Blackboard Reviews

Updated August 20, 2014

3.3

Blackboard President & CEO Jay Bhatt
Jay Bhatt

Pros
  • I work remotely, so I find the work/life balance to be good (in 14 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule for some teams (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Extreme lack of work/life balance with push for earnings from consultants who are expected to be 80% billable every week (in 7 reviews)

• Lots of fighting and talking behind people's back from the upper management (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall good

I have been working at Blackboard

Pros

They invest in folks they believe in

Cons

Very political and tough to get things done

Good place to work

I have been working at Blackboard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very good work life balance. Good technology to work with.

Cons

Unclear about lots of changes happening at the moment

NONE

Good place to make an impact in the world and help students with their education!

Current Employee - Employed Observer  in  Somerset, KY
    Current Employee - Employed Observer in Somerset, KY

I have been working at Blackboard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great pay for sure, best in the area for entry level. Good opportunities to move up to higher level positions. The type of work is awesome. We help students address their problems so they can focus on learning. Great people and managers at the locations. Management really seems to care in Somerset even though their corporate counterparts tend to make their jobs hard. The culture in Somerset is really like one very large family and everyone tries to help each other. The big boss in Somerset is a guy you can talk to and he really believes in what we are doing, helping students! He can be competitive and really pushes everyone to pitch in and help each other.

Cons

Seasonal hiring leaves new advisors feeling unsure about the future of their jobs. Staffing is often cut to the bones leaving those working to carry a large load. Corporate DC team not engaged with the centers and tends to send down unachievable goals with no resources to make it happen. There is a tendency to look down on the center personnel that are working directly with students as if we are just tools to be replaced. Corporate team hurts culture with poor processes (payroll as an example) and planning. The do not seem to listen to center managers.

Focus on the work in the centers. This is where the action is. Help your center managers improve the culture by engaging and taking their issues seriously. Address their issues more quickly and show you care about the people in the centers (they are the largest group of Bb employees in the company).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Client Care

I have been working at Blackboard as an intern

Pros

Excellent place to work. Everyone in the office is friendly, and they are not afraid to have fun. Work hard, play hard environment.

Cons

Sometimes the workload could be a bit boring, but the people around you in the office keep your mind attentive.

I would advise management to make sure they are innovating as technology is changing. I'm not quite sure how or if they are doing this, but I believe it is imperative for every tech company to do so.

Cash Analyst

I worked at Blackboard

Pros

Very comfortable environment to work in. You don't even have to dress up

Cons

Turnover rate is high due to the organization restructuring the company thats been going on for about 3 years with layoffs happening every Sept.

Consider ironing out in what direction the company is going in to avoid constant layoffs.

Dedicated smart team, great company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Blackboard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company, good products and technology, team members and company as a whole are all dedicated to the work and to the larger mission of improving education. Nice to work at a place that other people recognize (oh, my kids use that!) and where people generally think highly of the company.

Cons

Long hours during busy times of the year, high expectations are put on everyone, and it can be very demanding at times. Frustrating when work "firedrills" seem to be the norm. Political environment, can be hard to break into inner circles.

Show your employees - at all levels - that you value them and their contributions.

Intern

Current Employee - Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at Blackboard as an intern for less than a year

Pros

No coffee runs! Colaborative work environment. Senior management is comitted to helping you succeed. Great location

Cons

Not always enough work, but is often the case with many internships.

It was okay, if you have other opportunities I suggest you go with another company.

Current Employee - Market Development  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Market Development in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Blackboard full-time for less than a year

Pros

Big, well known company. Work-life balance was good.

Cons

Organization was terrible. No one communicated well each other. The different platforms never knew what the other ones were doing. It is such a large company that all the offices all over the world all have different ways of doing things. Everyone high up in the company quit so there was chaos all the time.

Get your leaders in the company on the same page because it has an affect on everyone's title and job.

Working to improve education is fun!

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Product Marketing
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Product Marketing

I have been working at Blackboard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I get to work for a for-profit company but I get to work in the education industry and actually help schools do a better job of preparing kids for the world. I find a lot of satisfaction in that and I really like coming to work everyday. Also, Blackboard is a tech company that is really focused now on building the best products.

Cons

We just reorganized and so there is some of the typical change that happens. New leadership is very different but seems to have a handle on the direction. We have a clear mission and vision now, which is nice.

Let's execute on the customer-first idea that we keep talking about. It's time to put it into action.

Consultant

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Blackboard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people. Good benefits including PTO. Good pay. Work from home (if you are ever home).

Cons

Poor leadership that is very reactive due to budget constraints placed upon them by private equity ownership. Extreme lack of work/life balance with push for earnings from consultants who are expected to be 80% billable every week. Bonuses do not match expectations. No advancement opportunities. No opportunity for career development. Feel like a workhorse. We don't provide the best consultants for each job which is a horrible disservice to our clients.

Get a grip on the reality of the situation you are asking your employees to perform. Put yourselves in their shoes. No job is worth never being at home and being at a career dead end.

Worked for Blackboard? Contribute to the Community!