Blain Farm and Fleet Reviews

Updated April 11, 2015
56 reviews filtered by
2.8
Jane Blain Gilbertson

Pros
  • Paid holidays off - Great Co-workers (in 7 reviews)

• Paid holidays, great co-workers (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Relatively low pay for the number of hours someone salaried works (in 7 reviews)

• Selling the credit cards to people and extended warranties to people is out of employees control (in 5 reviews)

1. Hello ? It's 2015 Don't pay hourlies like slaves !!!

Current Employee - Hourly Employee
    Current Employee - Hourly Employee

I have been working at Blain Farm and Fleet full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Seems like a stable company , not much debt or foreign investment we're told.

Cons

Hourly pay is the lowest, no discount, no onsite human resources, hour cuts for months during the slow time . Can't focus on customers due to too much time stocking and setting ads, and management doesn't want to hear the truths.

Advice to Management

Treat hourly people better. Pay 2015 wages, don't cut hours. Too many assist store managers doing little . Salaried people pay way too much .

2. Cashier/Customer Service

Current Employee - Cashier/Customer Service in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Cashier/Customer Service in Madison, WI

I have been working at Blain Farm and Fleet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers and customers, recognition for your work, company sponsored events like the Christmas party and horse fair. Nice homey atmosphere. "Clean working conditions". Health Insurance, profit sharing, dental, life and the like. Can usually get time off with advanced notice!

Cons

Getting up at 5 a.m. to work a Toyland or black Friday. At least there is a potluck. Blood draws annually for health insurance. sometimes, I feel like I am in a rut and want to do more and learn more.

Advice to Management

Skip the blood draws and come up with an alternative plan to health insurance. Extended replacement plans and credit cards are beneficial to products with limited warranties, and line the extension with the price and warrantee to determine. Same with credit card. I.e. I wouldn't sell a credit card on a "stick of gum" However, I did for a gas grill, hair blower, lawn mower. etc. I am sure they wouldn't either, just my point. A summer picnic of some sort would be nice.

Great company!

I have been working at Blain Farm and Fleet full-time

Pros

A great company - family owned with family values. So much more than a "farm retailer" - more like a Walmart with heart. A growing company, so lots of opportunities! A great place to work and to shop.

Cons

Can't walk into a store without seeing a hundred things I need! Have to be careful not to spend all of my pay in the store.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow and create a Farm & Fleet nation!

5. It got me by.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rice Lake, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rice Lake, WI

I worked at Blain Farm and Fleet part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Was able to see the baby chicks in the spring.

Cons

Did not make you feel very needed.

Advice to Management

Appreciate good employees when they have concerns about their job.

6. Meh

I worked at Blain Farm and Fleet

Pros

Really aren't any pros for salaried members of management.

Cons

Throws people under the bus at every opportunity possible. Bonuses were very few and in between if you even got one.

7. I got what i needed to graduate

Current Employee - Management Intern Trainee
    Current Employee - Management Intern Trainee

I have been working at Blain Farm and Fleet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the company is full of great people to work with. its a good place to start you retail experience

Cons

spent most of my day on the floor doing mundane tasks and not didnt get to do much with the management team a

Advice to Management

invite interns to shadow management

8. Great for high school and college students to get experience, but otherwise look elsewhere

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Blain Farm and Fleet part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The starting wage for all employees is higher than most traditional retail stores, and corporate gives a 25 cent raise after three months, followed by a yearly 2 or 3% raise, as long as the employee is productive.

-Compared to other, larger companies, the environment at Farm and Fleet locations (outside of the holiday season) is very relaxed. As long as an associate's work is done in his or her department, they are allowed to help other nearby departments to boost productivity. This gave me the chance to cross-train in other areas and become better able to help customers, as well as build strong friendships with my coworkers.

-Locations really do sell a variety of products at a cheap price. While employees don't get a discount, at least they can pay a reasonable price for clothing, candy, pet supplies, etc.

