Bloom Energy

Updated August 28, 2014
2.9

Bloom Energy Principal Co-Founder & CEO K.R. Sridhar
K.R. Sridhar

Pros
  • The company has grown to a place where the product is great, and so are the people that have built the product (in 4 reviews)

• There are some very smart people and very nice and hard working people there (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Expect to work long hours, but the reward is there if the company succeeds in its ambitious goals (in 8 reviews)

• Engineers at BE work long hours with aggressive schedules and lean budgets (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Talk and actions don't match

I worked at Bloom Energy

Pros

The technology is cutting edge and fascinating to see develop. There a many top notch people at the company. It's a good learning experience if you don't mind being thrown into the fire.

Cons

Very hierarchical and political. Organizationally is a mess with blame and in-fighting common between and withing groups. Senior management does not try to find truth and assumes saying something is the same as being able to accomplish it. R&D has the last say on any decision, be it supply chain issues, manufacturing planning or sales.

Exciting product, dictatorial / nepotistic Engineering management style. The magic is gone!

Current Employee - Operations in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great product and exciting option to learn about new technology for a decentralized way to generate power.

Cons

Lots of politics/ backstabbing involved. Need to be friends of the right people (engineering heads) to keep your job, not matter how hard or how committed you are with the company. Long hours, low pay. Nobody is safe in this company.

Value and care about the basic workforce, including entry-level Engineers and Managers. Engineering, let the CEOs (4 in 4 years?) and develop the future state of this company.

Don't waste your time here

I worked at Bloom Energy

Pros

Inspiring mission and the opportunity to work with some great people who are very smart and hardworking.

Cons

Low morale and low pay. Favoritism and a lot of politics. Management has lack of trust in employees. Lack of career opportunities unless someone quits. Bad company culture. Employees are overworked and undervalued.

Technician

Current Employee - Technician in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Technician in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Building fuel cells systems,solar systems

Cons

Responsiblities for RGA ;Helium leak detection

good

Permanent position or bust

I worked at Bloom Energy as a contractor

Pros

Lots of learning/good experience. Exciting technology.

Cons

In general, nobody sincerely cares about you. Lack of team building. Sub-par wages.
    A whole lot worse for contractors (no job security).

At least after you get into the black, hire more permanent positions instead of contractors.

Worked in sustaining engineering support?

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Bloom Energy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting, innovative fuel cell application.

Cons

Too much politics in middle management.

None to help.

Fantastic company with a great mission

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time

Pros

It's truly inspiring to work with so many people that are passionate about advancing the state of fuel cell technology. My colleagues are some of the most brilliant and talented individuals I've worked with thus far, and I'm excited to see how far we can go in the next few years. It's a pretty fast-paced environment, but it functions to promote continual professional development, and it definitely ensures that work is never boring. Overall, I've been very satisfied working here.

Cons

I wish there were more company events. We do have picnics occasionally, but the company has gotten so big it has started to become a little disconnected.

manufacturing

Current Employee - Manufacturing in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good co workers, location is good,

Cons

At first I was excited about the job,everyone was helpful, good pay as I was an entry level worker. They will say good character about you just to stay for them because they still need you, promising conversion from contractor to regular employee. after 2 years of worked nothing happened all your ambitions and high aims sudden change and all you wants is to get out of the company. A lots of favoritism, politics. if you know how to play you will get your permanency in less than of 1 to 2 years. Manager and supervisors as well as Team leads don't know how to manage the department, long hours of work, working weekends,

make it a point that everybody work really hard, some people get permanency because of politics and favoritism.

Overworked & underpaid -enough said

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Bloom Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hard working, dedicated and world class talent in many areas, such as engineering. Good benefits and PTO.

Cons

Management - particularly in certain critical areas of engineering is extremely poor, full on personal vendettas, back stabbing and petty drama. Priorities shift day to day resulting in a ridiculous waste of money, time and resources, and then underlings have to take the blame and work 15 h days to make up for the mess that VP's and managers caused in the first place. Don't even try to point out whether a project has flaws - depending on the manager, you can even get fired, or at least have a very bad review coming your way.

I personally think that CEO is overrated, and very unfocused in creating a consistent vision for the company. I believe that he has drank to much of his own Kool-aid as a visionary that will change the world, when in fact, this technology relies in NG, that is extracted via fracking, an extremely polluting process. So a lot of green-washing to say the least.

Also, there are way too many managers and VP's, as positions were created when hot hires requested their buddy, golf pal or neighbor to join as well as a condition to switch jobs to BE.

Pay is low, considering that poor project planning results in 12+h/days. High stress, poor communication, non-existent training for new employees. Avoid!

Focus on being a niche company first, were the premium for distributed energy looks attractive,and then focus on mass producing it. I would seriously review company structure. as it seems bloated and ineffective, and made to serve interest groups within the company

Venomous Company

Current Employee - Supply Chain/Ops in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Supply Chain/Ops in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. Hard working employees and contractors (18+ hours per day)

Cons

Leadership:
    1. Nepotism and preferential treatment of Engineering to the exclusion of all other teams
    2. God-complex of engineering to the point of infallibility
    3. Darwinian culture and values
    4. Prevaricators
    5. Intellectual Elitism/bullying

They are God! They don't listen to advice!