Bloom Energy Reviews

Updated April 13, 2015
62 reviews filtered by

1. Worked in sustaining engineering support?

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Bloom Energy part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Interesting, innovative fuel cell application.

Cons

Too much politics in middle management.

Advice to Management

None to help.

2. Fantastic company with a great mission

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time

Pros

It's truly inspiring to work with so many people that are passionate about advancing the state of fuel cell technology. My colleagues are some of the most brilliant and talented individuals I've worked with thus far, and I'm excited to see how far we can go in the next few years. It's a pretty fast-paced environment, but it functions to promote continual professional development, and it definitely ensures that work is never boring. Overall, I've been very satisfied working here.

Cons

I wish there were more company events. We do have picnics occasionally, but the company has gotten so big it has started to become a little disconnected.

manufacturing

Current Employee - Manufacturing in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good co workers, location is good,

Cons

At first I was excited about the job,everyone was helpful, good pay as I was an entry level worker. They will say good character about you just to stay for them because they still need you, promising conversion from contractor to regular employee. after 2 years of worked nothing happened all your ambitions and high aims sudden change and all you wants is to get out of the company. A lots of favoritism, politics. if you know how to play you will get your permanency in less than of 1 to 2 years. Manager and supervisors as well as Team leads don't know how to manage the department, long hours of work, working weekends,

Advice to Management

make it a point that everybody work really hard, some people get permanency because of politics and favoritism.

5. Overworked & underpaid -enough said

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Bloom Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hard working, dedicated and world class talent in many areas, such as engineering. Good benefits and PTO.

Cons

Management - particularly in certain critical areas of engineering is extremely poor, full on personal vendettas, back stabbing and petty drama. Priorities shift day to day resulting in a ridiculous waste of money, time and resources, and then underlings have to take the blame and work 15 h days to make up for the mess that VP's and managers caused in the first place. Don't even try to point out whether a project has flaws - depending on the manager, you can even get fired, or at least have a very bad review coming your way.

I personally think that CEO is overrated, and very unfocused in creating a consistent vision for the company. I believe that he has drank to much of his own Kool-aid as a visionary that will change the world, when in fact, this technology relies in NG, that is extracted via fracking, an extremely polluting process. So a lot of green-washing to say the least.

Also, there are way too many managers and VP's, as positions were created when hot hires requested their buddy, golf pal or neighbor to join as well as a condition to switch jobs to BE.

Pay is low, considering that poor project planning results in 12+h/days. High stress, poor communication, non-existent training for new employees. Avoid!

Advice to Management

Focus on being a niche company first, were the premium for distributed energy looks attractive,and then focus on mass producing it. I would seriously review company structure. as it seems bloated and ineffective, and made to serve interest groups within the company

6. Venomous Company

Current Employee - Supply Chain/Ops in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Supply Chain/Ops in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. Hard working employees and contractors (18+ hours per day)

Cons

Leadership:
    1. Nepotism and preferential treatment of Engineering to the exclusion of all other teams
    2. God-complex of engineering to the point of infallibility
    3. Darwinian culture and values
    4. Prevaricators
    5. Intellectual Elitism/bullying

Advice to Management

They are God! They don't listen to advice!

I excelled once I started playing dirty

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Bloom Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Kool-Aid tastes good at first. If you begin to adopt underhanded ways to sabotage your fellow co-workers like I did you will be promoted. People outside of the company drank the 60 minutes Kool-Aid too, and Bloom on a resume has some benefit, deserved or not. The company seems to be well-positioned politically, which may prevent the company from outright crashing. For getting ahead: information hoarding works, badmouthing and exploiting your fellow employee works, character assassination too. Once you realize this is how it is run from the top, you can align your values accordingly and advance. You can spend your time on this approach for success and let others worry about the "work".

Cons

The bad guys are running the show here. The Green Tech facade is a crock, these are natural gas generators and far from exotic. The culture within is rotten to the core, exhibiting toxic behavior indicative of companies far older and longer corrupt. The pay is well below industry standard, exploiting employee's belief they are 'contributing to the world'. Employees in India are also payed below industry standard, which is completely unnecessary as they work for a fraction of the salary of US employees. Nepotism and general favoritism is rampant too, no surprise.

Advice to Management

Hurry up and IPO already. Keep lying to the investors to keep the stock price afloat so I can cash out.

Excellent Managment. People, and work enviroment. Not great compensation...

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Hardworking people in engineering, and excellent management interms of getting things done. The atmosphere is always fun. Exciting projects and always challenged.

Cons

Normally work Long Hours to get the job done, due to not enough personel. Clear project deffinitions are sometimes lacking. Compensation is below average.

Advice to Management

Exllent Managers when it comes to helping me get the job done, however project priorities shift weekly, which can be frustrating. Resolving conflictng priorities between departments is needed.

Gave it my all helping them achieve success - all forgotten and booted out by new management.

Former Employee - Materials in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Materials in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Bloom Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was exciting at first to be working for a clean-energy company making a product that is less damaging to the environment than traditional power generation equipment. They seemed to care about people once I was brought into the inner-sanctum (converted from contract to regular employee). Kept me employed throughout the recession.

Cons

Original core of creative thinkers and doers throughout the company are being replaced with ex-auto industry workers, especially in management. The dream has not been realized. A lot of talk but not much action from these folks. It's all about them and the show they are putting on for each other. They don't care about the people under them and seem to have particular disdain for the long time original Bloom employees. The company is also heavily reliant on contract employees. You can work there for years as a contractor while they dangle the "regular-employee" carrot under your nose. Then if you, by some miracle actually get converted, you find out it really isn't all that, except for the good medical, dental, eye care, etc., benefits that everyone needs and deserves.

Advice to Management

Remember the employees who believed in the mission and got you where you are today. They toiled long and hard working ridiculous amounts of overtime to successfully launch an exciting product. The excitement of the early days is disappearing and you are becoming just A company that makes A product.

10. Exciting Energy Player

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Freedom to engage fully into the work, and engaging atmosphere. Lots of room to grow and good quality employees to collaborate with.

Cons

Expect to work long hours, but the reward is there if the company succeeds in its ambitious goals.

Great product, difficult work environment

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Change the world potential; amazing technology. Some very smart folks around.

Cons

Senior management has no empathy for the employees, sense of arrogance. Scientists sometimes neglect the basics of running a business.

Advice to Management

Listen more. Less focus on VIPs, more focus on running the business.