Bloom Energy Reviews

Reset
1.7
Bloom Energy Principal Co-Founder & CEO K.R. Sridhar
K.R. Sridhar

Pros
  • Interesting vision and mission, smart people (in 5 reviews)

• The technology is cutting edge and fascinating to see develop (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Normally work Long Hours to get the job done, due to not enough personel (in 8 reviews)

• Senior management does not try to find truth and assumes saying something is the same as being able to accomplish it (in 3 reviews)

Great engineering teams, poor company culture / compensation

Former Intern - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Intern - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Bloom Energy as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the specific engineering teams were fantastic: highly intelligent people that were fun to be around. My mentor was fantastic and helped me learn an immense amount that summer, and I have nothing but kind things to say about the entire team I was working for. Plus, you're working on a really cool piece of technology.

Cons

Compensation was below market value. LOTS of office politics. IPO was always "in 6 months" - this was true several years ago, and it's true today. Terrible work life balance.

Advice to Management

Some in-office perks (snacks, etc) would go a long way. Also, treat the contractors better! The contractors / part time employees were in constant fear of sudden, out of the blue layoffs.

2. Staff engineer

Current Employee - Director in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart and dedicated employees Excellent business perspective Strong CEO that took excellent care of money matters and set correct directions for company

Cons

Sometimes we move slower due to bureaucracy CTO has too much power

Advice to Management

Balance power among senior management

3. Future not clear

Former Employee - Test Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Bloom Energy full-time

Pros

Place is full of good talent.

Cons

Uncertain if the company will relocate.

Advice to Management

Big mistake opening a company on the East Coast.

Very bright people, especially in engineering. Pitiful management and lofty mission statement is really a facade.

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Bloom is blessed with a lot of talented, passionate people who really care about making a difference and routinely pull off amazing feats.

Cons

Decisions are made top-down with essentially no input taken from engineers and operations personnel. Management structure and mentorship are almost totally absent. Short term, cost-cutting decisions by management cause long-term, expensive consequences.

Advice to Management

Take advice from the people at the ground level, balance out engineering with operations, stop relying on contract labor and offer decent benefits so that employees have a real stake in the company.

Stay Away!

Former Employee - Senior Manager, Manufacturing in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager, Manufacturing in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Bloom Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Challenging Workplace; interesting technology, high level peers to work with

Cons

No clear goals; upper management will look who to blame; employee turnover is one of the highest I've seen

Advice to Management

Keep clear goals and stop the back stabbing!

You can see all the telltale signs that Bloom is just a sinking ship at this point

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Bloom Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I left this place a year ago after I went to company all hands and heard the CEO talking. I applied to other startups on that same day and was gone in no time. Now the good news is that I hear KR, Bloom CEO, is going to be replaced soon. I think this is the best move to save the company.

Cons

Bad news is that if you join at this point and CEO gets replaced, your shares will drop to one third of the value which may not be bad in the long run.

Advice to Management

Stop selling, start listening!

8. Amazing opportunity to be part of something truly transformative

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Bloom Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some the best and smartest people you will ever work with. Everyone here is a rockstar in their own right. Exciting projects and challenges and you are pioneering something that has never really been done before.

Cons

Long hours are the norm, employee perks and morale boosters are lacking. Compensation is middle of the road.

Advice to Management

Bloom could benefit from activities and perks to motivate and reward the employees that all work very hard to make Bloom successful. Management is also a little top heavy. Promoting a flatter environment could spark more creativity and innovation among the less senior folks.

Exciting product, dictatorial / nepotistic Engineering management style. The magic is gone!

Current Employee - Operations in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great product and exciting option to learn about new technology for a decentralized way to generate power.

Cons

Lots of politics/ backstabbing involved. Need to be friends of the right people (engineering heads) to keep your job, not matter how hard or how committed you are with the company. Long hours, low pay. Nobody is safe in this company.

Advice to Management

Value and care about the basic workforce, including entry-level Engineers and Managers. Engineering, let the CEOs (4 in 4 years?) and develop the future state of this company.

10. Great use of SOFC technology, poor work environment

Former Contractor - Production Associate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Contractor - Production Associate in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Bloom Energy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Cool that you can be on the forefront of a potential life changing technology.

Cons

Politics is expected in most companies, this company is no different to say the least. There are too many unqualified people higher positions because of who they know and not what they know. Expect long and inconsistent work hours. Scheduling is sometimes done last minute.

Advice to Management

Promotions and pay raises should be more systematic and based on merit. Management is out of touch with employees. Most employees are contractors so speaking up is not an option unless they have another job lined up

11. Worked in sustaining engineering support?

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Bloom Energy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting, innovative fuel cell application.

Cons

Too much politics in middle management.

Advice to Management

None to help.

RSS Feed </> Embed