Blackhawk Network

Blackhawk Network Reviews in Pleasanton, CA

Updated Jun 13, 2014

Blackhawk Network Chairman and CEO William Y. Tauscher

William Y. Tauscher

Pros
  • Seemingly fair, hard-working group of people who get the job done and mind their own business (in 7 reviews)

• Very successful business model, bright and dedicated team, good managment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work-life balance for many of the employees here (in 6 reviews)

• There is little or no respect for developers (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights
64 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Nice work environment, positive attitude

Fraud Analyst I (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsEnvironment is very nice, people has nice attitude and you hardly speak with other people since always busy in your own work.

ConsThere are some extra hours or work specially for salaried position, depends on which department you're working in.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more people to share the workload, everyone need to share the same interest of work as others

All Work and No Play

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsGood location and some good people

ConsLong hours, no bonuses, very political, hard to grow within the company. Very little concern with employees thoughts and opinions.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. They see and hear more than managers behind closed doors in their offices. Take actions on issues that are brought up. Ignoring them does not make them go away. It creates unhappy people and environments.

Behind the times

Manager (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsConvenient location near Bart in Pleasanton, and near major freeway interchange. Smart people. Nice area near the mall.

ConsLots of work without enough support. The company felt "old fashioned". Pay was low.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to compete with the Big Boys on the peninsula or in the South Bay, you need to pay better and give your people the tools to do the job.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awful Development Environment

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsInteresting technology. Talented peers. Compensation is okay. Company appears to have a good product and vision for the future.

ConsWhere to start... extremely high expectations on performance coupled with expected use of personal time to perform research and other tasks. Lack of leadership within development teams to push back on management and promote good practices within teams. Aggressive deadlines which lead to technical debt in the code base and no interest from management in refactoring or any other work which does not lead to feature development. They say that they're agile, but only the parts that management likes. Architecture team is completely separated from the development teams so there is no real effort to improve designs. Extremely political atmosphere at the management level to the point where teams within the company can not effectively work with each other. 2 (now 3) week vacation policy but it is mandatory to use your PTO between christmas and new years, so you lose 3-4 days automatically. There is a lot of domain knowledge that experienced team members have acquired over time, but you are expected to know on day one. Extremely stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management knows what they want done and have good ideas. The management in charge of teams runs by a completely separate playbook so you hear one thing from CTO, but do something completely different in the day to day (CTO: "20% of effort should be spent on technical debt reduction". It never happens). It definitely feels like the political battles that wage between 'the gods' end up on the shoulders of 'the mortals'.

Improve training! So many of your tools (service now) are completely unusable, but are essential to doing the job. Your domain (financial transactions) is not documented so you need to take your experienced members and create internal documentation and processes in order to onboard new developers.

You know you have a bad environment (If you don't, you should read the reviews here), so you should concentrate on improving that. It seems like your other departments (sales, marketing, etc..) have good environments, why is IT (which is important to your business, if you don't already know) so awful?

Lack of transferable skills; Don't stay too long!

Business Specialist (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsFor the majority of departments, it is a decent employer for someone fresh out of college but don't stay longer than 2-3 years or your career will suffer due to a plateau of transferable skills. If you are capable and experienced (solid skills, innovative, creative) it isn't worth staying longer than 2-3 years because you will loose momentum in the work force. Advancement opportunities are few and far between and pay increase is slight if at all.

ConsMany poor business practices used that are not transferable. There is an "in crowd" and if you are not part of it don't stay longer than 2-3 years or you will be cheating your potential. My career path was delayed due to false promises and constant re-organizations of the various leaders and departments; I stayed too long (6.5yrs) which was a huge career delaying mistake myself and former colleagues also experienced.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you think you are not getting paid enough, don't just stay around, find a new job. Your apathy affects others including your own.

The worst place that I have ever worked

Software Architect (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsConveniently located in Pleasanton, some highly talented technical people

Consinexperienced management, politically charged environment, contractors working absurd hours/schedules, poor work/life balance..
    It seemed that there were many people in management who should never be managing people or making important technology decisions. There seemed to be a general lack of ethics throughout this company and it is by far the worst place i have ever worked

Great company

Senior Staff Software Engineer (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsInteresting project, new technology, nice people

ConsManager level employee needs more training

Company Culture

Manager (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsState of the art growing company that values new ideas and growth. The company is positioned or success in the way that it manages its business, personnel and challenges. Truly a caring company that continuously comes up with great products and services.

ConsThe company is growing so quickly that it is becoming harder to recognize everyone. Fortunately pictures are posted with contact cards.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to recognize efforts of your employees, including those who have projects that may not be as much in the spotlight as others.

A great place to work it you're willing to go above and beyond.

Finance Manager (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsA growing Company with a lot of oppurtunities to learn and move into new/other roles.

ConsA little slow in adopting more effective/cutting edge tools.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore equity grants/options would be help with high turnover in some functional areas.

Very happy here so far.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsSeemingly fair, hard-working group of people who get the job done and mind their own business. One of the more professional groups that I have ever worked with in my career.

ConsNone so far, thank God.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the positive vibe and work/life balance.

Worked for Blackhawk Network? Contribute to the Community!