Blink Music

Interning

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Blink Music as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great learning experience
    Opportunity to be hired at the end of the internship
    Nice sales training
    Intelligent coworkers
    MUSIC!!!

Cons

Unfortunately, they only do unpaid internships but there is potential to be hired after the internship is completed

I know it's tough but if you could hire a full timer for each division the interns would have more structure and wouldn't become lazy.

Working for Blink

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Blink Music as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Learn to know what it's like to work for a small business, most of the interns are easy to get along with

Cons

Except for the owner, all "employees" are unpaid, and if they are paid, it's all under the table. There are no paid internships offered or even regularly paid staff. There is a high turnover rate because people are only hired for 3 or 6 month internships. It wont really matter what an intern is hired to do--audio, marketing, film scoring, etc. because everything goes to Blink High End and how to sell audio equipment that ranges from $1,000-$240,000. The interns are expected to have the knowledge of someone that has been in the field of marketing, engineering, etc. for 5+ years but that's not at all realistic when students or recent grads are being hired as unpaid interns.

The Test For Unpaid Interns
    There are some circumstances under which individuals who participate in “for-profit” private sector internships or training programs may do so without compensation. The Supreme Court has held that the term "suffer or permit to work" cannot be interpreted so as to make a person whose work serves only his or her own interest an employee of another who provides aid or instruction. This may apply to interns who receive training for their own educational benefit if the training meets certain criteria. The determination of whether an internship or training program meets this exclusion depends upon all of the facts and circumstances of each such program.

The following six criteria must be applied when making this determination:

The internship, even though it includes actual operation of the facilities of the employer, is similar to training which would be given in an educational environment;
    The internship experience is for the benefit of the intern;
    The intern does not displace regular employees, but works under close supervision of existing staff;
    The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern; and on occasion its operations may actually be impeded;
    The intern is not necessarily entitled to a job at the conclusion of the internship; and
    The employer and the intern understand that the intern is not entitled to wages for the time spent in the internship.

Unprofessional

I worked at Blink Music as an intern

Pros

- Could be alright for anyone still in school, and for anyone who simply needs something on their resume
    - Located in a nice area

Cons

- Unprofessional
    - Six months unpaid? Get real.

I'd advise anyone to check out the other negative reviews of this company. There is a reason why they are marked as helpful.

I would like to share my experience here:

So I was officially hired as an intern. However, days before my starting date, I was told that I needed to be interviewed again. Why? Because one of the guys who interviewed me left the company. Does that make sense? Is that right? Tim already gave me a starting date.

I spent so much time and money trying to get established in the area, and then suddenly I needed to be re-evaluated to be considered for the position. I was told to send in samples of my portfolio. I didn't bother. I'd rather not work with someone who can be that disrespectful towards me. Besides, I directly handed Tim my portfolio during my interview.

My advice towards management? Understand that some people, like me, will come a long way simply for an opportunity. Don't be disrespectful.

My advice for anyone considering working here? Make solid judgements and trust your instincts. If I had, I wouldn't have pursued this any longer.

Amazing Summer Experience

Former Employee - Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Blink Music part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Blink Music Studios is only on its way up. I started working for Blink this past summer, and let me tell you, you can get out of it, every and anything that you want. I put in a much effort and it really did pay off. For anyone who has not enjoyed their experience working at Blink, they must not have had proper expectations for this type of internship. Through working at Blink, employees can gain experience in essentially any field they wish. The audio production aspect of the studio is great. State of the art products and technology are amazing for any customer who may want lessons or products from Blink.

Work hours are very flexible, and work intentions can be modified based on what you are comfortable with or good at.

Cons

More intern organization would be necessary.
    More tasks should be clearer for employees.

Tim is an incredibly talented and motivated manager of Blink. He is admirably passionate for the work he does. He may seem to beat to his own drum often, but I found this was motivating in working there. You have to give Blink your all if you're serious about working in music, and it WILL pay off greatly.

A Great experience, very professional atmosphere

Current Employee - Freelance Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Freelance Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Blink Music as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

High end quality hardware, very professional and a nicely organized environment.
    Here even the most qualified engineer can improve

Cons

If your looking for a stable position with no new challenges this would be a con. Blink is constantly evolving with enhancements in all aspects from quality to hardware and software. Standards here calls for one to stay sharp, current and creative. Every client calls for our most outstanding work.

