Blizzard Entertainment

Updated March 4, 2015
4.1

Blizzard Entertainment President & CEO Mike Morhaime
Mike Morhaime

Pros
  • Work environment, benefits, flexibility with school schedules for college students (in 19 reviews)

• Laid back company, profit sharing, free games, company gifts, good benefits (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is lower for customer service unless you count bonuses which are not guaranteed (in 15 reviews)

• Substandard Industry pay in a high cost of living area (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing opportunities

Former Intern - Software Engineer
    Former Intern - Software Engineer

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Talented self motivated co workers, inspiring work areas, team events, food, and more food!

Cons

You don't want to leave at the end of the day.

Keep up the good work.

Embrace Your Inner Geek!

Current Employee - Community Specialist in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Community Specialist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture here is unmatched. You spend your whole life with people tolerating your passion for your work and area of expertise, but Blizzard doesn't just tolerate - it encourages, values, and leverages it. Leaders like Mike and Frank have created a great environment and maintained it despite staggering growth. Great balance of having fun together, but taking what we do seriously. Anyone can speak up if something is not right or could be better. You get to know your teammates like family, and at the end of the day can be proud that you were allowed to do whatever it is that you do best. And whatever that is contributed to making great games or serving a kickass player community. Most employees here are pretty self-directed and the environment is super casual. The place is huge, so it's hard to know everyone, but you always feel like you know someone right away when you actually do meet. Everyone has a lot of common ground here.

Cons

Games industry begs some tough hours sometimes. It's managed a lot better than other studios, and Leads take a very pragmatic approach which is nice. It can be tough to get the resources you need quickly sometimes - there are so many ideas on the table at any one time. Exciting but challenging. The area cost of living is high.

Let us be a bit more nimble in securing resources for support teams - doesn't matter how great the game is, it's tough when headquarters team is struggling to get what we need to engage the community. We want to do so much more than we're currently doing, it just takes a while to get the resources (people or software) we need to pull it off.

Amazing company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The culture, environment and passion for games

Cons

Compensation could be slightly better

Keep up the good work

A seriously great place to work!

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I just celebrated my two year anniversary with Blizzard and I can honestly say it has been the quickest, most fun, challenging, and awesome experience. I get to work in a relaxed environment with great people who 'care' and have high goals and expectations. People are here because they want to be here and be part of something big.

Cons

Advancement and segmentation of teams.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Infectious company culture
    Supportive, creative, and passionate employees
    Healthy work/life balance
    Great onsite amenities, perks, and benefits
    Ample career growth opportunities

Cons

Base salary is on the lower side, but total compensation/benefits are very fair

Continue to innovate. Don't stay set in old ways.

Awesome place to work!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The Blizzard community is very unique. We are filled with fun, smart, passionate people who care about what we do and the impact we have on our players. The work life balance is amazing - our family has families of their own that we care about. We have celebrations for releases of new games and expansions which involve a champagne shower! In addition, we are taking the entire company to Vegas in March to have a party celebrating all our wins for 2014. The benefits are extremely rich. Health/dental/vision/pet/Autism insurances are available, 401K w/a 20% matching and MUCH MUCH more! First year employees get a total of 5 1/2 weeks off (vacation/sick time/holidays/Christmas Break) and goes up a week the beginning of your 2nd year. Blizzard employees stay a LONG time! Our service awards are unbelievable. At 5 years you get a sword (yes it is real1), ten years you get a shield and twenty years a crown. We set you up for battle!!! The values of the company match my personal values which is huge!

Cons

Compensation is very competitive however, the structure of the comp plan is unlike a typical comp plan. Base + profit sharing + bonuses. It can challenge your annual budget plan, just needs to be more creative!

Continue giving feedback - both good and constructive. We all want to know that we are great or if we have areas that we can grow.

Great Company Culture, Benefits & Compensation

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Blizzard does an amazing job of curating its company culture, and trying to keep everyone happy & healthy. Benefits are amazing, both the usual 401k/Medical/etc and the perks; several times management rented entire theaters to give employees free advance screenings of new movies. I worked in QA and Blizzard treats its QA better than any other studio in the industry. If you love video games, I doubt you'd find a more like-minded company culture anywhere else.

Cons

Extremely long hours when under deadline, which is about 1/3 of the year. Located in Irvine (may not be a con for everyone). The tight-knit company culture also breeds a large amount of clique-ness that is hard to break through at times. During my employ with the company, the routes to promotion out of QA were shut down or frozen, although I've heard good things about the times before and after. In the QA department, information is passed through word of mouth primarily, instead of being written down. In my opinion this is massively inefficient, although it does help breed a sense of camaraderie.

This is to the QA management, since my experience with the rest of the company's management was limited and satisfactory. I like the move to provide supervisors to each QA analyst, but I felt that they spent more time being friendly sounding boards than providing advice & guidance of substance. Work harder at identifying people who would be good in leadership positions, instead of pushing the people who simply express continual interest in the positions. While the promotion system you have currently works well enough, I saw several people placed in leadership who simply got there by being friends with current leadership/interviewers, not based on merit.

Happy to call blizzard home

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance
    Co-workers are great
    Passionate about the product we create
    The company is always looking for ways to do things better

Cons

compensation could be better

More in regards to Childcare.

I have 6 years of hands-on work experience in UI design, rapid prototyping, front-end development for mobile and web.

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great change to grow up.

Cons

Friendly, faster,creative, innovation, designing and learning.

Apps for Education, language, story, culture.

Work here if you love the games, not the company.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Blizzard makes great games and takes the process of that very seriously.

Employees are very loyal to the company.

Activision has limited influence into the decisions Blizzard makes.

Players will worship you.

You'll get to work with very smart people.

Cons

Blizzard doesn't work hard to be a great place to work. Essentially, it's a privilege to work at Blizzard and you will be reminded of that constantly.

Management isn't a high priority. A lot of management in engineering, art and game design is farmed out to professional managers who aren't actual members of that discipline. I was told at one point to stop focusing so much on my direct reports and just make more good features.

Blizzard has a rock star culture. This can be fun when you see your colleagues on stage at Blizzcon. It's not a great place if you believe in humility.

Blizzard employees can experience Stockholm Syndrome. They are made to feel guilty if they choose to leave the company.

Convince your people that you really value them. Ask not what they can do for Blizzard, but what Blizzard can do for them.

Blizzard Entertainment Photos