Blackstone Technology Group

Blackstone Technology Group Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Blackstone Technology Group CEO David Mysona

David Mysona

Pros
  • The developers on the software team were really good people(in 4 reviews)

• Lots of happy hours to go out drinking(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Although a very small company, the leadership does little to check this(in 4 reviews)

• said they wanted to be a top notch technology consulting company but kept body shop mentality(in 2 reviews)

Working for Trellis Group has provided tremendous personal and professional growth

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI have been with Blackstone for close to 8 years, and have seen the Trellis product grow from a concept into a real product that is being widely sought after by the market.
    - If you have an entrepreneurial drive, this is the team to work for.
    - Management is hands off, people who seek ownership and work towards it, always get it.
    - Your voice is heard!! If you have a suggestion to make, just drop by at the management's desk who sit next to the team, and always available with open-door policy
    - Collaborative and fun team environment
    - Tremendous amount of flexibility to manage your time, including work from home when needed
    - Good work-life balance
    - Team outings, Friday breakfasts,
    - Impromptu pizza, yogurt, chocolate etc. that management keeps surprising the team with

Most importantly, the Trellis group provides an opportunity to be part of building a great product. People with passion, drive and smarts excel in this team.

Cons- This team is definitely not for people who are looking for a 9 to 5 job, expect their managers to plan out their work to hourly level and don't have a "can-do" attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. Hire the best of best and continue supporting the team with open-door, fully accessible approach, which is one of the reasons why I love being here!!

Large company infrastructure with small company culture.

Intern (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsGet to work with a diverse group of interesting people who are experts in atleast one field. Great management.

ConsQuiet office. Lots of computer screens.

Diverse and innovative company

ProsDirect access to management and the CEO. Diverse technology practices within the company. Very good brand and name in the marketplace. Innovative and creative employees who work hard and play hard. Cutting edge agile software development and testing. Lots of room to grow company wise as well as employee wise.

ConsIf you need a place that is highly structured with micro managers, this is not the place for you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsHaving the opportunity to grow you own business, support and access to the executives and the freedom to sell in your own style gives Blackstone an edge against our competition. Not to mention a very talented team supporting your business to give you the confidence needed in building a solid foundation to build upon.

ConsIf you lack motivation to don't want to work in a team environment, Blackstone would be a tough fit.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinued training as opportunities arise.

GREAT! I can't see myself working anywhere else

Senior Technical Recruiter (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI have been at Blackstone Technology Group for over four years. In that time, I have seen huge growth within the IT Staffing team and the company as a whole. Blackstone offers competitive compensation packages, 100% benefits coverage and more. One of my favorite perks is President Club where they spare no expense! I have earned the opportunity to travel to exotic destinations, stay at the best hotels and hang out with some of the top performers from my team and management. They understand that we all have a life outside of work and cover the expenses for us to bring our spouse. Sometimes people even bring their kids. In addition, additional incentives and rewards help maintain a solid feeling of reward and accomplishment. The environment is friendly, team oriented and competitive.

Blackstone seeks and hires the best of the best. Unfortunately this also means that people who are not motivated and driven to succeed do not last. But if you are motivated and will not settle for mediocrity, this is where you want to be. A great support system exists from your co-workers, managers and C- Level Execs. Generous monetary compensation and side contests keep the reward level high. All employees have the ability to speak up and be heard. You are given the tools and coaching needed to maximize your success.

ConsIf you are looking for an 8 hour job, this is not it. However compared to other companies out there I would say there is a good life work balance. Blackstone does not require you to work extra hours, but to truly be successful sometimes you have to put in the extra effort. .

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing! The teams are getting staffed with strong hires and the motivation and support has continuously grown stronger. Blackstone has a good number of tenured employees and this is indicative of what a great place this is to work.

Working for the Trellis product was a nightmare of ego-wrangling

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe developers on the software team were really good people.

