Bloomberg L.P. Reviews in New York City, NY

3.5
1,204 Reviews

Bloomberg L.P. President and CEO Dan Doctoroff
Dan Doctoroff

Pros
  • great work life balance - like being in school though (in at 8 on the dot and out at 6) (in 65 reviews)

• When free food is the bigger pro you can think of, there isn't much to like about (in 170 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work-life balance; Peter Principle in effect company-wide; generally chaotic (in 34 reviews)

• Long hours, for a account manager to work 8-6 plus travel, this is rather demanding (in 74 reviews)

More Highlights

570 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Political and alienating, but a great name on the resume.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great name on the resume.

Cons

Was a Business Analyst contractor- dropped into an open floor layout with a highly political 'team leader' that didn't want me there/was threatened by me. Was subsequently excluded from meetings and generally ostracized by him. Really pathetic behavior, but a good learning experience for me.

The odd thing about this vaunted open floor layout is how closed off everyone was from each other.

Not really qualified to offer any- only a contractor.

No growth, low pay and terrible management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time

Pros

Good benefits, low stress, nice office.

Cons

No career path, no direction, terrible middle management. Unless you're in a sales or client facing role you're not even considered a human being.

Some interesting problems but dated software stack and management.

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome gold-plated benefits and office.
    Some interesting problems in some groups. However it is completely dependent on the group.
    Good summer party.
    Generally smart colleagues who are nice to work with.
    Generally meritocratic.

Cons

When the benefits and colleagues are the high point of your day, something is wrong with the work.
    With the exception of a few groups, chances are you will be working on an ancient software stack where the focus is to do a paint job and ship features as soon as possible. Not only is R&D management aware of this, the senior most managers actively evangelize paint jobs and to leave the rotting guts alone. This goes against every engineer's basic instincts. Industry standard software practices such as unit testing, high availability, integration testing, quality control are verbally supported but not practically espoused in the over-arching Time-To-Market company motto.
    As an engineer, if you make peace with the fact that this is not a software company or a tech company by a long shot, you will be happy. Unfortunately, that also means that your skills deteriorate over time and with my shift to a startup I had to face an exceedingly steep learning curve.
    With all the myth propagated by management that compensation is top-notch, it is not. It is above average but not in the league of software companies offering equity. I left to join a small startup and got pretty much what I was making and some(equity).
    Hmmm management .... need I say more? All the reviews talk of terrible management and it is true. As an engineer you will not be treated as a professional, but as an untrustworthy resource that needs to be constantly monitored. This is reflected in their recent inability to hire engineers to fill open positions.

None. Management is made up of old-school finance types who are quite insular. Moreover, the company is still insanely profitable, ergo the thinking goes management must be doing something right and they really don't need any advice.

stable and rewarding company

Current Employee - Financial Software Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It has a great R&D training program, which gets you ready to do some real programming tasks.

Cons

Chasing fast but sometimes could be cheap solutions, which may cause bigger problems later. Maybe different teams are different, but at least in my team, rarely see people put efforts on code refactoring. I personally feel that the open floor could be very distractive to me, earmuff would be your good friend.

Open, Fast, & Innovative Company with EXCELLENT Benefits

Current Employee - Global Data Analyst in Skillman, NJ
    Current Employee - Global Data Analyst in Skillman, NJ

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Bloomberg has a young, fast-paced culture that welcomes fresh college grads and constantly looks for ways to innovate, improve their products, or access new markets. The benefits are great including everything from free food (all day, every day) to 401(k) employer matches up to 15% of your annual salary, fully-sponsered and reimbursed MBA programs and CFA programs, and 4 weeks paid vacation from the first day you start. There is also an extensive 3-month training program for new hires so onboarding is very smooth and easy. No need to worry about being thrown into something that you have no idea how to do.

Cons

A significant amount of time is spent on doing the same task over and over again. It limits the time you can actually work on meaningful or challenging products and can become boring and mundane. The majority of roles in the company are centered on data ENTRY rather than data ANALYSIS as they lead you to believe. There are many brilliant people in this company with advanced degrees and designations such as MBAs and CFAs, yet they still do the same mundane tasks as others just starting at the company....ENTERING data....a task that could be completed by someone with a high school diploma. Nonetheless, the pay does consistently increase as you stay with the firm and there is significant opportunity to advance to managerial roles within your first 4-7 years with the firm.

Fantastic learning opportunity and productive internship

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people that work at Bloomberg are friendly and truly interested in helping interns and new members feel like a part of the team. There is an amazing entrepreneurial spirit even at the task driven level of the business which is one reason I chose to complete and internship here. Free Snacks too!

Cons

There is a lot of different businesses under one roof and many con conflict each other. It is tough sometimes to achieve goals if they are blocked but other departments.

Keep clients of the software platform close and to do this be careful that subsidiary businesses do not eat into their business.

Great journalists wholly devoid of people skills

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bloomberg is a great name to have on your resume, to use to impress friends and acquaintances, and if you like to graze on snacks. As a news organization, it produces compelling content that is sought after and respected around the world.

Cons

Managers have no idea how to develop and coach their direct reports. The company is only now beginning to use 180-degree feedback in the evaluation process. Too many people have worked there for too long and know nothing other than Bloomberg, thus have few ways of learning, growing, seeing how high-performing organizations really work.

Hire some outsiders. Don't make your best reporters into managers. Pay attention to complaints of bullying.

Development practices are being modernized.. You can make a difference..

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Many people have commented that there is a lot of legacy code and outdated practices. This is true, however, since upper management within R&D has been shaken up, a large amount of investment is being made in infrastructure and dev practices.
    - The talent level (at least within my team) is absolutely top-notch.
    - Difficult and interesting problems.
    - If you don't like your team, you can move every 18 months.
    - Very flat hierarchy.
    - BDE software development methodology.
    - Amazing guest sparkers.
    - Increasing it's contributions to the open source world (see BDE on Github)
    - The compensation is good if you are seen as a top performer.
    - Great health care

I'm very happy to work for a organization that cares as much about it's employees as Bloomberg. I think the company is on a positive trajectory, and the best is yet to come.

Cons

- There is a incredible amount of legacy code. Much is old fortran and C.
    - Steep learning curve.
    - You'll be capped at four weeks off. I'm not certain, but I think the whole company gets 4 weeks off.
    - The high talent level, means if you are looking to be a manager, it'll take a while.

Continue to invest in developer productivity and training. At least within my team, there is always more work to be done then could ever get done. Our project management and bug tracking systems could really use some TLC. Also, we build software like complete amateurs, we should invest in better build management tools. We could also use better automated testing frameworks and facilities. Improvements are being made, it would just be nice to have a greater emphasis placed on unit and acceptance testing.

Bloomberg News LP

Current Employee - Technical Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great management, greta staff, great company.

Cons

No Cons, I had to leave bc of relocation. This is a great company to work for.

Keep doing what your doing.

One of the best places to work at for RnD

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Things have improved greatly in the past couple years for RnD and bloomberg is appearing strongly as one of the leading powers in machine learning and data analytical fields.

Cons

Constantly need to deal with biz manager

Support more research work that generates long time benefits other than short term profits.