Blendtec

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tom Dickson

I'm excited about our future, Sales are up costs are going down.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Orem, UT

ProsGood people, great products, Finally some really good top managers. Gym, profit sharing, cafeteria, medical clinic, massage, free blender, better than average pay.

ConsEmployee morale is low due to replacing lots of people this last two years. It did need to be done though.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! Eliminate wast and respect people.

I like where Blendtec is headed

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Orem, UT

ProsIncredible CEO (Craig Taylor). He definitely cares about the company, people and culture. The executive team in place right now seem to be the right people in the right positions. I am excited for what this new year brings. I cannot describe the excitement I feel about Blendtec right now. I am excited to be part of it.

ConsI have seen some unpleasant things take place this year. But it looks like Upper management has taken care of the issues. There may be some stragglers. Hopefully that will change by either the person/people changing or a change in management.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing. I honestly feel like I count. I am so excited to be part of this company.

Great Everything, Untrained Supervisors

Assembly Line (Former Employee) Orem, UT

ProsI loved working there on the assembly line. The company, management, and human resources care about you. The CEO, not the owner, even sat down with me once and chatted about a product idea I had. He showed me that they take everything into consideration. Gym, cafeteria, benefit options, free blender, decent pay, opportunities to move up.

ConsI felt like the supervisors and line leads, although they generally were nice people, were very untrained as far as leading people. And that the qualities that the corporate management and human resources should also be lived by them. Yet this may be a problem with many great companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your line leads and supervisors to treat your employees as great as you do!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great product, diffused sales efforts

ProsNumber one in innovation in their niche market.
    Family run all American company and almost entirely American made quality product.
    You can stand behind the product.
    Supervisors are understanding and will work with you.
    Very likely the best viral guerrilla marketing campaigns conceived for YouTube.

ConsConstantly changes sales platforms and compensation strategy. Not all of this is within their control.
    Not all management seems to have a good balance between what is good for the company and what is good for the employees.

Flexible, Progress Oriented, but lacks Open Communication

ProsBlendtec has an awesome product and an amazing manufacturing facility.

ConsDue to corporate restructuring and a growing turnover, employee morale is on the decline. Additionally, rampant nepotism makes advancements very difficult.

The Highs & Lows of Blendtec

National Sales Manager (Former Employee) Orem, UT

ProsVery innovative. Trouble getting customer excited. Some nice on-site perks: Fitness Facility, Cafeteria, Clinic.

ConsVery volatile middle management. Most last 18 months to 2 years. Takes to long to bring products to market.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the people you hire, they are trying to grow your company!!! Spend money on advertising your innovations and technology!!!

Great product, lots of unrealized potential as a company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Orem, UT

ProsBlendtec has a long history of innovation and is committed to producing the best blender available. The product is amazing. The people are fun to work with and the company tries to value it's employees.

ConsThe company culture is extremely eccentric. The owner of the company is a true entrepreneur. He always has new ideas, some of which make great sense, some of which are real head scratchers. It would be nice to have more consistent direction from the top.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on ideas and projects that make good business sense, not just the latest "shower thoughts". Set strong company goals that will help guide decisions. Report regularly on metrics measuring progress on the goals. Hold everybody accountable for their performance.

Tough pitchman job with a flawed product.

Costco Roadshow Representative (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsIt is fun pitching products inside of Costco stores and if it is a busy store in a middle to high income area, you can make money.

ConsBlendtec has had a leaking bearing gasket issue with their jars for years with no fix yet. I had customers tell me their jars were leaking, and all I could do is let them know that they could get a new jar. Also there is a lot of air pocket problem when blending ice cream as we were trained to do! ..as well as some customers complaining about difficulty in getting smooth blends with frozen fruit.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix that darned gasket issue with double bearings or whatever it takes!. Add additional blades to eliminate the air pocket in thick blends and chunks in frozen fruits.
     Also, after these fixes are done...do some real advertising to help the reps out there busting their tails off competing with a highly advertised and decent blender called Ninja. You are losing a huge market share to them and Vitamix, mainly for being cheapo and not improving your blenders!

Miss-managed company

ProsThere are some very good people working here. The company provides good benefits and a great bonus program. Great products. A lot of potential.

ConsSenior staff is out of touch, uncaring, and too far removed from what is going on. The employee morale is horrible and getting worse, but the problems continue. There are improper hiring practices going on as the executive team makes room and creates positions for friends. The lean initiative is a joke. Data is not real and is made up to placate management. There are certain aspects of improvement, but overall things are much worse than they were before. Employees are extremely frustrated but cannot say anything to management for fear of job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince your heads are in the sand, hire an outside unbiased company to come in and survey the employees so you can get an idea of how things really are and how people really feel. Then let's change together and actually make improvements and create the culture we want without all the forms and fluff that are unnecessary and a waste of time for everyone.

Blendtec broke my heart

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Orem, UT

ProsIncredible product. There is nothing that compares. You get a free blender after 90 days. There are great people that work for Blendtec.

ConsPolitics are politics. It is really disgusting. If you can't trust HR or anyone on the executive team it really makes it difficult to thrive in your position. I heard managers in HR talking about firing an employee. They said they wanted to do it right now but felt they needed to wait until that person trained their replacement. It makes me sick. There is no loyalty. Having an awesome product but no loyalty to employees is not a good mix. I would not recommend for anyone to work at Blendtec.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement Vital Smarts! Don't just attend the courses and throw out buzz words to make yourself look and sound good. Actually use the tools to benefit your employees. Learn and understand the word "loyal". The product is amazing and the company can be something that compares to nothing else in the industry. But there must be a healthy balance of incredible product and incredible management.

Worked for Blendtec? Contribute to the Community!