Blizzard Entertainment Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Exciting work, excellent perks, far from humble.

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

First and foremost, the product is fun and exciting. I can't tell you how much of a difference it makes sitting down at your desk when you are working on something you care about. Secondly I'd say is the perks. There are plenty of gamer perks, party perks, and money perks as long as business is going well.

Cons

Culture is the biggest struggle for me. It is a big company so this may vary by department. In my department people tended to be cold, stiff, and terse. I'll walk by and throw a friendly what's up as I walk down the hall and a surprising number of people will avert their gaze and not respond. It could be me, but I've worked for several companies and this is a new experience. I'm also new to the area and was hoping to make friends to socialize with outside of the workplace but the people here tend to be homebodies. To their credit they do try very hard to promote social networking. This may be a problem that is outside of their control. The other note that I would make is that pay scales are not competitive. They would argue that they pay close to nationwide average for a given title. But what they don't say is that holding a given title at Blizzard is much more demanding then holding the same title at other employers and the cost of living is a very large pill you will have to swallow. Lastly, the cafeteria food is bland school lunch grade stuff and there aren't any alternatives in walking distance. Coming from a down town location, this was a surprisingly big pain point.

Advice to Management

Cater, or bring in a better in house food service, or competing services. Maybe party a bit less so that you can pay a bit more competitively?

Going to hell in a handbasket

Current Employee - Assistant Designer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Designer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone thinks you're cool
    Upper management is amongst the highest paid employees in the entire country.

Cons

Badly underpaid for everyone that isn't C-level.
    Nepotism is rampant
    Career growth is non-existent and managers will lie to your face and contradict themselves in the same conversation.
    Micromanaging corporate machinations
    Concerns over money > everything > integrity
    Management protecting themselves with fortresses of paperwork and creating parliamentary bureaucratic systems to justify their continued overpaid existence.
    'Untouchable' employees that are immune to their own incompetence, making everyone else's life a living hell.

Advice to Management

Pay the rest of your employees a fair wage
    Hold management accountable
    Fire the 'untouchable' employees that are incompetent

Best job ever.

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment

Pros

Good management, good people, good payment over time.

Cons

Unknown unknown unknown unknown unknown

5. Great place to work and be surrounded by passionate people with a common interest.

Current Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People, people, and the people. Everyone loves the product and wants to contribute to making great games. The company continues to innovate great products that keep the customers engaged.

Cons

Management seems to be changing constantly with new reorgs, team adjustments, and space shuffling. It can be difficult to maintain continuity and build a team when things shift so rapidly.

Advice to Management

Keep coming up with new ways to maintain the amazing customer base. Nothing speaks better to the world than great games. For employees, let people get settled and give them time to hit a working groove. I'm all for the "Fail fast and often" philosophy but you need time for success as well.

A seriously great place to work!

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I just celebrated my two year anniversary with Blizzard and I can honestly say it has been the quickest, most fun, challenging, and awesome experience. I get to work in a relaxed environment with great people who 'care' and have high goals and expectations. People are here because they want to be here and be part of something big.

Cons

Advancement and segmentation of teams.

Embrace Your Inner Geek!

Current Employee - Community Specialist in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Community Specialist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture here is unmatched. You spend your whole life with people tolerating your passion for your work and area of expertise, but Blizzard doesn't just tolerate - it encourages, values, and leverages it. Leaders like Mike and Frank have created a great environment and maintained it despite staggering growth. Great balance of having fun together, but taking what we do seriously. Anyone can speak up if something is not right or could be better. You get to know your teammates like family, and at the end of the day can be proud that you were allowed to do whatever it is that you do best. And whatever that is contributed to making great games or serving a kickass player community. Most employees here are pretty self-directed and the environment is super casual. The place is huge, so it's hard to know everyone, but you always feel like you know someone right away when you actually do meet. Everyone has a lot of common ground here.

Cons

Games industry begs some tough hours sometimes. It's managed a lot better than other studios, and Leads take a very pragmatic approach which is nice. It can be tough to get the resources you need quickly sometimes - there are so many ideas on the table at any one time. Exciting but challenging. The area cost of living is high.

Advice to Management

Let us be a bit more nimble in securing resources for support teams - doesn't matter how great the game is, it's tough when headquarters team is struggling to get what we need to engage the community. We want to do so much more than we're currently doing, it just takes a while to get the resources (people or software) we need to pull it off.

Work here if you love the games, not the company.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Blizzard makes great games and takes the process of that very seriously.

Employees are very loyal to the company.

Activision has limited influence into the decisions Blizzard makes.

Players will worship you.

You'll get to work with very smart people.

Cons

Blizzard doesn't work hard to be a great place to work. Essentially, it's a privilege to work at Blizzard and you will be reminded of that constantly.

Management isn't a high priority. A lot of management in engineering, art and game design is farmed out to professional managers who aren't actual members of that discipline. I was told at one point to stop focusing so much on my direct reports and just make more good features.

Blizzard has a rock star culture. This can be fun when you see your colleagues on stage at Blizzcon. It's not a great place if you believe in humility.

Blizzard employees can experience Stockholm Syndrome. They are made to feel guilty if they choose to leave the company.

Advice to Management

Convince your people that you really value them. Ask not what they can do for Blizzard, but what Blizzard can do for them.

9. Amazing company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture, environment and passion for games

Cons

Compensation could be slightly better

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

10. Great place to work!

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Infectious company culture
    Supportive, creative, and passionate employees
    Healthy work/life balance
    Great onsite amenities, perks, and benefits
    Ample career growth opportunities

Cons

Base salary is on the lower side, but total compensation/benefits are very fair

Advice to Management

Continue to innovate. Don't stay set in old ways.

Awesome place to work!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Blizzard community is very unique. We are filled with fun, smart, passionate people who care about what we do and the impact we have on our players. The work life balance is amazing - our family has families of their own that we care about. We have celebrations for releases of new games and expansions which involve a champagne shower! In addition, we are taking the entire company to Vegas in March to have a party celebrating all our wins for 2014. The benefits are extremely rich. Health/dental/vision/pet/Autism insurances are available, 401K w/a 20% matching and MUCH MUCH more! First year employees get a total of 5 1/2 weeks off (vacation/sick time/holidays/Christmas Break) and goes up a week the beginning of your 2nd year. Blizzard employees stay a LONG time! Our service awards are unbelievable. At 5 years you get a sword (yes it is real1), ten years you get a shield and twenty years a crown. We set you up for battle!!! The values of the company match my personal values which is huge!

Cons

Compensation is very competitive however, the structure of the comp plan is unlike a typical comp plan. Base + profit sharing + bonuses. It can challenge your annual budget plan, just needs to be more creative!

Advice to Management

Continue giving feedback - both good and constructive. We all want to know that we are great or if we have areas that we can grow.

RSS Feed </> Embed