Blockbuster

Blockbuster Reviews in Oklahoma City, OK

2.8

Blockbuster President Michael Kelly
Michael Kelly

Pros
  • Great weekly benefits with 10 free rentals a week (in 189 reviews)

• We got ten free movies per week which was a great perk (in 160 reviews)

Cons
  • Unrealistic expectations, upper management out of touch with what the customer wanted (in 47 reviews)

• unrealistic sales goals, upper management micro managed too much (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

2 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Nice pros but bad cons

Former Employee - Blockbuster Video in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Blockbuster Video in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Blockbuster

Pros

The best thing a bout working at blockbuster are all of the free weekly movie and game rentals they give you.

Cons

The cons of working there would have to be the general low pay and and the fact they don't give raises very often.

I think in most of the higher volume locations there are good employment opportunities but in the lower volume stores, things just seem to fall by the waist side.

Joining the Titanic for the Pay

Current Employee - Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Blockbuster full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The upside was that the pay (Store Manager) was an increase for me as opposed to my last job where it was taking forever to get a promotion. That is why I took the job. I joined after Dish Network took over and shut down the first string of stores. They fed a lot of lies to the Blockbuster people up high and down low saying that they were not trying to shut any stores down. In reality actual Dish Network employees all said the same thing, you are going to be liquidated. So the pay for this year has been great, but it's all going down in a matter of a couple of years. If you join the titanic bring a life-vest.

Cons

The planning and operations of this company is atrocious. There were two major marketing shifts that happened during 2012. Both of those were fraught with problems as some stores didn't get their packages and most got incomplete packages. They didn't know how many shelves were in each store and didn't care to check before sending the packages. The holiday set was supposed to be done in November but the signing never arrived until 2 weeks before Christmas. The new releases were late and incomplete often which of course could have something to do with the studios themselves, but I am apt to think it was just Blockbuster. From everything employees who have been with the company for 20 years have said, this is exactly how things used to be back in the day of Big Blue when Blockbuster was king.

Get out, Dish is just keeping you around long enough to perfect a streaming option and cannibalize as many Blockbuster regulars as possible. They are full of lies and if they are promising you a job at Dish Network when it is all over, I would have a hard time believing that either.