Bloomberg BNA Reviews

Updated October 27, 2014
Updated October 27, 2014
2.7

Greg McCaffery

A once-great company could be great again

Former Employee - Editor-Writer III in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Editor-Writer III in Arlington, VA

I worked at Bloomberg BNA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Bloomberg BNA employs a lot of smart people. Most editorial employees have a solid understanding of very specialized topics -- benefits and pension law, environment safety and health regulation, trade regulation and tax codes -- sometimes better than officials or practitioners. Developers, marketers and programmers, who for many years did a lot with few resources, now have the support of the new parent company, Bloomberg, L.P. I see great opportunities for people with the talent and motivation to seize them.

Cons

Bloomberg BNA is in the midst of a transition as it becomes a part of the Bloomberg family. The challenge is to retain and enhance what's best about Bloomberg BNA and wed that to what's best about Bloomberg, L.P. However, there are potential obstacles: 1) a "We've always done it this way" attitude of some long-time Bloomberg BNA employees and 2) an inability of Bloomberg, L.P. leadership to distinguish between when the company has been smart and when it simply was lucky.

More closely observe morale and work culture. Work to reconcile conflicting work cultures and styles. Invest in team-building, especially across departments working on the same product(s). Better explain company values and visions as well as corporate strategy so that employees can understand what those mean for them.

It's Okay

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working from home; okay salary

Cons

A lot of politics; customer service is very poor; merging into a larger company so a lot unknown; morale is generally very low

It's gone totally corporate

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

co-workers are smart and the work can be interesting- mostly it all depends on who you work for.

Cons

the company has new lists of "values" - we are innovation and ambitious, we work collaboratively, we move fast and thoughtfully. Really? Meaningless blather - a value used to be that we/they were "transparent" - now that is no longer a value since basically everyone realized it was too ridiculous to continue as orders come down from on high and pretty much bear no relation to reality. It's not even particularly clear that the point is to make money as, if it were, why pass out potato chips in the pantry and spend $20,000 on wall paper outside the pantry lauding our dubious achievements. Or redecorate all the floors of the building in "open" seating with fish that keep dying. What lawyer wants to sit in open seating listening to all their neighbors while they try to make sense of and report on a case in tax law or intellectual property? Everyone speaks in corporate nonsense. The saddest thing is that they actually do not know their customers - as the BLAW product shows. Really what lawyers are searching case law by ticker symbol? Lawyers search case law by topics of law but you really can not search BLAW but you can by ticker symbol.

actually follow some of the values - do know your customers instead of preaching to them. Actually work collaboratively instead of pushing stuff from the top down. Hey, lead by example and do the right thing - actually talk real talk instead of the latest business buzzwords.

Educational company with great values

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Bloomberg BNA as an intern

Pros

Friendly work environment, great work/life balance. Good company and starting to modernize due to the Bloomberg buyout

Cons

There seems to be a tension between the BNA and Bloomberg way of doing things that was still being figured out, but it seemed to be coming together.

Low Pay and No Professional Development

Current Employee - Tax Law Editor in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Tax Law Editor in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to impress managers with low levels of effort, as most of the older "editors" are not go-getters.

Cons

Company doesn't even pay lip service to professional development.
    Low pay for complexity of work involved.
    No clear direction from management.

Start encouraging employees to acquire new skills.
    Stop letting the "print versions" of products dictate what work should/needs to be done. Start focusing on more efficient real-time updates to electronic platforms.

Solid management and a great company overall

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time

Pros

Can't beat Bloomberg BNA's work/life balance. Management wants employees to flourish.

Cons

Some processes exist that aren't necessary.

Solid Company starting to lose the values that made it strong.

Former Employee - Editor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Editor in Washington, DC

I worked at Bloomberg BNA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company provide excellent benefits due to the presence of a strong union. The union presence also provides for a grievance procedure to work out most management-employee conflicts. Employees have tremendous loyalty and work ethic. The news and reference products produce are the best in the field due to the company placing high value on accuracy and balanced reporting. The infusion of Bloomberg's technology investments is resulting in innovative web products that assure strong growth in the coming years.

