Blain Farm and Fleet

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robert Blain

Good financially stable company who is growing

I worked at Blain Farm and Fleet full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe company is debt free, and they do a good job at reinvesting in their buildings and systems

ConsNot much for upward movement in many depts. no bonus structure at the office. Long long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the associates who have worked for the company for 5 plus years. Make sure you give them opportunity to advance if they want to and not just keep then in the same position for the same pay. Associates want to grow and develop.

Enjoyed the job, they just do not pay what you are worth

Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Blain Farm and Fleet full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people can be fun to work with and can be considered a great family company to work for.

ConsThe pay for your job expectations and duties are not enough. No incentives to help offset the low wages!

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide incentives to your employees. Your prices are not that low to justify a one day discount per year.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Sales Associate/Lead Worker (Former Employee)
Verona, WI

I worked at Blain Farm and Fleet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Customer Interaction
- Plenty of Parking
- Paid Holidays
- Large Break Room
- Co-Workers
These are basically the only things this place had, and may still have going for it.

Cons- Management not willing to address specific situations
- Total disregard of the rules & regulations put forth in their own Employee Handbook which is considered a working contract for employment.
- Management always undermining their department leader's authority
- Lack of communication between Assistant Managers
- Store Manager seems to be withdrawn from operations of correctly running a store, and making sure proper procedure is being followed.
- Management being more concerned about extended service plans, and getting people signed up for their credit card.
- Low pay
- Total disrespect towards treating their employees like human beings
- High turnover rate of Management Staff, and of Sales Floor Staff
- Disrespect of full-time employees
- Keeping employees that are strictly there to just collect a paycheck instead of actually hiring people that will perform assigned duties.
- Trying to schedule floor associates for work on assigned days where they have to be in school, making them choose between education or employment
- Requiring employees who work until 9 p.m to be back at work at 8:30 the next morning
- If calling in to report for being absent, due to sickness, have to report only to immediate department manager instead of any manager
*** This list could easily be longer but, it would soon turn into a novel ****

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow the rules, and regulations that are actually put forth in your corporate Employee Handbook. Try to figure out why you have such a high turn over. It's not a good sign when in less than two years time, you have hired an entirely new management staff. Plus, find out why so many of your sales floor associates are leaving. Stop pushing your extended service plans, and credit cards so much. Customers get annoyed by those questions, and many individuals stop shopping at places that get to overbearing with offering them.

Loved the customers, management however...

I worked at Blain Farm and Fleet

ProsCustomers and employees were awesome. You meet a lot of people especially working the front end of the store. Store layout always changing throughout the year.

ConsManagement was always shifty and never knew what was really going on. Favoritism was high in the store amongst certain employees. Procedures internally always changed. Main manager of division always looked at numbers and not the location of why sales were the way the were. There was a lack of common sense with the uppers.

Advice to Senior ManagementScheduling should be done 2 weeks in advance not the day before. Actually listen to your employees and do something about it. Best plans aren't a good way to threaten your cashiers, floor people need to help too. There are no incentives either unless came out of our own pockets. An incentive program is helpful not stickers up on a wall. Moral is key too. Plan events for employees to be excited about.

Was a great place to work at one time, gradually went downhill

Auto Service Tech (Former Employee)
Decatur, IL

I worked at Blain Farm and Fleet full-time for more than 10 years

Pros*Closed on Holidays *Paid Holidays, Vacation, and B-Day *Profit Sharing Plan *Great co-workers *Considerate if time off is needed

Cons*No employee discount *Low pay *Horrible benefits other than the holiday pay and profit sharing * High Employee and Management turnover rate *Do not value long time employees *When they raise the starting wage for new employees, the current employees do not receive a pay increase *Employee moral is low

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to realize that long term employees are the backbone of the company. Increase all employees pay equally when their is a minimum wage or starting wage increase. They use to have excellent benefits when I started several years ago, those eventually went downhill. Use to be a great company to work for but they went to crap. Not sure if they can or are even willing to improve.

Excellent learning environment!

Auto Tech I (Current Employee)
Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Blain Farm and Fleet full-time for more than a year

ProsThe hours were very flexible and the environment was always fun and exciting. It was a great place to learn the automotive industry on a variety of cars. It was always busy and we always had work to do.

ConsTire sales were really busy but there was always a great team feeling. Dealing with the weather was difficult when it was really hot or really cold but they always made sure we were taken care of.

Small privately held company is working for advancement in the retail world, but has a long way to go.

Buyer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Blain Farm and Fleet full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSmall company, a lot of exposure, you work cross functionally with allot of teams.

ConsLack of management direction, lack of advancement/training and development. Systems are out dated. Company procedures and processes are out dated.

Fun working there

Training Coordinator (Former Employee)
Sturtevant, WI

I worked at Blain Farm and Fleet full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEveryone worked well with one another

ConsWorking Toy weekend long hours

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to the employees

Great experience but with a caveat

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Blain Farm and Fleet full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSolid career development as long as you work for it and be strategic. Corporate management will help you and invest in you as long as you produce and work hard.

ConsStore managers are sometimes blind to the reality of employee relations. Most store managers seem like they are trying to save their jobs instead of doing thier jobs.

Long hours for managers. Staffing guidelines doesn't meet the needs of the customer volume.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more into the associates development. Blain's should look to grow managers and leaders with specific plans. The CEO should be more concerned about his business instead of race cars.

Assistant Manager Trainee

I worked at Blain Farm and Fleet full-time

ProsThe associates in the store were genuine and nice. It was great to see length of service in hourly associates.

ConsThe hours for this position are not what they said it would be in the interview. It was 65-70 hours a week. You work 6 in a row every other week. Absolutely not a position if you have a family and kids. The benefits are terrible. Expensive and high deductibles. You are also required to relocate for this position, which may be fine for some people, but after I was in the position they let me know that I may only have a week or two notice before you are required to move. I went from being told that all expenses were covered with the move to being told that I'd have about 2,000 to sell my house, move, pay for new housing, utilities etc. It was just a completely different story from what I was told when I was hired. If you are a workaholic, love retail, and have no ties to where you are and can leave at the drop of a hat then go for it. If you value time with your family, have kids, or would need to sell a house, etc...then don't even consider it. As a trainee they will also use you for whatever they want. I was forced to move to a store temporarily and drive an hour each way without compensation because it wasn't 'permanent.'

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest during the hiring process. If I knew what I was getting into I would not have wasted my time or yours. Hours, benefits, details of moving...those are very important things that need to be honestly discussed up front.

Worked for Blain Farm and Fleet? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Blain Farm and Fleet reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Blain Farm and Fleet CEO Robert Blain. All 34 reviews posted anonymously by Blain Farm and Fleet employees.