Bliss (spa) Reviews

Updated April 7, 2015
22 reviews filtered by
2.7
Richard Dantas

1. I love Bliss! Great people, awesome products, Jennie is my favorite esty!

Former Employee - Massage Therapist in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Massage Therapist in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Bliss (spa)

Pros

Great pay, amazing ambiance, best music of any spa

Cons

None, Bliss is perfect, I recommend all of their products and services. Cons: small spa. I wish it was a bigger place.

Advice to Management

I love Stephanie, she is fun, great to work for, and such positive energy.

2. Perfect example of a wonderful company that was destroyed when it went corporate and grew too fast

Former Employee - Esthetician
    Former Employee - Esthetician

I worked at Bliss (spa) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The treatments are effective, some products are good

Cons

There is no model for management. What was once a generous and inspiring company was overcome by corporate greed. The product line that was the amazing creation of the founder, Marcia Kilgore, has been destroyed and cheapened. The company I started with in 2005 was unrecognizable by 2011. Illegal employment practices resulted in a class action in 2013.

Advice to Management

There would have to be stable management to give them advice. In the two years my spa was open we went through 4 managers.

3. Manager

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Bliss (spa) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great discount some amazing leaders n serious skin care therapists- u hope for the best and watch it all slip away

Cons

Lack of caring- started in co before Steiner amazing- since Steiner co has gone to hell- went from a company of beauty n partnership of spa managers n corporate trainings to 100 phone calls n a thousand emails and spas falling apart

Advice to Management

Realize the potential of ur team/ hire qualified managers n qualified therapists - you have to wonder what ur doing wrong when the entire management team leaves to pursue better opportunities within weeks of each other

5. Fly by the seat of your pants planning. Erratic decision making, no consistency. Very high turnover.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bliss, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bliss, NY

I have been working at Bliss (spa)

Pros

Decent salary and benefits even if on the lower end of the pay scale. Opportunities to work on high profile projects.

Cons

Very understaffed, poor morale. No opportunity to move up or develop a career. Burnout is high. People leaving seen as an opportunity to replace with cheaper, junior level staff, who are given projects they are unequipped to manage effectively. No resources or support givEn to ensure projects' successes.

Advice to Management

Allow executives and staff to develop projects and processes over a decent span of time instead of the hasty and herky-jerky way things have been moving, leading projects to be done over and over. Seems to waste time and money. Retain your talent and stop the revolving door by trusting and recognizing staff efforts.

Sinking ship

Former Employee - Corporate Office in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Corporate Office in New York, NY

I worked at Bliss (spa) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The good thing is that everyone checks out at 5 pm. Work life balance. No one cares...

Cons

Corporate offices: Please do not leave your current job to work here. This is a sinking ship.
    Field: You run your business so it's ok but don't expect a bonus.
    Spa: Spa's are still chugging along and people genuinely run their spa's independently when they can.
    40% of the employees are contracted so that they do not have to pay insurance and can hire/fire as they need to based on where they are financially.

40% of their employees have been with the company less than 1 year and continues to be a revolving door.

20% of the employees have been working here since the origins and have no desire to make the company better. It's ran like a start up which would normally mean opportunity but there is none.

Benefits are no good and they do not pay all and have bad corporate citizenship.
    This place is managed by a President/CEO that puts his ego first and all teams suffer due to this.
    The way the retail and spa business is ran is not sustainable. Decisions are being made only to satisfy monthly revenue growth without looking at the long term effects. (Prez needs to bonus and make share holders happy.)
    The president has a very bad reputation in the industry, just ask around.

The people who do work at Bliss are smart and motivated but are held back and eventually leave.
    It is sad to see what has become of this very popular, fun spa brand. I'm sure you will be able to purchase at your local convenience store anytime now.

Advice to Management

Steiner Leisure- Might want to re-look at the business plan.
    CEO- Let your people manage and make smart decisions based on the business, not the ego.

7. Finding your true bliss is in the clouds...

I worked at Bliss (spa) (More than 5 years)

Pros

The daily exposure to fabulous products and truly exceptional therapist.

Cons

highly underpaid, dyer team morale due to commision cuts, and no room for growth.

