Bloomberg L.P.

3.2 1,027 reviews

Bloomberg L.P. President and CEO Dan Doctoroff

Dan Doctoroff

1,027 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Free food, occasionally interesting work, cosmopolitan employee base"
    in 143 reviews
  • "great work life balance - like being in school though (in at 8 on the dot and out at 6)"
    in 49 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor work-life balance; Peter Principle in effect company-wide; generally chaotic"
    in 30 reviews
  • "Mandatory, long hours for busy work (8a - 6p); lots of posturing"
    in 65 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

great place to be

Associate Producer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time

Prossmart people, efficient systems, employees taken care of, you're expected to do your best and the environment allows for it

Consi needed a better introduction into the culture, to colleagues and the system

Great office, great people, and great culture.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe health care coverage was great, the food and drinks were free, and was given substantive work. It also is a really cool office that is modern, has fish tanks, and you can see the news being filmed live and might even end up in some live shots.

ConsThe desk setup is very open so privacy is nearly impossible. Be ready to know your co-workers family and friends and their health situations via the phone conversations.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more opportunities to shift to analytics and not necessarily sales.

Mutual Fund Analyst

Data Analyst (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as a contractor for less than a year

ProsFriendly people and nice working atmosphere.
Working with smart people in the industry.

ConsThere is no room for development and the work will become boring after couple of months
I don't recommend working for Bloomberg in terms of short contract THEY REALLY BAD. You will not be rewarded for your work and you will be paid nothing in compare with the permanent employees there.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Entreprenuerial place, dynamic thinking, arrogant people and great kitchen

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 3 years

Prosworking within sales is a high pressure job but they train you very well - about the product, theory & how to sell - in fact even if you're not in sales its always about sales (or so they say though see cons)
it has a great kitchen & the people are very helpful and nice
you can pretty much get all the support you need as long as you sell
you meet some great people on the job interms of clients and its great for networking
pay is good

Consthe place is pretty arrogant - not everyone but alot of the management, and they speak of other companies (esp Reuters) really badly - very disrespectful & a lack of understanding that people think about anything apart from bloomberg, when really the market (banks, hedge funds etc) dont give a rats ass. I found (and not all the time but alot) that people from the market also look down on you and you're seen as the "bloomberg guy" which is great if you want to just be the bloomberg guy and talk only about bloomberg but if not, then not so great. Oh and when it comes to ratings they can really screw you as its all about whether they like you or not and not really about sales - they have to rate on a curve so if you dont know who in your team will get a shi&t rating, then its you...

Advice to Senior ManagementA well run company though a little too cult like - which to be honest if i was running a company i would quite like my employees to be the same - most feel quite connected to the company and their work
Also you need some new blood in the higher parts of sales - it is all born and bread people which means everyone thinks the same

Good place to work

Financial Sales and Analytics (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat office culture (very friendly, transparent, open, young), great work life balance, nice extra activities and optionals, good atmosphere, not bossy atmosphere where ideas can be heard and people feel free to speak up, very sensitive to diversity (internationally, minorities etc...)

ConsNot very stimulating career path for an ambitious graduate in finance world, work is not stimulating (basically a knowledged customer service)

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to find out ways of stimulating the career path of individuals, maybe trying to set up an alumni scheme or something to facilitate exit into banking if people want it for a more rewarding career at some point (which would also help sales) similar to management consulting could be helpful

Bloomberg is for growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMany opportunities for growth. Open environment. Many occasions to celebrate and appreciate employees.

ConsNo privacy; Japanese style office area.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecent downsizing removed many competent employees.

Great company to work for

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than a year

Prosfun environment, people are smart and hardworking. beneftis are great

Consgrowth is difficult; there are a lot of employees and not many roads up

Advice to Senior Managementfind ways for people to grow, even if it isn't a promotion

It is what you make of it

Programmer (Former Employee)

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIf you have the right frame of mind, you can develop a lot of freedom in what you can choose to work on.
Over the years I developed a reputation as a goto problem solver, and the result was that I could choose what projects I wanted to work on and how much of my time I spent on each project.

ConsThe development environment for programmers is, ironically, almost hostile. Much less hostile than it was 10 years ago. This can be a challenge for some people to overcome and definitely was the source of a lot of frustration for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your people more. The firm-wide position seems to be that employees are not trustworthy. In reality, 99% of them are, and we resent the presumption of management that we are not.

Well paid but Doomberg takes its pound of flesh

Producer/Reporter (Current Employee)
Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt's good to work for a media company that has deep pockets. I don't just mean the above-average compensation, benefits, nice offices, other perks. When this company puts its mind to something, it can throw resources at the problem. Whether it does or not is another issue.
It has a great core product. The Bloomberg terminal, when used properly, is a remarkable device. A parallel Internet.
Overall, the people I've worked with and met at the company have been decent, caring, hard-working people.
The training options at the company are quite good but not always made available to everyone. You sometimes have to fight to get on courses.

ConsIt's not a media company. Media is a minor side business. It doesn't always have the best interests of media division at heart.
They will work you hard. The 50-hour MINIMUM work week is often touted as a good thing, a competitive advantage. Expect to do 9-, 10-hour stints without the slightest break. This is the result of relentless cost-cutting over recent years.
Time off is adequate. Decent for an American company.
The company says it cares about professional growth but personal experience indicates otherwise.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in quality personnel
Structure the company so as you can promote and develop the people with skills, experience and talent
Don't burn people out

Innovative, aggressive company

Reporter (Former Employee)

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you are a self-starter, innovative- and reform-minded person, you can enjoy working here. So many things changes in a year or so, and if you are independent even you can offer new ideas to make your work environment better. In some cases, anything can be possible kind of company. Compensation is probably the best among the journalism industry.

ConsIf you are assigned to a fast-growing beat coverage, you tend to work more than your peers. It may be hard to find work-life balance for some.

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!

Bloomberg L.P. – Why Work for Us?

Bloomberg’s global mission is to help individuals, enterprises and governments make smarter, faster, more profitable decisions — first. In order to get there, we need constant ideas, energy, innovation— which is where… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bloomberg L.P. reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bloomberg L.P. CEO Dan Doctoroff. All 1,027 reviews posted anonymously by Bloomberg L.P. employees.