Bloomberg L.P. Reviews

3.4
1,188 Reviews

Bloomberg L.P. President and CEO Dan Doctoroff
Dan Doctoroff

Pros
  • great work life balance - like being in school though (in at 8 on the dot and out at 6) (in 63 reviews)

• When free food is the bigger pro you can think of, there isn't much to like about (in 169 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work-life balance; Peter Principle in effect company-wide; generally chaotic (in 34 reviews)

• Long hours, for a account manager to work 8-6 plus travel, this is rather demanding (in 73 reviews)

More Highlights

Flexible and Fun

Current Employee - BAT Campus Ambassador in New York, NY
    Current Employee - BAT Campus Ambassador in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very easygoing with your schedule. They like and give you a chance to be creative, looking for students involved on campus to market the BAT test. Overall very fun, flexible, and a great part-time job for college students. Great boost to your resume.

Cons

The only problem was probably management, since you will most likely be working remotely. Expect multiple conference calls and check-ins throughout the month to make sure you are running and setting up testing sessions smoothly. Directions can be a bit unclear, but it is a very open and creative job in general.

Company has strong brand but very toxic work environment

I worked at Bloomberg L.P.

Pros

Great perks, including free food, healthcare benefits, and tickets to museums and galas.

Cons

No work-life balance. Managers are not well-trained, and most are "lifers" who assumed position after being there for many years. Your performance is based on relationships with senior managers, and very little on actual results. Very bureaucratic and wasted time spent on pleasing those in power, than actually innovating new ways to grow the company.

Bloomberg has rules for everything and expects you to work at all hours

Former Employee - Reporter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Reporter in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are some very talented people at Bloomberg and their product is good.

Cons

The company expects you to work a 10 hour day routinely and up to 24 hours if necessary. There is little work-life balance. You have to respond to emails within seconds or minutes at all hours. It is also a prime example of the corporatization of news.

It's a gig, not a career.

Former Employee - Financial Applications Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Applications Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pantry, seeing and meeting people due to the special "design" of the work environment, sunlight in the buildings, good work-life balance. Good opportunities to make impact with your work and get to know many people, but don't expect your good work and sweat to get you a promotion or anywhere meaningful.

Cons

Certainly not a place to have a career. Flat organizational structure has its pros and cons. Culture can be very petty. They promote "lifers" to managerial positions, some of whom are seriously not employable elsewhere. Great place to work right out of college, but not after 30. Pay is not very competitive, but they will pay more to someone else to do the same job when hiring from outside. Once you're in the company, you virtually have no place for negotiating salary unless you have an offer from somewhere else. Once you resign, you need to vacate the premises immediately after HR interview which appears to be about checking boxes and more employee surveys.

It does not make any sense to put so much investment in training people only to have them leave the company for better pay outside. Employee turnover is - unsurprisingly - extremely high. That is more expensive than paying your talent well.

Business Development

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time

Pros

Bloomberg is an excellent place to learn about the financial markets. The company has an outstanding training program and first in class benefits. It is also a great place to network with industry contacts because Bloomberg has a top notch reputation in the financial community.
    Other perks include: Great snacks, fun outings with colleagues, great insurance

Cons

Upward mobility at the firm is limited, especially if you are not in the New York or London offices. Compensation is also limited, employees do not work on commission.

Good culture, friendly people, good working environment

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P.

Pros

Good culture, friendly people, good working environment, flexible work schedules, flat organizational structure, transparent review and feedback systems

Cons

Multiple projects at the same time can be a stress on time management, as software dev the libraries are hard to navigate and require more training and trial and error than you think to code.

An OK place to work.

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time

Pros

Have the chance to build the system based on your own idea. Good life work balance.

Cons

Some old tech to maintain. Pay is not very competitive.

A Company with IT friendliness and Wall Street charm

Former Employee - Quant Researcher in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Quant Researcher in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It's great to work at a place that has free snack that are "BWELL approved", beautiful offices, and amazing story behind it. Many people are motivated and great at what they do.
    For interns, there are many interesting and fun events throughout the summer.

Cons

The following might have happened me somewhere else too, but it still should not happen.

- First of all, I was the first female being in the history of my group; the HR group (all girls) was close to us. I received multiple warnings from different HRs saying that I dress in a way that draws too much attention of my male colleagues. Also, they were often rumoring about some girl saying that "Apparently, she is very smart, but...". Anytime I needed a confirmation of employment for landlords, or something like that, all of them but one could find a reason why they could not help me.
    So, if you dare to be a girl in finance / tech and look healthy, be aware that it's a crime on the eyes of HRs, because they have to do shopping online while you're coding.

- Obviously, the problem above won't apply to everyone. The company is huge, and has multiple divisions (Research & Development, Sales & Analytics, News, etc.) that operate almost independently. So, as an any sufficiently large sample of people, you can find some parasites on the system. I don't want to give specific names and provide more specific information, because I don't want to be identified. I happened to be in a group whose boss is a good friend with the guy who takes care of financing projects. Even though our group's "project" was essentially research on previous research, 15 people were still paid to work on it.

Make sure that you are employing people who still are working. Also, if you care so much about making Wall Street a fair environment, make sure you are not employing people who are racist or sexist.

Sales

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great fun culture. Free snacks in the kitchen, very fun atmosphere, and many employee outings. Great financial training program. All in all I enjoyed the many years I worked there.

Cons

Micromanaged a lot. Always having to badge in and out and those statics being tracked. Not a lot of incentive to sell more as you won't get directly compensated for it.

A culture like no other.

Current Employee - Regional Director - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Regional Director - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to truly excel and climb the ladder if you're willing to put in long hours and hard work.

Great mentors; great leadership.

Amazing office in mid-town east - a true media hub.

Cons

Low salaries compared to other corporations.

You'll keep the higher caliber talent longer if you pay them better.