Blackboard Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
3.3

Blackboard President & CEO Jay Bhatt
Jay Bhatt

Pros
  • I work remotely, so I find the work/life balance to be good (in 14 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule for some teams (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Extreme lack of work/life balance with push for earnings from consultants who are expected to be 80% billable every week (in 7 reviews)

• Lots of fighting and talking behind people's back from the upper management (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to make an impact in the world and help students with their education!

Current Employee - Employed Observer  in  Somerset, KY
    Current Employee - Employed Observer in Somerset, KY

I have been working at Blackboard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great pay for sure, best in the area for entry level. Good opportunities to move up to higher level positions. The type of work is awesome. We help students address their problems so they can focus on learning. Great people and managers at the locations. Management really seems to care in Somerset even though their corporate counterparts tend to make their jobs hard. The culture in Somerset is really like one very large family and everyone tries to help each other. The big boss in Somerset is a guy you can talk to and he really believes in what we are doing, helping students! He can be competitive and really pushes everyone to pitch in and help each other.

Cons

Seasonal hiring leaves new advisors feeling unsure about the future of their jobs. Staffing is often cut to the bones leaving those working to carry a large load. Corporate DC team not engaged with the centers and tends to send down unachievable goals with no resources to make it happen. There is a tendency to look down on the center personnel that are working directly with students as if we are just tools to be replaced. Corporate team hurts culture with poor processes (payroll as an example) and planning. The do not seem to listen to center managers.

Focus on the work in the centers. This is where the action is. Help your center managers improve the culture by engaging and taking their issues seriously. Address their issues more quickly and show you care about the people in the centers (they are the largest group of Bb employees in the company).

Blackboard connect

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sherman Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sherman Oaks, CA

I worked at Blackboard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Health Insurance coverage is great, and the PTO

Cons

No room for growth, lay offs every year around Sept - Dec. Getting more sales based and not customer based. Stingy with pay increases. Upper management receives results of yearly surveys on employee feedback and does nothing with it. The employees just continue on and become jaded and it reflects in their work

Create more of a work/life balance. Listen to your company feed back ans yearly surveys.

Poor Raises, No 401K match but great work life balance

I have been working at Blackboard

Pros

Good work life balance
    Great vacation package

Cons

Does not invest in employee training
    Wont invest in US recruiting. Slowly moving product development to Shangai, China
    Terrible Senior Management

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall good

I have been working at Blackboard

Pros

They invest in folks they believe in

Cons

Very political and tough to get things done

Good place to work

I have been working at Blackboard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very good work life balance. Good technology to work with.

Cons

Unclear about lots of changes happening at the moment

NONE

Great work life balance, but that's about it.

I worked at Blackboard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The only things positive about working for Blackboard were the friends I made along the way and the great work life balance. The latter is one of the only reasons why so many people have stuck with the company for as long as they have.

Cons

Raises are a joke and don't cover the cost of inflation, let alone increasing health care plan costs which have gone up year over year. Outside of Sales and Customer Success, no bonuses are doled out to anyone below a director level position. And even for some of those who still receive bonuses, these too have become a joke.

If you don't work on the LMS platform, Learn, then management doesn't seem to know or care about what you do. All resources are being allocated to revamping that old technology as a last ditch effort to maintain competitive in the space, and in all other divisions, resources are being cut left and right with layoffs taking place every week. Those who are left are faced with unrealistic expectations and timelines - project deadlines are set in stone even while the employees assigned to the projects are dropping like flies. As a result, there has been a huge knowledge drain and many of the support staff have been left ill-equipped to support their own products.

The constant cycle of reorganizing and laying off and reorganizing and laying off on top of the overly complicated processes and procedures that have been developed have resulted in frustrated and confused employees who feel overworked and under appreciated. There are so many layers upon layers of people required to get anything done that nothing gets done. Just as bad, no one, not even executive management, knows who to go to for the simplest of tasks

In sum, the management seems to care only about the bottom line. People are not people, they're numbers and disposable and replaceable.

Don't say one thing and do another. You come off as disingenuous and are losing the trust of your people. If you care, then show up, often (once a year is not enough), and show up on time. Don't be late to your own meetings or plan them at the last minute with no agenda. Also, know your audience when you're at these events.

Cash Analyst

I worked at Blackboard

Pros

Very comfortable environment to work in. You don't even have to dress up

Cons

Turnover rate is high due to the organization restructuring the company thats been going on for about 3 years with layoffs happening every Sept.

Consider ironing out in what direction the company is going in to avoid constant layoffs.

Client Care

I have been working at Blackboard as an intern

Pros

Excellent place to work. Everyone in the office is friendly, and they are not afraid to have fun. Work hard, play hard environment.

Cons

Sometimes the workload could be a bit boring, but the people around you in the office keep your mind attentive.

I would advise management to make sure they are innovating as technology is changing. I'm not quite sure how or if they are doing this, but I believe it is imperative for every tech company to do so.

It was okay, if you have other opportunities I suggest you go with another company.

Current Employee - Market Development  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Market Development in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Blackboard full-time for less than a year

Pros

Big, well known company. Work-life balance was good.

Cons

Organization was terrible. No one communicated well each other. The different platforms never knew what the other ones were doing. It is such a large company that all the offices all over the world all have different ways of doing things. Everyone high up in the company quit so there was chaos all the time.

Get your leaders in the company on the same page because it has an affect on everyone's title and job.

Working to improve education is fun!

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Product Marketing
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Product Marketing

I have been working at Blackboard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I get to work for a for-profit company but I get to work in the education industry and actually help schools do a better job of preparing kids for the world. I find a lot of satisfaction in that and I really like coming to work everyday. Also, Blackboard is a tech company that is really focused now on building the best products.

Cons

We just reorganized and so there is some of the typical change that happens. New leadership is very different but seems to have a handle on the direction. We have a clear mission and vision now, which is nice.

Let's execute on the customer-first idea that we keep talking about. It's time to put it into action.

Worked for Blackboard? Contribute to the Community!