Blacks Photography
www.blackphoto.com

Blacks Photography Reviews

Updated Jun 27, 2014
Blacks Photography – Delhi – “portrait”

A company with an identity crisis

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Burlington, ON (Canada)

ProsCustomer interactions and people that I work with are great

ConsExpectations of goals and responsibilities are too lofty for the amount of training given

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some time in the stores so that you can realign your strategies with who we really are. A photography place

Honesty, transparency, detail, and humility would go a long way...

Lab Technician/Keyholder/Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Markham, ON (Canada)

ProsGetting an all-inclusive cell phone plan through Telus for only $15 a month is a great incentive. The front line workers are fun, friendly, and make work enjoyable. Great customer base. Helping people make the right decision for their needs is rewarding.

ConsThere is a major lack of quality communication. Head office doesn't seem to understand the in store challenges we face. Little to no hours available for training. Respect from head office for those with knowledge is minimal. Low level of engagement. Low pay for amount of work and next to no commission/sales incentives. Little room for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't dismiss those who put themselves out there to correct errors and mistakes. Instead, embrace those who are willing to speak up for everyone and use them as a front line liaison to help ensure decisions that are made at head office can actually work at store level. 5 mistakes in a weeks worth of bulletins posted from head office to the stores should tell you something about the quality of work you're paying for and the level of detail your top employees put in.

Bitter sweet

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- $15 cellphone plan once Telus took over
    -some discounts were good but constantly changing
    -most of the staff were amazing to work with
    -regular customers

Cons-Terrible pay
    -constant management change
    -terrible communication
    -lack of respect from many individuals
    -years of service with the company mean nothing
    -people at head office are a joke
    -you will have a job title but always be expected to do complete opposite of it. Job titles dont seem to exist anymore in this company.
    -Expected to do more work for same pay.
    -Hire people of the street with no experience/knowledge of the business and then other staff members are forced to pick up their slack and basically train them.
    -Lack of training
    -poor advertisement
    -focusing too much on cell phones instead of photography
    -Products are way over priced

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly I could write a novel in all that I experienced and had to endure in my several years of service. I think management is a joke and the direction the company is taking is due to fail.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good benefits, ok culture

Sale Associate (Former Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThe only good thing about blacks is being able to print photos and the corporate phone plan.

ConsCulture, management, customer service, comissions

Horrible

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Vaughan, ON (Canada)

ProsWorking with great individual people all with a passion for photography excluding managment.

ConsPay sucks, decision makers have no idea what customers really want. They treat their employees bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe people that make this company thrive day to day are your front end workers. Maybe if you treated them better you'd have more success.

Store Manager

Manager (Current Employee)
    Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsThe staff and most customers that I work with daily at the store are GREAT!!

ConsDifficult to hire new staff when only offering minimum wage. Regional Manager has her obvious favorites and if you are not on that list then you are targeted for dismissal. No personal training or any kind of leadership or support offered to managers from Regional. Zero support from head office. No opportunities for advancement from the manager position. Head office and Regional regularly make it harder to do your job. There are A LOT of unhappy employees in this region.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop blowing smoke at all the staff. Constant hype with no follow through. Definitely question the ethics behind offering to pay your staff for a positive review on the Black's app for IPhone & Android.

A Quickly Declining Company With a Poisonous Work Environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsSome product discounts, experience dealing with the public.

ConsHardly any training, refusal to help with any requests. Managers not very knowledgeable about products or services offered, or photography in general. Bottom of the barrel pay, very few benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart focusing more on what you are known for. Camera, not phones.

Desperate times, desperate measures

ProsCan be a great work environment with the right mix of people, great deals on prints

ConsManagement only cares about their numbers, constant pressure from head office to focus on wireless, constant latenss on outlab leading to upset customer experience

Advice to Senior ManagementA manager who stays in the store for more than two hours at a time knows what is going on. GIve your team the support and encouragement they need, make the staff aware of their goals and actually coach them on closing sales instead of yelling, threatening and demeaning your staff. And just because someone is good at sales (aka: pushy) doesn't make them good management material.

Inadequate photo products and service store with low pay

Photo Sales Specialist (Former Employee)
    Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Pros- flexible hours
    - occasionally good co-workers
    - if you are lucky, time off.
    - great print prices for staff

Cons- very low wages
    - supervisor and managers don't know about products. My manager doesn't know the difference between 35mm digital SLR and mirrorless cameras.
    - very limited amount of professional and enthusiasts products, everything is catering to the noobs.
    - having to teach a 1 hour photo lesson to someone who doesn't know the difference between a point and shoot camera and a DSLR. They just want to get sharp, non-blurry photos at night, sigh.
    - too much stock, and not enough space.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease learn from Henrys, McBain Camera, The Camera Store and Vistek

Don't cater to the noobs or soccer moms trying to "freeze" their kids in a dark ice rink with a sub $100 P&S camera. You either go all pro or all noobs, and everyone's going to be a pro in the near future with digital photography information online.

Don't buy too much stock, and then expect your employees to sell everything in a week.

Stop trying to sell P&S cameras for 2x their price online.

For a company that should be elite, they where too cheap

Key Holder (Former Employee)
    Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

ProsThe people that work there

ConsTraining was terrible, everything was sales driven, did not have totally control of my sales, almost no discount for employees

Advice to Senior Managementput back a commission for the sales employees

Worked for Blacks Photography? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Blacks Photography reviews and ratings. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by Blacks Photography employees.