Blackboard

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015

Blackboard President & CEO Jay Bhatt
Jay Bhatt

Pros
  • I work remotely, so I find the work/life balance to be good (in 18 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule for some teams (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Extreme lack of work/life balance with push for earnings from consultants who are expected to be 80% billable every week (in 8 reviews)

• Cannot challenge upper management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Blackboard vs the world: if you work in "International," expect to be forgotten.

I have been working at Blackboard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary is alright. They leave you alone to do whatever it is that you do. This is the nicer side of the same coin as the cons tho. The international teams are tight-knit and solid, but rarely get recognition for their contributions.

Cons

It's not a global company, it's an American company with ill-served, understaffed satellite offices "in international." Don't ever expect to move up if you don't work in DC or NoVA. They don't even remember that you're out there unless you break things constantly and cause problems for people who are.

You're doing it wrong.

Fantastic company to work for!

I have been working at Blackboard

Pros

I've really enjoyed my time at Bb. The people are a key selling point and most are go-getters. The company is very flexible in terms of family-work balance and everyday I learn something new.

Cons

I think the company could do more around management training offered and mentorship programs.

An okay place to work, if you're hired directly by Blackboard

Former Employee - Technical Support in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blackboard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They are a VERY large company, with alot of possibilities for growth. Also, they have many departments in many locations, which makes it even better.

Cons

After buying my (then-)company, they slowly changed everything about our processes to match theirs. Their insistence on "their way is the only way" caused a great degradation in our product and support.

Compensation for a similar job in different departments should be different, since the necessary work is different.

You can have a lot of success here, but you'll be the only one who knows it.

I have been working at Blackboard

Pros

Good benefits. Flexible work schedule.

Cons

Constant reorganizations. Frequent M&As. No focus on personal growth.

Consider trying something and seeing if it sticks.

Used to be good

I have been working at Blackboard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Has leading edge technology, very intelligent people to work with.

Cons

Was bought by a vulture capital company, who is stripping the company to its bare bones. Replacing most of the people with overseas work force.

No advice needed. They know what they're doing.

meh

I have been working at Blackboard

Pros

I have decent colleagues, good friends, and work with smart people.

Cons

Blackboard corporate culture is firmly embedded in the DC area. This is not a global company, regardless of how many international offices we have. You really have to whine and moan loudly to get anything done if you're a remote employee or work from one of the international offices. If you're remote or international, you are a second-class employee, full stop.

Blackboard is laughable when it comes to benefits. They do whatever is the minimum, and HR is constantly sending update emails about how they're taking away things. Its gotten to the point where all the company cares about is the bottom line. Your reward and incentive here is not getting fired.

This is Blackboard, not Autodesk. Stop putting your goons in management, get your heads out of your arse, and realize that the bottom line isnt always the best way to run a company. People are pissed off, morale is horrible. Do something about it!

A company with great potential to change the world, but struggling to change their direction

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Blackboard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong Name Recognition
    Large Base of Customers
    Leading in the Education Market
    Flexible Working Conditions

Cons

Constant Management Change
    Disjointed Strategy
    Inability to Develop Realistic Compensation Plans that Incent Behavior
    Products that don't work
    Failure to Retain Employees
    Lack of Higher Education Experience in Senior Management
    Marketing Strategy that doesn't leverage the "uniqueness" of the Education Market

Stabilize the Product base
    Link the functionality of the products to provide more value
    Immerse the company in the Higher Education Community
    Seek the opinion of long term, successful employees
    Create reasonable compensation plans

Smart, dedicated, earnest people; Lack of focus, lack of direction, all but flagship products are severely marginalized

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Blackboard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people
    Good salary
    Relaxed work environment
    Good work/life balance
    Good ancillary benefits
    Adequate health coverage

Cons

Low morale across company
    Constant reorgs
    Only the flagship product -- Learn -- is treated with any dignity or seriousness. All other products go to Bb to die a slow death. I speak from the POV of an employee of a smaller, acquired company in the same market space with a product directly competing with Learn.

Bb is a fine place to work. But if you are going to work for Bb, find a position working with Learn in some way, and working in the DC HQ or Reston technology HQ. All other offices are treated as second class citizens.

I know this wasn't the work of the current management team, but if you are going to buy a competitor, just kill the product outright, or actually support it and provide resources, care, and feeding for it.

Review

I have been working at Blackboard

Pros

Pro: Office Friendly Nice Curteous respectful

Cons

Con: nothing at all, very good.

Advice

Okay but really disruptive right now

I worked at Blackboard

Pros

Culture is really casual, but with good, committed people, especially on the product side. Great intentions and lots of opportunities to move and grow..

Cons

Really suffering over the last two years with new VC ownership. Constant reorgs and the general market space has flattened sales which has pressured management to cut a lot of corners. A lot of those corners were in people with the excuse that reorgs were necessary to align new business strategy. Reality was that Sr Mgmt had to make the numbers and they cut people to save in short term while hedging long-term with standard reorg finance/accounting shifts. Wasted a lot of money on Management Consulting expertise and ignored 90% because the required investment in OPEX personnel was too much. All go forward investments had to be packaged in CAPEX or other non-ops vehicles hence external, short-term resources are plugging the holes.

Get real on what it takes to build a professional corporate management structure. 3 years under new management and you still haven't updated core corporate governance, policies and procedures. Reorg, reorg, reorg is reactionary. My group was reorg'd 4 times in less than 18 months, and is still running with only interim leadership.