Blackstone Technology Group

Updated August 25, 2014

3.5

Blackstone Technology Group CEO David Mysona
David Mysona

Pros
  • The developers on the software team were really good people (in 4 reviews)

• Lots of happy hours to go out drinking (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Although a very small company, the leadership does little to check this (in 4 reviews)

• said they wanted to be a top notch technology consulting company but kept body shop mentality (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Bad in the Long Term, great if you're getting something out of it

Former Employee - Management Consultant  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Management Consultant in Arlington, VA

I worked at Blackstone Technology Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are a few people and projects that are so good that if you're in the right place, and are in and out in 3 years, this company can launch your career while you ignore the rest of the stagnant company.

Cons

The company is in too many businesses with too many specialties in each. This causes them to stop/start whole businesses frequently causing significant employee gain/loss periods. Which makes for a horrendous environment for anybody that wants a long term relationship with a good company.

Pay is comparatively low.

Pick a specialty.

Not a bad company . . . not a great company

I worked at Blackstone Technology Group full-time

Pros

There is an entrepreneurial spirit to the company whereby if you work hard, you can move up in the company faster than at larger companies. They hire great people.

Cons

They can't retain the great people they hire. You can probably count on 1 hand the number of people that have been at the company (SF) longer than 3 years. Two hands if you're including the other offices.

The company is stable financially but it'll never make the big splash and increase its national brand (unless they're on a 20-year plan or something).

The CEO has to lead and inspire the company. That never happened while I was there. Providing the state of the company at company meetings isn't enough.

A great place to grow your career at a faster pace than other places

I worked at Blackstone Technology Group full-time

Pros

There is an energetic, entrepreneurial environment here. Overall, the company focuses on hiring smart people that have great ideas and spirit, and the clients appreciate that. The team here is tight-knit, and many of us have become good friends outside of the work place. We work hard, but we have a lot of fun doing it. There's always great happy hours, dinners and beers if you have to work late. Beyond that, the company has put in a lot of effort over the last few years to scale for further growth - with strategic hires, investment in professional development tools, etc.

Cons

Because it's a smaller company, and it values great ideas, at times the company can seem unfocused. With three distinct service lines, and various solutions in each of them, they need an overarching strategy to tie everything together. And, as with many professional services firms, the company has to be reactive to market conditions, and things like training, conferences and events become a lower priority.

Create and consistently communicate the big picture and future vision to the team.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Your success will depend on who you are aligned with.

Current Employee - Senior Management Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Management Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Blackstone Technology Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Informative company meetings
    Able to recruit good talent

Cons

Unable to retain good talent.
    Lacks consistent management approach

listen to your staff, drop the staff augmentation mentality

Do not consider this company

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blackstone Technology Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Young Energy. Lots of happy hours to go out drinking.

Cons

What a horrible experience I had with this company. I left a fortune 500 company after 15 years, because I was being heavily recruited for a new practice that Blackstone was building. After only 4 months, the management struggled to maintain the relationship with the vendor/supplier and dissolved the newly formed team. Instead of trying to find a fit for the people they hired, they let us go, with no notice, no severance. I was literally told to "have a stiff drink, and walk it off". Complete lack of foresight and professionalism from many of the folks in this company.

What was even better, was that 4 weeks later I received a call from a sales executive to see if I would be interested in being rehired or on a contract basis to replace a Project Manager onsite at a location where the currently Blackstone Employee was failing on his assignment. He tried to explain this as an attempt to "help me out".

The practices operate in Silo's. This company is looking for a quick buck, with no real long term strategy.

You have a lot of young skilled individuals. It's unfortunate that you aren't creating a culture of young professionals that will have any morale bearing in the business world.

A Staff Augmentation firm trying to turn into a Big 10 Consulting firm

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Blackstone Technology Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company to leverage broad level of consulting skills and brings in seasoned professionals to provide great results for clients. Salary is a tad better than major consulting companies, but you'll get more instability because of that. Can dabble in both commercial and public sector consulting fairly easily based on management/technical skills. Bench time is 'ok' but limited. Bonuses are consistent based on project/practice performance.

