Blackboard

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Blackboard President & CEO Jay Bhatt

Jay Bhatt

54 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Dedicated smart team, great company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGreat company, good products and technology, team members and company as a whole are all dedicated to the work and to the larger mission of improving education. Nice to work at a place that other people recognize (oh, my kids use that!) and where people generally think highly of the company.

ConsLong hours during busy times of the year, high expectations are put on everyone, and it can be very demanding at times. Frustrating when work "firedrills" seem to be the norm. Political environment, can be hard to break into inner circles.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow your employees - at all levels - that you value them and their contributions.

Intern

Intern (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsNo coffee runs! Colaborative work environment. Senior management is comitted to helping you succeed. Great location

ConsNot always enough work, but is often the case with many internships.

Great place to work. Good purpose / mission. The people are awesome and great opportunities.

Director, Technical Services (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsThe people are the best reason to work at Bb. They hire smart, driven, dedicated people. At the time, the culture was pretty positive and collaborative.

ConsBb was going through a lot of transition with the new CEO. They seemed to be struggling to sell and meet sales targets. Within Consulting, they were struggling with redefining themselves as a strategic consulting partner.

Advice to Senior ManagementNA.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Consultant

Consultant (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGreat people. Good benefits including PTO. Good pay. Work from home (if you are ever home).

ConsPoor leadership that is very reactive due to budget constraints placed upon them by private equity ownership. Extreme lack of work/life balance with push for earnings from consultants who are expected to be 80% billable every week. Bonuses do not match expectations. No advancement opportunities. No opportunity for career development. Feel like a workhorse. We don't provide the best consultants for each job which is a horrible disservice to our clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a grip on the reality of the situation you are asking your employees to perform. Put yourselves in their shoes. No job is worth never being at home and being at a career dead end.

Fantastic company - a lot of work though

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsI've been at Bb for nearly 6 years now. I work remotely, so I find the work/life balance to be good. That being said, I do work far more than 40 hours a week. There are lots of opportunities to learn/try to new things because there are always lots of things to do here at Blackboard. People are professional and smart and fun to work with.

ConsI do work more than 40 hours. The pay raises are very meager (not even enough to keep up with inflation these days) and as of right now, I'm paid a little less than I'm worth. There is no real career path in most of the roles here...but you do get a lot of experience because you do a breadth of projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think if you can't offer more money (higher raises), consider giving more time off or investing in employees personal growth by sending them to seminars and/or courses.

Great Ed Tech Company.

Director (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsNeed to be OK with change as the company is working through an evolution from product to solution specific. Very passionate team.

ConsFew opportunities for formal training, professional development is mainly via on-the-job projects. However, there are plenty of opportunities for OTJ learning.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncreased transparency and cadence of communication.

Fun Work Environment

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsWorking here is fast-paced and fun. Lots of learning on the job and new projects to keep you interested. Most people actually really care about teaching and learning, which was a big surprise to me.

ConsBusy work, too many meetings and PowerPoints.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should make it more clear how to get a raise. I got an excellent review, but I can't figure out how to translate that into a raise or a bonus.

Market leader and leading edge of eLearning innovation/delivery

Product Manager (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGreat work-life balance, young and driven work force, new Senior Leadership team with great road map for new year.

ConsCommunication/prioritization issues between teams and products. Working on making the company less silo'ed.

great mission but unfocused and decentralized

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

Prosflexible work arrangement, depending on your manager, and fun people to work with most of the time. benefits are decent/normal but nothing to get excited about.

Consthere is no on going training in the company and also no room for growth, depending on the department you work in. with so many acquisitions, integration has been messy.

Good for a starter job...

Contracts Manager (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsLaid-back atmosphere, casual wardrobe, absolutely fun coworkers, flexible work arrangements (work from home/ irregular hours). Free sodas? Sad I don't have more pros...

ConsNo promotion potential, less-than-average compensation, horrible health/ prescription coverage, pittance of "raises" upon yearly reviews

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lining the pockets of investors by cutting back on raises, benefits, compensation, promotions. etc. You get what you pay for... and those who find out too late will move on to a company who truly values them.

Worked for Blackboard? Contribute to the Community!

Blackboard Videos

Blackboard – Why Work for Us?

We are here to reimagine education. We're shaping the future of education with big ideas that challenge conventional thinking and advance new models of learning. Every day we're inspiring people to find new ways to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Blackboard reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Blackboard CEO Jay Bhatt. All 54 reviews posted anonymously by Blackboard employees.