High end equipment and high attrition rates

Former Employee - Unpaid Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Unpaid Intern in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Blink Music as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good arsenal of high-end audio equipment that you might be allowed to use for your own personal work, granted you know how to use them. Access to great software on fast computers, and your co-interns are a friendly, upbeat, great batch of young people. Not a bad place to connect with fellow musicians with similar aspirations.

Cons

While quite well-off and in possession of great hardware, Blink Music has no signed clients, no clients on the charts, and no successful albums out there with the producer's name on them. The clientele consists of wealthy but musically unsuccessful people, and the business focuses more on charging for use of the excellent hardware versus providing musical value to the client. Virtually all of Blink's "staff" are unpaid interns who get no training and are used for the skills they already have, serving to add to the company's value but receiving little in return. As an intern, you will not learn anything musical or anything you couldn't find out on Google, and you will probably end up doing "marketing" gruntwork (aka flyering), housemaid work, or tedious scoring that requires little to no creativity.

Your concept of a "team" is selfish and one-sided, not to mention illegal. Your turnover rate is the highest I've seen in any studio and you are left short-staffed on talent, because musicians with real talent will quickly realize you add no value to them and are simply trying to take advantage. Hence they leave. If you focus on giving back to your interns rather than just taking advantage of what they can provide to you, you will form a true team that you can retain.

Five star studio, perfectionists

Former Employee - Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Blink Music full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Five star studio, fast payment, excellent place to learn. Perfectionists.

Cons

Five star studio, chronic perfectionists. This can be a pain in the neck if you are not fully awake, friendly and alert. A lot is expected, Tim can get irritated and is not afraid to let people go, he has done that at times, worked alone rather than letting if the work quality get compromised. Blink needs flexible people that are quick. Pay is not super but ok. Had lots of satisfaction, engineered some of my best work at Blink. Results shine.

Thanks for asking me to post my experience here. It's really pathetic, to see the message from an unpaid intern who was let go after a week of snottyness (thanks for sharing his story, still laughing..) Tim, Blink: Ignore the idiots, get your name out, invest in branding. Screen interns even more (see reviews from fired interns on this message board here), have them work in studios in NYC or LA before accepting them.

Stagnant business model, Little to no training, doing employee-level work as an intern

Former Employee - Unpaid Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Unpaid Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Blink Music as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

If you like free rein, and if you like an endless supply of almonds to get you through an otherwise bleak and unproductive day.

Cons

ONE paid member of staff ONLY (The president), Everyone else is an intern.
    Many sessions and lessons etc manned purely by unpaid interns.
    Very little training + president is overbearing and temperamental.
    Extremely high intern/employee turnover rate (1 week was the quickest i'd seen)
    Unpaid interns independently (often) doing work that directly brings the company profit - e.g. someone pays for studio time and only unpaid interns are present to record, edit, program and produce the session.

Given that your studio isn't considerably successful and works with mostly small-time clients, you should listen when your unpaid workers are discontent and ACTUALLY change.

Tough standards, excellent results.

Current Employee - Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Blink Music

Pros

Working at Blink Music is demanding, musically very rewarding as every team member of the company is working their behind off to earn and enhance the leadership position of solo artist production, vocal and piano productions. Long hours are not uncommon in the music business. The place is medium sized and packed with top notch technology, it's increasingly attracting the best in the field. I started as an intern and it was actually very hard to get in. It's also easy to get kicked out if you don't perform or lack integrity.

Cons

none if you are talented, have great work ethics and work hard. Payment is appropriate but not luxurious. If you like the challenge, this is a great place.

Finish the training manual soon. Streamline the communication process and communicate production schedule more ahead of time. Keep the spirit the way it is, though!

Not worth your time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Blink Music

Pros

Hires many unpaid interns, somewhat easy to get your foot in the door, values your honest feedback, respects your opinion

Cons

Unfair compensation, not a realistic company for potential growth, not much innovation for success, high employee turnaround rate, lacks creative ingenuity

Work on building a team of dedicated salaried employees to grow your company, focus on more realistic short term goals to reach long term success

Blink Music Photos

Studio A piano and drum booth behind

+ Add Photo