Cons

Growth paths are not ideal for mid-level professionals. Been years trying to solidify growth paths, which means promotions are not consistent. Directors have a secret honor code that no one can figure out, and a lot of questions aren't answered in terms of strategy and where the company is going. Not even managers know what's next. Annual meetings are the only way to know what upper management is looking to grow and day-to-day operations sometimes feel disconnected with the bigger picture. Small company is great, but this company changes direction based on where the $$ are, not the passion for great work and impact. You can't really blame them for that either.

Clear direction and excellent support

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Goals are attainable, there is clear direction from management, and support is in abundance - if sought. Great communication from management.

Cons

No cons. Everything is going very well. Training and support need to be sought out and are not delegated.

Keep it up.

Truly committed to employees!

I have been working at Blackstone Technology Group full-time

Pros

Blackstone supports its credo of employee commitment by encouraging innovation and empowering us to drive our own careers. We’re provided the opportunity to work with mentors and receive the training we need to achieve our goals. We start each year with a theme that’s designed to inspire and motivate, and it does just that. This year’s theme is “Engage”, which encourages us to engage with colleagues, the marketplace, and the community. We also have some programs that acknowledge and reward our successes, as well as encourage activities outside of work. The “I Am Interesting” program provides funds for exploring new hobbies, interests, and activities. Basically, we get paid to have fun! I’ve worked for other companies with similar types of programs, but none have been as consistent and meaningful as Blackstone’s.

Cons

Since we have offices in multiple states, more than one annual kick-off meeting is held, so we don't get the opportunity to meet all of our fellow Blackstonians.

Professional, but communication issues

Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Arlington, VA

Pros

Very intelligent and professional colleagues. Everyone is driven and everyone works hard. Salaries seem to be pretty good.

Cons

Projects are run very tight and you have to put in extra hours just to meet expectations. As another reviewer noted, there is a high amount of turnover and leadership does not address it in any way. As another reviewer noted, most people last about 1 year and then move on. The corporate hierarchy is a complete mystery. Only through seeing others emails was I able to see graphs depicting the structure. Also, just chatting among other employees you get a constant theme of position anxiety.

Address employee turnover and don't sweep it under the rug. Try raising morale by investing in your employees with training and education.

Bad experience for me. Maybe you will like it.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Blackstone Technology Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some very talented technical staff. Good medical benefits for single employees.

Cons

As some of the other reviewers are saying, most new hires are likely to leave after just one year. Turnover is bad for a company of this size and growth has stagnated due to projects ending, a slow-down in new sales, and the fact that they are constantly replacing talented employees who simply didn’t fit the culture and disliked the lack of effective and transparent communication (see previous reviews). During the recruitment process, I was told about my "eligibility" for a 10% bonus. More than eight months after I started, my supervisor met with me to explain what I had to do to get my full bonus. I knew at that point that I wasn’t going to reach those goals and had expressed that I would have appreciated it if they would have shared the goals with me when I started. The details of the bonus system aren’t included in offer letters, so I didn’t know what to expect and was shocked when I was told that my bonus was zero. The feedback was that I didn’t reach my goals (which were laid out for me only 4 months prior) and that the company didn’t reach its goals. When I finally decided to leave, I did the ethical thing and acted with decency and professionalism by giving a two week notice and then was told that policy said that I wouldn’t be able to work out my notice and they won't be paying me for the two weeks of notice that I gave them. I never saw this policy and I have no idea if it even exists, but as a single parent, this was a difficult financial burden to bear. Who does that and why would anyone ever give this company any notice when they leave? This was a very difficult culture for me to thrive in and feedback whether positive or negative was non-existent. No 401k match

Simply learn how to do the right things and treat your employees with dignity and respect. Communication and transparency is a major problem internally and it leaves people feeling scared and detached. I didn’t have a desk phone for the first 2 weeks that I was working at Blackstone. That’s really unacceptable given my responsibilities and the on-boarding process should be re-visited. Recognize that there is a reason for the low morale and high turnover and that it's not just an "industry thing". Stop making your hiring decisions based on "cultural fit", it's just not working and I think that it would be beneficial to expand your culture rather than limit it to people that are just like you. Add a 401k match.

Worked for Blackstone Technology Group? Contribute to the Community!