Bloomberg L.P. Reviews

Reset
3.5
Bloomberg L.P. Founder Michael R. Bloomberg
Michael R. Bloomberg

Pros
  • They work-life balance here is great (in 69 reviews)

• Some free food in kitchen pantry (in 173 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little work-life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Mandatory, long hours for busy work (8a - 6p); lots of posturing (in 75 reviews)

Awesome Pay, Benefits, Management, Technically Behind the Times

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits are top notch. If you go above and beyond, you will be recognized with huge bonus and huge base pay increase. Full family insurance paid with no employee contribution and a medical doctor in the building you can see for free. Incredible yearly party where a whole island is rented out with amusement park rides and free food -- great for family. Company really does good for society -- e.g. if you volunteer 40 hours, there is a "dollars for your hours" program that can donate $5000 to that charity.

Cons

Technically, seems sort of behind. Half the code base is Fortran. Bizarre restrictions on things like Boost. Low level C++ libraries are high quality, but higher level code is a mess. In many teams, you might spend hours each week just trying to get your code to link because all the libraries are changing underneath you all the time. The databases and GUI are bizarre proprietary stuff that are a pain to use and these skills are useless outside of Bloomberg. The email and proprietary issue tracking systems are terrible, with basic things like word wrapping not working reliably. If you like finance and high salary, you might look past these shortcomings.

Advice to Management

Allow the Boost Library. Ask John Lakos to stop preaching how beautiful the low level libraries are, look at what developers are actually spending their time doing, and help make the high level stuff less of a big ball of mud.

2. Need a little bit more to be world class

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Firm level: Top benefits, good pay. The company takes care of its employee. Good health insurance plan that cover whole family without a penny from you. On site doctor, large pantry, free snacks/breakfast. The most missed is the corporate event, which includes summer picnic and big apple circuits. (My kid is already complaining that we cannot go there due to the fact I left the job.) R&D level: Smart coworkers. Two 27 inchs monitor (This is important). Some of the infrastructure team's work is highly respected and appreciated. Engineers are allowed (or somewhat encouraged) to move internally to build a career. (Comparing before and after this policy, I felt managers are less likely to mistreat their reports)

Cons

Firm level: Terrible "stupid" hiring policy (this is not confidential anymore, search on quora): the HR will throw out the resume without looking if the candidate was a former Bloomberg employee, or even worse, that this person had declined an offer from Bloomberg before. (How are you going to compete in such a competitive market for tech talent?) Performance review is stack ranking based and the managers have the full say. As a result, employees are discouraged to share knowledge, but fight politics internally to be close to the managers. Individual contributors are less likely to disagree with the managers/TLs' idea. Wrong person get promoted/demoted time to time, not because of performance, but as a result of political matter. R&D level Poor software practice in the R&D, where almost non-existence of the automated software testing (not even at the unit-test level). The company encourage employees to be innovative firm-wide, however in practice, engineers are discouraged (indirectly) to innovate due to fear of breaking things. I personally knew at least 2 engineers were fired due to the production bugs they created. From my knowledge, the most senior managers in R&D are technical with some of the good visions. However, many of the mid, mid-senior level managers, are not technical at all. These people are usually the decision makers and I saw many missteps in the decision making progress during my 5 years there. Lack of developer productivity tools. Most engineers are still on vim/emacs and at the time I left, there's not a fully integrated SDK available. Eclipse is used, as only an editor.

Advice to Management

Firm level: Throw out the stupid rehiring policy. (I'm never intended to come back, but this policy is truly laughable.) Bring more transparency in the performance reviewing process. R&D level: Introducing a firm-wide software practice, (naming conversions, unit test, check out "The Joel Test“). Invest more (way more) in developer productivity tools.

3. Reporter

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time

Pros

Incredible learning experience and un-matched committment to continued education and training. Great offices and world-class technology support.

Cons

Writing/editing be too rigid/formulaic at times. Fresh thinking is not always welcome on some teams/roles. strategic direction is not entirely clear.

Advice to Management

Focus a bit more on quality instead of quantity. A lot of "news" simply isn't all that newsworthy and the resources required to chase it could be better spent going much deeper on the stuff that really matters.

5. desktop support

Current Employee - Desktop Support in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Desktop Support in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time

Pros

Great place to work and develop your career.

Cons

Too much emphasis is placed on meeting metrics and it tend to compromise on quality of work.

Advice to Management

Find the right balance between metrics and the development of your staff.

6. Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

Pros

well known, well funded company

Cons

management disconnected form day to day operations that they supervise. Promotion is very subjective. Despite what they say, originality is not rewarded.

7. Team Lead (Sales)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Total comp is good and they reward you well if you are at plan. Working with smart people is a pleasure at Bloomberg. Benefits are also excellent. Fast-paced, fun environment.

Cons

You have to manage up to get anywhere - not necessarily a bad thing.

8. Great Company, Fast Paced Environment

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great treatment of employees in terms of benefits, solid training, good overall morale and co-workers. Good work-life balance and commitment to positive initiatives for health and green initiatives.

Cons

Communication seemed to be lacking in some areas, particularly when changes were being made across teams and areas. Management didn't always have answers and the flat hierarchy can be confusing at times.

Advice to Management

Don't let people get lost in the shuffle. Keep an eye out for those who would be better suited in other departments. Even with an open environment, be approachable and open to ideas.

Fantastic internship program with lots to learn and do

Former Intern - Financial Software Developer in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Financial Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great intern events throughout the summer. At least 1 per week. There is always something to do. You're given you're own project to work on and complete throughout the summer. When you're done you get ample opportunities to show off what you've accomplished to upper management Everyone is willing to help or chat with you about their role or the company Lots of financial knowledge to gain. Provided classes in finance and tech.

Cons

The work isn't always super challenging or structured, which makes it hard to focus and be productive sometimes. The tech can be a bit restrictive since it's almost all proprietary, but the people who literally built it are around and willing to help you leverage it the best you can. Not a fan of open floor plan

Advice to Management

Commit to the new agile structure and don't see it as a hassle! I feel it would be really helpful and allow developers to be more productive. Have real stand up meetings, make real estimates and evaluate them, etc.

10. Great culture, smart colleagues

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as a contractor

Pros

The culture is fantastic! I can't speak for other teams, but the media group is diverse, sometimes quirky (in a good way) and knowledgeable, all of which creates a fun atmosphere. Bloomberg's offices are top-notch, the environment and culture is similar to that of an established startup or even a Google. My colleagues were smart and legitimately helpful. Managers tend to be hands on, but not overly so -- from my experience they offer solid and productive advice and criticism more often than not. Free healthy snacks, fruit, and can't forget soup day! Solid perks.

Cons

The few times I was frustrated by my manager I chalk up to growing pains as I learned the rhythm of the company. Sometimes I was asked to make inane changes to pieces I had worked hard on. Reorg-ing has left many departments in limbo; they could communicate better between teams.

Advice to Management

Spend some time optimizing communication between teams. Town hall meetings are great, but often dept heads wouldn't pass on meaningful information in team meetings. Clarify your editorial strategy!

11. product manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. (More than 5 years)

Pros

stability (generally), salary is generally competitive, good benefits package, generally healthy work environment. Interesting seminars and chances to meet interesting people

Cons

culture of promoting people who are recognized for being hard edged and process focused. results in a many "company men" being pushed up the ranks at the expense of very smart people who do not fit this mold

Advice to Management

reduce the focus on timelines. rather, spend significantly more time truly understanding the problem being addressed, the utility of the task being developed to solve this problem, and the quality of the output of this process.

Showing 628 of 1,576 reviews