-Store hours, for the most part, are reasonable. As a night-time part timer I was usually out by 9:05-9:15, and rarely worked past 9:30 during the Christmas season. All locations are closed on Christmas, New Years Day, Thanksgiving, Easter, 4th of July, etc. and open at 6 am on Black Friday, giving employees a chance to enjoy the holidays before working.

-Whenever a nine hour shift is worked, an employee gets an hour lunch, which seems to be better than most places. However, all lunches on Sunday are a half hour, no matter how long an employee works. This may be specific to my location only.

Cons

-Work/life balance can be a challenge. ALL employees must work at least every other (full) weekend, and part timers have to work three weekends a month, with one being a partial. While this may be fine for a student who needs the money, this kind of scheduling could be incredibly difficult for a parent with young children to work with. As you can imagine, turnover rate for associates with children was quite high at my location.

-Follow-up between merchandisers and stores is severely lacking. While merchandisers in the softlines area, for example, promised to spread shipments out for Fall/Winter 2014 instead of scheduling all the product to come in on one day, this promise was never followed up on, and softlines experienced one of the worst holiday seasons ever with pallets of merchandise coming in every day, and not enough space to put everything. This annoys customers when the rack or shelf they want to look at is being blocked by boxes of new freight. Many of the new brands the merchandisers experiment with are too expensive and/or too obscure for the average Farm and Fleet shopper to even give them a glance. What person is going to buy a $65 t-shirt that other brands sell for $10 just a rack away?

-Management can border on either being helpful or using intimidation to get projects done. Some do no realize how important coworker friendships are in a low-wage environment like this, and constantly try to break up teamwork efforts. However, when an associate needs a manager for help, many of the managers often act disinterested or even annoyed, which does not create a good image of the store to the customer an associate is trying to help. Also, there is quite a bit of inconsistency with selling BEST plans and credit cards; some of my managers would repeatedly call each cashier multiple times a day, telling them they have to make the daily goal (or else), while other managers did not care at all if you made an effort.

-I would not recommend working here October-January. My location could never hire associates early enough (or any at all) to train them properly for Toyland Opening Day, Black Friday, the Christmas season, inventory, etc., so seasoned employees often have to deal with the stress of the extra customer volume themselves, quickly leading to burnout. Whenever there is an issue, the customer is always right, and management will never side with you, no matter how outlandish the situation is. Employees often have to stay past their shifts, and can't clock out on time for lunch or to go home without being asked for help by 3+ customers on their way to the office. Again, managers look the other way when this happens.

Advice to Management

Views stores as if you are a customer walking in for the first time. If there are carts and boxes of freight blocking isles and presenting trip hazards, long lines at the register, floor employees so busy with their tasks and helping other customers that you can't stop and ask for help, would you want to come back?

9. GREAT PLACE TO WORK!

I worked at Blain Farm and Fleet

Pros

People are great to work with

Cons

Pay could be better, but overall management is great!

10. Stay away

I have been working at Blain Farm and Fleet

Pros

The people you work with are typically great

Cons

The pay is deffinatly Non competitive

Advice to Management

Pay people what they are worth

11. stop pushing blain's credit cards, best plans and just stop with the zip codes all together

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

I have been working at Blain Farm and Fleet

Pros

holidays off... friendly co-workers... booking very helpful...
    paid weekly... good sceduling for family time
    direct deposits

Cons

cashiers have to listen to all complaints about other departments. they have to try to explain the reasons we ask for zip codes every single day. during busy times (xmas) i forgot several peoples gift reciepts because of having to ask to many questions!! can i have your zip code? would you like to apply for a clain's credit card today? do you need any gift reciepts? would you like to purchase a best plan for that? on black friday the lines would have gone so much faster without the xtra questions. (people dont like them!) also we can get fired if we dont sell 2 credit cards a week and 10 best plans.. its not possible. also can get fired for not even asking people for these things!!!

Advice to Management

people can read!!! let them see the signs for credit cards and stop asking zip codes it waste to much time and slows down the lines!!!