Blarney Castle Oil and Propane

Dennis B. McCarthy

Poor management in Ossineke area

Former Employee - Subway Customer Service Associate in Ossineke, MI
    Former Employee - Subway Customer Service Associate in Ossineke, MI

I worked at Blarney Castle Oil and Propane part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Wages were all right for the area, considering the economic problems and the applicant to job ratio. I didn't mind getting part time hours with the amount of work involved in the job.

Cons

The amount of work involved with maintaining an effective work area and providing effective customer service in a Subway restaurant is NOT a one person job. The manager expects you to be able to run the restaurant all by yourself, no additional help, including being able to get all the cleaning chores done, and if you do not have ALL of the work done, including chores, by the time you are supposed to clock out, they will point them out to you, repeatedly. It doesn't seem to matter what you do right, they will always point out what you do wrong, and even if you are having a tough time getting things done, they will not offer you any constructive criticism. Instead, they will just tell you to "get faster." I would also like to point out the lack of involvement the manager has in training their employees.

If they expect their employees to do things effectively, shouldn't they be the one to show the proper way to get things done and not dump the responsibility on other employees and then drive off? When I worked at the Subway in Ossineke, not once did they do any training with me, I was trained under an employee with more seniority, but anything I did wrong, they, the manager, would not work with me to correct it, but instead belittled me and then told me to "go faster." If you ask me, their style of management is completely obtuse, and what's more, they neglected to tell me that I was not allowed to work over the set amount hours I was given each week, and that I had to be out by a certain time every night after closing. With the amount of work that one person is expected to do and get done, it's nearly impossible to be able to do that consistently, with each day being dependent upon the amount of customer orders!

What's more, a person in a position higher up had said that if I could not get everything done, close the store, and leave by that certain hour, then I may as well not be working there. A statement like that also brings into question what sort of people are working within Blarney Castle's hierarchy if someone managing one of their stores can't seem to maintain employees for very long and goes unchecked. It's probably not surprising that ever since I resigned from my position there, there have been at least ten new hires that have become ten former employees. From what I have observed and heard, the employer, the Ossineke Subway and EZ Mart, is nothing but a revolving door behind which lies a manager who does not know how to manage employees.

Furthermore, I would like to report a more recent incident I heard from a current employee who works there. When customers started complaining about two new employees being slow, she, the employee whom I'm speaking of, decided to talk it over with the manager on how there could be any improvement. In her words, the manager pretty much said "And who was the one who trained them?" The employee whom I heard from was the one training them, and she can stand in agreement about the manager's lack of involvement with training new employees.

To any and all job seekers who see this post and are considering applying for a position at the Ossineke EZ Mart or Subway, please keep in mind all that I have said before you drop in with an application. Personally, I would not recommend that you apply here. You would be saving yourself a lot of stress and anxiety issues in the future, but if you think you can handle working here and desperately need a job, I cannot say that I didn't warn you.

If customer service is a top priority, then satisfied employees should be up there too. It doesn't reflect very well on the company that their business has such a high turnover rate. My suggestion is that at the very least the manager be educated in a different style of management, one that involves encouraging the employees rather than belittling them.

Very unconcerned of employee needs and suggestions.

Current Employee - CSA in Norton Shores, MI
    Current Employee - CSA in Norton Shores, MI

I have been working at Blarney Castle Oil and Propane full-time (less than an year)

Pros

NOTHING. besides good people to work with...

Cons

Management make it impossible to get everything done in the time you are given. Even more impossible when you are left alone for 7 hours at a time and every time you try to go get the chore list done, a customer walks in and your are stopped in your tracks. you cannot go to the cleaning and stock the cooler while you are there alone and still be clocked out no later than 15 min after closing.... or you get a write up from management for being there too late... way to much stress for such little pay

Good people, low pay

Former Employee - Senior Applications Technician in Bear Lake, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Technician in Bear Lake, MI

I worked at Blarney Castle Oil and Propane full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people, friendly, wholesome, good benefits

Cons

Low pay, no morale perks

Improve morale perks and increase pay enterprise wide.

Co- workers generally are great.

I have been working at Blarney Castle Oil and Propane part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People very rarely get fired.

Cons

Management is a joke. The slogan is good customer service, but in reality they only care about bottom line and money. Pay is a joke, recently cut everyone to part time but expects same amount of work in less hours.

You need to loosen the money belt and pay people what they are worth. Fire the ones who don't pull their weight and send managers to some kind of training to teach them it isn't OK to gossip about co workers to other co workers. Oh, and don't assume people are telling the truth, especially when you have several witnesses telling you differently. You have lost a lot of good workers because of that attitude.

FAR too much work compared to the salary paid

Current Employee - Deli Worker
    Current Employee - Deli Worker

I have been working at Blarney Castle Oil and Propane part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I cannot think of anything really positive to tell someone to work there - unless they desperately needed a job.

Cons

The amount of work they request you to do is worthy of an 11.00 - 12.00/hour job. No matter how fast I go (and I've gotten pretty darn quick) I have an awful time trying to get all "chores" done. Part of that is other employees not doing their fair share. Another part of it is.....TOO much to do. I'm almost always greeted with "you didn't do this", "you didn't get this done", "why didn't you do _____" by my immediate boss. But I digress. Poor wages. All the weekends you can handle and them some. Management that has a very bad habit of "conveniently forgetting" promises. Employees aren't treated badly - but you will be "dispensable." Pretty much everything is about saving the company money and making the company money....not an unreasonable expectation but don't forget the corporate folk are taking home nice paychecks and you're literally getting crumbs earning it for them.

Schedule one more person to help with the load - seriously - it's too much. It's a wonderful thing for you (and many other companies) that we are in fairly hard financial times and people are forced to work this hard for chump change. I hope karma lives up to her name.

Better than being unemployed?

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Baldwin, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Baldwin, MI

I have been working at Blarney Castle Oil and Propane full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very little chance of layoff/hours maybe cut dramatically though
    For you druggies ,no drug screening even though they say they will

Cons

Very low pay for the massive work load
    management does not take any recommendations from workers
    Wages now frozen/very little chance of advancement
    Extremely high employee turnover(nearly 100% in two years)

Please hire managers &area managers that even remotely know how to run a retail bussiness and know anything about "human resources" Stop using the constant threat of write ups as an employee motivator.