Bloomberg BNA Reviews in Arlington, VA

Updated September 22, 2014
2.9

Greg McCaffery

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A once-great company continues its slow decline into mediocrity.

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent benefits thanks to half of the employees being represented by a union. Although I am in management, I receive the same benefits. Many dedicated employees who care about the quality of their work.

Cons

Acquisition by Bloomberg in 2011 is leading to changes in culture. The initial buyout was very beneficial for longtime employees who owned a lot of stock in this former employee-owned company. The Bloomberg people from New York are gradually taking over operations. Top management says this will be a nimble company that will react quickly to changes in the marketplace. The reality is that office politics and a heavy-handed process of managing to Goals and Objectives make this a company that is not very innovative at all.

Rather than continuously encouraging older workers to retire, acknowledge the wealth of experience and knowledge these employees represent and leverage their abilities to grow the company.

Low Pay and No Professional Development

Current Employee - Tax Law Editor  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Tax Law Editor in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy to impress managers with low levels of effort, as most of the older "editors" are not go-getters.

Cons

Company doesn't even pay lip service to professional development.
    Low pay for complexity of work involved.
    No clear direction from management.

Start encouraging employees to acquire new skills.
    Stop letting the "print versions" of products dictate what work should/needs to be done. Start focusing on more efficient real-time updates to electronic platforms.

Horrible morale, middle management gets constantly abused

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Bloomberg BNA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pantry, some coworkers are great to work with

Cons

Working hard and being creative does NOT get you ahead here. This company is the worst in terms of politics and pettiness. This company spends more time reorganizing than producing anything, just to avoid upper management ever having to be accountable for anything. It's all a charade!

In general it's no better than the cliques you find in high school. Upper management holds everyone to different standards than themselves, and the president is the worst! Game playing is the rule, and being a good employee is meaningless. It's a wonder they make any money the way most people here behave.

Roll up your own sleeves and do some work and frankly grow up. Look beyond the butt kissing and really appreciate top who is doing the good work and accomplishing stuff. And stop the constant reorganizing and shuffling the deck chairs on the titanic to hide your horrible management and the fact you don't get results.

I've worked at several companies over fifteen years and this was by far the worst one I've ever worked at with the worst morale!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hostile Work Environment

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

They boast they do not fire. This gives you a secure feeling that you can share your ideas or make mistakes without jeopardizing your job.

Cons

There is no project management methodology everyone just does things their own way. The work is done in cylos and there's too much competition and not enough shared ideas or processes. Employees are expected to work day and night including holidays and weekends to get work done because it's impossible to get it all done during regular hours due to a lack of organization.

They've laid off hundreds of employees over the past few years (since Bloomberg purchased BNA). There are still a lot of employees here who have been around since the actual, "we do not fire" days and they are just trying to hang on until they get their pensions. It's sad, they have the making of a great culture but they quench it and intimidate their employees, these folks have been with this company for decades and now all they can do is compete with new comers.

No new idea is a good idea here so it's not the place for people who are up and coming in their career or established folks who need to keep their skills fresh. For folks who just like to come to work and have no expectations of them, who like the idea of just collecting a check while you keep your head down this is the perfect place for you.

As for my personal experience, I am a contractor so I'm seeing things from the outside looking in. As far as we don't fire I was encouraged to hang in there even thought I complained of having NO meaningful work. I was told, "it will pick up." I brought ideas and completed work to my manager who just ignored the work or took it over as his own, I felt like if it was what he wanted or the got high exposure to do he'd do the work anything he didn't want to do he'd hand to his employees. In the end, unfortunately I let my manager know that I would be out for a few Dr. Appointments (testing - having a cancer scare) a few days later I was let go - "It was nothing you did, we just can't afford to keep you" - Bloomberg, can't afford to keep one contractor. Now I'm losing the Short Term Disability and Life Insurance I need most at this time. This company does not care about people. I got absolutely nothing out of this experience, nothing I can take with me and now I have to hope nothing goes wrong in surgery because I'm losing my Life Insurance and recover with the worry of bills, affording medication, food... because I lost my Short Term Disability and I have to look for a new job while going though the most horrible time of my life.

If you must fire, fire all of the management and start fresh. This is not progress.

Easy interview

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Short and to the point, they had a nice pantry to sit in and get a cup of coffee or snack

Cons

After getting in the door I found out my skills way surpassed what they wanted from me.

Don't hire a Sr. level employee for entry level work. Entry level folks can actually use this type of experience. Sr. Level folks really need to keep their skills fresh.

Great company, lots of history, lots of energy

Current Employee - Associate Manager  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time for less than a year

Pros

High expectations, high reward
    Great resources and encouragement for trying new things
    Focused on the big picture
    Well-respected brand and products to work with

Cons

Crystal City is not as exciting as downtown DC
    Big company, complex/unweildly systems for website, HR, accounting, ect.
    Lots of different divisions, don't always know what other areas of the company are working on

Marketing Project Coordinator - Temp

Current Employee - Marketing Project Coordinator  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Marketing Project Coordinator in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, great compensation, good location, great resources for employees

Cons

Emergency Closing Policy (does not close for weather conditions) can make commute worse

Good and Promising

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you're willing to put in the time and take some risks, BNA could be a very good place to work.

Cons

BNA is an older company and to get some work done requires some patience, if you have some things will happen for you.

Integrate employees beyond the director level in projects

Good experience, but a few putrid apples spoiling the bunch

Former Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at Bloomberg BNA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

great exposure to technology
    benefits were good at the time
    the union

Cons

too political. if you have a "bad" manager, life is hell, hell, hell. some areas discriminate against whoever is not like the majority in group: if it is mostly female, it's bad to be male, mostly gay it's bad to be gayer than straight acting gays, mostly older it's bad to be younger, etc.

the salary is too low for IT employees. They can easily do better elsewhere.

it is hard to see how you can move from the mailroom to CEO. no clear career path, even though advancement is possible. Many people are stuck at the upper middle grades, however.

Pay people what they are worth. Pay to keep good talent and reward the managers who work hard. Some managers really want to do right by the company but feel their hands are tied. Do something about the cronyism because it is not a good look. And get those free health benefits back, if possible.

Great people. Stimulating environment.

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time for less than a year

Pros

Due to the nature of the company, there is a high concentration of folks with upper level degrees. Subject matter experts in tax, accounting and regulatory affairs, I have the privilege of working in a highly intellectual environment. Benefits and vacation time are generous, while office extras like fresh fruit, snacks, cereal, milk, juice and coffee of plentiful. There are also a lot of opportunities for professional development and social interaction with the company softball team and a local Toastmasters chapter.

Cons

There will always be downsides to go with the upsides, but the upsides far outweigh the downsides. For this company, the biggest downside has to do with some of the legacy heritage from being employee owned. Understanding the necessity of investment in technology and product development will go a long way to staying ahead of the competition. There is a movement forward in this respect, but it will take time.

Understand the competitive landscape. . . . not just the competitor, but emerging technologies, changes in the industry and environment. Invest in areas that will pay off in the long term. It's no longer about the short term gains.

Worked for Bloomberg BNA? Contribute to the Community!