Blaine Tech Services

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014
2.7

CEO

Having this job only makes your future job look better

Former Employee - Water Sampling Technician in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Water Sampling Technician in Carson, CA

I worked at Blaine Tech Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good experience in the field that can later provide opportunities in the consulting industry. For that reason only is why I recommend this company.

Cons

Training is weak and their focus is money money money just like any other firm under subcontract. They are the fast food chain of the environmental industry.

Advice to management is worthless. They pay what they want and they still get the applications they want.

You get experience, but it comes at the expense of your quality of life.

Former Employee - Environmental Sampling Technician in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Environmental Sampling Technician in Carson, CA

I worked at Blaine Tech Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get TONS of overtime pay. You can get a lot of exposure to different environmental firms, and you can learn some marketable skills. They like to hire from within, which provides some opportunity to advance your career.

Cons

As a sampling tech you will spend the majority of your day on the street setting up traffic signs and cones. There were a few instances where there wasn't even enough traffic setup equipment to get the job done safely. Many of the traffic setup plans were poorly written and required significant changes to even work. The work life balance is about as bad as it gets. I was constantly working 70 plus hour weeks. The travel can get excessive depending on the clients you get assigned to. Managements expectations at times are outright ridiculous. If you work here you will be on your feet, moving as fast as you can for the entire 12-14 hour day, and you will still be told by the project managers that you aren't working fast enough. The employees here are generally unhappy, and the money driven culture of the office makes the work environment quite tense. Simply put, the pros of working here are greatly outweighed by the cons.

The work life balance is unreasonable. I was told by management that we were working long hours because they didn't have enough sampling trucks to hire more people. While I fully understand their reasoning behind that, it wasn't a good enough reason for me to give my life away to the company.

A decent introduction company for anyone interested in the environmental or groundwater industry.

Current Employee - Sampling Technician
    Current Employee - Sampling Technician

I have been working at Blaine Tech Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to work with clients from all kinds of environmental consulting firms, a great way to expand your network.

If you don't like being in an office and prefer to be in the field, this place can be pretty good for you.

Cons

50+ hour work weeks are pretty much the norm, 10-11 hour days. This could be seen as a pro as its hourly so there's plenty of overtime but at the same time it can take a toll on your social life.

The occasional night or weekend work