Blendtec

Craig Taylor

Pure Opportunity

Current Employee - Public Relations
    Current Employee - Public Relations

I have been working at Blendtec

Pros

In my time at Blendtec I was given opportunities that I couldn't have received anywhere else. There were many who I worked with and worked for whom I felt truly cared about my well being and my family. I felt validated and valued as I brought new perspective to traditional Blendtec operations.

The product is innovative and lends itself to great sales, marketing, engineering, and production achievements and opportunities.

Great continual learning opportunities as well through their Seven Habits certification and Blending 101 Classes.

Cons

There is no such thing as work without stress or frustrations at times, and Blendtec is no different. There were times I felt frustrated or demoralized when applying for other positions within the company, and even felt that I was unfairly passed up. However, with open dialogue and communication, those frustrations were resolved. I wish there had been more of that type of communication.

Keep dialogue open and remain approachable regarding employee concerns. Continue to view employees as people with families.

Can't Wait to Go to Work Each Day!

Current Employee - Junior Buyer
    Current Employee - Junior Buyer

I have been working at Blendtec full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Blendtec is a fantastic place to work! When I started (about 3 1/2 years ago), I was amazed at how coming to work felt like going to a family reunion. You have your co-workers you love and some that are that "annoying cousin" you just work with, but still love to death. I have been amazed at how easily my managers have allowed me to grow and to expand my knowledge. I have worked in two different departments within this company. Blendtec has education reimbursement and many other benefits that I have not had available from other companies I have worked for. They really encourage you to be your best and to improve. They also encourage employees to get out and have fun spreading the vision. I have participated in some of the races Blendtec has sponsored and on their running team. Those are experiences I wouldn't trade for anything! They have a great vision of how they can only become better, by having their employees become better. It is fun to see the changes and continuous improvement/innovations. It is very cool to be able to go somewhere and know that I was a part of the creation of the blender they are using. Blendtec is a place that you can proudly tell your friends you work! People are always interested and excited to talk to you about where you work.

Cons

Just growing pains. Change happens. I have watched people come and go. I have been part of restructuring and switching computer systems. While they had their headaches, they have all eventually ironed out to fantastic results that you can't imagine how you ever lived doing them any other way and surviving. I have never woke up in the morning dreading going to work.

There are many talented people that hide in the woodwork that don't know how to find out how to switch departments or don't ever hear about the new opportunities. Better communicating internal and external job postings to all employees.

Blendtec Review

Current Employee - Engineer in Orem, UT

I have been working at Blendtec full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced, innovative and exciting environment. Company cares about employees and their health and wellbeing, as is demonstrated by onsite clinic, gym, personal trainer ect.. Company has great products and core values that are easy to get behind, made in USA, healthy living. Great team to work with.

Cons

Has some quirks being privately held by an entrepreneur, this results in some unusual processes that can be good or bad depending on position in company.

Hire good people and empower them to do their job.

Great people, I couldn't ask for more from a company of this size.

Current Employee - Engineer in Orem, UT

I have been working at Blendtec full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Always innovating, empowering people and promoting employee’s development. My job is challenging and rewarding. I love coming to work every day, even on Mondays.

Cons

It’s hard to find a negative aspect of a company when you’ve witnessed the effort management puts into making employees happy.

keep it up

Growing company with lots of potential.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT

I have been working at Blendtec full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits package. Quarterly bonuses - in 5+ years I've worked here the company has never missed paying out a quarterly bonus. Company is focused on hiring from within whenever possible so there are a lot of opportunities for upward movement. Other perks - free gym and personal trainer, on-site massage therapist, on-site medical clinic, on-site Bistro.

Cons

Growing pains - company has been growing very rapidly which has caused issues in nearly every department. Recently converted to a new ERP system that had MAJOR issues.
    It's a privately owned company so the owner, Tom Dickson, can really sway how things are done (commonly called "The Tom factor"). A fair number of his decisions are based on emotion instead of data. He can also make knee-jerk decisions to hire people for critical positions that should be based on their qualifications - not hired because they used to be Tom's neighbor.