Cons

The downside of Bloomberg buying BNA is the infection of a cut-throat culture in upper management that views long-term experienced employees as an expense and not an asset. A harsh, punitive, sink-or-swim attitude is beginning to take hold, especially in the HR processes, which seem to favor new, young employees. Top leadership in the parent company seems to be working to break the union.

Low Pay and Poor Management

Former Employee - Tax Law Editor
    Former Employee - Tax Law Editor

I worked at Bloomberg BNA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The other Tax Law Editors were all nice and intelligent people. It was a great group of co-workers.

Cons

1) The pay was very low. The company constantly bragged about its great benefits. But I left BNA for a comparable position where the benefits are the same and I make significantly more money.

2) There was a constant tension between management and the union. As a result, management saw every employee that passed probation as a liability.

3) There was absolutely no opportunity for advancement. There was only one manager per team and the people holding those positions weren't going anywhere.

4) Even if the company was terrific, it wasn't an ideal job for lawyers because you never get the opportunity to practice law or have clients. It was a copy editor position.

5) Management was ineffective and seemed content to just let the position be a revolving door of people. Management is constantly hiring for this position because people are constantly leaving, not because the team is expanding. Management would rather let this happen than invest in its people.

Pay people more money. A pantry with free cereal and snacks doesn't compensate for the well below market pay. Don't let your issues with the union effect the workplace culture.

No one is happy there

I worked at Bloomberg BNA full-time

Pros

Really the name is about all it has going for it anymore. It looks good on a resume.

Cons

The company is very disorganized and systems and processes are archaic. Upper management has no real sense of a true plan to move the company forward. They change their mind day to day. Trying to get anything done or changed was very frustrating--constant hurdles everywhere. Too many people too entrenched in their jobs and not willing to change. Once those people get removed, the Bloomberg people coming in don't want to do any actual work, dumping more on the few who do.

Bloomberg is taking over and converting all the current offices into huge open cube farms with no privacy and space between people. There are also cameras watching all the time. No thanks, I don't need 24/7 monitoring. I started working there right before the buyout, so I felt duped when a couple months after I started it was purchased and all the benefits I'd been promised as an employee-owned company went away. One of the worst places I have ever worked. I grew up in DC and always wanted to work at BNA. Be careful what you wish for . . . was very happy to get out.

Place more value on those who work hard and produce. Get rid of people who are bad for business and morale. Stop changing your minds and restructuring. Stop wasting money on converting the office into the Bloomberg open office concept--what is the purpose of wasting millions of dollars when people are happy the way it is with offices? With the open seating there is no privacy and cameras. We are adults who can work without big brother watching all the time. Why don't you take the money and instead invest in more modern systems/software that will better serve the employees and ultimately the customers? Fix the hundreds of bandaids that exist now and barely hold the company together.

A once-great company continues its slow decline into mediocrity.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits thanks to half of the employees being represented by a union. Although I am in management, I receive the same benefits. Many dedicated employees who care about the quality of their work.

Cons

Acquisition by Bloomberg in 2011 is leading to changes in culture. The initial buyout was very beneficial for longtime employees who owned a lot of stock in this former employee-owned company. The Bloomberg people from New York are gradually taking over operations. Top management says this will be a nimble company that will react quickly to changes in the marketplace. The reality is that office politics and a heavy-handed process of managing to Goals and Objectives make this a company that is not very innovative at all.

Rather than continuously encouraging older workers to retire, acknowledge the wealth of experience and knowledge these employees represent and leverage their abilities to grow the company.

Bloomberg BNA Photos

Food, drink and collaboration are always available
Bloomberg BNA's booth at the American Association of Law Libraries annual conference

+ Add Photo