Bloomberg L.P.

3.6
1,249 Reviews

Bloomberg L.P. President and CEO Dan Doctoroff
Dan Doctoroff

Pros
  • great work life balance - like being in school though (in at 8 on the dot and out at 6) (in 69 reviews)

• When free food is the bigger pro you can think of, there isn't much to like about (in 173 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work-life balance; Peter Principle in effect company-wide; generally chaotic (in 34 reviews)

• Long hours, for a account manager to work 8-6 plus travel, this is rather demanding (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, people. Caring company

Current Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture is work-hard, play-hard, with much thought put toward philanthropy and the environment (these altruistic goals really come from the top-down); great snacks; great office/environment; a lot of smart people all across the board; convenient location; great connections throughout the city due to the CEO being a former mayor; lots of educational opportunities outside of field, such as financial training for R&D folks, technical training for business-folks; payment for further education; sports teams to play on. Great healthcare, great 50% match on 401k; generous pay-raises and bonuses. Awesome training program for fresh-out-of-college hires: 12 weeks long, fantastic instructors for advanced C++ and javascript (and a lot more), plus great networking opportunities. Really well run. The whole company works like clockwork, from facilities to help desk to sales to software to data warehouse. Quite impressive.

Cons

A lot of proprietary software development tools.
    A lot of customers don't like change; customers are paying a steep price, and thus often have a stronger say than they should.

A good company, but not great

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

fancy office, food, beautiful fish tanks. great summer party.
    Sometimes you can work on interesting projects. For junior software engineer, this is a great place to start a career and great opportunity to learn.

Cons

career path is a problem. If is hard to advance, and you may wind up doing same stuff several years ago.

Need to think how to give senior programmers more opportunities. How to retain best people.

Good company to start with

Current Employee - Financial Software Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Open door, and transparent policy, very intelligent and motivated people. ability to take ownership, be proactive. Awesome training program for the fresh students. Very generous benefit, great snack,and nice working environment.

Cons

Very aggressive culture, it might take a while to get use to. Could be very busy sometime and overtime is expected.

satisfying

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great work-life balance culture. Bloomberg offers very good benefits for employees.

Cons

career advancement depends very much on management

Very nice job, friendly atmosphere.

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time

Pros

Very good food and college.

Cons

It seems to me everything is fine.

A valuable experience for recent graduates

Current Employee - Equity Data Analyst in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Equity Data Analyst in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Open environment that does allow you gain a lot of experience needed for other equity research related positions.

Cons

Need more opportunity for growth in the organization, especially for those who want to stay with the company.

Mediocre Internship Experience in Sales and Analytics

Former Employee - Sales and Analytics Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales and Analytics Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Good work life balance (as others have mentioned: in at 8, out by 5)
    - Young office feel. The vast majority of the employees I interacted with were fresh out of college or only several years out. Accordingly, there was lots of energy and opportunities to make friends.
    - Very rigorous training program on the Bloomberg (opportunity to get some exposure to financial markets training for liberal arts majors)
    - Arguably decent entry-level pay although not comparable to actual finance jobs
    - Pantry

Cons

- Poor quality of hires as there are not very many incentives for talented individuals (not surprisingly, the firm has a very hard time recruiting at strong schools)
    - VERY political. The experience felt above all else like a crash course on brown nosing (this is quite possibly the only transferable skill you will acquire in your time at ADSK). Advancement and success did not seem to be primarily based on creativity, intelligence, or even sheer effort.
    - Poor long term career prospects and exit opportunities. You basically either advance in Analytics or move to Sales.
    - There is a feeling of constantly being surveilled. In this sense, employees are treated somewhat like children (cultivates a culture of fear to a certain extent).
    - ADSK job is rather mind numbing. It is generally perceived as a glorified help desk and you get very little respect from the finance community, i.e. your clients. Clients often berate ADSK employees for problems out of their control.
    - Not very intellectually stimulating tasks or peers. One head sales guy even went as far as to say that you don't need to be "smart" to do well at the firm during a presentation to all S&A interns.
    - Not very entrepreneurial on the sales side-- very little to no freedom in projects and client outreach (discourages engagement and commitment to the job).

If the Sales and Analytics program is the talent pool you're drawing from in order to fill higher positions in the firm then you will need to step up your game. At the moment, it seems as though you are doing a very poor job of retaining top talent. Try to make the analytics program consist of more than just taking chats. Ideally, you would include a component that requires some actual analysis (as the job title suggests) in order to distinguish talented individuals from non talented ones. As an employee in the analytics program you are painfully aware that in 5-10 years time your role will likely be outsourced to computers.

Terminal Sales - SF

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Secure Job is you are on your managers good side
    -Great people and community of people at Bloomberg
    -Great product- simply the best

Cons

-Pay is not great
    -No flexibility with payment & terms
    -You can be easily be replaced by a younger employee who is willing to work harder
    -Too many management shuffles
    -Very corporate from the way you dress, to admin work (putting in all notes on sales activity), required amount of meetings, calls, spoke tos...
    -Micromanagement is a norm
    -SF office has a lot of turnover with the sales people (a lot of have been at the company for YEARS!)

-Leave your people alone and don't micromanage- you are creating a hostile environment
    -Senior and more talented people will continue to leave

R&D

Former Employee - Financial Software Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good compensation and good location

Cons

Outdated technology and no smart engineers

Expected more from Bloomberg (Bloomberg Institute)

Current Employee - BAT Campus Ambassador
    Current Employee - BAT Campus Ambassador

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am a Campus Ambassador for Bloomberg Institute, and yes I know it is not too much of a prestigious position within the company, I still expected better organization from Bloomberg.
    - Remote work, a lot of freedom
    - Everything compensated for
    - Good company brand

Cons

From my experience, everything has been poorly organized
    - Long turnaround time for email responses or call backs; Reps are very hard to reach. This is very important if you are working remotely and you have deadlines to meet.
    - Was told I will be assigned to Team Leaders, whom I can report to, but I never did.
    - Was promised certain materials, but it took a really long to get them and I still haven't got all of them
    - Takes a while to get paid and the method of doing so was confusing. Took about 2 months to receive my first pay
    - Was told I will be the only ambassador on campus, then few weeks later, a few more were hired. Not that this was an personal issue, but it would have been nice to know the correct information so I could have better planned accordingly.

Please be more organized. All of us are in college and are busy with school or other jobs. The last thing we want is to stress over about not meeting a deadline due to the company's lack of communication and organization. I understand all the Reps are really busy, but we are the ambassadors working for you, and we cannot accomplish anything without your help and consent.