Blackhawk Network

Updated December 2, 2014
3.2

Blackhawk Network Chairman and CEO William Y. Tauscher
William Y. Tauscher

Pros
  • Fair work/life balance, flexible work schedule (in 4 reviews)

• Very successful business model, bright and dedicated team, good managment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work-life balance for many of the employees here (in 6 reviews)

• There is little or no respect for developers (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging, Fast Paced, Dynamic Growth Organization.

Current Employee - Business Development in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Business Development in Reno, NV

I have been working at Blackhawk Network full-time

Pros

Challenging organization to learn and grow in where you may be rewarded for focused and diligent efforts. This company is evolving into the digital world to continue growing and changing as the market changes.

Cons

Like any organization of this size, politics plays a role. Not an extreme amount of favoritism, however it does occur.

Keep up the great leadership, and continue to promote from within! Perhaps 360 degree review process could be increased?

OK, if you have a good manager

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Blackhawk Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fair benefits, reasonable compensation.
    Good team environment.
    Catered lunch on Fridays.
    Provide nice hardware (Mac book and plenty of monitors).
    Fair work/life balance, flexible work schedule.

Cons

Working with other teams at head quarters can be difficult. It seems the only way to get information from them is to set up a meeting with all the people who might have the information (i.e. getting answers via email does not work)
    The deadlines come down from on high, and there are constant time crunches.
    Requirements are difficult to nail down, and are often wrong.

Great company to work for!!!

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Blackhawk Network part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible, make your own schedule. Great pay, great management. The company makes you feel part of a team. Positive feedback. If you make a suggestion, about doing a procedure differently they will listen and most likely implement it.

Cons

Not alot of one on one training.

Nice work environment, positive attitude

Current Employee - Fraud Analyst I in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Fraud Analyst I in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Blackhawk Network full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Environment is very nice, people has nice attitude and you hardly speak with other people since always busy in your own work.

Cons

There are some extra hours or work specially for salaried position, depends on which department you're working in.

Need more people to share the workload, everyone need to share the same interest of work as others

Industry leader in gift card transactions

I have been working at Blackhawk Network

Pros

Lots of work + Good Process makes work easier

Cons

employee traning and bonus - otherwise benefits are good

Stay away,

I have been working at Blackhawk Network part-time

Pros

LOW pay and long long hours

Cons

I only recieved three hours of one on one training. I was told by my supervisor to lie with regard to photos to prove completion of work. She told me to cover the camera lens with my hand and take a picture of that. I was fired without warning or any notice and my supervisor told me to give her a resignation letter AS SHE WAS FIRING ME - nice try!

Insist that supervisors stay in town and train new employees thoroughly

Awful Development Environment

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Blackhawk Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting technology. Talented peers. Compensation is okay. Company appears to have a good product and vision for the future.

Cons

Where to start... extremely high expectations on performance coupled with expected use of personal time to perform research and other tasks. Lack of leadership within development teams to push back on management and promote good practices within teams. Aggressive deadlines which lead to technical debt in the code base and no interest from management in refactoring or any other work which does not lead to feature development. They say that they're agile, but only the parts that management likes. Architecture team is completely separated from the development teams so there is no real effort to improve designs. Extremely political atmosphere at the management level to the point where teams within the company can not effectively work with each other. 2 (now 3) week vacation policy but it is mandatory to use your PTO between christmas and new years, so you lose 3-4 days automatically. There is a lot of domain knowledge that experienced team members have acquired over time, but you are expected to know on day one. Extremely stressful.

Upper management knows what they want done and have good ideas. The management in charge of teams runs by a completely separate playbook so you hear one thing from CTO, but do something completely different in the day to day (CTO: "20% of effort should be spent on technical debt reduction". It never happens). It definitely feels like the political battles that wage between 'the gods' end up on the shoulders of 'the mortals'.

Improve training! So many of your tools (service now) are completely unusable, but are essential to doing the job. Your domain (financial transactions) is not documented so you need to take your experienced members and create internal documentation and processes in order to onboard new developers.

You know you have a bad environment (If you don't, you should read the reviews here), so you should concentrate on improving that. It seems like your other departments (sales, marketing, etc..) have good environments, why is IT (which is important to your business, if you don't already know) so awful?

All Work and No Play

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Blackhawk Network full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good location and some good people

Cons

Long hours, no bonuses, very political, hard to grow within the company. Very little concern with employees thoughts and opinions.

Listen to your employees. They see and hear more than managers behind closed doors in their offices. Take actions on issues that are brought up. Ignoring them does not make them go away. It creates unhappy people and environments.

Handling customer calls everyday.

I worked at Blackhawk Network

Pros

believe in a 40 hours work week

Cons

slow response from management and no talking to other department

management is ok

Lack of transferable skills; Don't stay too long!

Former Employee - Business Specialist in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Business Specialist in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Blackhawk Network full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

For the majority of departments, it is a decent employer for someone fresh out of college but don't stay longer than 2-3 years or your career will suffer due to a plateau of transferable skills. If you are capable and experienced (solid skills, innovative, creative) it isn't worth staying longer than 2-3 years because you will loose momentum in the work force. Advancement opportunities are few and far between and pay increase is slight if at all.

Cons

Many poor business practices used that are not transferable. There is an "in crowd" and if you are not part of it don't stay longer than 2-3 years or you will be cheating your potential. My career path was delayed due to false promises and constant re-organizations of the various leaders and departments; I stayed too long (6.5yrs) which was a huge career delaying mistake myself and former colleagues also experienced.

If you think you are not getting paid enough, don't just stay around, find a new job. Your apathy affects others including your own.