Bloomberg L.P. Reviews in New York City, NY

3.4
1,181 Reviews

Bloomberg L.P. President and CEO Dan Doctoroff
Dan Doctoroff

Pros
  • When free food is the bigger pro you can think of, there isn't much to like about (in 157 reviews)

• great work life balance - like being in school though (in at 8 on the dot and out at 6) (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work-life balance; Peter Principle in effect company-wide; generally chaotic (in 31 reviews)

• Mandatory, long hours for busy work (8a - 6p); lots of posturing (in 71 reviews)

More Highlights

566 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company if you work just need a VISA sponsorship. But otherwise a horrible place to be for a software developer.

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

free snacks. company can apply for a green card for you, that's what most H2B VISA employees are here for.
    every year we have summer picnic in randall's island. The food quality in this one a year event is no where as good as google NYC office's food.

Cons

Be assured that you won't be doing anything advanced in terms of programming. They focus on pushing out the product ASAP. Now customers thinks, wow that's fast.
    Then, when something breaks(because of poor design, no unit test, they hire people who doesn't know how to write proper OOP code etc. etc.) then we apply quick hacky fix. Then client thinks, wow, what a customer service!

This is basically why they're NOT changing, there's no business reason to change.

If you are a good programmer, you will find better paying company and better environment to learn.

Now they are having trouble hiring people, they even changed the policy regarding hiring past employees. (It used to be if you quit, you can never come back.) Also, it used to be that you have to pass 80% grade in their training class upon hiring, otherwise you get fired. Now.. there's no such thing, because they can't afford to lose more people. The standard has definitely gone down.

I would definitely not recommend this company to my programmer friends. I know at least 5 people who are actively preparing for job interviews. These are the better programmers in R&D as well.
    I also know many people are there just waiting for the green card, once they get, it, they say they'll get out of here ASAP.

I should not have chosen Bloomberg the first place, I regret it.
    Their HR response was the fastest among the companies I applied to, that was the only reason I chose it because it was the first offer I got. I rejected subsequent (at least better in terms of pay) offers from other companies all because I already accepted the offer from Bloomberg.
    Time you interviews right, don't make the same mistake!

I only stayed as long as I have because my green card is almost here. I will quit the day I get it. Too many better opportunities out there. There's more to life than trivial DRQS's.

please stop misleading interviewees, tell them the truth upfront. They will quit anyways after finding out how this is a business oriented company, not an IT firm by any stretch of imagination.
    Also, if you look at this statistic: attrition rate of the employees who go the highest annual review VS. attrition rate of the employees in general, I bet you will find that the high perform employees tend to quit after a few year. I've seen so many such cases.

Overworked and Underpaid

Current Employee - Sales Executive  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some free food in kitchen pantry. Exciting vibe on the main 6th floor. There is always something new going on, including client events.

Cons

Bad managers. Systems are redundant so that you are required to input same information over and over into different places. Management is focused on trivial things instead of important things like revenue, happy clients, etc. Management is incapable of managing different personalities and expects everybody to conform to their perceived Bloomberg mold. They make sure to underpay and overwork employees.

Learn to manage different personalities that can contribute ideas. Learn to respect your employees. Practice what you preach in ethics. Focus on things that are important in business and set reasonable goals for your employees instead of unattainable ones.

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Programmer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Programmer in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a meritocracy where you are rewarded for your contributions. Lots of ownership leading to a good learning experience.
    As a firm, it is quite nimble and flexible.

Cons

On call through the week and some weeks are quite bad.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK place to start, but move out quickly

Former Employee - Financial Software Developer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent training, good name on resume, good introduction

Cons

Poor culture, work is not intellectually stimulating, some of the code is very old

Software engineer for a mixed up company

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent compensation and benefits. There is an infinite amount of work to be done and some excellent people there. Some of the technology is very good. The company has very deep pockets for whatever hardware is needed.

Cons

The company values speed-to-market over everything else. However, when bugs are discovered, there is all hell to pay! You are expected to support what you build. In some groups, this is no big deal, in others, it is a large burden. A lot of the technology used is proprietary. In general, even though this is a software company, they really don't know anything about software or software development. The focus is entirely on adding new products and features with no consideration to quality of product or software reuse. The culture is to work very hard. One is discouraged from taking lunch. There is no communication or sharing between groups. Thus, someone two rows away could be doing almost the exact same thing!

I honestly do not feel that management would either listen to anything I had to say here. Further, I don't believe they would change anything!

Not for everyone

Former Employee - Editor  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good money, great perks, solid benefits. Some of the best people in their fields. Terminal access from your own home.

Cons

Internal communication can be lacking, to the detriment of the finished product. And in the end, more loyal to the product than to the people who could make it better if only they heard more than silence from above. Also, the culture is rigid, rigid, rigid.

Talk more to your underlings. Don't just expect them to puzzle out the mystery box on their own.

Great perks

Former Employee - Equity Fundamentals Analyst  in  Skillman, NJ
    Former Employee - Equity Fundamentals Analyst in Skillman, NJ

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Very large cafeteria serving free breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Also free snacks, beverages, and fruit. Okay learning opportunity for recent college grads.

Cons

No benefits for contract workers. There wasn't a real opportunity to become a full-timer. The project's leaders lacked communication and concern.

If you're going to use contract workers for important projects, try to make them feel part of the company and not some sort burden. Also, improve your communication

Great product but nasty managers.

Former Employee - Sales  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Collaborative, lots of talented people, good salaries and benefits, great product.

Cons

Management is dominated by bottom line thinking that allows little room for common decency.

Treat people right and you will have less turnover and a more productive work force. Weed out the toxic managers.

Great culture, mediocre work

Former Employee - Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fabulous benefits, competitive salary, high-energy work environment. There is always something interesting going on.

Cons

Things are done in a certain way and its not always easy to effectuate change. Some of the work can be less than stimulating.

Awesome experience

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great experience working on things that interested me. Mentor and manager also provided me lots of opportunities for me to improve business knowledge and skills. Extremely fun and close knit team, enjoyed going to work everyday.

Cons

As an intern I had trouble gaining access privileges to some tools I needed to do my work. Also high pressure environment, but very exciting and fast paced.

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!