Blendtec

Updated February 25, 2015
3.4

Craig Taylor

Don't do it!

I have been working at Blendtec part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Somewhat decent salaries, competitive benefits package, bistro (onsite cafeteria), onsite clinic, free blender. Some real friendly, talented people..

Cons

As a family "run" company, it will NEVER be a success. Sure, the business is profitable because they have a half decent product but signing up for a career here is a dead end. The arrogance and egos at play will keep a good company down. They fire any good talent they have that dare to question the idiocy and incompetency of management.

Employee turnover is extremely high! And why wouldn't it be in such an environment. There is NO attempt at company culture whatsoever. The weekly ra-ra speeches saying everything's going great are a joke. It's their way or the highway. Employees are expendable, not developed or invested in and treated as replaceable parts to a bigger ignorant machine.

I laugh at the "great company to work for" review attempts by employees. Those aren't fooling anyone.

Get out of your own way and let the talent you have do their jobs as they were hired to do.

Overall great company to work for

I have been working at Blendtec full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Blendtec provides not only great amenities for the employees, they also work hard to maintain a positive culture. We receive a quarterly bonus that is based off the profitability of the company. Any one that has worked at other companies can see that this environment and company is outstanding.

Cons

With the growth of the company a lot of departments are working there way from the ground up.

NA

Such a disappointment

Former Employee - Former Blended Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Former Blended Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blendtec full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Being a rep, you are an independent contractor, so your have flexibility in which weeks you work. They make a good product and it's fun to run demos. Make sure you work for a good and honest regional manager because he will be the ONLY blendtec employee who will ever appreciate your hard work and be on your side.

Cons

A very selfish company who only cares about numbers and bottom dollar. They put no thought into how their reps feel or how much they work. Will never back you up when problems arise and threaten your job every month just to keep you on your toes.

Start caring about the people who actually sell your product. Don't ask them to "take one for the team" when you've made it VERY clear we are not part of your team. We are independent contractor and not your employees, you cannot govern how we choose to run our business. Get it together for the sake of the good reps and managers you have left.

Great place to work

I have been working at Blendtec full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits (on-site bistro, 24-7 fitness center, free personal trainer, on-site massage therapist, on-site health clinic, free blender, discounted products, etc) and competitive pay. Bonuses are quarterly and are also excellent. Co-workers are fun and talented people to work with. Lots of internal hiring/promoting. Company growth/outlook is high.

(Honestly baffled by the negative reviews...yes there are annoyances but there is no such thing as a company that runs exactly how you want it to, or that provides as many employee benefits including quarterly bonuses. And no i'm not upper management. But I am older and I've been in the workforce long enough to see that BT is a great company.)

Cons

Parking is terrible, bc there is no place to park. Nepotism is pretty obvious and there are a couple people who seem to make things more difficult than they need to be and/or unpleasant.

Would love to have more flexibile scheduling company-wide. Some dpts come in early and leave early...would love the same! But that's just a wish list. Blessed to work here!

Don't be fooled

I worked at Blendtec

Pros

It is a good product that sales it self. The company has a fitness center and a good place to eat for lunch. Good bonuses.

Cons

The place has a high turn over and keeps people in upper management that don't know what they are doing. The owner hires friends that are unexperienced and it is reflected in the very high turnover in the company. If you are looking for a job for 1 to 2 years with no raises for the employees, this is your company. If you are looking for a company that values employees and family life this is not for you. Anybody that gives this company a 5 star rating must be someone in upper management trying to save their jobs.

Try hiring people with experience and if you hire some one with experience, try to retain them. Quit hiring friends and neighbors and hire some experience. You need to get rid of the good talkers in upper management and get some one with experience.

They will never appreciate your talent

Former Employee - Creative Team in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Creative Team in Orem, UT

I worked at Blendtec full-time

Pros

Fellow coworkers were fabulous and amazing people. Pay met the minimum requirements for the area and positions. Benefits were good and it was nice to have 4 bonuses a year. Product is fun and one of the best in the market, but still needing improvement.

Cons

Owner of the company makes it miserable. Not all positions require working with this individual but if it does don't work there. You will work in fear for your job. Which is the most unhealthy environment to be in for your career. He also has little minions running around doing his dirty work like recording conversations and spying. Literally. He is notorious for getting talented people fired. He is stuck in the 70s and thinks the company needs no improvement. Then fires the ones who help in succeed. He also does bad business with vendors and tries to manipulate contracts and basically steal money from them. Your integrity will falter knowing what goes on inside those walls.

