Blackstone Technology Group Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Great culture

I have been working at Blackstone Technology Group full-time

Pros

The type of work and support from Senior Management

Cons

Long work hours are possible

Not what it used to be, and certainly not what they tell you it is.

Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Blackstone Technology Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There aren't very many "pros" to discuss with Blackstone, except that management cares enough about their outward appearance that they seem to be creating fake reviews on this very site. Upward mobility very possible as more and more senior leadership leaves!

Cons

Employees are expected to kiss their personal lives goodbye when they walk in the door. 40 hour work weeks are definitely possible during weeks with holidays. Bonuses were pulled in 2013 due to dismal company performance, but since the company headcount has roughly halved (at least in DC), they may have enough in the kitty for the few of us that haven't accepted other offers. Yet.

Advice to Management

Leave while you still can?

Blackstone Technology Group Response

Jul 29, 2015 – .

Thank you for your comment about worklife balance and bonuses, your feedack is important. I review all comments and see how we can be a better company in the areas you suggest. Thank you again ... More

3. Working for Trellis Group has provided tremendous personal and professional growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blackstone Technology Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been with Blackstone for close to 8 years, and have seen the Trellis product grow from a concept into a real product that is being widely sought after by the market. - If you have an entrepreneurial drive, this is the team to work for. - Management is hands off, people who seek ownership and work towards it, always get it. - Your voice is heard!! If you have a suggestion to make, just drop by at the management's desk who sit next to the team, and always available with open-door policy - Collaborative and fun team environment - Tremendous amount of flexibility to manage your time, including work from home when needed - Good work-life balance - Team outings, Friday breakfasts, - Impromptu pizza, yogurt, chocolate etc. that management keeps surprising the team with Most importantly, the Trellis group provides an opportunity to be part of building a great product. People with passion, drive and smarts excel in this team.

Cons

- This team is definitely not for people who are looking for a 9 to 5 job, expect their managers to plan out their work to hourly level and don't have a "can-do" attitude.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Hire the best of best and continue supporting the team with open-door, fully accessible approach, which is one of the reasons why I love being here!!

5. Where are the life rafts?

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Blackstone Technology Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job security is good due to mass exodus. Many talented folks on board albeit for the short term. Frequent happy hours.

Cons

Nonexistent career growth. Executive leadership out of touch with the federal marketplace. Inability to retain quality consultants after the smoke screen clears.

Advice to Management

Your employees are people too.

Blackstone Technology Group Response

Jul 29, 2015 – .

Thank you for your comment about retaining talent - your feedback is important. Culture is something we take seriously and your comments are helpful so we improve and be a better company in the ... More

6. Great Company to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blackstone Technology Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Having the opportunity to grow you own business, support and access to the executives and the freedom to sell in your own style gives Blackstone an edge against our competition. Not to mention a very talented team supporting your business to give you the confidence needed in building a solid foundation to build upon.

Cons

If you lack motivation to don't want to work in a team environment, Blackstone would be a tough fit.

Advice to Management

Continued training as opportunities arise.

7. Large company infrastructure with small company culture.

Current Employee - Intern in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Intern in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Blackstone Technology Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to work with a diverse group of interesting people who are experts in atleast one field. Great management.

Cons

Quiet office. Lots of computer screens.

8. Diverse and innovative company

I have been working at Blackstone Technology Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Direct access to management and the CEO. Diverse technology practices within the company. Very good brand and name in the marketplace. Innovative and creative employees who work hard and play hard. Cutting edge agile software development and testing. Lots of room to grow company wise as well as employee wise.

Cons

If you need a place that is highly structured with micro managers, this is not the place for you.

GREAT! I can't see myself working anywhere else

Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I have been at Blackstone Technology Group for over four years. In that time, I have seen huge growth within the IT Staffing team and the company as a whole. Blackstone offers competitive compensation packages, 100% benefits coverage and more. One of my favorite perks is President Club where they spare no expense! I have earned the opportunity to travel to exotic destinations, stay at the best hotels and hang out with some of the top performers from my team and management. They understand that we all have a life outside of work and cover the expenses for us to bring our spouse. Sometimes people even bring their kids. In addition, additional incentives and rewards help maintain a solid feeling of reward and accomplishment. The environment is friendly, team oriented and competitive. Blackstone seeks and hires the best of the best. Unfortunately this also means that people who are not motivated and driven to succeed do not last. But if you are motivated and will not settle for mediocrity, this is where you want to be. A great support system exists from your co-workers, managers and C- Level Execs. Generous monetary compensation and side contests keep the reward level high. All employees have the ability to speak up and be heard. You are given the tools and coaching needed to maximize your success.

Cons

If you are looking for an 8 hour job, this is not it. However compared to other companies out there I would say there is a good life work balance. Blackstone does not require you to work extra hours, but to truly be successful sometimes you have to put in the extra effort. .

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! The teams are getting staffed with strong hires and the motivation and support has continuously grown stronger. Blackstone has a good number of tenured employees and this is indicative of what a great place this is to work.

Working for the Trellis product was a nightmare of ego-wrangling

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Blackstone Technology Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The developers on the software team were really good people.

Cons

The management of the Trellis product was full of ego. They often committed to get things done for customers just to show off while they took advantage of the team and made them do the impossible amount of work in a very short period of time. The more the developers did, they more they were expected to do. Management announced one day that all developers would need to work at least 50 hours a week with no work from home flexibility. They added that they would not approve vacations for the following 4 months, which happened to be summer time and many of the developers had families.

Advice to Management

Learn to understand what really motivates people and makes them want to help you be successful. Give a little back once in a while and don't take advantage of people's work ethic and commitment to their families.

11. Why I'm here...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

I've been with Blackstone for 3 1/2 years and it has been a rewarding and educational experience to say the least. I have only been with 3 companies in 14 years as an IT recruiter and can say with certainty I made the right choice. I have grown both personally and professionally and continue to evolve life skills, stability and confidence in this environment and company. The investment this company makes in their infrastructure, employees and evolution is second to none. This is an ideal environment for people that are self-motivated, need little hand-holding and want to make a good living. I have worked for the biggest staffing firms out there and would not go back if given the choice. The paid benefits, solid PTO, great people, above average pay, autonomy and various perks don't hurt either.

Cons

The reality is that you won't survive here unless you are a true player. Subpar performance is not tolerated and those that aren't relentless in their pursuit of success don't last. Welcome to the "big boys" club of IT staffing. This is an obvious pro for some and a con for others.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. It's working.

RSS Feed </> Embed