Blackboard

Blackboard Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Blackboard President & CEO Jay Bhatt

Jay Bhatt

Pros
  • I work remotely, so I find the work/life balance to be good(in 13 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule for some teams(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Extreme lack of work/life balance with push for earnings from consultants who are expected to be 80% billable every week(in 7 reviews)

• Lots of fighting and talking behind people's back from the upper management(in 7 reviews)

Client Care

ProsExcellent place to work. Everyone in the office is friendly, and they are not afraid to have fun. Work hard, play hard environment.

ConsSometimes the workload could be a bit boring, but the people around you in the office keep your mind attentive.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise management to make sure they are innovating as technology is changing. I'm not quite sure how or if they are doing this, but I believe it is imperative for every tech company to do so.

Dedicated smart team, great company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat company, good products and technology, team members and company as a whole are all dedicated to the work and to the larger mission of improving education. Nice to work at a place that other people recognize (oh, my kids use that!) and where people generally think highly of the company.

ConsLong hours during busy times of the year, high expectations are put on everyone, and it can be very demanding at times. Frustrating when work "firedrills" seem to be the norm. Political environment, can be hard to break into inner circles.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow your employees - at all levels - that you value them and their contributions.

Intern

Intern (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsNo coffee runs! Colaborative work environment. Senior management is comitted to helping you succeed. Great location

ConsNot always enough work, but is often the case with many internships.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working to improve education is fun!

Senior Manager, Product Marketing (Current Employee)

ProsI get to work for a for-profit company but I get to work in the education industry and actually help schools do a better job of preparing kids for the world. I find a lot of satisfaction in that and I really like coming to work everyday. Also, Blackboard is a tech company that is really focused now on building the best products.

ConsWe just reorganized and so there is some of the typical change that happens. New leadership is very different but seems to have a handle on the direction. We have a clear mission and vision now, which is nice.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet's execute on the customer-first idea that we keep talking about. It's time to put it into action.

Consultant

Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat people. Good benefits including PTO. Good pay. Work from home (if you are ever home).

ConsPoor leadership that is very reactive due to budget constraints placed upon them by private equity ownership. Extreme lack of work/life balance with push for earnings from consultants who are expected to be 80% billable every week. Bonuses do not match expectations. No advancement opportunities. No opportunity for career development. Feel like a workhorse. We don't provide the best consultants for each job which is a horrible disservice to our clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a grip on the reality of the situation you are asking your employees to perform. Put yourselves in their shoes. No job is worth never being at home and being at a career dead end.

Despite good pay, would never go back.

Technical Support Agent (Former Employee) Somerset, KY

ProsIt's the best paying job in the area, for the least amount of actual physical work.

Most employees, from entry-level to supervisors, are all pretty good people and, though they're given a heavy, difficult load, you can tell they're doing the best with what they're given.

ConsThe company doesn't seem to really care about it's clients, and often times cuts corners.

Because of management decisions, what should be considered and easy job is needlessly and overly stressful. Head honchos are getting raises and bonuses while the equipment that employees are expected to work can go unpaired for months, if not entire years, at a time. Everyone is stressed, and most employees I worked with, including myself, were desperate to get away, some taking jobs that pay less. All the while, those who do stay have to deal with poor communication, feeling completely without value as not only employees but people. Half the time, management doesn't even know what's going on from day to day.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement at actual locations is just doing their best, so I have very little to say to them other than keep doing what you're doing, though you could take the suggestions and complaints of your employees a little more seriously. To the upper management, try being honest and productive rather than rich. Work towards the betterment of your company and your reputation, rather than the lining of your own pockets.

Great co-workers, lousy environment, low pay

ProsThe people you work along side are helpful, friendly, and a pleasure to be around. DBA's are good for the most part. Direct management respects everyone's personal life, lifestyle, etc. They are very flexible and understanding with everyone's needs. PTO is fair. Challenging work where you learn and keeps you going the entire shift.

ConsNo 401k matching, work location is fair at best. Pay is the pits. Lots and lots of work; tough work. Even tougher deadlines. Far too much for each person to do and no incentive to get it done.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay to keep good employees. Increase staffing to keep sanity.

Great place to work. Good purpose / mission. The people are awesome and great opportunities.

Director, Technical Services (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe people are the best reason to work at Bb. They hire smart, driven, dedicated people. At the time, the culture was pretty positive and collaborative.

ConsBb was going through a lot of transition with the new CEO. They seemed to be struggling to sell and meet sales targets. Within Consulting, they were struggling with redefining themselves as a strategic consulting partner.

Advice to Senior ManagementNA.

Like an IQ, Blackboard is a measure of potential….

ProsThe ability make a difference in people’s lives around the world

The opportunity to work with passionate, talented and caring co-workers

ConsIn general, leadership lacks substantive education experience

Departments are top-heavy

Recently announced mission on website demonstrates a lack of education industry understanding (please excuse the use of the term “industry”) and is beyond the company’s ability to actually affect. It is outside the company’s core competencies. Educators and researchers reimagine and shape the future of education through innovative pedagogies. Blackboard is a company whose software enables such pedagogies.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe humble, take time to truly learn education by spending time at the schools and listening, redirect dollars from top-heady leadership to R&D and hire future leadership with a relevant track record of proven success and ability to manage at scale.

On the right track

ProsFor the most part, very smart people working together towards common goals.

ConsAs the company was created through various acquisitions, there are still communication barriers between certain parts of the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuickly lose the dead weight (they aren't that hard to spot) and hire more development talent.

Worked for Blackboard? Contribute to the Community!