Blizzard Entertainment

Updated January 19, 2015
3.8

Blizzard Entertainment President & CEO Mike Morhaime
Mike Morhaime

Pros
  • Work environment, benefits, flexibility with school schedules for college students (in 19 reviews)

• Laid back company, profit sharing, free games, company gifts, good benefits (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is lower for customer service unless you count bonuses which are not guaranteed (in 15 reviews)

• Substandard Industry pay in a high cost of living area (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

All things are going extremely well!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Every franchise is doing extremely well!
    -There's excitement within the company right now that truly hasn't been felt since early WoW days
    -Leadership at all levels and I really love that everyone is doing their part as they want to see the company succeed

Cons

-Not many opportunities for employees to work from home. Blizzard has always been pretty centric to its main hubs and/or Irvine.
    -Not really a Blizzard 'thing' but the industry itself is very volatile
    -No company public transportation (i.e. Google)

You're steering the ship in the right direction!! Please keep doing what you are doing as I'm happy to be here and I can't wait to see what the future holds for us!

Game Master

Former Employee - Game Master in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Game Master in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- One of the best gaming companies in the world to work for
    - Plenty of opportunity to move up with jobs posted internally first for current employees throughout the year
    - The company takes care of their employees better than most other traditional companies (But they are not perfect)
    - All the obvious perks of Blizzard products and associated products

Cons

- Management used to be operating like a small company caring for their employees, now its very corporate and to the book rigid.
    - Operational issues that could be sped up, but fall under policy and bureaucracy causing it to slow down and stop

Establish a culture like it was back before 2007 where the teams cared about working in their team, and the leads cared about the department, not focused on numbers. Focus on the people and creating a positive environment for them to thrive and the numbers will follow.

Amazing game developer

Current Employee - Game Master in Santa Clarita, CA
    Current Employee - Game Master in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good game overall, Really amazing.

Cons

No cons by far. Fast respond.

A great company, though the lower level employees don't get paid enough to live in southern California.

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It used to be the free benefits, but that has since changed - they are no longer free.

Cons

The worst cafeteria food I have ever eaten. Located in an expensive city.

Culture

Former Employee - Game Master in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Game Master in Austin, TX

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment

Pros

Relaxed culture, happy employees, year end bonuses.

Cons

Feast or famine in terms of workload (around game releases)

Move from Irvine to Austin

Great place to work at, fun people, good times, challenging work but supportive team

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment

Pros

Relaxed workspace with very friendly people and great vibe overall. I really enjoyed by time at Blizzard.

Cons

Really nothing I can think of!

Great culture, talented people, awesome games

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I was an intern, they are awesome to interns and treat you like a real employee!
    Cool projects (if you like their games)
    Lots of perks
    Great coworkers
    Many opportunities for enrichment and growth
    Dogs at work!

Cons

Slightly below-average pay for the area, but the perks and other benefits more than make up for it

Keep focusing on the game being good first and the business second, just like you have been doing! Awesome company :D

Cinematics

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment (more than an year)

Pros

The work is amazing. The amount of talent here is staggering. They bring in the best artists around the world and every one of them is impossibly nice. There are very few bad eggs and they are routed out quickly. The campus is great, right by a trail for walks. They have a cafe for quick easy food if you're not that picky. There are classes for artists that are very rewarding. The life drawing and sculpture classes are fantastic. They are great with employees who need help or develop issues with hands, etc., providing standing desks and ergonomic help. They have a decent healthcare plan and now provide a basic plan to contractors. Many teams have fun team building events and lunches. Playing games in encouraged if not required, even on teams not working directly with the games. Blizzcon is a ton of fun and one of the highlights of anyone's career. It beats any film premiere.

The team is everything. Each team is like working at a different studio. My negative review below ONLY concerns the cinematics department. Other teams seem to have their pipelines working better than ours and even other parts of cinematics seem better than others. Try to find someone working on the team you are interested and ask them what it's like.

Cons

Make no mistake. This is a corporation. That means that no matter how much you love the games, no matter your talent, you are going to work under about 30 leads who have been here since the beginning of time. You will have no say in what you work on or what it looks like. There is little growth career wise and you might not want it. Most senior artists don't make OT which means it might make financial sense to be a regular artist if you are putting in long hours. If you are a real artist and want to make something of your own you might want to look at going to a smaller studio where you can have a bit more say in your art.

There are many producers and they believe their job is to crack the whip rather than protect the artist. EA at least had DDs that keep the OT reasonable and the deadlines manageable. If you need any new software it will take months IF you get it.

If you want to switch teams here you have to formally apply. You will even have to do a test and you are treated the same as an external person applying. If you leave Blizzard and want to come back you are given no favoritism. They are just as likely to hire someone who's never worked there even if you give them a decade.

Your artists are not computers. We have so little control about how we are treated. We have no union and there is no one to speak for us. All your little decisions that seem small to you make the difference between people getting to pick up their kids from school or sleeping at work for 3 months. If you don't do your job well, communicate deadlines, and plan the workload, people under you suffer. OT is bad planning. Period. Blizzard doesn't work for a client; you set your own deadlines. There are teams in cinematics that constantly have to work late ALL THE TIME. It's not because they are bad at their jobs. It's because you are bad at yours.

One of the best places I have worked

Current Employee - Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone truly cares about the product they make. Most people who work here love the work they do and the passions shows on a daily basis.

Cons

Nothing really, as far as the company goes. The only con I can really think of is that it is located in Irvine, which is a boring place to live.

Hard to think of any really. Every team is pretty well managed and the goals are clear.

Great Internship Experience

Former Employee - Intern in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The culture is superb and the company strives to create an open and passionate environment where everyone is encouraged to learn and grow. They strongly promote individual growth and a balanced work-life lifestyle.

Cons

Compensation is generally lower than other companies in the industry.

Blizzard Entertainment Photos