Bloomberg BNA

Updated November 27, 2014
Updated November 27, 2014
2.9

Greg McCaffery

Pros
  • Can't beat Bloomberg BNA's work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Pays relatively well and has good benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, not much room for advancement (in 5 reviews)

• There was absolutely no opportunity for advancement (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

24 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Company, Good People, and some perks

Former Employee - Legal Editor in Arlington, VA

I worked at Bloomberg BNA as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Solid Management that offers great guidance to junior team members. Good perks including spacious offices, a full pantry offering snacks and beverages available to employees free of charge, situated above the crystal city underground mall making it easy to get to even in rough weather.

Cons

6 month trial period during which you could be let go for any reason. I worked as a summer employee so this was not a problem for me, but I did watch someone get fired while I was there just weeks shy of the end of the trial period and with almost no indication there was any problem.

Great company all around

I worked at Bloomberg BNA as a contractor

Pros

The snack pantry is a blessing and a curse.

Cons

If you're a contractor/temp it may take a while to be hired full-time

A once-great company could be great again

Former Employee - Editor-Writer III in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Editor-Writer III in Arlington, VA

I worked at Bloomberg BNA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Bloomberg BNA employs a lot of smart people. Most editorial employees have a solid understanding of very specialized topics -- benefits and pension law, environment safety and health regulation, trade regulation and tax codes -- sometimes better than officials or practitioners. Developers, marketers and programmers, who for many years did a lot with few resources, now have the support of the new parent company, Bloomberg, L.P. I see great opportunities for people with the talent and motivation to seize them.

Cons

Bloomberg BNA is in the midst of a transition as it becomes a part of the Bloomberg family. The challenge is to retain and enhance what's best about Bloomberg BNA and wed that to what's best about Bloomberg, L.P. However, there are potential obstacles: 1) a "We've always done it this way" attitude of some long-time Bloomberg BNA employees and 2) an inability of Bloomberg, L.P. leadership to distinguish between when the company has been smart and when it simply was lucky.

More closely observe morale and work culture. Work to reconcile conflicting work cultures and styles. Invest in team-building, especially across departments working on the same product(s). Better explain company values and visions as well as corporate strategy so that employees can understand what those mean for them.

Educational company with great values

I worked at Bloomberg BNA as an intern

Pros

Friendly work environment, great work/life balance. Good company and starting to modernize due to the Bloomberg buyout

Cons

There seems to be a tension between the BNA and Bloomberg way of doing things that was still being figured out, but it seemed to be coming together.

Low Pay and No Professional Development

Current Employee - Tax Law Editor in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Tax Law Editor in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to impress managers with low levels of effort, as most of the older "editors" are not go-getters.

Cons

Company doesn't even pay lip service to professional development.
    Low pay for complexity of work involved.
    No clear direction from management.

Start encouraging employees to acquire new skills.
    Stop letting the "print versions" of products dictate what work should/needs to be done. Start focusing on more efficient real-time updates to electronic platforms.

A once-great company continues its slow decline into mediocrity.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits thanks to half of the employees being represented by a union. Although I am in management, I receive the same benefits. Many dedicated employees who care about the quality of their work.

Cons

Acquisition by Bloomberg in 2011 is leading to changes in culture. The initial buyout was very beneficial for longtime employees who owned a lot of stock in this former employee-owned company. The Bloomberg people from New York are gradually taking over operations. Top management says this will be a nimble company that will react quickly to changes in the marketplace. The reality is that office politics and a heavy-handed process of managing to Goals and Objectives make this a company that is not very innovative at all.

Rather than continuously encouraging older workers to retire, acknowledge the wealth of experience and knowledge these employees represent and leverage their abilities to grow the company.

Horrible morale, middle management gets constantly abused

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Bloomberg BNA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pantry, some coworkers are great to work with

Cons

Working hard and being creative does NOT get you ahead here. This company is the worst in terms of politics and pettiness. This company spends more time reorganizing than producing anything, just to avoid upper management ever having to be accountable for anything. It's all a charade!

In general it's no better than the cliques you find in high school. Upper management holds everyone to different standards than themselves, and the president is the worst! Game playing is the rule, and being a good employee is meaningless. It's a wonder they make any money the way most people here behave.

Roll up your own sleeves and do some work and frankly grow up. Look beyond the butt kissing and really appreciate top who is doing the good work and accomplishing stuff. And stop the constant reorganizing and shuffling the deck chairs on the titanic to hide your horrible management and the fact you don't get results.

I've worked at several companies over fifteen years and this was by far the worst one I've ever worked at with the worst morale!

Hostile Work Environment

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They boast they do not fire. This gives you a secure feeling that you can share your ideas or make mistakes without jeopardizing your job.

Cons

There is no project management methodology everyone just does things their own way. The work is done in cylos and there's too much competition and not enough shared ideas or processes. Employees are expected to work day and night including holidays and weekends to get work done because it's impossible to get it all done during regular hours due to a lack of organization.

They've laid off hundreds of employees over the past few years (since Bloomberg purchased BNA). There are still a lot of employees here who have been around since the actual, "we do not fire" days and they are just trying to hang on until they get their pensions. It's sad, they have the making of a great culture but they quench it and intimidate their employees, these folks have been with this company for decades and now all they can do is compete with new comers.

No new idea is a good idea here so it's not the place for people who are up and coming in their career or established folks who need to keep their skills fresh. For folks who just like to come to work and have no expectations of them, who like the idea of just collecting a check while you keep your head down this is the perfect place for you.

As for my personal experience, I am a contractor so I'm seeing things from the outside looking in. As far as we don't fire I was encouraged to hang in there even thought I complained of having NO meaningful work. I was told, "it will pick up." I brought ideas and completed work to my manager who just ignored the work or took it over as his own, I felt like if it was what he wanted or the got high exposure to do he'd do the work anything he didn't want to do he'd hand to his employees. In the end, unfortunately I let my manager know that I would be out for a few Dr. Appointments (testing - having a cancer scare) a few days later I was let go - "It was nothing you did, we just can't afford to keep you" - Bloomberg, can't afford to keep one contractor. Now I'm losing the Short Term Disability and Life Insurance I need most at this time. This company does not care about people. I got absolutely nothing out of this experience, nothing I can take with me and now I have to hope nothing goes wrong in surgery because I'm losing my Life Insurance and recover with the worry of bills, affording medication, food... because I lost my Short Term Disability and I have to look for a new job while going though the most horrible time of my life.

If you must fire, fire all of the management and start fresh. This is not progress.

Easy interview

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Short and to the point, they had a nice pantry to sit in and get a cup of coffee or snack

Cons

After getting in the door I found out my skills way surpassed what they wanted from me.

Don't hire a Sr. level employee for entry level work. Entry level folks can actually use this type of experience. Sr. Level folks really need to keep their skills fresh.

Great company, lots of history, lots of energy

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

High expectations, high reward
    Great resources and encouragement for trying new things
    Focused on the big picture
    Well-respected brand and products to work with

Cons

Crystal City is not as exciting as downtown DC
    Big company, complex/unweildly systems for website, HR, accounting, ect.
    Lots of different divisions, don't always know what other areas of the company are working on

Bloomberg BNA Photos

Food, drink and collaboration are always available
Bloomberg BNA's booth at the American Association of Law Libraries annual conference

+ Add Photo