Bleacher Report

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
3.7

John Martin

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Bleacher Report

Pros

lots of opportunity for professional growth, fast-growing company, great benefits, flexibility, great management, professional and fun work environment, excellent work-life balance, young

Cons

Communication across departments, communication with Turner (parent company)

Not the place for aspiring sportswriters

I worked at Bleacher Report

Pros

You get a byline on everything you write, which, theoretically, leads to great exposure.

Cons

At the end of the day, you're simply being used to generate content and attract page hits. There really isn't opportunity to advance within the structure they have set up.

Show you care about young writers!

Opportunity with little reward.

Former Employee - Editorial Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Editorial Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bleacher Report as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Considering how hard it was to get an internship, getting a quick turnaround from Bleacher Report meant a lot. The work itself was not very difficult, yet it was enjoyable.

Cons

It's an opportunity only worth taking if you're in college. For those of us just out with degrees... not so much. It's unpaid, plus there's little guarantee of a paid position after you've completed the internship. Tread very carefully.

I would hope that interns in the company get a chance to move up to paid status, but if Deadspin's article is any indication, it's very unlikely.

Best Job I've Ever Had ...

Former Employee - Writer Applications Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Writer Applications Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bleacher Report full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In-office environment is second-to-none; fantastic team-building outings; beer-pong Fridays; Sports; Bros; Location in Downtown San Francisco; access to sporting events

Cons

I couldn't live there forever; cost of living is a little salty; the food in SF can make you fat fast

Keep killin' it

Swept Problems under the Rug while pretending NOT to be Alcoholics

Former Employee - Contract Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Contract Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bleacher Report as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment if you like part professionalism and part fraternity. A lot going on.

Cons

People are either drinking all the time or sometimes drunk on the job, constantly. The upper management tends to sweep problems and people under the rug in an attempt to silence them before they have a chance to voice any ideas or complaints. The level of work waxes and wanes depending on how many Jaeger shots the team takes in afternoon.
    I was a contract designer, who was never paid on time, despite having direct deposit.. they always seemed to pay us late and had 800 excuses why.
    A perfect example was, I was owed money and i was about to leave for a trip, and they didnt pay me, yet again, and i was stranded where i was without any money because they couldnt pay me on time. once.

Either decide to clean your act up and become a professional company or stop allowing people to drink on the job.

Great experience

Former Employee - Writing Intern in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Writing Intern in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Bleacher Report part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Worked there before they exploded, was great experience working at a growing company.

Cons

Not much communication with senior level editors

Content management

Great place to learn about new technologies and they are very open to working on whatever you like.

I have been working at Bleacher Report full-time

Pros

Culture
    WFH Policy
    Creative Freedom
    Established Success
    Fun Annual Events
    Downtown Location

Cons

Bad SF Engineering Office
    Anual Raises < 10k
    Corporate Owned
    No Equity
    Horrible Chairs and Old Equipment
    Gym Coverage not 100%
    1 conference a year
    No Corporate Card
    Separated from the rest of the company
    Few Paid Lunches or Dinners (usually pizza)
    Content Driven vs Engineer Driven

Good place to start, but don't count on anything long-term

Current Employee - Editor
    Current Employee - Editor

I have been working at Bleacher Report full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working remotely, so don't have to worry about dressing up for work or fighting traffic to get to an office. If close to the offices, can have opportunities to connect with coworkers like group lunches, in-person meetings.

Smart, motivated coworkers. Despite working remotely, we all have a good rapport.

Time goes by quickly when working, especially during major sports events

Time off requests are flexible and easy to get; management generally never says no.

Company has grown since its start-up days and writing quality has gotten better, making articles smoother edits.

Cons

Some of the pros are just as easily cons. If you work remotely, you can be at a disadvantage because you often don't find out about meetings you'd like to attend or promotions you could've gotten until it's too late. It's also hard if you like in-person socializing with your coworkers on a regular basis.

Management never says no to time off, sure, but then sometimes when they let too many people off on one day, they get annoyed when you can't come to work because you've already made plans yourself. Have been pressured into working at least once when my team was short on coverage because three people were out. Schedule can change constantly, and some coworkers will not cover for you when needed, but then expect it for them. Others won't stay one minute past the end of their shifts or demand better days off even when they've been at the company less than a year.

Low turnover, so may be hard to advance into a position you want.

Company does not always respect writers, and with Turner acquisition, someone who grew within the company and turned in great work as a featured columnist (as I did) may be passed over because someone who works for The New York Times was recruited.

Some members of management or those in higher positions have no idea what they're doing or can't stay organized, and it shows.

Show respect for those who have put the company ahead of themselves by giving less ideal shifts to those who haven't covered for others or more junior team members.

Continue to promote writers from within, even if it's just to a paid featured columnist position.

Don't promote people to management who clearly aren't ready for increased responsibility.

Strong place to work

Former Employee - Lead Writer
    Former Employee - Lead Writer

I worked at Bleacher Report full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of exposure. Quality people.

Cons

Heavy workload. Pay was good, but not commiserate with how much work there was.

Pay your writers more.

Take Advantage of the Free Contributors

Former Employee - Intern/Featured Columnist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern/Featured Columnist in New York, NY

I worked at Bleacher Report as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Gives you a huge audience to share your work with. Quick postings and relatively free to write about what you want.

Cons

Despite being a Featured Columnist for over a year and completing an internship, there was no offer for employment and no response to any of the applications sent.