Blackboard Reviews

Updated March 23, 2015
191 reviews filtered by
Blackboard President & CEO Jay Bhatt
Jay Bhatt

Pros
  • I work remotely, so I find the work/life balance to be good (in 18 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule for some teams (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Extreme lack of work/life balance with push for earnings from consultants who are expected to be 80% billable every week (in 8 reviews)

• Cannot challenge upper management (in 8 reviews)

1. Awesome company , not sure why there are so many complaints.

Current Employee - Managed Hosting Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Managed Hosting Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Blackboard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a big global company so there will be challenges with communication from time to time, but I've always found everyone to be extremely responsive and helpful despite being in a remote office far away from DC.
    Whenever we find bugs or need clarification on functionality I frequently can speak directly with one of the developers who can walk me through the issue and provide feedback even if we are located in different offices or timezones.

There have been a lot of improvements in the QA process, leading to better performance with Learn and fewer regression bugs. We have good visibility into this process and are able to make suggestions to keep the product as robust as possible. Developers are also more than willing to take on suggestions to help improve the client experience.

I never have issues dealing with staff from the other product lines that we've brought on via acquisitions. It's as if they've been within Blackboard the whole time. Management seems to plan well to ensure the integrations with acquired companies go smoothly , mostly for the sake of the clients of course. No client wants to feel like they are dealing with different companies internally when needing support across the various integrated product lines. From the client's perspective it's all just one company after all.

Cons

The standards are so high sometimes I wonder if I can keep up with it all. Everything we implement has to be carefully documented and reviewed. Band-aid solutions are discouraged even if we are short on time. Even with minor issues we are required to get to the root cause and find solutions that are long-term viable.

Consider hiring more managers and appointing internal people to the director position. We need more leadership at the top. It's really not important if someone has technical knowledge of Learn and the other products. It's more important to attract people who can really sell the software and convince clients that our products can do everything they need. The managed hosting applications pretty much just run well without intervention given the improved stability recently in the product, so we might not need so many bodies chasing down minor issues moving forward.

Special culture before going private

I worked at Blackboard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing talent at all levels
    Work hard, play hard culture
    Strong benefits
    Management empower employees

Cons

Work-life balance was hard to achieve.
    Major brain drain.

Appreciate your talent.

3. Sr. Application Architect

Current Employee - Senior Applications Architect in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Architect in Sherman Oaks, CA

I have been working at Blackboard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible hours
    great benefits package

Cons

sinking ship
    all the work is being sent offshore

don't try to run all the divisions the same way

5. Highly motivated

I worked at Blackboard

Pros

Really bright, motivated staff from top to bottom. Compensation was on par with Industry standards. Amazing growth and opportunities when I was there. Fantastic company culture.

Cons

Few, moved offices way to often.

6. Intern for Short Project

I have been working at Blackboard

Pros

It was a great experience working as an Intern at BB. People were all nice, friendly, and helpful.

Cons

It's hard to comment on this because my stint was only Summer of 2014. I think the company was great for my experience, albeit, limited.

Keep hiring Interns.

7. great place.

I worked at Blackboard

Pros

low call volume. great supervisors

Cons

low pay, long hours

Outsourced

I have been working at Blackboard

Pros

Can't think of any at this time...

Cons

This company used to be good before they brought in Jay Bhatt. Ever since then they have been consolidating in the US and moving a good portion of those jobs overseas to their Brno and Shanghai locations. The told us they were "globalizing". In my office they laid off over a dozen people (including myself) and hired almost a dozen in Shanghai. Blackboard is just another good for nothing corporation that is shipping good American jobs overseas. Forget about working there if you make over 60k a year because they will just have you train your replacement in Shanghai and kick you to the curb after they squeeze the knowledge outta ya.

9. Making a Difference

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Blackboard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In my positions, I have always been given the leeway and empowerment to do what I need to do to get the job done. I have always been lucky enough to work for good bosses, and I have always gotten the support I needed. When first employed, I was underpaid for the role I was in, but my management team corrected it on my behalf.

Cons

There is a lot of change taking place. There have been re-orgs, priority shifts, and resource allocation changes, and some good people have wound up looking for other employment.

I've dealt with change my entire adult professional life, and so I can handle it, but if you can't, this might not be the place for you. In fairness, once some of the current goals are realized, this change may settle down a bit.

I am happy with the benefits that are provided, but I have always found it curious that a Company that is a major player in education has no tuition assistance/reimbursement program.

Meh...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Blackboard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Young and energetic and surface level a modern place to work.

Cons

The politics at the executive level trickle down and muddy the day to day interactions of the employees.It is NOT a collaborative environment. Information share only occurs if it benefits the person who has the information. Its a very clique oriented work environment. Their focus is on the business at the expense of the employees. No problem throwing an employee under the bus to suit the business needs. No training is given or career path direction. ALOT of people have left!

You've heard happy wife makes a happy life... Happy employees make a booming business. Get rid of the political landmines.

11. Okay company

Former Employee - Renewal Operations Analyst in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Renewal Operations Analyst in Reston, VA

I worked at Blackboard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very flexible Organization.
    Good Work from home policy

Cons

It took forever for my team to get its quarterly bonus. Didn't receive for 9 months.

More involved manager committees to its staff. Provide more direction to employees