Blizzard Entertainment

Updated October 16, 2014
3.6

Blizzard Entertainment President & CEO Mike Morhaime
Mike Morhaime

Pros
  • Work environment, benefits, flexibility with school schedules for college students (in 19 reviews)

• Laid back company, profit sharing, free games, company gifts, good benefits (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is lower for customer service unless you count bonuses which are not guaranteed (in 15 reviews)

• Substandard Industry pay in a high cost of living area (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture and vibe here are second to none. Blizzard is hands down the best employer I ever worked for. Who else ships the whole company plus significant others to Vegas for a 2 day party to celebrate game launches?

Cons

Some management is still in place from the days blizzard was a couple hundred employees and as such they have no real management experience let alone at a massive company
    Blizzard is a company of experts so the pay is a little lower than you would find somewhere with a larger spread of skilled and less-skilled employees

When incompetent management repeatedly gets abysmal reviews, take action instead of making empty promises. I had to leave the company to get out from under them and advance.

Work hard, Play hard

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer I in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Love where you work, what you do, and who you work with. It's a company full of peers- everyone has many of the same passions in common.

Cons

Can be stressful during game launch ramp ups. Support teams fill this more, because lately Blizzard is *always* ramping up a game launch- and support teams are there for all games at all times. This isn't a special case in the industry though- it you already have IT or Entertainment Industry experience it'll fill normal.

Focus on growing your employees strengths and adapting policies to the changing needs of the company. There's a lot of existing talent at Blizzard that are often overlooked in favor of the "fresh meat", because it's exciting to have change. Encourage change within your existing ranks whenever you can :)

Best job I've ever had.

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

The culture and environment is outstanding. Thoroughly enjoy working here and have no desire to quit, even after more than 5 years.

Cons

Paycheck can be small. Benefits are excellent, but week to week can be a struggle.

Blizzard is the cream of the crop. Treat your employees as such.

It was just a fun and amazing place to work!

Current Employee - Social Media Strategy MBA in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Social Media Strategy MBA in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Obviously a very fun and entertaining company, but there are just some great people to work with.

Cons

If you are not into the gaming world too much, it may be difficult to fit into the conversations and culture.

Decent workplace

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer I in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than an year)

Pros

nice people, company name value, great weather, fun culture

Cons

high living cost, politics, limited career oppotunities, mid-level salary in the gaming industry

The best company I've ever worked for

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Strong executive leadership, fun industry, commitment to quality with awesome games, very talented employees, teamwork and collaboration, HQ is in a great location (sunshine and beautiful weather all year round...never get tired of this!), Blizzard perks and the wellness program are pretty cool too.

Cons

I haven't seen anything that is a big con at this point after being here for about 6 months - and I'm thrilled to be here. I've always been a fan of the company and games, so it's amazing to now be a part of it all. It has exceeded my expectations.

Keep doing a great job!

Loved the culture, hated the advancement

Former Employee - Account and Technical Services Tier II in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Account and Technical Services Tier II in Austin, TX

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people, good benefits, amazingly creative environment, lax dress code, individuality is encouraged, WoW and new releases and collector's editions free, positive and interested managers

Cons

mediocre pay scale, slow and often confusing advancement, redundant job, novelty of the company wears off, most of the large bonuses have gone the way of the dinosaurs

Offer additional training and advancement opportunities to employees, they are often your largest proponents already! Force internal tool software updates to be pushed after hours, not during the middle of the business day. Create more opportunities for extracurricular activities, as the one's already available have a lot of interest!

The Pride of Irvine

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really love working for an organization that truly prides itself on their people and their games. You have a real sense of pride when a successful game is released and you can say that you were a part of it. We're all in it together and each role in the organization (not just developers) plays an integral role in its success.

Cons

Some processes might have you scratching your head like why is something done the way it is....but in reality, we are a growing company and these pain points are normal. Training could be more consistent across the company.

Really to keep doing what you're already doing. I'm really excited to come to Blizzard everyday and work on the best games in the industry. I really like how we're focusing on growing our talent organically, this ultimately helps with retaining talent for the long run.

Intern

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment as an intern

Pros

company culture and talented employees

Cons

pay is not as high as other tech companies, but higher than most other gaming companies

Like WoW itself, the company may be declining

Former Employee - Programmer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Programmer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Blizzard continues to make great games and has great employees who really believe in what they do. Polish is everything to Blizzard, and most employees are prepared to go the extra mile to ship a AAA product.

Activision really doesn't involve itself much in day-to-day decisions.

It has been nice to see the company add smaller games to their library of epic titles.

Blizzard gives a lot back to players, who in turn make employees feel like rock stars. Blizzcon itself is the highlight of any year.

Cons

Blizzard has a strong culture of micromanagement and a bad habit of not cleaning house, especially at the most senior levels, where friends are kept on staff just for having been at the company a long time. It's ambiguous what it takes to advance your career, and becoming more so as more management is farmed out to professional managers rather than discipline leads who can really give actionable feedback on your craft. Employees are flat out told to spend less time mentoring and growing junior employees and more effort implementing content.

The company seemed unprepared for the inevitable decline of WoW and blamed it on feature or content decisions rather than a natural product cycle. We were told we weren't going to move to a new office because subscribers were down, which was incredibly demoralizing.

Compensation is average and management seems proud of that fact. You are told your reward is that you get to work for Blizzard. There are some fun events, but they feel farmed out to complete a check list rather than something important to the executives. As an example, managers don't show up or "phone it in" for events recognizing major tenure milestones (which you figure would be everything to Blizzard since tenure counts for so much). I didn't get my "five year sword" for months after the ceremony, which made it just not feel like a priority.

It will be interesting to see what Blizzard can do to stem the tide of recent voluntary departures.

Identify your top performers rather than focusing so much on tenure, and tell them how much you appreciate their contributions.

Solve the problem where employees don't know what it takes to advance their career -- it's always tops on the opinion survey polls. Figure out how to increase compensation or make employees feel they can live without.

Most importantly, empower lower level leads to make decisions instead of relying on councils and VPs to make every call.

Blizzard Entertainment Photos