Bloom Energy Reviews

Reset
1.7
Bloom Energy Principal Co-Founder & CEO K.R. Sridhar
K.R. Sridhar

Pros
  • Interesting vision and mission, smart people (in 5 reviews)

• The technology is cutting edge and fascinating to see develop (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Normally work Long Hours to get the job done, due to not enough personel (in 8 reviews)

• Senior management does not try to find truth and assumes saying something is the same as being able to accomplish it (in 3 reviews)

1. Mechanical Technician

Former Employee - Mechanical Technician in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Technician in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

They paid good and they are Start Up and green company. More room to grow.

Cons

Its hard to be converted from being a contractual to be permanent employee. Some work there for more than 5 years but not being converted to permanent status. I guess politics does exist in that company.

Advice to Management

Investigate Plant managers regarding converted and non-converted employees who works hard for more than 5 years but still a contract employees.

Future look dark

Current Employee - Manufacturing Leader in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Leader in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time

Pros

A lot of nice and smart coworker. The pay scale is decent for the kind of work we do. Good learning experience.

Cons

I been here a couple of years and I never have seen it this bad. Company is shutdown every month and force to use PTO. We have a lot of layoff lately and everyone is on edge. We don't have that much work anymore and it been really slow. Future is unclear....

Great engineering teams, poor company culture / compensation

Former Intern - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Intern - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Bloom Energy as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the specific engineering teams were fantastic: highly intelligent people that were fun to be around. My mentor was fantastic and helped me learn an immense amount that summer, and I have nothing but kind things to say about the entire team I was working for. Plus, you're working on a really cool piece of technology.

Cons

Compensation was below market value. LOTS of office politics. IPO was always "in 6 months" - this was true several years ago, and it's true today. Terrible work life balance.

Advice to Management

Some in-office perks (snacks, etc) would go a long way. Also, treat the contractors better! The contractors / part time employees were in constant fear of sudden, out of the blue layoffs.

Could Be Better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time

Pros

Most of my cowoker are bright and easy to get along with. I work at Moffett field building but get sent around to other building to work. The pay is decent for the type of work you due.

Cons

It's a good place to work but there are WAY to many family member working there. Most of my coworker end up leaving cause of that reason. When it come to layoff time everyone is nervous because don't matter how good you are work blood is thicker than water. This place would so much better with a better management team.

6. Staff engineer

Current Employee - Director in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart and dedicated employees Excellent business perspective Strong CEO that took excellent care of money matters and set correct directions for company

Cons

Sometimes we move slower due to bureaucracy CTO has too much power

Advice to Management

Balance power among senior management

Technician

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Mountain View, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Bloom Energy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting paid every week and getting to know new people. Most of my coworker are friendly and easy to get along.

Cons

I work at moffett field in mountain view CA. Where I work there are many family member working there. It seems everyone that works there have a brother, brother in law or uncle working at the same building. They lay off a lot of good employee while keeping there own. After you work there for awhile people tend to figure it out and start looking for new jobs else where.

8. Future not clear

Former Employee - Test Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Bloom Energy full-time

Pros

Place is full of good talent.

Cons

Uncertain if the company will relocate.

Advice to Management

Big mistake opening a company on the East Coast.

Very bright people, especially in engineering. Pitiful management and lofty mission statement is really a facade.

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Bloom is blessed with a lot of talented, passionate people who really care about making a difference and routinely pull off amazing feats.

Cons

Decisions are made top-down with essentially no input taken from engineers and operations personnel. Management structure and mentorship are almost totally absent. Short term, cost-cutting decisions by management cause long-term, expensive consequences.

Advice to Management

Take advice from the people at the ground level, balance out engineering with operations, stop relying on contract labor and offer decent benefits so that employees have a real stake in the company.

Stay Away!

Former Employee - Senior Manager, Manufacturing in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager, Manufacturing in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Bloom Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Challenging Workplace; interesting technology, high level peers to work with

Cons

No clear goals; upper management will look who to blame; employee turnover is one of the highest I've seen

Advice to Management

Keep clear goals and stop the back stabbing!

You can see all the telltale signs that Bloom is just a sinking ship at this point

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Bloom Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I left this place a year ago after I went to company all hands and heard the CEO talking. I applied to other startups on that same day and was gone in no time. Now the good news is that I hear KR, Bloom CEO, is going to be replaced soon. I think this is the best move to save the company.

Cons

Bad news is that if you join at this point and CEO gets replaced, your shares will drop to one third of the value which may not be bad in the long run.

Advice to Management

Stop selling, start listening!

RSS Feed </> Embed