Blackstone Technology Group

Updated July 17, 2014
3.7

Blackstone Technology Group CEO David Mysona
David Mysona

Pros
  • Lots of happy hours to go out drinking (in 5 reviews)

• The developers on the software team were really good people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • limited growth as its a small company (in 5 reviews)

• said they wanted to be a top notch technology consulting company but kept body shop mentality (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Working for Trellis Group has provided tremendous personal and professional growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blackstone Technology Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have been with Blackstone for close to 8 years, and have seen the Trellis product grow from a concept into a real product that is being widely sought after by the market.
    - If you have an entrepreneurial drive, this is the team to work for.
    - Management is hands off, people who seek ownership and work towards it, always get it.
    - Your voice is heard!! If you have a suggestion to make, just drop by at the management's desk who sit next to the team, and always available with open-door policy
    - Collaborative and fun team environment
    - Tremendous amount of flexibility to manage your time, including work from home when needed
    - Good work-life balance
    - Team outings, Friday breakfasts,
    - Impromptu pizza, yogurt, chocolate etc. that management keeps surprising the team with

Most importantly, the Trellis group provides an opportunity to be part of building a great product. People with passion, drive and smarts excel in this team.

Cons

- This team is definitely not for people who are looking for a 9 to 5 job, expect their managers to plan out their work to hourly level and don't have a "can-do" attitude.

Keep doing what you are doing. Hire the best of best and continue supporting the team with open-door, fully accessible approach, which is one of the reasons why I love being here!!

Great Company to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blackstone Technology Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Having the opportunity to grow you own business, support and access to the executives and the freedom to sell in your own style gives Blackstone an edge against our competition. Not to mention a very talented team supporting your business to give you the confidence needed in building a solid foundation to build upon.

Cons

If you lack motivation to don't want to work in a team environment, Blackstone would be a tough fit.

Continued training as opportunities arise.

GREAT! I can't see myself working anywhere else

Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blackstone Technology Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been at Blackstone Technology Group for over four years. In that time, I have seen huge growth within the IT Staffing team and the company as a whole. Blackstone offers competitive compensation packages, 100% benefits coverage and more. One of my favorite perks is President Club where they spare no expense! I have earned the opportunity to travel to exotic destinations, stay at the best hotels and hang out with some of the top performers from my team and management. They understand that we all have a life outside of work and cover the expenses for us to bring our spouse. Sometimes people even bring their kids. In addition, additional incentives and rewards help maintain a solid feeling of reward and accomplishment. The environment is friendly, team oriented and competitive.

Blackstone seeks and hires the best of the best. Unfortunately this also means that people who are not motivated and driven to succeed do not last. But if you are motivated and will not settle for mediocrity, this is where you want to be. A great support system exists from your co-workers, managers and C- Level Execs. Generous monetary compensation and side contests keep the reward level high. All employees have the ability to speak up and be heard. You are given the tools and coaching needed to maximize your success.

Cons

If you are looking for an 8 hour job, this is not it. However compared to other companies out there I would say there is a good life work balance. Blackstone does not require you to work extra hours, but to truly be successful sometimes you have to put in the extra effort. .

Keep doing what you are doing! The teams are getting staffed with strong hires and the motivation and support has continuously grown stronger. Blackstone has a good number of tenured employees and this is indicative of what a great place this is to work.

Working for the Trellis product was a nightmare of ego-wrangling

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Blackstone Technology Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The developers on the software team were really good people.

Cons

The management of the Trellis product was full of ego. They often committed to get things done for customers just to show off while they took advantage of the team and made them do the impossible amount of work in a very short period of time. The more the developers did, they more they were expected to do. Management announced one day that all developers would need to work at least 50 hours a week with no work from home flexibility. They added that they would not approve vacations for the following 4 months, which happened to be summer time and many of the developers had families.

Learn to understand what really motivates people and makes them want to help you be successful. Give a little back once in a while and don't take advantage of people's work ethic and commitment to their families.

Do not consider this company

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blackstone Technology Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Young Energy. Lots of happy hours to go out drinking.

