Bloomberg L.P. Reviews in New York City, NY

3.4
1,173 Reviews

Bloomberg L.P. President and CEO Dan Doctoroff
Dan Doctoroff

Pros
  • great work life balance - like being in school though (in at 8 on the dot and out at 6) (in 59 reviews)

• When free food is the bigger pro you can think of, there isn't much to like about (in 164 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work-life balance; Peter Principle in effect company-wide; generally chaotic (in 32 reviews)

• Long hours, for a account manager to work 8-6 plus travel, this is rather demanding (in 72 reviews)

More Highlights

558 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Place to work!

Current Employee - Electronic Trading Implementation  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Electronic Trading Implementation in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, open floor, approachable management

Cons

Pay a little below market

A Company with IT friendliness and Wall Street charm

Former Employee - Quant Researcher  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Quant Researcher in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as an intern for less than a year

Pros

It's great to work at a place that has free snack that are "BWELL approved", beautiful offices, and amazing story behind it. Many people are motivated and great at what they do.
    For interns, there are many interesting and fun events throughout the summer.

Cons

The following might have happened me somewhere else too, but it still should not happen.

- First of all, I was the first female being in the history of my group; the HR group (all girls) was close to us. I received multiple warnings from different HRs saying that I dress in a way that draws too much attention of my male colleagues. Also, they were often rumoring about some girl saying that "Apparently, she is very smart, but...". Anytime I needed a confirmation of employment for landlords, or something like that, all of them but one could find a reason why they could not help me.
    So, if you dare to be a girl in finance / tech and look healthy, be aware that it's a crime on the eyes of HRs, because they have to do shopping online while you're coding.

- Obviously, the problem above won't apply to everyone. The company is huge, and has multiple divisions (Research & Development, Sales & Analytics, News, etc.) that operate almost independently. So, as an any sufficiently large sample of people, you can find some parasites on the system. I don't want to give specific names and provide more specific information, because I don't want to be identified. I happened to be in a group whose boss is a good friend with the guy who takes care of financing projects. Even though our group's "project" was essentially research on previous research, 15 people were still paid to work on it.

Make sure that you are employing people who still are working. Also, if you care so much about making Wall Street a fair environment, make sure you are not employing people who are racist or sexist.

A culture like no other.

Current Employee - Regional Director - Sales  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Regional Director - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Ability to truly excel and climb the ladder if you're willing to put in long hours and hard work.

Great mentors; great leadership.

Amazing office in mid-town east - a true media hub.

Cons

Low salaries compared to other corporations.

You'll keep the higher caliber talent longer if you pay them better.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun environment, lots of perks

Former Employee - Information Specialist  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Information Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Office culture was great - lots of fun people and a dynamic environment. The building is set up to encourage random interactions, which keeps things vibrant and exciting. Most people love to work for Bloomberg, and they show it. Bloomberg encourages internal growth, but my department was changing locations, and I wasn't lucky enough to be get a job within BLP. Great benefits, great pantry, great summer picnic.

Cons

There was some secrecy when changes were occurring in my department, which put a damper on the morale, but this could be at any job. My department moved out of state and I didn't want to move, so my options were limited. I wish I could've stayed. I loved it there.

Be more transparent when there are changes. Don't bite off more than you can chew. Try to retain your experienced/educated employees.

Bloomberg has rules for everything and expects you to work at all hours

Former Employee - Reporter  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Reporter in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. for more than 5 years

Pros

There are some very talented people at Bloomberg and their product is good.

Cons

The company expects you to work a 10 hour day routinely and up to 24 hours if necessary. There is little work-life balance. You have to respond to emails within seconds or minutes at all hours. It is also a prime example of the corporatization of news.

It's a gig, not a career.

Former Employee - Financial Applications Developer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Applications Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pantry, seeing and meeting people due to the special "design" of the work environment, sunlight in the buildings, good work-life balance. Good opportunities to make impact with your work and get to know many people, but don't expect your good work and sweat to get you a promotion or anywhere meaningful.

Cons

Certainly not a place to have a career. Flat organizational structure has its pros and cons. Culture can be very petty. They promote "lifers" to managerial positions, some of whom are seriously not employable elsewhere. Great place to work right out of college, but not after 30. Pay is not very competitive, but they will pay more to someone else to do the same job when hiring from outside. Once you're in the company, you virtually have no place for negotiating salary unless you have an offer from somewhere else. Once you resign, you need to vacate the premises immediately after HR interview which appears to be about checking boxes and more employee surveys.

It does not make any sense to put so much investment in training people only to have them leave the company for better pay outside. Employee turnover is - unsurprisingly - extremely high. That is more expensive than paying your talent well.

Very nice, but boring

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Bloomberg really takes care of its employees. The management is painfully nice and polite, and the pay is very generous for the work they have us do.

Cons

The biggest challenge for me was that the work was just so boring. The technologies used are ancient, and honestly, I hate the terminal. I did not appreciate having to use the terminal to get even the most simple tasks done. There's a culture of building everything in-house, and this is NOT a good thing. There are fantastic databases and email clients out there, but Bloomberg employees are instead stuck using some guy's afterthought side project instead of those functional outside products. It's a serious drain on productivity. Also, the process to move code to beta and production is extremely draconian and micro-managed. In any other company, I could accomplish in two weeks what it took me two months to do at Bloomberg.

If you envision yourself having a "cushy" job and being a "lifer" and loving that lifestyle, you'll love Bloomberg. If you feel even a modicum of passion for your work (as a developer), you might want to think twice.

Please, stop with the micromanaging "big brother" culture, and give us a bit more freedom to be creative.

Mediocore

Former Employee - Financial Sales and Analytics  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Sales and Analytics in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good name recognition
    Decent industry exposure
    Strong benefits
    Fair pay
    Mike's returning

Cons

Micromanaged work environment
    Very strong political game even at low levels

Great place to work

Current Employee - Enterprise  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Enterprise in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Highly dynamic
    Very open culture.
    Less bureaucracy
    Talent and good ideas are always promoted
    Takes very good care of the employees

Cons

Need to be able to sell yourself properly to get any recognition

Management needs to honestly think about providing proper career path to the individuals.

Legal Analyst

Former Employee - Legal Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Legal Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice working environment, good work-life balance, friendly colleagues, good health benefits, free pantry full of drinks and snacks, fun summer party.

Cons

Difficult to get promoted, hard to have your ideas heard.

Pay attention to talented people otherwise you'll lose them.

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!