Blinds to Go

Updated September 2, 2014
Updated September 2, 2014
3.2

Stephen J. Shiller

Pros
  • Learn how to deal with customer service issues and make your own decisions on them (in 8 reviews)

• You learn a lot about home decor and are molded into a warm sales person, that has a lot of knowledge about widow treatments (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours you work 10 hours a day (at the least) and you only get one unpaid 30 minute break (in 17 reviews)

• Upper management does not care about the workers (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Learn a lot but work hard

Current Employee - Design Consultant  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Blinds to Go full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone is really nice and wants to help you learn new things. Growth opportunity is only given to people who have proven themselves in the stores so no one is hired outside for management, marketing, etc. the culture of feedback is good bc you always know how you're doing.

Cons

Understaffed right now, meaning longer hours for most people and longer waits for the customers. Customers spend a lot of money so they get upset when mistakes are made.

Hire more people!

Nice place to start out

Current Employee - Management Trainee
    Current Employee - Management Trainee

I have been working at Blinds to Go full-time for less than a year

Pros

A lot of feedback from different employees and managers. They really take the time to mold you into not only a better employee but person as well starting from your first week at University. Good starting pay and benefits. Flexibility with schedules dependent on how busy the stores are and your manager.

Cons

Long hours can really add up on your feet. If you are in a busy store you will have to pick up things quickly or be left behind. Stores are understaffed right now so you will end up doing a lot more work than you probably are being paid for. Customer Service issues also can take away from your actual commission making potential. Managers are more behind the scenes since it has been so busy. Senior DC's are leaving because of the lack of promotions / no pay increase after years of being there.

Show more appreciation to those who do the behind the scene / front line jobs. Keep doing what you are doing with company culture.

Good Company

I have been working at Blinds to Go full-time

Pros

Very good development program and pays well for entry level. If you want to learn the skills you will need to be successful in business and in life, they will teach you.

Cons

Hours are long, but you are told this up front. Some stores can be very slow and some stores can be very busy. If you are in a slow store, it sometimes feels like you are stuck.

Work on your recruiting as too many stores are understaffed.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Design Consultant

Former Employee - Design Consultant
    Former Employee - Design Consultant

I worked at Blinds to Go full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

No cold calling
    No B2B
    Always Hiring

Cons

All sales - all the time
    Lots of down time
    Slow Grow
    Long hours
    Managers are young and have no clue on how to grow people - CEO Manipulates them like Puppets
    High Turnover

This should recruited as a sales position not MT Program.
    The hand book says any driving over 50 miles round trip should get compensation - Please take it out of the book or pay

Great place for growth!

Former Employee - Interim Manager  in  Eatontown, NJ
    Former Employee - Interim Manager in Eatontown, NJ

I worked at Blinds to Go full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a great place to grow and learn vital skills you need for life and other jobs as well. Wouldn't have been able to secure my new job as a teacher without the skills I have learned from blinds to go. Team atmosphere is great and you will love working with your coworkers. Feedback is given all the time to help you to grow. Good benefit package and closes from Christmas to New Years. Starting off pay is good.
    Learn how to sell and really care about customers. Small company so you will know everyone over time. Is salary plus commission and weekly pay. Learn how to deal with customer service issues and make your own decisions on them.

Cons

Long hours on your feet. It is a retail job so it can wear you down. Stores can be understaffed for a while as well which adds to wearing you out. Can be moved around to other stores so commutes can become very long and will put wear and tear on your car.
    Feedback can be hard to hear so if your not a person who is open and wants to change things about yourself to improve this is not the place for you. Raises aren't given because of time with company and will happen on performance and moving into management, so if your not looking for management, unless a company wide raise is given, you will stay at the same pay.

Keep doing what your doing to develop people. Think about giving raises to senior design consultants who have been on the job for a while to retain them.

Sales

I have been working at Blinds to Go

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Upper management is delusional. Use student right out of college to increase there sales and create a false of career growth.

