Blink Music

Add Photos

Tim Bruhns

Summer Intern at Blink

Unpaid Summer (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsMany opportunities for various divisions of Blink, Real world intern/work experience, Close to Central Square, Coworkers are passionate about the music industry

ConsOnly unpaid internships available at this time, When there isn't anything to do interns go out to hang up flyers, social media sites are lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore events to showcase products and services. Also, use the social media sites that you have created, a lot of people looking for internships will use social media sites to verify information.

Amazing Summer Experience

Intern (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsBlink Music Studios is only on its way up. I started working for Blink this past summer, and let me tell you, you can get out of it, every and anything that you want. I put in a much effort and it really did pay off. For anyone who has not enjoyed their experience working at Blink, they must not have had proper expectations for this type of internship. Through working at Blink, employees can gain experience in essentially any field they wish. The audio production aspect of the studio is great. State of the art products and technology are amazing for any customer who may want lessons or products from Blink.

Work hours are very flexible, and work intentions can be modified based on what you are comfortable with or good at.

ConsMore intern organization would be necessary.
    More tasks should be clearer for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTim is an incredibly talented and motivated manager of Blink. He is admirably passionate for the work he does. He may seem to beat to his own drum often, but I found this was motivating in working there. You have to give Blink your all if you're serious about working in music, and it WILL pay off greatly.

A Great experience, very professional atmosphere

Freelance Engineer (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsHigh end quality hardware, very professional and a nicely organized environment.
    Here even the most qualified engineer can improve

ConsIf your looking for a stable position with no new challenges this would be a con. Blink is constantly evolving with enhancements in all aspects from quality to hardware and software. Standards here calls for one to stay sharp, current and creative. Every client calls for our most outstanding work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Five star studio, perfectionists

Engineer (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsFive star studio, fast payment, excellent place to learn. Perfectionists.

ConsFive star studio, chronic perfectionists. This can be a pain in the neck if you are not fully awake, friendly and alert. A lot is expected, Tim can get irritated and is not afraid to let people go, he has done that at times, worked alone rather than letting if the work quality get compromised. Blink needs flexible people that are quick. Pay is not super but ok. Had lots of satisfaction, engineered some of my best work at Blink. Results shine.

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for asking me to post my experience here. It's really pathetic, to see the message from an unpaid intern who was let go after a week of snottyness (thanks for sharing his story, still laughing..) Tim, Blink: Ignore the idiots, get your name out, invest in branding. Screen interns even more (see reviews from fired interns on this message board here), have them work in studios in NYC or LA before accepting them.

High end equipment and high attrition rates

Unpaid Intern (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsGood arsenal of high-end audio equipment that you might be allowed to use for your own personal work, granted you know how to use them. Access to great software on fast computers, and your co-interns are a friendly, upbeat, great batch of young people. Not a bad place to connect with fellow musicians with similar aspirations.

ConsWhile quite well-off and in possession of great hardware, Blink Music has no signed clients, no clients on the charts, and no successful albums out there with the producer's name on them. The clientele consists of wealthy but musically unsuccessful people, and the business focuses more on charging for use of the excellent hardware versus providing musical value to the client. Virtually all of Blink's "staff" are unpaid interns who get no training and are used for the skills they already have, serving to add to the company's value but receiving little in return. As an intern, you will not learn anything musical or anything you couldn't find out on Google, and you will probably end up doing "marketing" gruntwork (aka flyering), housemaid work, or tedious scoring that requires little to no creativity.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour concept of a "team" is selfish and one-sided, not to mention illegal. Your turnover rate is the highest I've seen in any studio and you are left short-staffed on talent, because musicians with real talent will quickly realize you add no value to them and are simply trying to take advantage. Hence they leave. If you focus on giving back to your interns rather than just taking advantage of what they can provide to you, you will form a true team that you can retain.

Stagnant business model, Little to no training, doing employee-level work as an intern

Unpaid Intern (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsIf you like free rein, and if you like an endless supply of almonds to get you through an otherwise bleak and unproductive day.

ConsONE paid member of staff ONLY (The president), Everyone else is an intern.
    Many sessions and lessons etc manned purely by unpaid interns.
    Very little training + president is overbearing and temperamental.
    Extremely high intern/employee turnover rate (1 week was the quickest i'd seen)
    Unpaid interns independently (often) doing work that directly brings the company profit - e.g. someone pays for studio time and only unpaid interns are present to record, edit, program and produce the session.

Advice to Senior ManagementGiven that your studio isn't considerably successful and works with mostly small-time clients, you should listen when your unpaid workers are discontent and ACTUALLY change.

Tough standards, excellent results.

Engineer (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsWorking at Blink Music is demanding, musically very rewarding as every team member of the company is working their behind off to earn and enhance the leadership position of solo artist production, vocal and piano productions. Long hours are not uncommon in the music business. The place is medium sized and packed with top notch technology, it's increasingly attracting the best in the field. I started as an intern and it was actually very hard to get in. It's also easy to get kicked out if you don't perform or lack integrity.

Consnone if you are talented, have great work ethics and work hard. Payment is appropriate but not luxurious. If you like the challenge, this is a great place.

Advice to Senior ManagementFinish the training manual soon. Streamline the communication process and communicate production schedule more ahead of time. Keep the spirit the way it is, though!

Not worth your time

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsHires many unpaid interns, somewhat easy to get your foot in the door, values your honest feedback, respects your opinion

ConsUnfair compensation, not a realistic company for potential growth, not much innovation for success, high employee turnaround rate, lacks creative ingenuity

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on building a team of dedicated salaried employees to grow your company, focus on more realistic short term goals to reach long term success

All Work, No Gain

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Access to high quality hardware and clean work environment

Cons- Learned more about eating healthy than music as an intern
    - Interns are unpaid, and studio is essentially run by interns
    - President, Tim often goes out biking and/or running instead of helping interns do work
    - Clients are wealthy but musically unsuccessful

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in interns. You high turnover rate is no surprise. Studio is very superficial and has very little daily creativity. You have all this high end equipment that interns aren't even trained to use. Equipment would be put to much better use if used by a company who cared more. There are many more productive studios around with worse equipment than you. It's a little sad, to be honest.

Needs a clear set of goals and a core team...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBlink has lots of high end equipment, and the facility itself is beautiful, albeit a bit small.

ConsInterns don't receive proper training, and are expected to know how to use the equipment when the client shows up. Obviously this never works the way it's supposed to, and it's an embarrassment for everyone. Tim Lukas, the owner of Blink Music needs to form a PAID core team. Many interns are not paid, and are often overworked. Salaries start at $500/month, which is very disappointing. The company needs to focus on forming a realistic set of goals. It's a cool place to work, but once you get past the initial high end gear shock, it's awful.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a core team and pay them. Happy workers = productivity.

Worked for Blink Music? Contribute to the Community!