Blizzard Entertainment

Blizzard Entertainment Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Blizzard Entertainment President & CEO Mike Morhaime

Mike Morhaime

Pros
  • Work environment, benefits, flexibility with school schedules for college students (in 19 reviews)

• Laid back company, profit sharing, free games, company gifts, good benefits (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is lower for customer service unless you count bonuses which are not guaranteed (in 15 reviews)

• Substandard Industry pay in a high cost of living area (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Blizzard

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsLost of career opportunities if one works hard and looks for ways to be pro-active in their current position.

ConsCompensation can seem a little bit lower than other companies but the overall lifestyle and benefits make up for it.

Blizzard - Dev Team

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsLooks good on your resume. Fun environment. Most people love being there and working there. Lots of great amenities and perks on campus.

ConsNot a lot of room to grow in your career; many people stuck in their role for many years without many chances to change or grow. Substandard pay, especially for the hours you work, and the high cost of living in Irvine. Very much a corporation.

A company that used to care about gamers.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe best thing about Blizzard were that people that actually created. I spent most of my time interacting with different game development teams and QA. For the most part the low and mid level personnel were extremely passionate and dedicated to making a quality product.

Allowed QA to set a very high standard (at least when related to bugs and crashes).

ConsI saw the downhill slide occur first hand during development of Starcraft II. People in a leadership role on that project and battle.net slowly eroded all of the good will Blizzard had built up over 15 years of previous battle.net functionality.

Removing LAN plan, removing chat rooms, facebook integration - these are all things that no game anywhere wanted. The pushback internal on this was monstrous, yet it was wholly ignored. The results speak for themselves. Battle.net is an afterthought and SC2 is just another game that some people occasionally play.

This behavior of making decisions contrary to the best interests of the gamer/customer for short term profits also bled into the Development of Diablo 3. The auction house was lauded internally as a complete disaster, yet higher ups pushed ahead and the disastrous results are all too clear. Some change has been made (2 years later) to close it down, but the damage done is obvious.

In the late 90's and early 2000's the only games I played were Blizzard games. Warcraft 2, Starcraft, Diablo 2, Warcraft 3. I haven't played a Blizzard game regularly since 2010.

The Blizzard that most of us knew, admired, and wanted to be a part of is long gone.

If you work for the company now, you will work long hours with great people for substandard pay on products that you won't play. Work at your own risk.

Advice to Senior ManagementOvertime is a way of life is archaic and backwards. Games can be made in a more efficient manner. The huge ego's that spout "design is king" and "that's how we've always done it" are routes to insolvency.

The most important thing that needs to change for Blizzard to turn things around is to make the customers needs/wants the highest priority. Adding features/changes that improve the gamer's experience could set them on the right path.

In my opinion the entire company needs to be gutted and reformed. All of the extraneous middle management and bloated overpaid senior staff need to go.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good, but not great.

Producer (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

Pros- very creative environment
    - amazing talent to work with
    - laidback and casual atmosphere
    - make amazing games

Cons- Promotions not always rewarded fairly.
    - More political than Congress.
    - HR useless and untrustworthy.
    - A very slow and incompetent hiring process

Advice to Senior ManagementLet go of this "boys club" mentality, and start actually holding people (Senior Management) responsible for their failings.

Good but not great.

Quality Assurance (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsGreat environment and amazing people.

ConsYou can feel taken advantage of if you have skill sets outside of your job. You are asked to fill roles until someone else is hired to do so. Opportunities not always awarded fairly.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the talent and desire to grow within and reward it.

Life is good

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsSalary is more or less the average for the industry. Perks are pretty good. Volleyball court, nice cafeteria, gym and more. There are plenty of career opportunities and growth.

ConsDepending on the team, leadership can go from pretty good to average. The high cost of living in Southern California doesn't help when your salary is industry average or less.

Expensive to live but worth it.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsYou get to have fun. and it really is because you are developing the games people know and love.

ConsChallenges are living up to the expectation of everyone who plays your games which is a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at newcomers as a genius in the making.

Overall great place to work as a college student

Game Master (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsWork environment, benefits, flexibility with school schedules for college students

ConsMonotonous work, yearly shift bids make settling into a work/life routine difficult, largely incompetent managers, metrics system constantly changing

Already reached its peak back in 2007, but still remains arrogant.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLaid back work environment.
    Some decent co-workers.
    Great weather in Irvine.
    Name recognition.

ConsExtremely incompetent management with "old boys" executive staff with some really shady characters.
    Even more useless HR.
    Influx of new corporate employees that destroyed the fun game studio atmosphere.
    Very inefficient.
    Politics on a ridiculous level both domestic and international. If you ever want to see directors and above get into drunken fights during management training, this is where it happens.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, because they just don't care.

Buddy system overload

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsWorking for Blizzard in Austin has very little perks. The staff is underpaid telling you the benifits and the managers lack most qualifications, but if you are best friends with a manager you are for sure going to move up fast.

ConsJob harassment is constant, some managers lack any skill, buddy system is in full effect there, company is lost (they sent out a how much you really get paid document one year stating peoples benifits were $20k more than what they actually filed for taxes due to free games, in game items, and the holiday party. So people stopped going to the holiday party, stopped claiming the mounts and the company never gave another dime. Also the buddy system is super bad one day everyone is watching youtube while working the next 3 people are fired for watching youtube while working after 5 years there. Nothing is fair, no one is listens in HR and if you raise a concern they fire you for not being in line.

I watched some super bad things and sat in some super bad meetings any other company would be sued for.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a long hard look at Austin. There is some super shady stuff going on there. Managers sleeping with employes, best friends working for best friends, and very little actual work being done except for the IGS and ATS staff.

Worked for Blizzard Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!