Need to evaluate all supervisors, managers, etc for performance. There are a few managers that have not been replaced despite years of obvious poor performance. This really damages employee moral.

Positive Environment at a Growing and Thriving Company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT

I have been working at Blendtec full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people I work with are so friendly, professional and talented, no matter what department! Executive leadership truly cares about the employees and about the quality and integrity of the products. Excellent compensation, and benefits. Onsite Bistro is amazing! I truly feel a part of the company family, even though I have been with the company less than a year. This company is doing amazing things and has so much potential and I am honored to be a part of it. Best employer, supervisor, and co-workers I've ever had!

Cons

Parking is a bear sometimes... That is my only complaint!

Share stats, data, and goals with all of the employees. It will help everyone to feel like they are a part of the team, and help combat rumors, and get everyone working together on a united front. Allow communication to flow freely so employees will feel safe in sharing thoughts, ideas, and constructive criticism.

Tom Loves to See His Own Marketing Team Fail

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT

I worked at Blendtec full-time

Pros

Company is doing well financially, bonuses can be fairly good. As long as you're not on the Marketing team, you'll probably like it there.

Cons

The owner Tom Dickson has a strong dislike for anything marketing related. If sales go up he believes it's the Sales Department and nothing to do with the Marketing team. He distrusts marketing so much that he replaces marketing directors and marketing teams on a yearly basis. If you're looking for a marketing job, don't look here. This includes the creative team. There's little direction and leadership on the creative team and because the environment is so toxic within marketing, there's little room for actual creativity.

Someone really needs to explain to Tom Dickson the value of great marketing beyond "Will it Blend" videos that everyone is now tired of seeing. This company would soar to new levels and be as well known as Vitamix if Tom wouldn't sabotage his own marketing teams. It's really unfortunate to see and incredibly frustrating. Especially, when they've got such talent there. Unfortunately Tom's attitude towards marketing and his constant threats and actions towards the team drives most people to look for other work...if they aren't fired first for no reason.

Short time

I worked at Blendtec

Pros

I has a good bonus program if you can last more than a year. If you are looking for a permanent job, this is not the company you want to pursue.

Cons

Management hires friends with little experience which causes confusion at the company. Owner has a good heart but the company suffers causes of it. Company has a very high turn over due to all the confusion, hiring of friends and hiring of inexperienced people.. A company that has a turn over rate of 60% has issues and really needs to address what is causing it.

Hire some experience and try to retain your experienced you have. It would make a soother running company and retention of employees would be better.

Fabulous Company, Great Culture, Room for Advancement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT

I have been working at Blendtec full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Blendtec encourages a healthy and happy well-being culture. Along with the encouragement they provide multiple benefits to their employees such as a gym open to all employees, on-site health clinic, bistro, Dietitian/Nutritionist and massage therapist along with all of their great Medical, Vision and Dental benefits. There is a ton of growth going on in the company right now and it is truly a great thing to be a part of. All upper management are go-getters and want to see their employees grow and be successful. Blendtec helps all employees progress to where they want to be in their career and love to see advancement with in the company.

Cons

With the growth of the company there has become limited room for parking. Although, with all of the new up-to-date renovations I am sure there are plans for more parking in the near future.

Miserable

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT

I have been working at Blendtec full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Product is amazing. People I work with are cool.

Cons

I feel sad because I work lots of hours and lots of over time. But my hard work and effort is constantly over looked. We are expected to work over time. But when I started I was told that this company was very serious about employees having a healthy family, work life balance. That is no longer true or part of the company culture. We have been told that raises are coming. We should have had raises in June, but nothing. The CEO told us it would be in October, but still nothing. The executive team and HR continually misleads Blendtec employees when we ask about raises. My supervisor told me that he can't get a straight answer out of HR about if raises really will happen.

Focus on what you want the culture of the company to be and explain your goals with the employees. Help us see your vision. Please show us you care about us and give us raises!