Blizzard Entertainment Reviews

Reset
4.1
Blizzard Entertainment President & CEO Mike Morhaime
Mike Morhaime

Pros
  • Awesome work environment, great people (in 19 reviews)

• Free games and free subscriptions (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is lower for customer service unless you count bonuses which are not guaranteed (in 15 reviews)

• Substandard Industry pay in a high cost of living area (in 6 reviews)

1. Great job

Current Employee - Senior Technical Artist I in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Artist I in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing talent that pushes you to be better.
    Really low ego from the best developers in the world.
    Company really takes care of its employees.
    Benefits are competitive.
    Company really takes care of its culture.

Cons

It's hard to progress in your career. Jobs rarely open up and advancement takes a very long time.

Leadership positions are open very rarely and they go to people who are part of the "in" crowd.

Living in Irvine is really expensive.

You have to love what you do.

Current Employee - Compatibility Analyst III in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Compatibility Analyst III in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

You get to work with some really talented people. Most of the people who work here do so because they love Blizzard games.

Cons

You do not get payed very well and you are expected to perform well above your job description. Management likes to throw around the phrase "If you don't like it here then quit, there are thousands of others that can replace you." which does not lead to a very good work environment.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like your employees are these replaceable pieces on a game board.

Game Master

Former Employee - Game Master in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Game Master in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, relaxed environment with mostly great people.
    Perks were great, as were bonuses.
    Company is very visible with it's data and mission.
    Mike Morhaime is a great guy who "gets" the employees, it just doesn't "trickle down".
    Great health benefits.

Cons

You get to do more work over time for the same pay, or a (very) small increase.
    It's not what you know, but who you know. They will bring in outsiders from another company en masse, and even create jobs for them, if they like the person (I experienced this with my own eyes.)
    If you are a GM aka "peon", you aren't worth the time or money to help you stay at the company when things get rough.
    Low end of the pay scale when it comes to the work. I get paid a lot more doing a lot less now.

Advice to Management

Think about the "little guy" more. I was done wrong, and it was a mix of responsible parties, but Blizzard was a part of it. I would have stayed, given the chance.

Production

Former Employee - Production in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Production in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

1. Family Type environment, it feels like a small family. And that's what can get you to stay a long time.
    2. Big events, perks are somewhat generous.
    3. Better inter department career growth now.
    4. Amazing company if you are a 20 something with no family and just want to spend 80 hours a week during crunch time at work.

Cons

1. Lack of career direction outside of a department. And if you do get movement, you will only get a 10% increase when someone can come from outside the company and make way more than you. And you are expected to love it since you owe them for promoting you.
    2. Pay is generally crap at the lower end of things, and you get responses from Executives that bonuses are to offset getting paid low. But then reminded in the same breath they are not guaranteed at the same time.
    3. No balance of work/home life at all. There were times I worked 120 hours in a week literally only sleeping at home.

Advice to Management

I do believe that Morhaime does care about the people and want's the best for them. But I never got that feeling from people like Frank Pearce or some of the other executives. There are a lot of good people here, and good management. Inter Department Managers are there for you and generally will fight to help you succeed.

Going to hell in a handbasket

Current Employee - Assistant Designer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Designer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone thinks you're cool
    Upper management is amongst the highest paid employees in the entire country.

Cons

Badly underpaid for everyone that isn't C-level.
    Nepotism is rampant
    Career growth is non-existent and managers will lie to your face and contradict themselves in the same conversation.
    Micromanaging corporate machinations
    Concerns over money > everything > integrity
    Management protecting themselves with fortresses of paperwork and creating parliamentary bureaucratic systems to justify their continued overpaid existence.
    'Untouchable' employees that are immune to their own incompetence, making everyone else's life a living hell.

Advice to Management

Pay the rest of your employees a fair wage
    Hold management accountable
    Fire the 'untouchable' employees that are incompetent

Embrace Your Inner Geek!

Current Employee - Community Specialist in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Community Specialist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture here is unmatched. You spend your whole life with people tolerating your passion for your work and area of expertise, but Blizzard doesn't just tolerate - it encourages, values, and leverages it. Leaders like Mike and Frank have created a great environment and maintained it despite staggering growth. Great balance of having fun together, but taking what we do seriously. Anyone can speak up if something is not right or could be better. You get to know your teammates like family, and at the end of the day can be proud that you were allowed to do whatever it is that you do best. And whatever that is contributed to making great games or serving a kickass player community. Most employees here are pretty self-directed and the environment is super casual. The place is huge, so it's hard to know everyone, but you always feel like you know someone right away when you actually do meet. Everyone has a lot of common ground here.

Cons

Games industry begs some tough hours sometimes. It's managed a lot better than other studios, and Leads take a very pragmatic approach which is nice. It can be tough to get the resources you need quickly sometimes - there are so many ideas on the table at any one time. Exciting but challenging. The area cost of living is high.

Advice to Management

Let us be a bit more nimble in securing resources for support teams - doesn't matter how great the game is, it's tough when headquarters team is struggling to get what we need to engage the community. We want to do so much more than we're currently doing, it just takes a while to get the resources (people or software) we need to pull it off.

8. Great place to work!

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Infectious company culture
    Supportive, creative, and passionate employees
    Healthy work/life balance
    Great onsite amenities, perks, and benefits
    Ample career growth opportunities

Cons

Base salary is on the lower side, but total compensation/benefits are very fair

Advice to Management

Continue to innovate. Don't stay set in old ways.

9. Amazing company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture, environment and passion for games

Cons

Compensation could be slightly better

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

10. Great place to work and be surrounded by passionate people with a common interest.

Current Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People, people, and the people. Everyone loves the product and wants to contribute to making great games. The company continues to innovate great products that keep the customers engaged.

Cons

Management seems to be changing constantly with new reorgs, team adjustments, and space shuffling. It can be difficult to maintain continuity and build a team when things shift so rapidly.

Advice to Management

Keep coming up with new ways to maintain the amazing customer base. Nothing speaks better to the world than great games. For employees, let people get settled and give them time to hit a working groove. I'm all for the "Fail fast and often" philosophy but you need time for success as well.

Awesome place to work!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Blizzard community is very unique. We are filled with fun, smart, passionate people who care about what we do and the impact we have on our players. The work life balance is amazing - our family has families of their own that we care about. We have celebrations for releases of new games and expansions which involve a champagne shower! In addition, we are taking the entire company to Vegas in March to have a party celebrating all our wins for 2014. The benefits are extremely rich. Health/dental/vision/pet/Autism insurances are available, 401K w/a 20% matching and MUCH MUCH more! First year employees get a total of 5 1/2 weeks off (vacation/sick time/holidays/Christmas Break) and goes up a week the beginning of your 2nd year. Blizzard employees stay a LONG time! Our service awards are unbelievable. At 5 years you get a sword (yes it is real1), ten years you get a shield and twenty years a crown. We set you up for battle!!! The values of the company match my personal values which is huge!

Cons

Compensation is very competitive however, the structure of the comp plan is unlike a typical comp plan. Base + profit sharing + bonuses. It can challenge your annual budget plan, just needs to be more creative!

Advice to Management

Continue giving feedback - both good and constructive. We all want to know that we are great or if we have areas that we can grow.

RSS Feed </> Embed