Blackstone Technology Group Reviews

Reset
3.8
Blackstone Technology Group CEO David Mysona
David Mysona

Pros
  • There's always great happy hours, dinners and beers if you have to work late (in 5 reviews)

• The developers on the software team were really good people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Small company is great, but this company changes direction based on where the (in 5 reviews)

• Inability to retain quality consultants after the smoke screen clears (in 3 reviews)

1. Blackstone Technology Group

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blackstone Technology Group full-time

Pros

Great environment with friendly people to work with. Everyone cares about your well being and builds a team environment. The work can be demanding, but people break down your work habits in an effort to improve efficiency. Monthly happy hours. Great benefits and perks. Heart of downtown SF office location.

Cons

Computers could be newer and cooler. Some software is slow and laggy. More money never hurt no one.

Advice to Management

Can we hang out more? I just want to buy you a drink and pick your brain.

Trellis Practice - good team members, bad management

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Blackstone Technology Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team members are nice and helpful

Cons

- Bad management. The EVP and the director don't know how to manage projects and people. - Fake agile practice. It's more like on-demand methodology. You are asked to implemented features at last minutes. - High turn around rate.

Jul 29, 2015 – .

Thank you for your comment about bad management and Agile, your feedack is important. I review all comments and see how we can be a better company in the Trellis areas you are suggesting. Thank you ... More

3. Technical Recruiting

Former Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Blackstone Technology Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are nice I GUESS (?)

Cons

Heaby, heavy, heavy micro managed company!!!!

Advice to Management

Trust the people YOU HIRED MORE.

Jul 29, 2015 – .

Thank you for your comment about micro management and trust, your feedack is important. I review all comments and see how we can improve in the areas you suggest. Thank you again for your comments ... More

Difficult to review, lots of moving parts to this company

I worked at Blackstone Technology Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- "Open Door Policy" (this really means closed door but the C-levels are often accessible) - Strong Senior Leadership - company runs lean, so very durable, recession-proof

Cons

- Not a great work culture as far as SF goes. Can't speak to DC or Denver - Business model lacks cohesiveness; Trellis doesn't really fit - Lack of corporate identity; kind of weird collection of niche sources of income - Terrible retention rate

Advice to Management

It seems like the consulting team in DC is probably generating a lot of revenue, but there's no sense of cohesion between the offices, and the SF office is rather depressing. How does the company define its culture? This doesn't mean throw some bullet-points on your website and have a "word/theme for the year." If you want to retain solid talent in the Bay Area, you have to invest in company culture. This doesn't mean silly team-building activities in the office when everyone wants to be working; this means actually investing in retention. Ultimately, though, the C-level guys are smart and probably making good money. They've managed to stick around for almost twenty years, which is a good testament to solid foundations.

Jul 29, 2015 – .

Thank you for your comment/advice about open door policy but also about investment in culture. Your feedback is important to me and the entire team. I review all comments and see how we can be a ... More

6. Working for Trellis Group has provided tremendous personal and professional growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blackstone Technology Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been with Blackstone for close to 8 years, and have seen the Trellis product grow from a concept into a real product that is being widely sought after by the market. - If you have an entrepreneurial drive, this is the team to work for. - Management is hands off, people who seek ownership and work towards it, always get it. - Your voice is heard!! If you have a suggestion to make, just drop by at the management's desk who sit next to the team, and always available with open-door policy - Collaborative and fun team environment - Tremendous amount of flexibility to manage your time, including work from home when needed - Good work-life balance - Team outings, Friday breakfasts, - Impromptu pizza, yogurt, chocolate etc. that management keeps surprising the team with Most importantly, the Trellis group provides an opportunity to be part of building a great product. People with passion, drive and smarts excel in this team.

Cons

- This team is definitely not for people who are looking for a 9 to 5 job, expect their managers to plan out their work to hourly level and don't have a "can-do" attitude.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Hire the best of best and continue supporting the team with open-door, fully accessible approach, which is one of the reasons why I love being here!!

