Blinds.com

Updated February 13, 2015
Updated February 13, 2015
4.7

Jay Steinfeld

Happiness at work? Yes please!

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition/Human Resources in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition/Human Resources in Houston, TX

I have been working at Blinds.com full-time

Pros

It's a progressive company where new ideas are often encouraged. The core values are embedded into how things are run. You can often find people walking around, chatting and laughing with each other.

There are good people here - I have a manager that challenges and supports me and I'm empowered to challenge him (and support him) as well. There are great managers in other departments that do the same.

Fun events (like lunch-n-learns) occur and you're encouraged to participate. We've had a bunch of celebrations to build camaraderie and maintain our culture.

Cons

Numbers are starting to play a key role to the point where you can hear side conversations about fear of culture shift to corporate bureaucracy.

If you don't like being interrupted on occasion to chat with a colleague, this could be a difficult place for you since it's an open environment.

Getting the right people on board is critical to the company's growth and success. Reward the top performers in ALL departments who follow the core values. Continue maintaining the Blinds.com culture as we grow and expand. It's a great place to work - let's strive to keep it that way.

Live the core values and you will succeed

Current Employee - Mobile User Experience Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Mobile User Experience Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Blinds.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is a company where you can actually live and breathe the core values and be happy every single day.
    Experiment without fear of failure, speak up and be honest, enjoy the ride, and continuously improve every aspect of work and life.

Cons

If you're not a self-starter you probably won't enjoy your time here. Also, if you can't have a real conversation without being abstract and theoretical, you will lose traction and credibility.

I love it here. My biggest fear today is culture change.

Feb 11, 2015Recruiter

Great feedback! You're part of the Blinds.com culture, so you play a key role in shaping it as we grow and expand. Continue pushing for our core values, especially speaking up and being yourself. We ... More

Pretty Dang Amazing!

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Blinds.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to grow to your level of ambition, drive and ability.
    Culture that fits a self-motivated, fun-loving and continuous-improving individual.
    Latitude to discover hidden strengths and help the community, company and yourself by excelling in these areas.

Cons

Employees are smart & often opinionated. If you want to succeed here, you need to be willing to go toe-to-toe and ENJOY it.

Keep the culture of continuous improvement and experimentation going strong. Even though we are now part of a big company, maintain that feeling that each of us is an "entrepreneur" to keep everyone inspired and growing.

Feb 11, 2015Recruiter

Thanks for the insight. We hope you continue to experiment without fear and challenge others to grow by speaking up and being yourself. New ideas can pop up anywhere; we will be there to support you ... More

An exciting, supportive place to grow.

Current Employee - Social Media Marketing in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Social Media Marketing in Houston, TX

I have been working at Blinds.com

Pros

-People are truly happy to come in to work every day and very friendly and welcoming.
    -Want to develop a new skill? Whether it's cave diving, origami, coding or photoshop, odds are that someone here knows how and will share their skills with you.
    -Flexible hours.
    -Casual dress.
    -Open, collaborative office plan.
    -Strong culture. The core values aren't just something in a handbook. We live and breathe them every day. Hiring, business decisions and bonuses are based on the core values.
    -Fun, google-like office.
    -Open dialogue with management, even about controversial issues. At weekly "Say Jay" all hands meetings, we sometimes have a town hall to talk about changes to benefits and other hot topics so that management can hear how we really feel about things and act accordingly.

Cons

-If you're not analytically-minded you might find working here challenging. Decisions are based on numbers and performance, not just what looks pretty or sounds fancy.

Keep listening and improving!

Feb 11, 2015Recruiter

Never stop improving continuously! We will continue to maintain an open dialogue where feedback from all perspectives is encouraged in order to grow.

Best job I ever had.

Current Employee - Supply Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Supply Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Blinds.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomy, respect, the freedom to experiment without fear, camaraderie, diversity.Tremendous work environment.

Cons

Scaling fast so you need to remain flexible. Need more accountability in the Customer Engagement Center.

Maintain our culture, cull out non performers.

Feb 11, 2015Recruiter

We appreciate the feedback. We'll continue to strive to maintain our culture as we grow and expand.

