Bloomberg L.P.

3.6
1,289 Reviews

Bloomberg L.P. President and CEO Dan Doctoroff
Dan Doctoroff

Pros
  • great work life balance - like being in school though (in at 8 on the dot and out at 6) (in 69 reviews)

• When free food is the bigger pro you can think of, there isn't much to like about (in 173 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work-life balance; Peter Principle in effect company-wide; generally chaotic (in 34 reviews)

• Long hours, for a account manager to work 8-6 plus travel, this is rather demanding (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

Mediocre Internship Experience in Sales and Analytics

Former Employee - Sales and Analytics Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales and Analytics Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Good work life balance (as others have mentioned: in at 8, out by 5)
    - Young office feel. The vast majority of the employees I interacted with were fresh out of college or only several years out. Accordingly, there was lots of energy and opportunities to make friends.
    - Very rigorous training program on the Bloomberg (opportunity to get some exposure to financial markets training for liberal arts majors)
    - Arguably decent entry-level pay although not comparable to actual finance jobs
    - Pantry

Cons

- Poor quality of hires as there are not very many incentives for talented individuals (not surprisingly, the firm has a very hard time recruiting at strong schools)
    - VERY political. The experience felt above all else like a crash course on brown nosing (this is quite possibly the only transferable skill you will acquire in your time at ADSK). Advancement and success did not seem to be primarily based on creativity, intelligence, or even sheer effort.
    - Poor long term career prospects and exit opportunities. You basically either advance in Analytics or move to Sales.
    - There is a feeling of constantly being surveilled. In this sense, employees are treated somewhat like children (cultivates a culture of fear to a certain extent).
    - ADSK job is rather mind numbing. It is generally perceived as a glorified help desk and you get very little respect from the finance community, i.e. your clients. Clients often berate ADSK employees for problems out of their control.
    - Not very intellectually stimulating tasks or peers. One head sales guy even went as far as to say that you don't need to be "smart" to do well at the firm during a presentation to all S&A interns.
    - Not very entrepreneurial on the sales side-- very little to no freedom in projects and client outreach (discourages engagement and commitment to the job).

If the Sales and Analytics program is the talent pool you're drawing from in order to fill higher positions in the firm then you will need to step up your game. At the moment, it seems as though you are doing a very poor job of retaining top talent. Try to make the analytics program consist of more than just taking chats. Ideally, you would include a component that requires some actual analysis (as the job title suggests) in order to distinguish talented individuals from non talented ones. As an employee in the analytics program you are painfully aware that in 5-10 years time your role will likely be outsourced to computers.

Terminal Sales - SF

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Secure Job is you are on your managers good side
    -Great people and community of people at Bloomberg
    -Great product- simply the best

Cons

-Pay is not great
    -No flexibility with payment & terms
    -You can be easily be replaced by a younger employee who is willing to work harder
    -Too many management shuffles
    -Very corporate from the way you dress, to admin work (putting in all notes on sales activity), required amount of meetings, calls, spoke tos...
    -Micromanagement is a norm
    -SF office has a lot of turnover with the sales people (a lot of have been at the company for YEARS!)

-Leave your people alone and don't micromanage- you are creating a hostile environment
    -Senior and more talented people will continue to leave

R&D

Former Employee - Financial Software Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good compensation and good location

Cons

Outdated technology and no smart engineers

Data Analyst - Temp

Current Employee - Data Analyst (Temp) in Skillman, NJ
    Current Employee - Data Analyst (Temp) in Skillman, NJ

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You get free breakfast (continental) and lunch, as well as snacks pretty much whenever you want. You don't have a whole lot of responsibility. Temps usually stick together, so you'll have plenty of workmates to commiserate with. If you're looking for a job that pays about $16/hr and fairly mindless work, sign up. The qualifications to become a temp is having a clean record and a finance/accounting/econ bachelors degree and a pulse. But on the plus side, they don't dare expect you to log more than your 8 hours (+30 minute lunch) a day. Even the jerks there respect that.

