Blizzard Entertainment Reviews

1. Happy to call blizzard home

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance
    Co-workers are great
    Passionate about the product we create
    The company is always looking for ways to do things better

Cons

compensation could be better

More in regards to Childcare.

2. I have 6 years of hands-on work experience in UI design, rapid prototyping, front-end development for mobile and web.

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great change to grow up.

Cons

Friendly, faster,creative, innovation, designing and learning.

Apps for Education, language, story, culture.

3. Great company, epic products, and amazing people

Current Employee - Coordinator in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment

Pros

Great benefits, good compensation, incredible attention to wellness, and also amazing amenities on campus. Plenty of room for growth, and who better to learn from than the best in the industry!

Cons

California may be an expensive option for prospective hires.

People don't want to just work for Blizzard and call it a day. They want to know that they are working toward their personal career goals and they also want to know what a path looks like with Blizzard.

5. Great benefits, profit sharing, nerdy people who can share passions for anything you geek out over (even sports)

Current Employee - Senior Customer Support in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Support in Austin, TX

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The pay isn't great from the start, but you get excellent benefits. Which can't be said for most places. Raises happen each year, depending on your ability to perform. The management really cares for the little guy. While some business needs contrast with that, it's comforting to know that Morhaime at the top truly cares.

On site gym, cafeteria is nice while not being anything too fancy, you can decorate your desk with any geek stuff you want.

Cons

Slow progression, but it's a work in progress. If you're looking to move onto anything beyond CS, you have steep competition. Even for internal applications, there are a lot of people pining to move up, and many have put in lengthy time working towards it. You will need to do the same.

A couple of the metrics systems in place don't properly reflect an agents ability to provide good service.

Communicate failures more openly. Our metric systems are broked, there is a new one in the works, but not everyone knows what's coming and are suffering in the mean time.

6. Blizzard...the culture is real!

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

First time I've worked for a company that actually believes and invests in their core values. The strong sense of culture fit has brought together a talented group of folks, and the perks (subsidized cafeteria, dozens of hobby groups and health programs, etc.) encourages work/life balance, which, let's face it, is more important in the gaming industry than most. Blizzard Academy offers a host of creative development courses and events to keep leveling up the talent.

Cons

It's a bit of challenge to find time to fit in training and actually take the company up on everything I want to do or participate in that they offer. And being agile in your role or discipline will only help you at Blizzard...

Seek employee feedback more often on some of the higher level decisions that affect the campus or benefits.

Awful CS experience

Former Employee - Game Master in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Game Master in Austin, TX

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Co-workers in the Customer Service department are amazing, health benefits are good (but you do pay for them every paycheck), encouragement to be yourself and express your personality.

Cons

Low pay based on other CS jobs in the area, minimal communication from Irvine office to Austin Office, very little room for promotion, intense demands for metrics, tools used to perform the job are unstable.

Don't just say you value your CS employees, ACTUALLY value them.

Vile Middle Management

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment

Pros

The wonderful ambiance of the main campus is almost magical- it's a wonderful setting to work in with great decorations and perks (gym, gourmet cafeteria at great prices, etc). Also the prestige simply working at Blizzard is immense, you pretty much have rock star status while you work there. Free games & swag galore. Working on your favorite games since childhood is a fantasy come true.

Great executives and upper management for the most part- they were gamechangers for this entire industry.

The junior employees who do all of the actual work there all have a great attitude, are the pick of the barrel, and are truly an asset to the company.

Cons

The ranks of middle management is filled with absolutely the lowest forms of life imaginable- basically all guys who were simply lucky enough to be in the right place and the right time following Blizzard's post-WoW expansion explosion- or they were the buddies of Sr. Management. Most of the have zero management training, no college education, and no leadership qualities whatsoever. Many of them are petty and they crack down on innovation & success from the guys at the bottom of the totem pole to make sure they stay there and don't threaten either themselves or their middle management buddies. To be honest, the multiple grossly incompetent managers in the middle ranks is why I voluntarily left this company.

Upper management is actually brilliant and the best in the business... but those guys kind of walk around campus with their heads in the cloud just waiting to cash in on their golden parachutes, and they act like part of some secret society old boy's club, full of inside jokes and stories that nobody else can ever relate to. When these guys moved up to Sr. Management, they all did a completely terrible job at picking out their replacements to take over middle management who are the ones who really drive stuff day to day.

There is incredibly slow turnover there because most people love their jobs, and very little room for career growth at Blizzard. Most people actually have to leave the company for a few years just to get Lead/Management experience and then re-apply back to Blizzard Lead positions.

Pay is slightly substandard for the industry, Blizzard considers all the free games & perks as part of your salary. I'd rather have a industry standard wage though, to help my rent in the very expensive Irvine, California region.

To be eligible for middle management, that person should have to have some actual bonafide social skills and leadership qualities, not simply having seniority/been in the right place at the right time/was your buddy at work. You guys have picked out the next crop of leaders poorly.

Great Company Culture, Benefits & Compensation

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Blizzard does an amazing job of curating its company culture, and trying to keep everyone happy & healthy. Benefits are amazing, both the usual 401k/Medical/etc and the perks; several times management rented entire theaters to give employees free advance screenings of new movies. I worked in QA and Blizzard treats its QA better than any other studio in the industry. If you love video games, I doubt you'd find a more like-minded company culture anywhere else.

Cons

Extremely long hours when under deadline, which is about 1/3 of the year. Located in Irvine (may not be a con for everyone). The tight-knit company culture also breeds a large amount of clique-ness that is hard to break through at times. During my employ with the company, the routes to promotion out of QA were shut down or frozen, although I've heard good things about the times before and after. In the QA department, information is passed through word of mouth primarily, instead of being written down. In my opinion this is massively inefficient, although it does help breed a sense of camaraderie.

This is to the QA management, since my experience with the rest of the company's management was limited and satisfactory. I like the move to provide supervisors to each QA analyst, but I felt that they spent more time being friendly sounding boards than providing advice & guidance of substance. Work harder at identifying people who would be good in leadership positions, instead of pushing the people who simply express continual interest in the positions. While the promotion system you have currently works well enough, I saw several people placed in leadership who simply got there by being friends with current leadership/interviewers, not based on merit.

All things are going extremely well!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Every franchise is doing extremely well!
    -There's excitement within the company right now that truly hasn't been felt since early WoW days
    -Leadership at all levels and I really love that everyone is doing their part as they want to see the company succeed

Cons

-Not many opportunities for employees to work from home. Blizzard has always been pretty centric to its main hubs and/or Irvine.
    -Not really a Blizzard 'thing' but the industry itself is very volatile
    -No company public transportation (i.e. Google)

You're steering the ship in the right direction!! Please keep doing what you are doing as I'm happy to be here and I can't wait to see what the future holds for us!

11. Great company. The usual corporate hurdles to overcome.

Former Employee - In-Game Support Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - In-Game Support Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits were good, pay was moderate, and the gaming culture was amazing. They do profit sharing and bonuses at least once a year. Lots of free swag, and xmas and summer parties for all employees.

Cons

Hard to move up. Once you get to the top of your current position you hit a ceiling.

I would streamline the interview process. It's very awkward.

Blizzard Entertainment Photos