Cons

What a horrible experience I had with this company. I left a fortune 500 company after 15 years, because I was being heavily recruited for a new practice that Blackstone was building. After only 4 months, the management struggled to maintain the relationship with the vendor/supplier and dissolved the newly formed team. Instead of trying to find a fit for the people they hired, they let us go, with no notice, no severance. I was literally told to "have a stiff drink, and walk it off". Complete lack of foresight and professionalism from many of the folks in this company.

What was even better, was that 4 weeks later I received a call from a sales executive to see if I would be interested in being rehired or on a contract basis to replace a Project Manager onsite at a location where the currently Blackstone Employee was failing on his assignment. He tried to explain this as an attempt to "help me out".

The practices operate in Silo's. This company is looking for a quick buck, with no real long term strategy.

You have a lot of young skilled individuals. It's unfortunate that you aren't creating a culture of young professionals that will have any morale bearing in the business world.

Clear direction and excellent support

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Goals are attainable, there is clear direction from management, and support is in abundance - if sought. Great communication from management.

Cons

No cons. Everything is going very well. Training and support need to be sought out and are not delegated.

Keep it up.

Blackstone Technology Group is a great company

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Blackstone Technology Group

Pros

Strong leadership team, nice people, solid business model, smart employees at all levels, great working culture and a relentless focus on the customer's needs. Enormous degree of integrity throughout the company.

Highly recommend Blackstone as a place to work -- I only left because I wanted to do something else.

Cons

Challenging to find talent to meet the workload -- good problem to have though.

Continued communication and engagement among the rank-and-file: discover & leverage their insights ongoing to evolve your strategy, get new ideas or improve existing ones.

Blackstone is a true meritocracy. For the first time, I'm in a company that rewards based on results.

Current Employee - Senior Architect in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Architect in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blackstone Technology Group

Pros

At a high level:

High salary (very good annual raises), good market corrections, and solid review process
    Good Growth - promotions are definitely given to deserving candidates
    Good onsite opportunities available on most of the bigger projects
    Solid company wide diversity
    People are talented
    Good Culture and Commraderie
    Interesting work

Blackstone has a very fair and reasonable review structure. Part of the culture requires that semi annual reviews happen along with several mid project check ins. This type of structure allows you to gauge where you are performing at the moment and change up if you need to. Also ensures great delivery to our clients every time.

There is definitely a culture of "getting the job done". There are a lot of very smart people that are all driven to succeed here. This creates a demanding work environment, in order to stand out from the crowd. That's what a true meritocracy is though, and it is working for me and all of my colleagues so far.

Cons

Blackstone's core business is systems integration and custome app development, so even if you are working in Management Consulting, you will more than likely work on a system implementation effort of some sort. If this is what you do best, make sure that you join Blackstone!

360 feedback reviews would be a great idea for everyone. This way, people can learn how to be better at every level of the company.

Overall a very talented and motivated goup - enjoyed my time there.

Former Employee - Senior Architect in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Architect in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Blackstone Technology Group

Pros

Innovative thinkers, and solid technologists - I learned and contributed a lot.
    Competence at every level
    Solid client realtionships that made for long term projects (can be a pro and a con)
    Fun culture, good people, good energy
    Flexible when you need it, especially if you are a top performer.

Cons

Little international presence (only in Japan, really)
    Senior leadership seemed reluctant to take risks in emerging markets
    Seemed very focused on Energy and Fed Gov't, so other practices got less company press

Take a calculated risk to grow more internationally. You have a talented team who would be willing to make it happen.
    Invest even more in your best people.
    Continue to hire only top notch talent across every level of the company.

Get in get out.

Current Employee - Technical Consultant I in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant I in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blackstone Technology Group

Pros

They hire talent across the board. The founder of this startup are very successful.

Cons

Project based work. Once your project is over, they will trow you on anything that comes up even if it has nothing to do with your career path.

They are very bad at communicating what happened to employees that left the company, leaving you to your imagination as to if they were fired or quit.

Motivate by fear instead of positiver reinforcement.

Learn to take feedback and criticism on how to improve your processes.

Blackstone Technology Group Photos