Blizzard Entertainment

Updated December 13, 2014
3.7

Blizzard Entertainment President & CEO Mike Morhaime
Mike Morhaime

Pros
  • Work environment, benefits, flexibility with school schedules for college students (in 19 reviews)

• Laid back company, profit sharing, free games, company gifts, good benefits (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is lower for customer service unless you count bonuses which are not guaranteed (in 15 reviews)

• Substandard Industry pay in a high cost of living area (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Internship Experience

Former Employee - Intern in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The culture is superb and the company strives to create an open and passionate environment where everyone is encouraged to learn and grow. They strongly promote individual growth and a balanced work-life lifestyle.

Cons

Compensation is generally lower than other companies in the industry.

Blizzard is full of amazingly talented people who genuinely love games, and their passion is infectious!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Blizzard is an extremely successful game developer and has a generous profit-sharing plan that really makes developers feel like they share in that success. There is also a real culture of continued learning and sharing.

Cons

Game teams can be siloed and isolated, and a small number of decision makers often create bottlenecks because they are spread too thin.

Delegate more creative decisions and strive to be more original. Leverage the vast talent you have at all levels in the company.

ATS

Current Employee - Account and Technical Services in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Account and Technical Services in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome perks, awesome environment, awesome people

Cons

micromanagement, hard to move up, hard to be noticed, big company with big policies in place, hard to get around them when trying to get smewhere

Listen to your workers

Best job I have ever had

Current Employee - QA Analyst II in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - QA Analyst II in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Full of Passionate gamers, a great place to work.

Cons

Low pay, low respect from inside the company. Lots of overtime.

Don't tell your employees that "A monkey could do your job, so that's why we don't pay that well. If you don't like it you need to leave now"

Software Engineer Intern

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very good culture. Everyone is genuinely passionate about the games they make. It's very laid back; deadlines get pushed back instead of crunch.

Cons

Very difficult to get a promotion. The pay is just average. The morale of the battle.net team is low due to multiple management changes, but the latest manager seems to be great.

Continue encouraging your employees to learn and have fun while they work.

IT Project Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

There were so many things I loved about working here. The culture, the people, the products, the fans, etc. The list really could go on. The one thing that continued to surprise me was the employee appreciation. There were continuously small things here and there that were given out as gifts or just things for convenience (onsite yoga or crossfit sessions, massage therapist, food truck days, etc.) There were things that just made you feel appreciated for being a part of the company. Oh and a bonus, for me, was that it was a dog-friendly workplace.

Cons

In some areas, I think there might have been a lack of room for growth. I think that in some instances leaders and managers were promoted based on the Peter principle. So sometimes leads or managers were not very good and were not able to help others in their career progression and development. Like many companies, there is a bit of office politics. The compensation could be a bit higher. For me, while the compensation was not what I would have liked, as I mentioned in the Pros section, there were little things here and there that made up for it. Feeling appreciated and valued as an employee can go a long way.

Great place to work!

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

I love the people and culture at Blizzard. My team was easily one of the coolest and smartest people I've ever worked with, and we worked on some amazingly awesome projects. The company treats its folks extremely well with countless perks, events, swag, and benefits.

Cons

Sometimes people get fiercely prideful about their team and their projects, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it can get in the way of cross-team collaboration.

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture and vibe here are second to none. Blizzard is hands down the best employer I ever worked for. Who else ships the whole company plus significant others to Vegas for a 2 day party to celebrate game launches?

Cons

Some management is still in place from the days blizzard was a couple hundred employees and as such they have no real management experience let alone at a massive company
    Blizzard is a company of experts so the pay is a little lower than you would find somewhere with a larger spread of skilled and less-skilled employees

When incompetent management repeatedly gets abysmal reviews, take action instead of making empty promises. I had to leave the company to get out from under them and advance.

It's ok if you need a job but there are a lot of better companies to work for

Former Employee - Specialist Game Master in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Specialist Game Master in Austin, TX

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy to get a job, consistent 40hr/week schedule, free gaming stuff, awesome people to work with

Cons

Consistently changing metrics, every issue from CS gets the response of "we're looking into it" followed by inaction for 6-8 months, low pay for the scope of job, and management is too scared to do anything significant for the floor.

Do something, anything would be better than the constant "we're looking into it"

Work hard, Play hard

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer I in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer I in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Love where you work, what you do, and who you work with. It's a company full of peers- everyone has many of the same passions in common.

Cons

Can be stressful during game launch ramp ups. Support teams fill this more, because lately Blizzard is *always* ramping up a game launch- and support teams are there for all games at all times. This isn't a special case in the industry though- it you already have IT or Entertainment Industry experience it'll fill normal.

Focus on growing your employees strengths and adapting policies to the changing needs of the company. There's a lot of existing talent at Blizzard that are often overlooked in favor of the "fresh meat", because it's exciting to have change. Encourage change within your existing ranks whenever you can :)

Blizzard Entertainment Photos