Bloomberg L.P.

Bloomberg L.P. Reviews in New York, NY

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Bloomberg L.P. President and CEO Dan Doctoroff

Dan Doctoroff

Pros
  • When free food is the bigger pro you can think of, there isn't much to like about (in 157 reviews)

• great work life balance - like being in school though (in at 8 on the dot and out at 6) (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work-life balance; Peter Principle in effect company-wide; generally chaotic (in 31 reviews)

• Mandatory, long hours for busy work (8a - 6p); lots of posturing (in 71 reviews)

More Highlights
486 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great journalists wholly devoid of people skills

Editor (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsBloomberg is a great name to have on your resume, to use to impress friends and acquaintances, and if you like to graze on snacks. As a news organization, it produces compelling content that is sought after and respected around the world.

ConsManagers have no idea how to develop and coach their direct reports. The company is only now beginning to use 180-degree feedback in the evaluation process. Too many people have worked there for too long and know nothing other than Bloomberg, thus have few ways of learning, growing, seeing how high-performing organizations really work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some outsiders. Don't make your best reporters into managers. Pay attention to complaints of bullying.

Development practices are being modernized.. You can make a difference..

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Many people have commented that there is a lot of legacy code and outdated practices. This is true, however, since upper management within R&D has been shaken up, a large amount of investment is being made in infrastructure and dev practices.
    - The talent level (at least within my team) is absolutely top-notch.
    - Difficult and interesting problems.
    - If you don't like your team, you can move every 18 months.
    - Very flat hierarchy.
    - BDE software development methodology.
    - Amazing guest sparkers.
    - Increasing it's contributions to the open source world (see BDE on Github)
    - The compensation is good if you are seen as a top performer.
    - Great health care

I'm very happy to work for a organization that cares as much about it's employees as Bloomberg. I think the company is on a positive trajectory, and the best is yet to come.

Cons- There is a incredible amount of legacy code. Much is old fortran and C.
    - Steep learning curve.
    - You'll be capped at four weeks off. I'm not certain, but I think the whole company gets 4 weeks off.
    - The high talent level, means if you are looking to be a manager, it'll take a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in developer productivity and training. At least within my team, there is always more work to be done then could ever get done. Our project management and bug tracking systems could really use some TLC. Also, we build software like complete amateurs, we should invest in better build management tools. We could also use better automated testing frameworks and facilities. Improvements are being made, it would just be nice to have a greater emphasis placed on unit and acceptance testing.

Bloomberg News LP

Technical Director (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat management, greta staff, great company.

ConsNo Cons, I had to leave bc of relocation. This is a great company to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great training. Have to get out early or be willing to stay at Bloomberg for the long haul to be happy.

Sales and Analytics (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat training, benefits and reasonable hours. Lots of smart, hard working blue collar types who are willing to invest their time into helping colleagues learn.

ConsYour experience can vary a great deal depending on the skills and leadership of your manager. Their is high turnover in the Sales and Analytics program and generally morale is low. It is easy to feel replaceable covering a sell side bank and your input does little to impact client decisions.

Good Company, just not enough career growth despite what they tell you.

Account Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat office to work in and benefits package is excellent.

ConsLong hours, for a account manager to work 8-6 plus travel, this is rather demanding. There is also very little to no growth despite how they will change titles of employees every 6 months. Just look around, all the senior folks have been there 20+ years and are going no where. The chances of one getting a decent position to move from Account Management to somewhere else are non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour salary growth for top performers is just terrible. Stop treating everyone like this is a union job where you trade so called security for no chance to move.

Five years of Software development with C++ and UNIX

C++ Software Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe pay is decent and 100% medical benefits for the entire family.

ConsLots of old legacy code to deal with and use of proprietary API. No privacy and no cubicles at all. Everything is an open area like a trader. Hard to concentrate when you hear and see everything. Too much politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of current management and start anew.

Bloomberg is a great kickstart to ones career.

Data Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat experience, benefits are awesome, working from home was

ConsThe work became somewhat repetitive and boring.

You'll learn the ropes, but probably grow out of it quickly

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe pay is solid, benefits are unreal, and the vacation is great.

ConsThe technology is dated, the purpose of your work limited. As an employee of the r&d team chances are all you will be doing is executing ideas from the business manager with little input.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions appear to be from tenure not from ability. Outdated software means employees eventually realize the skills they are learning won't easily translate into a new company, so you are faced with the decision of becoming a lifer or moving on.

A company that cares for its employees

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat Health care benefits ,

ConsVery fast paced and dynamic environment

Advice to Senior Managementwork life balance , have parallel alternatives for personal growth

Generally a positive experience, different groups and departments have vastly different ethos and your mileage may vary.

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsIf you do well, and have a supportive team leader and manager, they are very quick to give you more responsibility. Once you are established as a solid team player, there are many opportunities for growth, educational reimbursements and slow but steady raises.

ConsSome teams are decidedly better than others, ranging from a bunch of very competent folks that would do well almost anywhere, to other teams which seem to be what's left after years of the cream of the crop skimming off to other places. You are not allowed to actively trade, and moonlight coding for open source projects is if not discouraged, at least made quite tedious and difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend a little less time making internal videos and producing new internal "awards", and spend a little more time regularly chatting with every employee outside of the lines of reporting.

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!