Blitz (California) Reviews

Ivan Todorov

1. BLITZ is awesome

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Blitz (California) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a software engineer working at BLITZ, there was nary a day that went by that I didn't have some new kind of challenge thrown at me. Everything from learning new languages and frameworks to mastering the BLITZ stack, I learned more working at BLITZ than I would from any 4 year university program.

Beyond that, my team was supremely cool. All of the engineers and creative people that I worked with at BLITZ made it an absolute joy. I made more friends there than I have anywhere else. They made me feel like I was part of a family, and always kept me on my toes.

Ultimately, my life and work at BLITZ prepared me for a huge career stepping stone and I will always be eternally grateful to receive such an amazing opportunity for growth.

Cons

Some of the program managers are really annoying. There was one person that would call / text / slack me 24/7 asking about statues updates, etc. I finally started ignoring that person, and that seemed to help.

Sometimes we would pull some crazy all nighters.. That sort of comes with the territory, but I'm just glad it didn't happen that often... It is an agency after all.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing the same.. The only thing I could suggest would be to really observe the dynamic between PM to programmer, and try to catch problems before they begin to snowball.

They have a great talent, great clients, but money trumps quality in a few instances

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Blitz (California) full-time

Pros

great work life balance, some departments are better than others Creative/UX is strong. Free breakfast on Friday's! Great location, very close to the beach. Lots of lunch options.

Cons

It's not political but project management and account aren't as strong which makes it hard for doing great work. Seems like upper management is very focused on profits which cuts into the ability to do quality, innovative work.

Advice to Management

Consider giving the talent more opportunity to do great work without the difficult budget constraints, don't always cave to the client. You have a lot of great ideas getting axed because the client is thinking from the wrong perspectives.

Hands down one of the best agencies to work for/with

Current Employee - Business Development Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Blitz (California) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic work by amazing people. I couldn't have asked for a better experience. The executive leadership were always generous with their time and allowed me to contribute wherever I could. The culture feels like a family unit and everyone is extremely friendly. The operations team throws fun events for the agency and does a great job of taking care of everybody.

Cons

It's honestly a sink or swim environment and only the strong survive. You have to create your own opportunities and not expect someone to lay it all out for you. BLITZ can be a very rewarding environment as long as you do great work and embody the core values of being- Humble, Hungry, Smart.

Really? These recent reviews are laughable.

I have been working at Blitz (California) full-time

Pros

You get a paycheck for working your 60+ hours a week.

Cons

The CEO. As numerous other reviews point out, everyone in the company views the CEO as dead weight with zero leadership or talent. Awkward personality, no people skills, and provides no worthwhile contribution to the agency. Likes to play up the CEO angle to try and socialize with female employees.

Don't trust anything that the management team tells you. They'll quickly throw you under the bus whenever possible.

Advice to Management

Stop having your interns and business development team write up positive reviews on here. It's misleading to people who want an honest look at the company.

For anyone who's looking at these reviews because you're thinking about working here, don't.

Hey there,

The recent positive reviews are a reflection of the work we as a leadership team are getting done. This sometimes means making moves that end up as negative reviews on Glassdoor
    ... More

Great place to work

Former Employee - Business Development in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Blitz (California) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong Leadership, Good culture, quality work

Cons

be more selective over pitches

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

May 30, 2015CEO

Thank you, sir, or lady.

Ego driven leaders cause way more problems then they're worth

I have been working at Blitz (California)

Pros

The office is on the promenade and you can walk to the ocean.

Cons

There are other reviews that point out the poor client services and lack of leadership from the CEO and I agree. I don't think there's anyone who would argue against that.

The last year this place has really fallen apart. Lots of bad decisions and projects that are led by executives with C and Strategy titles who run around creating unnecessary work to try and justify their role. It's beyond aggravating because they don't provide any value to the clients or the team they're supposed to be helping. It should be a giant warning when the person who claims to be building the strategy doesn't feel that they need to explain what they're doing to anyone on the team who asks.

All that leads up to a lot of unnecessary ego from people with overinflated titles and a delusional sense of their value and talent.

Advice to Management

You're not nearly as good as you think you are. There's a reason nobody sticks around this place.

May 29, 2015CEO

I’d agree with you that around the time of your post we as a management team did not communicate clearly why we were expanding our capabilities and evolving our positioning. Since, late last year, we ... More

I learned a lot but wish it'd been more positive than it was depressing.

I worked at Blitz (California)

Pros

Awesome website / social media updates; sell their biz well

Know how to get eyeballs -- pitches included. Sky's the limit!

Leadership works insane hours, too

impressive employee talent

impressive employee turnover

Gratifying feeling of graduating from "Crappy Agency Experience School" when you leave

Cons

website/social media "image" is faker than a Kardashian

sad employees / sad, quiet, scared vibe

leadership willingly ignores the previous; lack of attention towards employees' work/life balance

loses clients when creatively-based, unfounded pitch promises don't deliver

sketchy finance practices; no HR department

inability to fulfill the beautiful dream they make you believe in

Advice to Management

Read the reviews.

Apr 13, 2015Sr. Director, Operations

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. Employee morale is a top priority for the leadership and operations teams and we've already made many improvements since your post a year ago ... More

Great experience

I worked at Blitz (California)

Pros

Get to work with latest technologies and platforms, great creative department, fun clients.

Cons

Hours are long, expect to stay really late when deadlines creep up. Seems like upper management over promises on scope.

Advice to Management

Be realistic with what you can and cant do with timelines. It always ends up biting you in the end.

Toxic environment

I have been working at Blitz (California) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

opportunity to work with great talent, although most recognize their talent is hindered by ridiculous parameters imposed by client services

Cons

Where to start?! I agree with previous reviews. there's a few paranoid people there that make progress impossible. Client services are a mess. they over promise without consulting with the people actually doing the work.

May 30, 2015CEO

Hey there, please see my July 9 and Nov 26 2014 responses.

Depressing place to work with a bad culture and extremely poor agency leadership

I have been working at Blitz (California) full-time

Pros

The user experience and creative teams are great and it's a good spot to build up a portfolio and work on big clients before you leave.

Cons

Very Toxic culture and environment that burns out employees and takes the fun out of the job.
    Client services team gets in peoples way and is more of a roadblock then an asset to internal departments.
    CEO isn't respected from staff and doesn't motivate teams and is usually locked in his office all day.
    Departments are given extra internal work from executives that interferes with getting client work done. This leads to people consistently working after hours to try to meet deadlines.
    Finance tries to use intimidation tactics when approached about any money issues and makes excuses whenever checks are late or incorrect.

Advice to Management

Executives need to work harder to prove their worth with employees and that they're an asset instead of an obstacle. There are better shops out there that do just as good of work who don't beat employees into the ground.

May 29, 2015CEO

Hi, there – and thanks for the feedback. It is true, in 2013 we had several instances where a few BLITiZens had put in significant overtime during pitch season, typical in our agency world. The other ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed