Bloomberg L.P.

3.2 1,026 reviews

Bloomberg L.P. President and CEO Dan Doctoroff

Dan Doctoroff

1,026 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Free food, occasionally interesting work, cosmopolitan employee base"
    in 143 reviews
  • "great work life balance - like being in school though (in at 8 on the dot and out at 6)"
    in 49 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor work-life balance; Peter Principle in effect company-wide; generally chaotic"
    in 30 reviews
  • "Mandatory, long hours for busy work (8a - 6p); lots of posturing"
    in 65 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great office, great people, and great culture.

New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe health care coverage was great, the food and drinks were free, and was given substantive work. It also is a really cool office that is modern, has fish tanks, and you can see the news being filmed live and might even end up in some live shots.

ConsThe desk setup is very open so privacy is nearly impossible. Be ready to know your co-workers family and friends and their health situations via the phone conversations.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more opportunities to shift to analytics and not necessarily sales.

Bloomberg is for growth

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMany opportunities for growth. Open environment. Many occasions to celebrate and appreciate employees.

ConsNo privacy; Japanese style office area.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecent downsizing removed many competent employees.

the best and most organized company i've ever worked for

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 3 years

Prosextremely efficient, brilliant programmers, smart business model to have everything revolve around the terminal

Constoo many acquisitions recently are diluting the quirky company culture and focus on the terminal

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to mike now that he's back! dan is too much of a politician

exiciting

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for less than a year

Prosit is nice working environment. People are friendly here and It is in NYC!!

Consit is quite fast-paced,

Very Good Working Environment

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 3 years

Prosopen culture, very good team work

Conshave to figure out things yourself

Advice to Senior Managementkeep open and being transparent

Challenging and rewarding

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSalary, stability, summer party, prestige

ConsHave not yet found a way to innovate in technology

Great company

Data Analyst (Former Employee)
Skillman, NJ

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 8 years

ProsYou are working for an industry leader that makes a superior product that sits on the most important desks in the world. Along with the prestige is the fact that you are treated extremely well with perks that you would never receive elsewhere.

ConsWith high rewards comes high expectations. Market response is very high, product expectations are demanding, and there is very little room for error.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a better employee growth program. There was none at all while I was there.

Great company to work for

Software Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for less than a year

ProsThe work is challenging and very rewarding. The company cares a lot about its employees and it shows through the competitive compensation, great benefits, and access to whatever you need to get the job done.

ConsThe experience can vary depending on the team you are on. I have friends who are in groups that they don't enjoy very much.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing. Everything is good.

Great culture, work-life balance, and product ownership at a company with a rock-solid business plan.

Software Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Only need to work 8 hours a day
-Company has enough resources to allow developers to experiment. In over 30 years of operation, never had a year of negative growth, so there is no sink-or-swim mandate
-Training program for non-CS entry level hires is a great way to transition into software
-Teams are small and functional-focused, so developers get a lot of code ownership.
-Company grows fast, so there are opportunities to move up. This must be taken with a grain of salt, since there are thousands of developers at the company, but many of the team leads have only worked there for 3-4 years, sometimes less.
-Jumping between groups is highly encouraged, so even if you don't want to manage people, you can always try something new. The process is well-defined, so no need to go behind your manager's back
-Get to learn about the financial domain, which has a lot of interesting algorithmic, computational, mathematical and big-data problems

Cons-A lot of the technology is proprietary or old, making transitioning in or out of the company difficult. New technologies do show up, but it takes time, requires political navigation, and rarely has coverage across the whole company
-Business managers often push back when developers try to invest in stability or code cleanup, which is obviously bad in the long-term

Advice to Senior ManagementR&D management should continue to push upper management to respect investment in stability and good practice, and the recent push for increased participation in the open-source community should be fast-tracked. In my 3 years at the company, we have gone from having very little standing among the tech community for young people to being a nascent player, and we should continue that push.

Great company which allows you to grow.

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time

ProsDynamic fast-paced company that encourages employee growth. Each employee holds pride in working for this company and they embrace the culture.

ConsConstant changes within the company and lack of manuals/instructions when starting a new role is overwhelming. Employee must be flexible and open to adjusting to the fast pace/

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!

Bloomberg L.P. – Why Work for Us?

Bloomberg’s global mission is to help individuals, enterprises and governments make smarter, faster, more profitable decisions — first. In order to get there, we need constant ideas, energy, innovation— which is where… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bloomberg L.P. reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bloomberg L.P. CEO Dan Doctoroff. All 1,026 reviews posted anonymously by Bloomberg L.P. employees.