Forward-thinking company

I have been working at Blinds.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Professional growth, personal growth, work-life balance, positive work environment, talented coworkers, best culture of any company I've ever worked for

Cons

Ambiguity surrounding long-term company direction/focus, implementation of large-company bureaucracy, departments are not held to common performance standards

Feb 13, 2015Recruiter

Thanks for the feedback. We're glad you're having a positive experience and will do our best to provide more clarity on where we are heading in the future.

Best company I have worked for period!

Current Employee - Senior Mobile Developer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Mobile Developer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Blinds.com

Pros

I have worked for over 2 dozen companies as a consultant but I can proudly say that none of the companies come even close to Blinds.com. I started with Blinds.com 4-5 months full-time
     ago and it has been a fun ride. Here are some of the pros:

- Super awesome office. It is really like working in Google. The open spaces and a lot of sitting area. Love it!
    - Blinds.com culture is super awesome! Everyone is encouraged to interact with other departments. Lots of talented people who are willing to help whenever needed.
    - Since Blinds.com is now owned by Home Depot we get a lot of benefits which are norm in the big companies.
    - Every idea is appreciated and you are encouraged to think about more ideas on which you can work on .. just like a startup! How cool is that!!
    - Everyone appreciates the work you are doing!
    - Cake :)

Cons

Seriously I cannot really think of a con! I like everything about the job!

- Just do what you are doing

I love it!

Jan 22, 2015Recruiter

Awesome! We appreciate your support and ideas in helping us continue to be a great place to work for all Blinds.comers!

Been a software developer for 30 years and this is the best place I have ever worked

Current Employee - .NET Development Leader in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - .NET Development Leader in Houston, TX

I have been working at Blinds.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Leading edge technology e-commerce platform
    - Focus on sustainable pace
    - Family friendly culture
    - Relevant projects that deliver value to the business
    - 100% agile featuring self-organizing teams that actually get to make their own decisions
    - Part of The Home Depot so excellent benefits, good financial stability and lots of room for career growth in Houston and around the country
    - Cake (did I mention the cake?)

Cons

- With power and freedom comes great responsibility
    - We don't work much overtime, but we have an intense focus on being productive in the 40 hours a week we work
    - Being cross-functional is fun but sometimes it involves getting out of your comfort zone

- Keep up the good work
    - Maintain what is unique about your culture even now that you are part of The Home Depot

Jan 22, 2015Recruiter

Thanks for the feedback. We will do our best to maintain our fun culture! Yay for cake!

My experience has been amazing. I have NO room to complain.

Current Employee - Customer Service in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Houston, TX

I have been working at Blinds.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can wear whatever you want to work, hats, flip flops, shorts...etc. They promote hard honest workers, not people who have been there the longest just because of their time with the company. Bonuses, and profit sharing bring in extra money, and both sales and service agents are on performance based compensation = hard work means more pay. Most call center people earn well over $25 per hour. Flexible schedules and work from home opportunities. Great management. Great coworkers. Free CAKE all the time. Super job.

Cons

For sales and service, it is still a call center, and it is still a job. It can get boring, and you run in to those special customers from time to time that make you want to...uhhhh, take a break. When you consider the great pay that comes along with this though, and the overall great job, it is well worth it. Where else do high school educated gals and guys come in, feel respected and earn over $50,000 per year on a 40 hour a week job???

Stay Awesome!

Dec 11, 2014Recruiter

Love the feedback! Glad that you're "enjoying the ride" at Blinds.com!

Best career move I have ever made!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Blinds.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great coaching, mentoring and amazing open door policy. Management do really want to hear about your ideas and suggestions. Really fun work environment with great work/life balance.

Cons

-People around you can get pretty loud and distracting and makes it hard to hear customers on the other end of the line.

-Office tours almost everyday with groups of people which is very distracting.

-Slight favoritism

Keep up the great work and success!

May 6, 2014Recruiter

Thanks for the great feedback! We take a lot of pride in the continued development of our employees. We're working hard as we scale the facility to address your concerns about distractions ... More