BloomReach Reviews

Reset
4.6
Raj De Datta

Just another outsourcing shop

Former Employee - Engineering, Member of Technical Staff in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Engineering, Member of Technical Staff in Bangalore (India)

I worked at BloomReach full-time

Pros

Lots of free time, great work-life balance, no pressure of deadlines. Excellent compensation and perks. Flat org hierarchy. Decent product which is growing at a steady pace. Managers are useless so in one sense it's a positive. Very talented people drawn mostly from Google, Amazon and Microsoft.

Cons

The Bangalore office is just another outsourcing center for the US entity. There are very few systems and stacks that are owned out of Bangalore and very little innovation happens here. Last I knew, the company was moving towards consolidating all the software stacks in the US and letting teams located in Bangalore use them as a remote service - just like you would use the facebook or twitter api to build simple applications. The innovation and the hard problems have already been moved out of Bangalore.

There is no scope of people to grow in this office and they are rarely challenged. Read the Bangalore location-specific reviews on Glassdoor. They would tell you a reality that is starkly different from the rest of the company.

Oh, and they may have you believe it's a startup, but the company is a mid-sized one, clocking > 300 employees. Don't fall for the lie. They are also not a product company, more like a solutions provider. So if you're a passionate product guy, stay away.

2. Has exceeded all my expectations - best career move to date

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel extraordinarily lucky to have found such a brilliant company to work at. The challenges that we have solved are very real problems for our clients and as the technology works so well we find ourselves being trusted advisor to most of our customers.

The culture is absolutely brilliant and I am constantly amazed at the enthusiasm of the team not only to do their own jobs...but also to help others and to truly collaborate. We have an inspirational leader and I would walk through brick walls for him.

I cannot wait to see the company continue to grow and enjoy the journey.

Cons

We move fast and so we occasionally run into problems because of that but most other organisations probably wish that they could innovate as quickly as we do, so its not a massive negative.

Occasional challenges remain about working in one of the remote offices (not head office in Mountain View) but this is really a small challenge.

Advice to Management

Keep inspiring us and leading by example. This is a great company that deserves to grow and be recognised as a success.

3. Best career move I made

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The team is top notch so I can learn a ton, great motivation to go into the office every day.
    - The company's management thinks carefully about each major decision and impact to employees, they show they truly care.
    - Truly transparent, no drama culture - everyone shows up to work ready to solve problems.
    - Global offices - as of today Bangalore, London, NYC and Mountain View - makes it fun to collaborate cross geo.

Cons

- It's a very intense team, which at times means long hours working on figuring out one thing.
    - Global offices can also be a challenge, extra effort required to just stay in the loop.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on ensuring there are great career opportunities and mentors for each individual at the company. Good mentoring is critical to retaining top talent.

5. Phenomenal team and fun place to work

I worked at BloomReach full-time

Pros

great teammates, super smart, humble, and willingness to learn

Cons

Not as much career development in place but they are fixing that

6. Mostly positive developer experience, but bad management

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at BloomReach

Pros

1. Opportunity to work on multiple latest technologies like Hadoop, Solr, Cassandra, etc.
    2. Highly skilled employees to work with.
    3. Dynamic work environment with very low resistance to new ideas and implementations.

Cons

1. The work can get stressful with a lot of roles and responsibilities to share in a startup environment.
    2. Bangalore in particular adds to the stress due to chaos and traffic in the city and with no places to hangout and de-stress.

Advice to Management

Employ managers who are empathetic and not dictatorial.

Awesome culture and place to work at!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible work culture, smart people, collaborative colleagues who are passionate about what they do, awesome products that are AMAZING and WORK, and incredible customers that everyone knows and shops from. We're growing but still maintaining "the good ol' days" kind of feeling - our culture is our mission here. We're not policy driven and everyone gets to make a difference. We respect everyone and we learn from everyone. This is the place where everyone from the executive leadership all the way down works together.

My own team is a dream. I don't have to deal with any drama, and even though I'm the "newbie" they take my thoughts and ideas into consideration and are willing to change things immediately (no "let's think about it" or sense that they really don't want to hear what you have to say). I feel very grateful for having great colleagues who seem to really value me and respect me. It makes me enjoy working hard but still have fun!

Cons

When I come up with some, I'll be sure to let you know. Everything I've suggested, they're willing to look into and agree that it should be updated/changed. How's that! I actually get to contribute (even though everyone always says they want to do that....but here it actually happens).

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome and approachable and it's really cool to see you guys working right alongside everyone. I don't have to "fear" talking to you.

Brilliant coworkers, very hardworking and motivated team

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at BloomReach full-time

Pros

Open office layout is refreshing, although may be bothersome for some so you may want good headphones to block out noise

Company culture is very open and trusting, the team is very hardworking and you get to work with some of the most talented people you have met.

Cons

Salaries are lower than for similar jobs (based on amount of work)

Awesome company to work for

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Solving really tough problems in e-commerce space
    2) No drama policy
    3) People are really smart and helpful
    4) You get to work on lot of technologies

Cons

Build fast resulting in hacks for customer issues.

Advice to Management

None

Awesome culture, really interesting problems

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

What I love most about working here is the problems we're solving- definitely some of the coolest technical challenges I've been exposed to. Plus, there are tech talks held regularly in our "Wreck room" by fellow BloomReachers- it's nice to have experts in so many interesting fields working here.

Aside from that, we have the standard startup perks, fun culture, nice pay and fast growth.

Cons

There are a bunch of couches and unused conference rooms throughout the office- some people are never at their desk when you need them so you have to do a lap around the office and The Wreck Room to see where they're hiding. Slightly annoying but workable.

And the caltrain station is a 15 minute walk, not 10!

I think the main reason there aren't very many cons listed in these reviews is that everyone's constantly encouraged to work on fixing the problems they see with the company. Employee participation and decision making is emphasized here more than I've seen at other companies.

Amazing technology, smart people and happy customers

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a very sharp group of people tackling challenging problems. Largely free of drama and egos (and literally no politics). The rapid growth the company is going through and the pace of innovation are inspiring. And for a startup, there's a great work/life balance.

Cons

Tough place to keep up if you don't like a fast pace. It could also be an intimidating environment if you aren't both intelligent and confident.

Advice to Management

Focus on keeping the culture through a period of fast growth.

RSS Feed </> Embed