7. Great Company to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blackstone Technology Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Having the opportunity to grow you own business, support and access to the executives and the freedom to sell in your own style gives Blackstone an edge against our competition. Not to mention a very talented team supporting your business to give you the confidence needed in building a solid foundation to build upon.

Cons

If you lack motivation to don't want to work in a team environment, Blackstone would be a tough fit.

Advice to Management

Continued training as opportunities arise.

GREAT! I can't see myself working anywhere else

Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blackstone Technology Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been at Blackstone Technology Group for over four years. In that time, I have seen huge growth within the IT Staffing team and the company as a whole. Blackstone offers competitive compensation packages, 100% benefits coverage and more. One of my favorite perks is President Club where they spare no expense! I have earned the opportunity to travel to exotic destinations, stay at the best hotels and hang out with some of the top performers from my team and management. They understand that we all have a life outside of work and cover the expenses for us to bring our spouse. Sometimes people even bring their kids. In addition, additional incentives and rewards help maintain a solid feeling of reward and accomplishment. The environment is friendly, team oriented and competitive. Blackstone seeks and hires the best of the best. Unfortunately this also means that people who are not motivated and driven to succeed do not last. But if you are motivated and will not settle for mediocrity, this is where you want to be. A great support system exists from your co-workers, managers and C- Level Execs. Generous monetary compensation and side contests keep the reward level high. All employees have the ability to speak up and be heard. You are given the tools and coaching needed to maximize your success.

Cons

If you are looking for an 8 hour job, this is not it. However compared to other companies out there I would say there is a good life work balance. Blackstone does not require you to work extra hours, but to truly be successful sometimes you have to put in the extra effort. .

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! The teams are getting staffed with strong hires and the motivation and support has continuously grown stronger. Blackstone has a good number of tenured employees and this is indicative of what a great place this is to work.

Working for the Trellis product was a nightmare of ego-wrangling

I worked at Blackstone Technology Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The developers on the software team were really good people.

Cons

The management of the Trellis product was full of ego. They often committed to get things done for customers just to show off while they took advantage of the team and made them do the impossible amount of work in a very short period of time. The more the developers did, they more they were expected to do. Management announced one day that all developers would need to work at least 50 hours a week with no work from home flexibility. They added that they would not approve vacations for the following 4 months, which happened to be summer time and many of the developers had families.

Advice to Management

Learn to understand what really motivates people and makes them want to help you be successful. Give a little back once in a while and don't take advantage of people's work ethic and commitment to their families.

Do not consider this company

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blackstone Technology Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Young Energy. Lots of happy hours to go out drinking.

Cons

What a horrible experience I had with this company. I left a fortune 500 company after 15 years, because I was being heavily recruited for a new practice that Blackstone was building. After only 4 months, the management struggled to maintain the relationship with the vendor/supplier and dissolved the newly formed team. Instead of trying to find a fit for the people they hired, they let us go, with no notice, no severance. I was literally told to "have a stiff drink, and walk it off". Complete lack of foresight and professionalism from many of the folks in this company. What was even better, was that 4 weeks later I received a call from a sales executive to see if I would be interested in being rehired or on a contract basis to replace a Project Manager onsite at a location where the currently Blackstone Employee was failing on his assignment. He tried to explain this as an attempt to "help me out". The practices operate in Silo's. This company is looking for a quick buck, with no real long term strategy.

Advice to Management

You have a lot of young skilled individuals. It's unfortunate that you aren't creating a culture of young professionals that will have any morale bearing in the business world.

11. Clear direction and excellent support

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blackstone Technology Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Goals are attainable, there is clear direction from management, and support is in abundance - if sought. Great communication from management.

Cons

No cons. Everything is going very well. Training and support need to be sought out and are not delegated.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

RSS Feed </> Embed