Blizzard Entertainment Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

You have to love what you do.

Current Employee - Compatibility Analyst III in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Compatibility Analyst III in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

You get to work with some really talented people. Most of the people who work here do so because they love Blizzard games.

Cons

You do not get payed very well and you are expected to perform well above your job description. Management likes to throw around the phrase "If you don't like it here then quit, there are thousands of others that can replace you." which does not lead to a very good work environment.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like your employees are these replaceable pieces on a game board.

Senior Game Desinger

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment

Pros

- Fun - Excellent Pay - Relaxed - Benefits

Cons

- Long Hours - Unorganized - Sometimes Boring

Advice to Management

Listen to employees more. There should be an atmosphere that is centered around teamwork and individuality, not simply the opinions of the higher ups.

May 15, 2015 – Blizzard

Fostering "...an atmosphere that is centered around teamwork and individuality" is what we want as well, regardless of team. Hopefully you felt comfortable enough while you were here to use one of ... More

Game Master

Former Employee - Game Master in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Game Master in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, relaxed environment with mostly great people. Perks were great, as were bonuses. Company is very visible with it's data and mission. Mike Morhaime is a great guy who "gets" the employees, it just doesn't "trickle down". Great health benefits.

Cons

You get to do more work over time for the same pay, or a (very) small increase. It's not what you know, but who you know. They will bring in outsiders from another company en masse, and even create jobs for them, if they like the person (I experienced this with my own eyes.) If you are a GM aka "peon", you aren't worth the time or money to help you stay at the company when things get rough. Low end of the pay scale when it comes to the work. I get paid a lot more doing a lot less now.

Advice to Management

Think about the "little guy" more. I was done wrong, and it was a mix of responsible parties, but Blizzard was a part of it. I would have stayed, given the chance.

Production

Former Employee - Production in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Production in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

1. Family Type environment, it feels like a small family. And that's what can get you to stay a long time. 2. Big events, perks are somewhat generous. 3. Better inter department career growth now. 4. Amazing company if you are a 20 something with no family and just want to spend 80 hours a week during crunch time at work.

Cons

1. Lack of career direction outside of a department. And if you do get movement, you will only get a 10% increase when someone can come from outside the company and make way more than you. And you are expected to love it since you owe them for promoting you. 2. Pay is generally crap at the lower end of things, and you get responses from Executives that bonuses are to offset getting paid low. But then reminded in the same breath they are not guaranteed at the same time. 3. No balance of work/home life at all. There were times I worked 120 hours in a week literally only sleeping at home.

Advice to Management

I do believe that Morhaime does care about the people and want's the best for them. But I never got that feeling from people like Frank Pearce or some of the other executives. There are a lot of good people here, and good management. Inter Department Managers are there for you and generally will fight to help you succeed.

Game Master for WoW

Former Employee - In-Game Support Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - In-Game Support Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Overnight shifts available (great for college) - Nerf gun battles - Help people having trouble in the game - Free Blizzard stuff - Being able to blow players' minds

Cons

- Crazy angry gamers (Some people don't understand how statistics and probability work. They think if the drop rate is 1% and you kill 100, one should drop.)

May 15, 2015 – Blizzard

Thanks for writing in and contributing your talent to one of the best Customer Service organizations in the world!

Great job

Current Employee - Senior Technical Artist I in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Artist I in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing talent that pushes you to be better. Really low ego from the best developers in the world. Company really takes care of its employees. Benefits are competitive. Company really takes care of its culture.

Cons

It's hard to progress in your career. Jobs rarely open up and advancement takes a very long time. Leadership positions are open very rarely and they go to people who are part of the "in" crowd. Living in Irvine is really expensive.

Lots of very nice perks

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

There are a ton of perks that are hard to quantify. The atmosphere is relaxed and filled with people who are passionate about what they do. They seem to be very focused on helping employees achieve their professional goals and placing employees in positions where they're excited about what they're doing.

Cons

Like most people say, the actual salary portion of the benefits package feels low when compared with similar positions at other companies in the industry

May 15, 2015 – Blizzard

Thanks for sharing, and for the call-out to our Internal Mobility team - they really work hard to make sure employees are engaged and happy with the work they're doing and team they're on.

An evolving company with growing pains

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

Great passionate people who want to create the best games in the industry.

Cons

There is a lot of internal politics that exist in the organization. Some turn a blind eye to it or have simply accepted as the way of life. Too many people who don't fit the gaming culture have slowly entered the company and it has changed the company for the worst. If you expect industry rate for your skills it may be best for you to go to the tech industry.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the of the individuals who want nothing more than to hold on to their rank. Look at how new younger tech companies are innovating and managing their teams. Its time to take that industry polish and turn it inwards to make your company truly great again. As long as Mike Morhaime remains as the company CEO it will be on good footing.

Exciting work, excellent perks, far from humble.

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

First and foremost, the product is fun and exciting. I can't tell you how much of a difference it makes sitting down at your desk when you are working on something you care about. Secondly I'd say is the perks. There are plenty of gamer perks, party perks, and money perks as long as business is going well.

Cons

Culture is the biggest struggle for me. It is a big company so this may vary by department. In my department people tended to be cold, stiff, and terse. I'll walk by and throw a friendly what's up as I walk down the hall and a surprising number of people will avert their gaze and not respond. It could be me, but I've worked for several companies and this is a new experience. I'm also new to the area and was hoping to make friends to socialize with outside of the workplace but the people here tend to be homebodies. To their credit they do try very hard to promote social networking. This may be a problem that is outside of their control. The other note that I would make is that pay scales are not competitive. They would argue that they pay close to nationwide average for a given title. But what they don't say is that holding a given title at Blizzard is much more demanding then holding the same title at other employers and the cost of living is a very large pill you will have to swallow. Lastly, the cafeteria food is bland school lunch grade stuff and there aren't any alternatives in walking distance. Coming from a down town location, this was a surprisingly big pain point.

Advice to Management

Cater, or bring in a better in house food service, or competing services. Maybe party a bit less so that you can pay a bit more competitively?

Going to hell in a handbasket

Current Employee - Assistant Designer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Designer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone thinks you're cool Upper management is amongst the highest paid employees in the entire country.

Cons

Badly underpaid for everyone that isn't C-level. Nepotism is rampant Career growth is non-existent and managers will lie to your face and contradict themselves in the same conversation. Micromanaging corporate machinations Concerns over money > everything > integrity Management protecting themselves with fortresses of paperwork and creating parliamentary bureaucratic systems to justify their continued overpaid existence. 'Untouchable' employees that are immune to their own incompetence, making everyone else's life a living hell.

Advice to Management

Pay the rest of your employees a fair wage Hold management accountable Fire the 'untouchable' employees that are incompetent

RSS Feed </> Embed