Blackmore Partners

2.4

Gerald O'Dwyer

M&A intern

I worked at Blackmore Partners as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

convenient transportation at Chicago-the company is just next to the red line; stressful-self motivation to finish the work; exposure to private equity area-good opportunity for learning new knowledge; manager is very nice.

Cons

strict working time from 8am to 5pm; all the interns share a big table and the environment is not very fresh;

DON'T DO IT!!! DON'T DO IT!!! IF YOU'RE A FOREIGN STUDENT, DON'T LEAVE YOUR NATIVE COUNTRY FOR THIS... DO NOT!!!

Former Employee - M&A Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blackmore Partners full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are no pros to this company. The only thing that's good about the position is the location, and even that's not good compared to where other firms that are actually in finance are located.

Cons

Nothing but grunt work. It takes advantage of it's disproportionately international intern pool to mine information that will allow a few people to make money while interns get nothing. There are plenty of internships that are much better and that teach much more relevant skills. You'll learn NOTHING about financial modeling, M&A, PE, or any other field this company claims to be involved in... Did I mention that this is all unpaid? If there were tangible skills being learned/taught, this might not be a big deal. But to look up information in salesforce and linkedin is nothing that will set you apart from any other applicants in real institutions...

There is none. They get to make money off of people willing to work for free. I'm not one to say what companies should pay their workers, especially when they willfully accept the salary, or lack thereof. It's honestly a well thought out plan from their perspective. PE is a very low probability game, so paying workers in this business with the low rate of deals that actually close at Blackmore might not be intuitive. And as long as the industry is as competitive, and as long as employment is as hard to find as it is, companies like these will have enough leverage to utilize their largely international internship base and extract from them without compensating them... All because they want to look at the "bigger" picture.

Poor working environment. But if you are willing to devote, you can learn a lot

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blackmore Partners as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

After internship, you can get a sense of the whole M&A market.

Cons

Poor working environment... You even need bring your own laptop

I have gained the experience that I was trying to add to my resume.

Current Employee - Mergers and Acquisitions Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Mergers and Acquisitions Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blackmore Partners as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Plenty of room to improve knowledge, experience and skills.

Cons

Self motivation is important. You need to apply your full concentration to get most out of working there.

Might use some structural changes. Addition of a full-time manager staff would definitely improve the success.

You will get cool colleagues, but terrible experience as an intern in this business.

I worked at Blackmore Partners as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Honestly, none, except that you will have some good interns like you. Also, it is a good place for you to learn in practice how horrible a lucrative vicious capitalist is in this country! Trust me, you will get surprised.

Cons

1. Unpaid.
    2. Impossible to be a full-time employee no matter how long you work for the vampire-like boss.
    3. He damns you and shouts at you everyday if you are not like his dog.
    4. Learn nothing if you have a finance or economics related major.
    5. Nearly all the positive reviews on any website about this firm are fake. Because when I was there, I wrote similar positive review too. I feel guilty about that.
    6. This is NOT a private equity firm. It is a "private equity intermediary firm", which means that they help private equity firms find right CEO or companies, that's it. You make a lot of phone calls, just like a salesman.

Can you please shut down your business? Thank you!!!

It's a good place to learn a lot of stuffs.

I worked at Blackmore Partners as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You have tons of chance to contact with C-level executives. Build solid connection with them is good for you career path.

Cons

It's totally unpaid with a relatively poor working environment.

Try to be nicer to your staff. They did a big favor to you too.

Do Not Do It

Current Employee - Analyst Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blackmore Partners (less than an year)

Pros

Coworkers (a select few). There are no other pros glassdoor requires a 20 word minimum.

Cons

worst place ever, and your unpaid.

Worst MD of all time

Nightmare

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Blackmore Partners full-time (less than an year)

Pros

NONE. The only benefit to working at this company was the ability to network with the MDs connections. However, those connections typically did not know the MD very well and sometimes did not like him...dont ask me why but I am sure you can guess.

Cons

To many to list..... Place is a scam. They use free labor to prop up fake deals.

Close down your business.

Only one day required in their internship.

Former Employee - Analyst Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Analyst Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blackmore Partners as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The current (bless them) unpaid employees seem to be cool people.
    Gerald, the boss, has a great piece of advice, but it ends there.

Cons

1) There is absolutely no organization. Once you walk into the office, which is at a new building, there are a couple things you'll notice. It's a complete mess and everything is everywhere. No sense of professionalism, except in the way the interns decide to dress. My first impression of Gerald was that he must be very comfortable. He is the boss and I imagined that he would have a lot of influence and authority, but this was not the case. I am not here to bash him, I'm sure he is a great person, but as an incoming intern, I was slightly disappointed. The reason why was because before you go in, you have to watch an hour long presentation that Gerald does himself about the Private Equity Game. After listening, you are intrigued to learn more but I later realized that it is a very outdated presentation that he makes everyone watch at least twice while being hired as his intern.
    2) Gerald emphasizes two things over and over again. Promptness. I strongly believe that work ethic is very important but if you want to learn this over the course of a six month unpaid internship, then you are very stubborn and you need to hurry and realize that you need a good work ethic to be successful in anything. The second thing he emphasizes is experience. This is the only value that he can offer since he is not going to put anything else into you. As an intern, your job is one of two things. Help in the organization and hiring process of the new batch of interns the next month. The second thing you'll do is to source deals which is mostly done through LinkedIn, asking for resumes and organizing all of that in order to target the right people for deals.
       SO in other words, you do the dirty work, don't get paid doing it, and you get the next batch of interns who will continue the vicious cycle.
    3) None of the current workers want to be there. The "work" environment is actually sad. Nobody really seems to enjoy what they're doing and everyone looks forward to leaving. Most of them are international students, which means that they came with no options of turning back. Unfortunately for them, they are doing everything they can but the name "Blackmore Partners" holds no weight on their resumes.

First impressions are very important and they could not show me even a single reason as to why I should sign a contract to be a full time unpaid intern.

An effective leader invests in their team and gives them purpose and vision. The team reflects their leader and the team was lifeless, without motivation, and without a leader. I'm not saying you NEED to pay your workers, but if you're not going to pay them you have to give a bigger motivation and a bigger incentive in which the interns will find value in. The interns then look at the current and previous employees and their success stories. If you can only give one success story, then if you play the odds, this internship isn't worth putting your time in, especially if you're not even being compensated for basic costs.

Compensate your workers if it's not going to be monetary and it certainly isn't the reputation of BMP.

This place sucks

I have been working at Blackmore Partners

Pros

No sigle point is pro in this place.

Cons

A lot, just the worse workplace for ever.