Blattner Energy

Updated October 30, 2014
Updated October 30, 2014
4.1

Scott Blattner

Outstanding company to work for, great opportunities and plenty of travel. An industry leader in renewable energy.

I have been working at Blattner Energy

Pros

In my position I have traveled extensively around the country and Canada and have found it to be very rewarding. Without a doubt one of the best companies to work for. A very good mix of work/life balance and the entire compensation package for salaried employees is phenomenal. Company truck, repair card, gas card, on the road living expense covered, per diem, and full benefits make this one of the best. Plenty of work is available, and the risk of being laid off for salaried individuals is very low. Job stability is huge. Pay increases happen regularly with an annual bonus, depending on how the company did. An annual meeting in Minneapolis in January, all expenses paid, is simply a treat.

Cons

You have to go where the work is. And if your family doesn't travel with you then you are away from them for a couple of weeks at a time. Usually one gets every third weekend off to travel home, at the expense of the company. Again this is for salaried personnel.

Company that cares.

I worked at Blattner Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company really cares about their employees and pays them well.

Cons

Trial by fire and constantly moving from project to project are most common criticisms.

Even better work life balance.

Good place to learn and expand skills.

Former Employee - Equipment Operator
    Former Employee - Equipment Operator

I worked at Blattner Energy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Most Blattner jobs don't require the dirt work to be finished "to grade." This gives people like me the opportunity to build on my limited skills in Heavy Equipment. I have learned quite a bit of new things working for them.

Cons

My most recent job there seemed to have a lot of privileges given to people based on who they knew. Some decent locals get laid off, even when there's still work to be done. Out-of-Staters stick around working in your backyard.

Don't put arrogant Field Engineers in supervisor roles. Superintendents, get out and get to know your people and reward them every now and then.

Work lots of hours, but you are compensated for it.

Current Employee - Field Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Engineer

I have been working at Blattner Energy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They care about their people

Cons

hard to get home sometimes

Administrative Assistance as main contact to all office related issues and payroll.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Ocotillo, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Ocotillo, CA

I worked at Blattner Energy as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly and employee focused with benifits.

Cons

Contract work with limited time in any area.

Better office equipment with more dynamic software is needed for this position

Learned plenty about wind energy

Former Employee - Tower Wiring in Limon, CO
    Former Employee - Tower Wiring in Limon, CO

I worked at Blattner Energy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Training / advancement / In general good work culture, focus on safety, plenty of work hours, great reputation in the wind energy field. Great feeling of accomplishment of accomplishment at end of project

Cons

Long hours occasionally, tough conditions occasionally, the things that seem to go with many construction and erection

Sell more wind projects Blattner does a great job for the industry, its clients and end users.

They gave me opportunity to learn new things.

Former Employee - Heavy Equipment Operator in Mojave, CA
    Former Employee - Heavy Equipment Operator in Mojave, CA

I worked at Blattner Energy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay was good for what I was hired for (roller operator). I was given an opportunity within my first week to operate a dozer. I had no on the job experience running one, they gave me the chance anyway. I ended up operating a dozer for almost the rest of the job. I also got to run an excavator, also with no previous job experience.

Cons

Health Benefits could be better.

over all satisfied

I worked at Blattner Energy

Pros

very good experiance as far as construction goes

Cons

no real value for personal time

give more attention to workers contributon

Not for a family man. Frequent layoffs.

Current Employee - Leadman
    Current Employee - Leadman

I have been working at Blattner Energy

Pros

Starting pay at 14 an hour. Or if you know someone you can get more even with no experience. Learn a lot. Meet some good guys and gals, they become your second family. Get to work in different locations all over the country, even Canada.

Cons

You only get 50$ a day for per odium and work your way up to 85$ a day after something like 2400 hours of labor. You should get the same no matter what and more in my opinion and others I've worked with. They bid our per diem out at the same rate and for more than what they are giving us. They don't tell you where you're going next or that you're being laid off until the day you need to leave or are laid off. Its all about who you know and who you blow at this company. If someone don't like you, they will find a way to get rid of you. It has happened more than once in my presence. Once to a forman that did nothing wrong, the super just didnt like him. The insurance they offer you is garbage (midlands choice) and you are only offered medical. No eye or dental. The last couple years I have been laid off 4 times as long as 6 months. Some ppl longer. They don't offer travel pay at all say from Texas to Colorado. Its all out of your pocket. I could go on longer about the cons but I wont.

Look at the cons I've posted. Listen to your laborers, the ones that do the work.

Not a great lifestyle but alot of leadership experience in a short amount of time and good compensation.

Former Employee - Project Engineer
    Former Employee - Project Engineer

I worked at Blattner Energy

Pros

Many opportunities to travel and live in different parts of the U.S, exposed to different jurisdictional environments, new challenges on every project. Meet and work with people from all walks of life.

Cons

It is construction management: not conducive to a social, family based lifestyle. One needs to move with every project and cannot settle down in one place.

Clearer communication with employees about their future projects, maybe diversify the construction management aspect of the company.