Blizzard Entertainment

Blizzard Entertainment Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Blizzard Entertainment President & CEO Mike Morhaime

Mike Morhaime

Pros:
  • "Blizzard has a really relaxed work environment based around the culture of the games they produce"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Laid back company, profit sharing, free games, company gifts, good benefits"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Pay is lower for customer service unless you count bonuses which are not guaranteed"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Work/Life balance is practically non-existent"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good but not great.

Quality Assurance (Current Employee)
    Irvine, CA

ProsGreat environment and amazing people.

ConsYou can feel taken advantage of if you have skill sets outside of your job. You are asked to fill roles until someone else is hired to do so. Opportunities not always awarded fairly.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the talent and desire to grow within and reward it.

Blizzard

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Irvine, CA

ProsLost of career opportunities if one works hard and looks for ways to be pro-active in their current position.

ConsCompensation can seem a little bit lower than other companies but the overall lifestyle and benefits make up for it.

Life is good

Irvine, CA

ProsSalary is more or less the average for the industry. Perks are pretty good. Volleyball court, nice cafeteria, gym and more. There are plenty of career opportunities and growth.

ConsDepending on the team, leadership can go from pretty good to average. The high cost of living in Southern California doesn't help when your salary is industry average or less.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Expensive to live but worth it.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Irvine, CA

ProsYou get to have fun. and it really is because you are developing the games people know and love.

ConsChallenges are living up to the expectation of everyone who plays your games which is a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at newcomers as a genius in the making.

Good, but not great.

Producer (Current Employee)
    Irvine, CA

Pros- very creative environment
    - amazing talent to work with
    - laidback and casual atmosphere
    - make amazing games

Cons- Promotions not always rewarded fairly.
    - More political than Congress.
    - HR useless and untrustworthy.
    - A very slow and incompetent hiring process

Advice to Senior ManagementLet go of this "boys club" mentality, and start actually holding people (Senior Management) responsible for their failings.

Already reached its peak back in 2007, but still remains arrogant.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLaid back work environment.
    Some decent co-workers.
    Great weather in Irvine.
    Name recognition.

ConsExtremely incompetent management with "old boys" executive staff with some really shady characters.
    Even more useless HR.
    Influx of new corporate employees that destroyed the fun game studio atmosphere.
    Very inefficient.
    Politics on a ridiculous level both domestic and international. If you ever want to see directors and above get into drunken fights during management training, this is where it happens.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, because they just don't care.

A company that used to care about gamers.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe best thing about Blizzard were that people that actually created. I spent most of my time interacting with different game development teams and QA. For the most part the low and mid level personnel were extremely passionate and dedicated to making a quality product.

Allowed QA to set a very high standard (at least when related to bugs and crashes).

ConsI saw the downhill slide occur first hand during development of Starcraft II. People in a leadership role on that project and battle.net slowly eroded all of the good will Blizzard had built up over 15 years of previous battle.net functionality.

Removing LAN plan, removing chat rooms, facebook integration - these are all things that no game anywhere wanted. The pushback internal on this was monstrous, yet it was wholly ignored. The results speak for themselves. Battle.net is an afterthought and SC2 is just another game that some people occasionally play.

This behavior of making decisions contrary to the best interests of the gamer/customer for short term profits also bled into the Development of Diablo 3. The auction house was lauded internally as a complete disaster, yet higher ups pushed ahead and the disastrous results are all too clear. Some change has been made (2 years later) to close it down, but the damage done is obvious.

In the late 90's and early 2000's the only games I played were Blizzard games. Warcraft 2, Starcraft, Diablo 2, Warcraft 3. I haven't played a Blizzard game regularly since 2010.

The Blizzard that most of us knew, admired, and wanted to be a part of is long gone.

If you work for the company now, you will work long hours with great people for substandard pay on products that you won't play. Work at your own risk.

Advice to Senior ManagementOvertime is a way of life is archaic and backwards. Games can be made in a more efficient manner. The huge ego's that spout "design is king" and "that's how we've always done it" are routes to insolvency.

The most important thing that needs to change for Blizzard to turn things around is to make the customers needs/wants the highest priority. Adding features/changes that improve the gamer's experience could set them on the right path.

In my opinion the entire company needs to be gutted and reformed. All of the extraneous middle management and bloated overpaid senior staff need to go.

This place is pretty alright.

Game Master (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsAwesome work environment, great people.
    Cool perks, free games.
    Good, fun place to start if you're just hitting the workforce.
    Decent benefits, profit sharing.
    Get to hear about some of the releases or plans for changes to the games before-hand.

ConsFor the most part, any career growth discussed is an illusion.
    Pay is very lacking, especially when compared to other support companies in town.
    You get your schedule and that's pretty much it for the year, unless you can convince someone to swap shifts with you.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're doing pretty alright.

Overall great place to work as a college student

Game Master (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsWork environment, benefits, flexibility with school schedules for college students

ConsMonotonous work, yearly shift bids make settling into a work/life routine difficult, largely incompetent managers, metrics system constantly changing

Good company.

Customer Service (Former Employee)
    Santa Monica, CA

ProsAmazing atmosphere, fun job, working with gamers for gamers. There is so much a person can say about Blizzard. Some of us, who grew with WoW, had the opportunity to work within the source, we had the chance to see what it's like to be in the gaming industry and let me tell you - it was awesome.

ConsThey could pay a little more... after all, SM is a high cost living area. CS could use a little more love, because they're the frontline, taking the damage for all the company.

Worked for Blizzard Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Blizzard Entertainment reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Blizzard Entertainment CEO Mike Morhaime. All 184 reviews posted anonymously by Blizzard Entertainment employees.