Cons

Temps are usually ignored or basically given permanent employees' work when they are too busy or too lazy to do. I don't really ever have any contact with the team leader unless there's a serious problem with a project. Some won't bother to learn your name or even address you as something other than "temp". Some people will treat you like a gopher or an idiot but with that said, there are some genuinely nice permanent employees - they just can't do anything for you or are too busy to give you guidance. I think in order to get anything out of this fairly miserable experience, you've got to be a self-starter, that is learn the terminal as quickly and as deeply as possible as it's widely used out there in the finance world (Mike Bloomberg didn't get to be a billionaire for nothing) and learn from ADSKs to see what outsider Bloomberg Terminal users use the terminal for (You will probably benefit from your exposure to Bloomberg on the inside when you inevitably have had enough and lead). Your skills will go unnoticed - all of them. They hire entry-level permanent employees in this order: Interns, outside applicants and then temps. Know one thing for certain: this is only a stop-gap. You pretty much have zero chance to advance. After a month or two you'll be searching for jobs. So sorry to be a downer but it's best you know all this in advance.

My commute is really bad, but even that can't be blamed on the company.

Don't just look to outsiders and former interns for permanent positions. You have temps right under your nose ready and willing to help your business to grow. It is a humiliating and demoralizing experience when you see the absolute morons and jerks in permanent positions succeed and you get passed over and over for an opportunity to become a permanent employee.

Great place to start a career in finance.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Excellent finance training program
    - Amazing benefits
    - Advancement is based on merit, not time at company
    - Fun work environment
    - Job security

Cons

- Job security creates environment where employees do minimum to stay employed. Happens after being at the company for a number of years and reaching a desirable salary.

Expected more from Bloomberg (Bloomberg Institute)

Current Employee - BAT Campus Ambassador
    Current Employee - BAT Campus Ambassador

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am a Campus Ambassador for Bloomberg Institute, and yes I know it is not too much of a prestigious position within the company, I still expected better organization from Bloomberg.
    - Remote work, a lot of freedom
    - Everything compensated for
    - Good company brand

Cons

From my experience, everything has been poorly organized
    - Long turnaround time for email responses or call backs; Reps are very hard to reach. This is very important if you are working remotely and you have deadlines to meet.
    - Was told I will be assigned to Team Leaders, whom I can report to, but I never did.
    - Was promised certain materials, but it took a really long to get them and I still haven't got all of them
    - Takes a while to get paid and the method of doing so was confusing. Took about 2 months to receive my first pay
    - Was told I will be the only ambassador on campus, then few weeks later, a few more were hired. Not that this was an personal issue, but it would have been nice to know the correct information so I could have better planned accordingly.

Please be more organized. All of us are in college and are busy with school or other jobs. The last thing we want is to stress over about not meeting a deadline due to the company's lack of communication and organization. I understand all the Reps are really busy, but we are the ambassadors working for you, and we cannot accomplish anything without your help and consent.

temporary

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Edison, NJ

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

free food parking 8 hours

Cons

15 per hour
    no any other benefit

nothing

I have been working in this company for 1 year and its really a bad company has a serious culture problem.

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time

Pros

"You must enter at least 5 words for Pros."

Cons

Bad corporate culture;
    Career path is a problem;
    Leader lacks of long-term perspective.
    Take advantage of unpaid Intern and use unpaid interns as a replacement for regular employees.
    As far as I know this company also takes advantage of international students and pay min wage to international students who with a master degree. ( They use H1B sponsorship to attract international students )

good starting place for new grad

I worked at Bloomberg L.P.

Pros

agile and fast pace and business driven. Results get u recognized quickly.

Cons

No growth room. Some first line mgrs are not seasoned enough.

Software Engineer

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P.

Pros

It was a great experience. Please brush up OOPS concepts

Cons

More of memory management questions