Management needs to stand up to the owner. Instead of run around with their tails between their legs. Stop being "yes sir" employees.

It feels great to be acknowledged for my abilities and effort. I have never been compensated the way I am at Blendtec.

Current Employee - Team Lead in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Orem, UT

I have been working at Blendtec full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They have excellent benefits and pay. They truly value their employees and customers. Blendtec builds an outstanding product that I truly believe in and backs it up 100%. One of the few companies still around that gives quarterly bonuses and pays people what they are really worth. Small hometown feel with worldwide growth. One of the few powerhouses out there that doesn't treat their employees like cattle. The CEO and owners treat everyone like family. You see them everywhere really getting involved. Any day of the week, you can sit down in the Bistro and have breakfast or lunch with any of them and they will welcome you with open arms regardless of your position or tenure. You can even wander into the Giant Blender that is attached to the CEO's office without feeling like an intruder.

Cons

Some of the employees' inability to move forward into the realm of growth and prosperity. Change is never easy, but it is rewarding. They'll come around.

Keep it up! You have our support because you really make us feel valuable to the team. GO TEAM BLENDTEC!!!! Give out some Blendtec swag! I would be honored to represent my awesome company by sporting Blendtec clothing! 400 walking billboards.....what could be better???

Can't Wait to Go to Work Each Day!

Current Employee - Junior Buyer
    Current Employee - Junior Buyer

I have been working at Blendtec full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Blendtec is a fantastic place to work! When I started (about 3 1/2 years ago), I was amazed at how coming to work felt like going to a family reunion. You have your co-workers you love and some that are that "annoying cousin" you just work with, but still love to death. I have been amazed at how easily my managers have allowed me to grow and to expand my knowledge. I have worked in two different departments within this company. Blendtec has education reimbursement and many other benefits that I have not had available from other companies I have worked for. They really encourage you to be your best and to improve. They also encourage employees to get out and have fun spreading the vision. I have participated in some of the races Blendtec has sponsored and on their running team. Those are experiences I wouldn't trade for anything! They have a great vision of how they can only become better, by having their employees become better. It is fun to see the changes and continuous improvement/innovations. It is very cool to be able to go somewhere and know that I was a part of the creation of the blender they are using. Blendtec is a place that you can proudly tell your friends you work! People are always interested and excited to talk to you about where you work.

Cons

Just growing pains. Change happens. I have watched people come and go. I have been part of restructuring and switching computer systems. While they had their headaches, they have all eventually ironed out to fantastic results that you can't imagine how you ever lived doing them any other way and surviving. I have never woke up in the morning dreading going to work.

There are many talented people that hide in the woodwork that don't know how to find out how to switch departments or don't ever hear about the new opportunities. Better communicating internal and external job postings to all employees.

Great people, I couldn't ask for more from a company of this size.

Current Employee - Engineer in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Engineer in Orem, UT

I have been working at Blendtec full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Always innovating, empowering people and promoting employee’s development. My job is challenging and rewarding. I love coming to work every day, even on Mondays.

Cons

It’s hard to find a negative aspect of a company when you’ve witnessed the effort management puts into making employees happy.

keep it up

Pure Opportunity

Current Employee - Public Relations
    Current Employee - Public Relations

I have been working at Blendtec

Pros

In my time at Blendtec I was given opportunities that I couldn't have received anywhere else. There were many who I worked with and worked for whom I felt truly cared about my well being and my family. I felt validated and valued as I brought new perspective to traditional Blendtec operations.

The product is innovative and lends itself to great sales, marketing, engineering, and production achievements and opportunities.

Great continual learning opportunities as well through their Seven Habits certification and Blending 101 Classes.

Cons

There is no such thing as work without stress or frustrations at times, and Blendtec is no different. There were times I felt frustrated or demoralized when applying for other positions within the company, and even felt that I was unfairly passed up. However, with open dialogue and communication, those frustrations were resolved. I wish there had been more of that type of communication.

Keep dialogue open and remain approachable regarding employee concerns. Continue to view employees as people with families.