Bloom Energy

Add Photos

Bloom Energy Principal Co-Founder & CEO K.R. Sridhar

K.R. Sridhar

Bustling

Engineering Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat think tank with lots of high end talent. People here have the potential to accomplish everything the company sets its goals to.

ConsMajor disconnect between the white collar and the blue collar. Kings vs. peasants culture and peasants are replaceable.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild business connections with the internal employees and the vision will come to pass. Keep the business connections broken and the struggle may continue.

90% of employees are contracted out with no plan of being hired on any time soon

Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Bloom Energy as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGood People work there, but not for long if the don't change. Seems like everyone is running to Tesla!

ConsUnorganized and old Military style leadership. Do as I say not as I do. Some people have been contractors for over 2 years. Because of the contract Bloom signed with their staffing agency, contract employees do not get ANY Sick or vacation days! I've never heard of that, so even if you have worked there for 2 years if you get sick.... too bad!

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your managers how to lead teams in a positive and motivating manner.

Manufacturing plant hours are long and contractor pay is low

Manufacturing Technician (Current Employee)
Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Bloom Energy as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThe product is innovation and successful. Company sales increase every quarter. Exciting private company to be in right now.

ConsThey hire contractors for a low hourly wage to work 60 hours+ in the manufacturing plants (once worked 19 hours in a 27 hour period over a weekend). It takes almost 2+ years to be considered for a permanent position - all along making low hourly pay and working holidays and every weekends. Meanwhile, the supervisors and planners all get mad and make comments when you ask for any amount of time off - on a weekend.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should spend more time in your plants. The planners and permanent managers are expecting the low paid contractors to work insanely long hours and if they ask for even 1 day or 1 full weekend off - they get threatened with not becoming permanent - one day. Even though it's hard to see when contractors will become permanent when it takes 2 years+. This is not how employees should be treated. The contractors are working hard knowing that there aren't a lot of manufacturing plants in this area. They want to work at Bloom and they want to stay. But if your sales triple in 1 quarter, then you should think about tripling your plant workforce then too. Instead of asking people to work 19 hours in a 27 hour period over a weekend. If it's a last month of every quarter push to meet demand, that's reasonable, but it's not just these months - it's turned into every month - every day. Employee and contractors' wives are leaving them because they have to work so much and they are missing their kids birthdays - all because there are not enough employees to cover all the product that needs to be built and delivered in one quarter. People are tired and the class system (perm vs. contractor) should be fixed. This is worst treatment of employees and contractors I have ever heard of.

good place to work

Staff Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time for more than 5 years

Prosamount of work is very high

Consless than perfect resources available

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it up

Mixed

I have been working at Bloom Energy

ProsImpressive technical talent. Interesting work.

ConsNo HR standards whatsoever, huge title discrepancies for similar jobs. Some areas are overstaffed, others understaffed. Poor leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany needs better organization and structure. Employee recognition is manager dependent, with little input from peers. Should give promotions to whoever delivers, not complains loudest or spends most time trying to please manager

Company dooms when employees stop to Bloom

I worked at Bloom Energy

ProsBusiness students looking for a good case study in how not to run a company have a perfect opportunity here.
Product is good and will eventually cause some benefit to earth.

ConsAmount of dust accumulated by licking your Boss's feet is the only criterion considered during appraisals.
Wondering do they still call it Performance Appraisals ?

There is no employee empowerment so even though you might have been hired because of your expertise, they don't actually want you to use it.
If you ask a questions, you are out rightly branded as "negative" and that incident is the basis for all the future communications and decisions.
Feedback is absolutely destructive.

Advice to Senior ManagementSadly, management has no interest in anyone's advice or feedback.
However, here is mine. As a technology company, your biggest asset is not only the technology but the knowledge of the people that you have which goes into the development of the product.
When you loose a large portion of that knowledge, it is not replaceable with the next person in the door.
The issue with the company is you, and unless you take a look in the mirror and fix the poor, discriminative executive management practices at Bloom, this company will eventually implode.

I wish there was something I could add more that would get through to them but it is a lost cause. At this point my sole reason for writing this review is the slim chance that it might give somebody contemplating coming to work at this hell on earth a second thought.

Great technology, lots of learning opportunity, and great team!

I have been working at Bloom Energy

ProsAwesome, smart people. We have a great product that's going to impact the world. Ability to work with different types of engineers.

ConsEngineers at BE work long hours with aggressive schedules and lean budgets. Sometimes development is difficult due to the schedule and budget.

Vibrant work environment

I worked at Bloom Energy

Proscutting edge engineering work, everyone is very smart & excited about their contributions, everyone wants the company to succeed, management is very clear on their goals for each team

Conssince bloom energy is still a smaller company that has yet to go public, the compensation is a bit low, but you do get to work on very exciting projects and there's a huge possible upside if the company IPOs

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management is very capable, and is very specific on the tasks they want each specific group to get done each quarter, the executive team is very inspirational.

Positive working environment

Production Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Bloom Energy

ProsCo-workers are very down to earth and likable

ConsNew company which means low job security

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the good work going!

Bloom Energy Fuell Cell

Team Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bloom Energy

ProsBloom Energy pay rates are very good, from the top down.
Bloom energy cover 100% of Permanent employees benefits.
Growth in the company is achievable
Permanent Senior Engineers and upper management enjoy working for the company.

ConsAs the company grows pay rates and benefits are decreasing.
80+ hour Mon-Sun work weeks are at times demanded/ while at other times workers are laid off when work is minimal.
Poor planning and organization equals very unstable schedules.
Contractors make up a majority of the workforce and are treated poorly, told to work 12-14 hour days and are easily replaceable.
Bloom Energy is behind in its planed progress.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat others how you want to be treated, remember work and life balance is important to everyone.

Worked for Bloom Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bloom Energy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bloom Energy CEO K.R. Sridhar. All 45 reviews posted anonymously by Bloom Energy employees.