8. Bliss and Blissworld, Llc. is the reason I had the initial inspiration, at the age of 13, to become an Esthetician.

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Bliss (spa) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Bliss has their own "Bliss Way" of doing things, which creates a cheerful, yet super-motivated atmosphere. It isn't a job; it is a career from the very beginning, at the bottom rung of the ladder, and each person is part of a family. It would be impossible not to love working here! There is extreme room for growth within the company, and the motivation gravitates you to be a determined, hard-working employee; it hardly feels like work. The benefits are also amazing!

Cons

I began working for the company on the West Coast in late 2003, when they were undergoing a major transformation in ownership which would bring (and I can see now how Bliss has flourished in endless ways) indefinite opportunities to move around to different fields/areas of the company and find your 'perfect fit,' as well as immense desire for growth due to the excellent leadership and management creating opportunities that are literally privileges. The sky's the limit!

Advice to Management

Since I have left, I cannot speak for the changes and/or improvements that have been made; however, when I was one of the few "veterans" working on the West Coast when no Bliss Spa existed within thousands of miles from here, our main way of communication was through the internet with the Human Resources, General, and Global Managers mainly out of their headquarters in New York, but in London as well. I would say to the management, that possibly they might consider a more thorough means of communication. Yes, this was before social media really hit it hard, but still, we used email instead of phone calls, and sometimes it's much nicer getting to know who you are working with, especially if it's across the country. I think in all of eight years, I had maybe two phone calls with Corporate Management, and forget about Skype! I DID meet two of the managers in person, that was a lucky chance; they called me in for and interview the exact weekend I just so HAPPENED to be headed to New York City with my then-boyfriend (now ex-husband). It was a good thing we started out on terms of having a face to pair with a name.
    However, I mustn't forget to give credit to my local Account Executive, whom I was very close with and did events with all the time, speaking several times a week on the phone. But when I had a question or needed an update on the current status of Bliss's up-and-coming groundbreaking spa (The first spa on the West Coast) inside the W Hotel in Westwood, Los Angeles, CA.
     Unfortunately, even my AE was not often able to answer any questions, because even SHE wasn't even able to connect with the corporate office as much as she should have been able to. There never should have been any unanswered questions. On the other hand, that WAS before the Bliss Spas had expanded, and our division was sort of the 'guinea pig' for the major changes occurring within the new development of the company as a whole. Since then, there have been so many changes, that I cannot speak on behalf of how their communication is with their employees is now; in fact, if I still know Bliss, I'm positive that any issues they may have had were simply temporary and have been taken care of a long time ago.
    I would most definitely recommend working for this company, in any division, and I would very much feel privileged to have the opportunity to be hired on with Bliss again in the near future, and continue the growth of my career!

I learned a lot of what not to do

Former Employee - Corporate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Corporate in New York, NY

I worked at Bliss (spa) full-time

Pros

a lot of new employees that are smart and eager to make a difference. great team

Cons

everyone is doing the job of at least 2 people. they bring in a lot of temps and never hire them permanently so there's a good amount of turnover and they don't seem to notice how much the rotating door of employees hurts the rest of the team.

Advice to Management

make a decision and see it through.

Mediocre job, terrible company

Current Employee - Concierge
    Current Employee - Concierge

I have been working at Bliss (spa) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product discount, amazing coworkers, laid back, not too stressful environment, good work/life balance.

Cons

No more product commission; new retail bonus structure is a joke, and sometimes corporate forgets to add your bonus to your check! Upper management only cares about making money, not what's going on with everyone below. Management never disciplines when necessary so people think they can get away with anything.

Advice to Management

Discipline when necessary so the bad seeds don't continuously get away with things. Be more mindful of the lower people doing all the dirty work making you money, treat us better! Offer raises or other incentives to those who actually work.

11. Bliss

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Bliss (spa) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone loves Bliss. They have nice products and carry great 3rd part lines online and in Spa locations. Because it is so famous in NYC people recognize the name are excited you work there. Plus, 65% off Bliss products!

Cons

Poor leadership that concentrates more on controlling the Call Center than improving it. Not much space (if any at all) for career advancement.

Advice to Management

Consider looking into remodeling the Call Center and allowing employees to work from home again!