ConsThe management of the Trellis product was full of ego. They often committed to get things done for customers just to show off while they took advantage of the team and made them do the impossible amount of work in a very short period of time. The more the developers did, they more they were expected to do. Management announced one day that all developers would need to work at least 50 hours a week with no work from home flexibility. They added that they would not approve vacations for the following 4 months, which happened to be summer time and many of the developers had families.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to understand what really motivates people and makes them want to help you be successful. Give a little back once in a while and don't take advantage of people's work ethic and commitment to their families.

Why I'm here...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsI've been with Blackstone for 3 1/2 years and it has been a rewarding and educational experience to say the least. I have only been with 3 companies in 14 years as an IT recruiter and can say with certainty I made the right choice. I have grown both personally and professionally and continue to evolve life skills, stability and confidence in this environment and company. The investment this company makes in their infrastructure, employees and evolution is second to none. This is an ideal environment for people that are self-motivated, need little hand-holding and want to make a good living. I have worked for the biggest staffing firms out there and would not go back if given the choice. The paid benefits, solid PTO, great people, above average pay, autonomy and various perks don't hurt either.

ConsThe reality is that you won't survive here unless you are a true player. Subpar performance is not tolerated and those that aren't relentless in their pursuit of success don't last. Welcome to the "big boys" club of IT staffing. This is an obvious pro for some and a con for others.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. It's working.

I'm well-tenured in corporate and agency staffing settings, and BTG is head and shoulders above the rest...

Technical Recruiter (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsMy "other" family for 3.5 years and I'm as happy now as when I accepted my offer. Given the size of BTG Staffing, while leveraging the consulting practice's stellar reputation, makes for a fantastic destination and limitless opportunity for the experienced recruiter or sales professional. BTG has a tight knit family of people with character, drive, know-how, and success. They manage a great deal of business from a wide-variety of clients and skill requests which always keeps you on your toes, there's rarely a dull day. At BTG, you have a voice, you make an impact, and you are empowered to speak up...the best part is the leadership listens, and quite often, employs your recommendations. BTG has agility and flexibility to work with unique clients and candidates while understanding, intimately, how decisions or changes can impact an entire organization and operational practice. You are included on panels to establish process improvements and have a greater exposure to executive leadership, working with all the moving pieces, including legal, HR, marketing and operations, to name a few. You are recognized and rewarded, regularly, through several programs like 'I Am Interesting" ($ given for my betterment via personal pursuits), Credo Awards, title and pay promotions, and you should shoot for a Diamond Award and President's Club (no small task, but incredibly rewarding). Overall, it's a great place to execute your best know-how where they embrace your approach to staffing services while crafting a unique signature on all you do, a signature you can be proud of.

ConsThis is a destination for an experienced and passionate staffing professional. Don't expect a lot of hand-holding or automation to plan your day, you should know how to execute and put up strong numbers.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be transparent and communicative, empower everyone to contribute. Your "approachability" and supportive nature nurtures the exchange of ideas and learning and makes for a fun, positive culture.

The Financial Services Practice at Blackstone builds team members up

Senior Management Consultant (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsA majority of project engagements go to market within 9 months allowing for quick project succession. The working environment is extremely fast paced allowing for immediate growth in many roles. You will not be pigeonholed into just one responsibility. Individual and team growth is supported with knowledge sharing meetings and conference attendance.

ConsDue to the fast paced environment, a majority of the time extended hours are needed and expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would recommend more team building outings to raise moral during crunch time. I would also recommend additional comp time for billable hours worked over a normal work week.

Good place to work.

Manager (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsGreat, if you enjoy working with the same client for a long period of time (ie. over 2 years). Contracts are generally with the Federal Government and tend to be long term. The company promotes for hard work and dedication. Many opportunities to contribute to the growth of the company.

ConsIf you prefer new challenges and like to have new opportunities with clients, this may not be the best place to work. As I mentioned, it is mostly Federal work that is more long term.

Worked for Blackstone Technology Group? Contribute to the Community!