-time

Pros

Salary is competitive, corporate HQ is in a good location. Finally making progress on technology and moving the products forward.

Cons

Senior leadership is overly focused on the bottom line, and office politics often trump smart decision making. The company has RIF'd 100+ employees every year for the past 3 years, due to poor/flat revenue growth but the desire to achieve EBITDA targets at all costs. The lack of laying a foundation for the future may ultimately be a problem but execs will have moved on as soon as the company is resold or goes public.

Reeling

I have been working at Blackboard

Pros

Comprehensive solution that addresses wide variety of needs

Cons

No legitimacy of offering for instittions with serions problems

shape up

From exciting to painful.

I have been working at Blackboard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I met some of my life long friends here. Can wear Jeans.

Cons

Promotions within the company are very few. Email sent stating PTO cannot be taken, must work evening and weekends with no compensation. Modification to WFH 1 day a week few certain groups only. Cannot challenge upper management. Raises are 1-2%. Different information trickle down from the management group. There is a lot of secrets with management. Many useless meetings. Must give the same status to several different people in different words in different formats. Many people in management that does not seem to do much besides give your status.

Tell the employees what your plans are. Show some empathy. If you want a startup mentality, show how fun and exciting it really is. Hire managers and directors that have background knowledge of that department.

Poor Raises, No 401K match but great work life balance

I have been working at Blackboard

Pros

Good work life balance
    Great vacation package

Cons

Does not invest in employee training
    Wont invest in US recruiting. Slowly moving product development to Shangai, China
    Terrible Senior Management

Good place to make an impact in the world and help students with their education!

Current Employee - Employed Observer in Somerset, KY
    Current Employee - Employed Observer in Somerset, KY

I have been working at Blackboard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay for sure, best in the area for entry level. Good opportunities to move up to higher level positions. The type of work is awesome. We help students address their problems so they can focus on learning. Great people and managers at the locations. Management really seems to care in Somerset even though their corporate counterparts tend to make their jobs hard. The culture in Somerset is really like one very large family and everyone tries to help each other. The big boss in Somerset is a guy you can talk to and he really believes in what we are doing, helping students! He can be competitive and really pushes everyone to pitch in and help each other.

Cons

Seasonal hiring leaves new advisors feeling unsure about the future of their jobs. Staffing is often cut to the bones leaving those working to carry a large load. Corporate DC team not engaged with the centers and tends to send down unachievable goals with no resources to make it happen. There is a tendency to look down on the center personnel that are working directly with students as if we are just tools to be replaced. Corporate team hurts culture with poor processes (payroll as an example) and planning. The do not seem to listen to center managers.

Focus on the work in the centers. This is where the action is. Help your center managers improve the culture by engaging and taking their issues seriously. Address their issues more quickly and show you care about the people in the centers (they are the largest group of Bb employees in the company).

Overall good

I have been working at Blackboard

Pros

They invest in folks they believe in

Cons

Very political and tough to get things done