Bloomberg L.P.

Bloomberg L.P. Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Bloomberg L.P. President and CEO Dan Doctoroff

Dan Doctoroff

Pros
  • When free food is the bigger pro you can think of, there isn't much to like about(in 155 reviews)

• great work life balance - like being in school though (in at 8 on the dot and out at 6)(in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work-life balance; Peter Principle in effect company-wide; generally chaotic(in 31 reviews)

• Mandatory, long hours for busy work (8a - 6p); lots of posturing(in 71 reviews)

529 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Development practices are being modernized.. You can make a difference..

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Many people have commented that there is a lot of legacy code and outdated practices. This is true, however, since upper management within R&D has been shaken up, a large amount of investment is being made in infrastructure and dev practices.
    - The talent level (at least within my team) is absolutely top-notch.
    - Difficult and interesting problems.
    - If you don't like your team, you can move every 18 months.
    - Very flat hierarchy.
    - BDE software development methodology.
    - Amazing guest sparkers.
    - Increasing it's contributions to the open source world (see BDE on Github)
    - The compensation is good if you are seen as a top performer.
    - Great health care

I'm very happy to work for a organization that cares as much about it's employees as Bloomberg. I think the company is on a positive trajectory, and the best is yet to come.

Cons- There is a incredible amount of legacy code. Much is old fortran and C.
    - Steep learning curve.
    - You'll be capped at four weeks off. I'm not certain, but I think the whole company gets 4 weeks off.
    - The high talent level, means if you are looking to be a manager, it'll take a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in developer productivity and training. At least within my team, there is always more work to be done then could ever get done. Our project management and bug tracking systems could really use some TLC. Also, we build software like complete amateurs, we should invest in better build management tools. We could also use better automated testing frameworks and facilities. Improvements are being made, it would just be nice to have a greater emphasis placed on unit and acceptance testing.

Bloomberg News LP

Technical Director (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat management, greta staff, great company.

ConsNo Cons, I had to leave bc of relocation. This is a great company to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing.

A company that cares for its employees

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat Health care benefits ,

ConsVery fast paced and dynamic environment

Advice to Senior Managementwork life balance , have parallel alternatives for personal growth

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bloomberg is a great kickstart to ones career.

Data Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat experience, benefits are awesome, working from home was

ConsThe work became somewhat repetitive and boring.

You'll learn the ropes, but probably grow out of it quickly

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe pay is solid, benefits are unreal, and the vacation is great.

ConsThe technology is dated, the purpose of your work limited. As an employee of the r&d team chances are all you will be doing is executing ideas from the business manager with little input.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions appear to be from tenure not from ability. Outdated software means employees eventually realize the skills they are learning won't easily translate into a new company, so you are faced with the decision of becoming a lifer or moving on.

OK place to start, but move out quickly

Financial Software Developer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsDecent training, good name on resume, good introduction

ConsPoor culture, work is not intellectually stimulating, some of the code is very old

Generally a positive experience, different groups and departments have vastly different ethos and your mileage may vary.

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsIf you do well, and have a supportive team leader and manager, they are very quick to give you more responsibility. Once you are established as a solid team player, there are many opportunities for growth, educational reimbursements and slow but steady raises.

ConsSome teams are decidedly better than others, ranging from a bunch of very competent folks that would do well almost anywhere, to other teams which seem to be what's left after years of the cream of the crop skimming off to other places. You are not allowed to actively trade, and moonlight coding for open source projects is if not discouraged, at least made quite tedious and difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend a little less time making internal videos and producing new internal "awards", and spend a little more time regularly chatting with every employee outside of the lines of reporting.

Good Environment

Administrator (Current Employee) New York, NY

Proscompany values loyalty and longevity. Promotes health and balance of work/personal life

ConsAt times it can create an environment that leaves something to be desired. competition, and infighting.

Great place to work if you don't need flexibility

Editor (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsExcellent benefits, lots of opportunities for advancement if you put in the hours and get results. People who work here are very smart, driven and competitive.

ConsNot flexible for working parents. Great right out of school but fewer opportunities for mid-career advancement. Few women in management roles and few women promoted or encouraged to seek leadership positions.

no career growth there

Software Development Engineer (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosgood salary for new graduates

Consno career growth, every team working on 2 -3 functions, people's knowledge of finance is limited in small area, so it will be very hard to get job from other finance company like investment bank, hedge fund if you stay in Bloomberg for too long time.
    The tech Bloomberg use is very old, it's extremely difficult to find a job in high tech company if you stay in Bloomberg for more than 3 years.

Advice to Senior Managementless politic battles focus on product development.
    Hire people who can coding not those who know talking more than coding.

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!