Blackboard

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014

Blackboard President & CEO Jay Bhatt
Jay Bhatt

Pros
  • I work remotely, so I find the work/life balance to be good (in 18 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule for some teams (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Extreme lack of work/life balance with push for earnings from consultants who are expected to be 80% billable every week (in 8 reviews)

• Cannot challenge upper management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Maturing start-up culture

I worked at Blackboard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are serious in what they do and interested in helping their customers solve their problems.

Cons

Going through adjustment with new competition and new CEO.

Stabilize the environment so that people feel that they have opportunities and a stake in the company,

Okay but really disruptive right now

I worked at Blackboard

Pros

Culture is really casual, but with good, committed people, especially on the product side. Great intentions and lots of opportunities to move and grow..

Cons

Really suffering over the last two years with new VC ownership. Constant reorgs and the general market space has flattened sales which has pressured management to cut a lot of corners. A lot of those corners were in people with the excuse that reorgs were necessary to align new business strategy. Reality was that Sr Mgmt had to make the numbers and they cut people to save in short term while hedging long-term with standard reorg finance/accounting shifts. Wasted a lot of money on Management Consulting expertise and ignored 90% because the required investment in OPEX personnel was too much. All go forward investments had to be packaged in CAPEX or other non-ops vehicles hence external, short-term resources are plugging the holes.

Get real on what it takes to build a professional corporate management structure. 3 years under new management and you still haven't updated core corporate governance, policies and procedures. Reorg, reorg, reorg is reactionary. My group was reorg'd 4 times in less than 18 months, and is still running with only interim leadership.

Once quite satisfied and engaged, not so much anymore.

I have been working at Blackboard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility with work and schedule. Directors trust you that (assuming they think you're smart) you'll get your work done. Working on products that have that ability to directly impact students/teachers/parents lives for the better.

Cons

Since the company underwent a re-organization about 1.5 years ago, there are constantly changing procedures, reports, and general lack of focus on the larger vision of the company. Tunnel vision on the more glamorous products but not looking at the overall picture.

Overall, great experience.

I worked at Blackboard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall great experience with this place. If you want to move up you have to take it upon yourself to reach out to the right people and put in the work. They were very flexible when it came to work arrangements. You could work from home even if you had an office space available.

Cons

too many acquisitions in short amount of time caused a lot of confusion. Very decentralized.

Sales Account Executive

Current Employee - Sales Account Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Account Executive

I have been working at Blackboard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I think if you are in a different market space such as NAHE or K-12 selling the core Learn solutions, there is a lot of support and focus here and Sales Reps tend to stay very long.

Cons

In my particular group focused on the Commercial Market selling one point Saas solution, there are barely any resources or support to assist you with bringing on new customers. You are on your own. Things have gone from bad to worse and many people are gone in Product Mgt.

If you want this emerging Market to succeed, focus some time and attention on it.

Great Company but with a few issues

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Blackboard as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Laid back, can work from home, there is a lot of potential for internal growth

Cons

Lots of internal politics get in the way of the actual job. Lots of talk of "mission vision values" but it's unclear what they are. At times felt under valued.

Utilize all employees.

Great company!

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Blackboard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Blackboard is on the other side of a massive restructuring. The company is in a good place now.

Cons

All the change has tired out people a bit. That said, things are getting better and morale is on the way up.

More frequent employee performance reviews. There is a lot of great talent in the company and those individuals deserve recognition.

Good company, smart people.

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Blackboard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work life balance and schedule flexibility.

Cons

Company direction isn't always clear.

Employees want to do a good job. Let them.

It was good for an internship

I worked at Blackboard

Pros

People are very nice. I have nothing to complain. i miss the tutoring week for new intern for some legal reason, so that kind of affect me a lot in the coming months. i was totally not fully prepared.
    Group meeting every week.

Cons

not i noticed particularly. i think it's good environment for intern. have to been a full time employee to find something deeper i guess.

Good work life balance / Market is Catching up fast with the potential to make us Obsolete

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at Blackboard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Causal Dress.. ability to work from home whenever you want. Plenty of time to work out or handle personal business. You get to work with alot of smart and fun people. Heck you can even have a drink when you're in your office. Good products to sell with a great reputation to back them up. Great comp plan this year compared to bad ones in years past. Everyone knows Blackboard.

Cons

The industry is catching up and alot of BB products are becoming near obsolete. We sell more on name and not on as much on value /capabilities. We offer a solution that does less than other products at a premium price. Makes no sense. We are a company that sells training and education products, yet our own internal training leaves alot to be desired. Why not use the products we have to create strong internal training plans? Duh!!!

If you're going to sell products at a price premium be sure that it truly is a premium product based on capabilities and not just the name!