Great place for growth

I have been working at Blinds to Go full-time

Pros

Lots of feedback, culture very focused on growth and development
    Team oriented
    Vice President is always accessible and hands on with training
    Real management and leadership experience
    Friendly work environment
    Working one on one with customers, easy product to sell
    Not pushy sales, focus is really on helping customers not selling the most expensive product
    Good pay/benefits
    Always room for growth- company only promotes from within

Cons

Retail hours - mandatory weekends
    Stores need more staffing

To bad I had to move ;(

Former Employee - Sales - Manager In Training  in  North Attleboro, MA
    Former Employee - Sales - Manager In Training in North Attleboro, MA

I worked at Blinds to Go full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great training and management staff - I felt like the company as a whole including the President of the company was vested in my growth - to bad I had to relocate to another state where they are not currently in :/ -- Awesome opportunity to grow in the company in the MA market where they are investing in hopes of growth - the biz is there they just need more ppl

Cons

work days can be long - and they are currently under staffed in the MA market. I didnt mind cus it ment growth opp but it sucked sometimes on busy days. Good thing I got along well with my manager...very down to earth. Being retail hours I knew what I was getting into but not easy nonetheless but it was worth it cus with my training and experience I got a job in Texas rather fast.

Hire more ppl!!! and from a personal stand point it would help if we got to visit HQ and get some training there too.

Misleading recruiting process, OK resume building job

Former Employee - Management Trainee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Boston, MA

I worked at Blinds to Go full-time for more than a year

Pros

-There is some good feedback.
    -You will learn how to sell to customers.
    -This is an alright resume building job. I was able to learn and develop some skills and characteristics that will help me in my career.
    -If you have a bubbly and optimistic personality, love customer service, and can put on a smile everyday then you will do well at this job.

Cons

-Aggressive recruiting style. They will be misleading in order to recruit new employees. The first step in the recruiting process is a "store visit" which is an informal interview, usually conducted by a management candidate that will be trying to "sell" the job to you. When I went to my store visit I was told that the company was great to work for. I was told that the company is in an expansion process and that they would be opening three new stores right in the Boston Area within a year! I was told that the reason for all the recruiting is because they needed to get new employees hired and trained in order to make these new stores possible. I was also told that the management trainee path to management is performance based, but an average timeline is 12-18 months.
    -I worked for the company for 18 months and none of these things I was told about in the store visit happened. The company never opened any new stores in the Boston Area. However the company did close down stores in other markets. I also did not make it to management in the time line I was told and neither did any one else I worked with. A more accurate time line would probably be 3 years. The company has a very high turnover rate which is the reason for the aggressive recruiting. The stores in the market were usually understaffed. I had also worked with good employees who were fired for almost no reason. I had seen a couple employees fired for questioning their interest within the company. I had also worked with employees who were fired because management found out that they had updated their resumes online. You would think that a company that is already understaffed would want to hold on to their employees but I guess not.
    -The management training program itself is sub par. There is very little training involved. You are basically hired to be a sales associate. I was a serious candidate for management and I worked along side my manager at most two days a week. How can they thoroughly train someone for management only two days a week!? I would also be given new employees to train, sometimes multiple employees at the same time. Training a new employee can take up to three months and during that time your personal sales go down and this is a commission position. And to add insult to injury they question you on why your sales are down and tell you to figure it out and make them go back up. Then they tell you not to make excuses for your sales dropping. They don't seem to understand that these are not excuses, they are valid reasons! It takes simple logic to understand that when focusing on training new employees that your personal sales will drop. Take these reviews seriously before accepting this position, many of them are very accurate.
    -Some cons will be told to you in the recruiting process which include:
    -Long hours and you are on your feet the entire day
    -No weekends off
    -I started out here with a great attitude and did everything they asked, I changed the things that they asked me to change, only to be let down over and over again.

Don't lead employees on and lie to them. Hire employees because they will be a good fit for the position, not just because you need bodies. Try and be a little more realistic during the recruiting process.

Not what i initially expected.

I have been working at Blinds to Go

Pros

Great if you want and like to change your personality to become a manager. Different from most retail stores.

Cons

Long hours, company culture could be a bit unrealistic at times, and different from most retail stores.

Worked for Blinds to Go? Contribute to the Community!