Blacks Photography

Updated November 16, 2014
Updated November 16, 2014
1.9

CEO

It was a fun place to work. Lots of interesting product and the customers where nice

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Moncton, NB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Moncton, NB (Canada)

I worked at Blacks Photography part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was different every day. Lots of variety and the customers where nice.

Cons

No room to grow but the manager did their best with in the confines of the company to help me out with scheduling. The pay was retail with fewer and fewer incentives.

Change is good but change all the time spells desperate. Poor product mix and lack of advertising are not good either. The new website and app are right on the mark. Treat people like assets not liabilities.

Rewarding and Fulfilling

Former Employee - Photo Lab Technician
    Former Employee - Photo Lab Technician

I worked at Blacks Photography full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employee discounts and the Benefits are very good.

Cons

After working for Black's for a long time, there was not many pay increases.

Reward your employees more

Decent at the start, horrible near the end

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Blacks Photography part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I started working at blacks while i was in school for photography, was great for cheap printing, and being around some decent gear. When it was bought by telus you got an amazing phone plan and a discounted phone. The people were for the most part great!,...except for upper managment

Cons

where do i start? upper management has a huge lack of insight in what happens in store, when they are in strore and watch over you like a hawk, interrupt you with customers and talk down to you. unusable planograms store to store, immense workload for how much you get paid..i was there for 4 years and i maxed out at 11.50, huge pressure to sell cell phones, if you didn't sell any phones in a week you were threatened to be fired. upsell upsell upsell. i had a regional manager interrupt me talking to a 80 year old women who was buying film and try to sell her a cellphone..clearly was not going to happen. also i cant count the amount of times the website has messed up orders, and lost customers. As for advancing in the company...next to impossible unless your a professional suck up. Getting full time is almost impossible to. some weeks you have over 40 hours, some your have less the 15

pay your employees a decent wage and you'll be surprised how much happier there be, and be uniform with information. ill be surprised if blacks is around for much longer

great

I have been working at Blacks Photography

Pros

great, had fun working there

Cons

no issues while I worked there

Amazing company, great bonuses

Former Employee - Lab Technician/Keyholder/Sales Associate in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

I worked at Blacks Photography part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, commisson, bosnuses for upselling

Cons

Closed all stores in Saskatchewan

Open back the Saskatoon store

Its like 2 jobs for the pay of one

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Blacks Photography full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A decent discount on products and services and a $15 a month cell phone plan. The people who you work with are usually very nice.

Cons

Minimal training, crazy job requirements and goals. Blacks is both a photo finishing retailer and a cell phone store, and has extreme goals in both areas. If you would like a job where you make minimum wage to do the work of a full time Telus employee and a full time photo finishing clerk, then this is the place for you. The company also has cut back on rewards, and created a goal system that centres on kindergarten style terminology The Gold Star system. The photo finishing out lab constantly has long time delays on orders, and sometimes things arrive broken, wrong, or not at all. This leads to many customer service issues, where the customers yell at you, even when you are trying to help them, (and had nothing to do with the production of their item in the first place.) Not a good place to work if you actually want to be valued as an employee, the only time that recognition happens is through an internal BRAG site, a cold impersonal social site that allows people to leave mostly boiler plate sentiments "your passion for success has payed off this week!"

Actually pay your employees a reasonable wage. Bring your cell phone commission system into line with Telus. Actually advertise on the radio, tv and on YouTube. Listen to your employees when they make suggestions for improvement, they are the ones who know what is going on. Update your technology, most of it is from the 80's and 90's. Support your staff and make sure that the out lab actually produces quality products on time. Don't keep taking away rewards and cut back store hours as punishment for the business not doing well, we are working harder than ever.

Underpaid, unappreciated, unmotivated,

Current Employee - Lab Technician/Keyholder/Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Blacks Photography part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The other staff are amazing, knowledgeable, and fabulous to work with.
    Our customers are wonderful and the great cell phone plan through Telus is a great benefit.

Cons

Lack of communication, or confusing/conflicting information from Head Office personnel.
    Poor pay for the amount of work, and ridiculous amount of information we are required to learn, with no time allowed for training. Employees are expected to spend several hours each week of their own time doing online training.
    Can't attract good employees because of poor pay, so new employees require tons of training, on a non-existent budget. As a result, existing employees are overworked
    Sales goals are difficult or impossible to attain.
    Too much focus on selling cell phones, frustrating our customer base by constantly hounding them to buy a cell phone.

I've tried taking suggestions to upper management on several occasions but just got told to keep my opinions to myself and was labelled a complainer. For a company that claims to want to hear from their employees, and for us all to be empowered and engaged, they have a strange way of dealing with it.
    I'm not sure what this company can do now to stay afloat, and don't see much future for Blacks. Blacks is NOT photography.... anymore.

Honesty, transparency, detail, and humility would go a long way...

Former Employee - Lab Technician/Keyholder/Sales Associate in Markham, ON (Canada)

I worked at Blacks Photography part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Getting an all-inclusive cell phone plan through Telus for only $15 a month is a great incentive. The front line workers are fun, friendly, and make work enjoyable. Great customer base. Helping people make the right decision for their needs is rewarding.

Cons

There is a major lack of quality communication. Head office doesn't seem to understand the in store challenges we face. Little to no hours available for training. Respect from head office for those with knowledge is minimal. Low level of engagement. Low pay for amount of work and next to no commission/sales incentives. Little room for growth.

Don't dismiss those who put themselves out there to correct errors and mistakes. Instead, embrace those who are willing to speak up for everyone and use them as a front line liaison to help ensure decisions that are made at head office can actually work at store level. 5 mistakes in a weeks worth of bulletins posted from head office to the stores should tell you something about the quality of work you're paying for and the level of detail your top employees put in.

Bitter sweet

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Blacks Photography full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- $15 cellphone plan once Telus took over
    -some discounts were good but constantly changing
    -most of the staff were amazing to work with
    -regular customers

Cons

-Terrible pay
    -constant management change
    -terrible communication
    -lack of respect from many individuals
    -years of service with the company mean nothing
    -people at head office are a joke
    -you will have a job title but always be expected to do complete opposite of it. Job titles dont seem to exist anymore in this company.
    -Expected to do more work for same pay.
    -Hire people of the street with no experience/knowledge of the business and then other staff members are forced to pick up their slack and basically train them.
    -Lack of training
    -poor advertisement
    -focusing too much on cell phones instead of photography
    -Products are way over priced

Honestly I could write a novel in all that I experienced and had to endure in my several years of service. I think management is a joke and the direction the company is taking is due to fail.

Good benefits, ok culture

Former Employee - Sale Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sale Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Blacks Photography part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only good thing about blacks is being able to print photos and the corporate phone plan.

Cons

Culture, management, customer service, comissions

Blacks Photography Photos