Bloomingdale's

Bloomingdale's CEO Tony Spring

Tony Spring

104 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun place to work

Sales Support Associate (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsAlways something going on. Never a dull moment

ConsCan be a long day

Too close for comfort

Sales Professional (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe staff, the tourists, and the area makes Soho an inviting area to work. However, some management can be difficult to work for.

ConsThere are too many people employed in a highly competitive, commission driven environment. Either be the shark or be eaten by the sharks, and I'm referring to the women's designer shoes department.

Advice to Senior ManagementRather than constantly giving directions, perhaps roll up your sleeves and pitch in when it's busy.

sales

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsIt's a fun place to work, nice coworkers, good employee discounts and a good place to learn fashion.

Consneed to wear all black all the time, and the training process was way too long.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exciting Environment

Sales Professional (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsOne of the better high end department stores to work for - exposure to high end designers - gain great retail experience

Constoo much micromanaging - slow growth

Advice to Senior Managementreward the high achievers

Wonderful place to work

Graphic Designer (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat work environment, awesome team to work with everyday, great positive attitudes from everyone, awesome discount(plus sample sales!) overall I love coming to work everyday

ConsHave been here for just about a year and I keep hearing that opportunities to move up in the company are slim. The work space could be renovated a bit into a more open layout. Cubicles are alright but the high walls are not conducive to interaction with others.

HUGE disconnect between management and employees!

Sales Specialist (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsIn the four years I've worked at Bloomingdale's, I've made a new family. That family was my coworkers, and just my coworkers. Almost everyone in my department wanted the best for one another and there was a support system like no other. We all encouraged each other and helped each other achieve our goals.

ConsANYTHING that goes wrong is the employees fault. Department didn't meet sales goal?; employees fault. Customers are making too many returns?; employees fault. Visual display doesn't make sense?; employees fault. Elevator broke down?; employees fault. Toilets clogged?; employees fault. Hunger issues on the planet?; employees fault! I kid you not! Management would go around the store and pretty much harass employees to donate money out of our paychecks to a charity of the stores choice. Not right. I've said no many times and the same managers would come around begging until I gave in, just to be the top participating department. I get its for a good cause, but most employees already struggle enough. Employees are always blamed for everything. My coworkers and I could kick butt, be busy around the clock and have stellar customer service reviews. But if we missed the department's goal by a minuscule margin; we'd be scolded for not trying hard enough. There are so many things that an employee needs to do on a daily basis that it will someway, somehow give management a route to talk down to us when we just slightly miss the mark. We need to sell the store credit card, loyalty card, reach our daily goal, weekly goal, monthly goal, yearly goal, "presage" goal for every sale, goal during a sales event, goal for calling enough customers for EVERY sale, goal for having enough pending orders, goal for selling quantity of new products. Normally, all of these goals shouldn't bother an employee thats paid to do this, but management is completely flawed in this building. Management would try to encourage us by instilling fear in entire departments at daily meetings. We never heard "thank you" or "great job". We always heard, "are you calling your customers?", "You're not even close to your goal, work harder or you'll be written up." Managers would always contradict each other. One would tell us to maintain the sales floor to keep sales up and another manager would tell us to stop and just sell since maintaining is not our job. Then the manager would run to their office and disappear for the rest of the day. Don't hold your breath on moving up the ladder. I've never witnessed or experienced anyone being groomed for a better position. Management usually moved up the ladder, but management was replaced by hires from the outside. We were never presented with any opportunities. We had to discover them on our own and FIGHT to just be considered; which usually meant, "we'll see how you do on your next review." And forget about voicing your opinion at the annual round table meetings with human resources. Nothing EVER comes of it. Nothing changes. And if it does, it's too little, too late!

Advice to Senior ManagementBloomingdale's is a SALES driven company. Who closes the sales? Your employees. Listen to them! They are your direct connection to your customers. And when you do listen to your employees, try to implement more of their ideas. Cumulatively, you have centuries of experience and LOADS of talent in just one building! They are already on the payroll; why not use the resources that you're already paying for? Stop the disciplinary threats. Stop instilling fear! Be more involved, get your hands dirty, get yelled at by a customer and don't say you are (upper) management. Go a week in our shoes! The bonuses you get is because of the hard work we did. A pizza party doesn't pay our bills or says thank you. "Thank you" says thank you! Embrace the mistakes that your employees make. We're all human. I have my own company now and I never scare my employees the way I was scared on a daily basis. My employees know that it is ok to make mistakes. Their jobs will not be at risk. They are more valuable to me having learned from their mistakes, than working in fear and potentially make more or far worse mistakes. I'd say be "more" compassionate, but management at Bloomingdale's should first learn what compassion is! And its ok to be friends with your employees. If they don't enjoy working for you, then they are just coming in for a paycheck. Only a handful of employees go above and beyond now. And the rest, which is the majority, are just doing their job and collecting their pay at the end of the week. That process doesn't help a company grow. Treat your employees as you treat your customers.

Few are Highly Favored

Sales (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat discount on merchandise, decent pay.

ConsSome of the people they had hired for management were definitely not cut out for the job. Open late nights for sales that customers are unaware of.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't overlook the people who are good at what they do. Promotions should be based firstly on one's ability not on who you would like as a friend. Training has not prepared associates well enough to manage what actually happens in the store.

regime change

Associate Design Director (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

Proscreativity, high fashion, contemporary products

Consinternal politics conflict with quarterly goals

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on the micro more

Great Holiday Experience!

Holiday Recovery Support (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsYou received good discounts, the hours were perfect, the employees were very friendly, and there was not any stress here.

ConsThere was low pay for the amount of work they wanted you to do. Also, opportunities to advance in the company weren't available like they stated during orientation.

Great Work Environment

Loss Prevention Detective (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsI can't speak for all Bloomingdale's stores but working at the flagship on 59th street is a great experience. You get to see famous people and super high end fashion daily. The people are great to work with, although you have your normal office politics, but that's anywhere you go.

ConsCompensation could be a little better for support staff

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Bloomingdale's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bloomingdale's reviews and ratings in New York, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bloomingdale's CEO Tony Spring. All 104 reviews posted anonymously by Bloomingdale's employees.