Bloomingdale's

Updated September 18, 2014
2.8

Bloomingdale's CEO Tony Spring
Tony Spring

Pros
  • Employee Discount if you can afford to buy anything on your meager poverty-level salary (in 62 reviews)

• Great discount and Bloomingdale's looks great on your resume (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Huge disconnect between salaried management and commissioned sales associates (in 40 reviews)

• Reviews are primarily based on credit card applications taken and not on actual service (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

lots of walking on concrete for 9 hours in ballet flats or heels waiting on pushy, impatient customers.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Bloomingdale's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay is on draw, not hourly so your hourly gets deducted from your exceeding commission. However, usually it works in your favor.

Cons

If you work November through Christmas, the pay can be amazing, even up to a grand a week on my best checks but if you stay with the company from January to June or July, you will suffer from Christmas returns and owing the company money for each return they originally paid you for which gets deducted out of what you would be making during those months. Also, management has been under significant pressure to increase sales so they tripled the staff. Now instead of it being a one to one ratio (customer to sales person), there are about 3-4 sales people per customer. In a commission only environment, if you're not the one selling to the customer, you're the one not making money that week.

Stop over hiring and creating a hostile, competitive work environment that annoys customers and forces desperate sales reps to act like vultures just to get by.

Mediocrity is the rule, but the trade off is an amazing work-life balance.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than a year

Pros

-great work-life balance: managers do not want you working over 40 hours and if you must, it's capped at 2 overtime hours unless you get prior approval
    -great vacation policy: new employees start with 3 weeks of vacation days
    -benefits: employee discounts, summer fridays, an obscene amount of sample sales, great professional training, flexible work schedule (e.g. 8-5, 9-6 or 10-7)
    -most people coast through their jobs so if you're looking for a low-stress company…you've found it

Cons

-do not come here as an entry-level employee; there aren't opportunities to broaden your skillset because it's such a slow-moving corporate environment
    -poor technology: from its IT team to the software the company uses, everything is fairly outdated and incapable of keeping pace with most other retailers
    -a do-enough-to-get-by mindset: managers and peers are focused on getting just enough done vs. going the extra mile to refine ineffective processes
    -company is slow to fire problem employees (seemingly) due to fear of lawsuits; rather the solution is to "promote" problem employees to a different department and hope for the best
    -moving within the company is encouraged in public, but frowned upon in practice due to internal politics
    -rather than push slow employees to develop better work habits, managers will increase team counts and freelance help vs. deal with the individuals
    -few opportunities for promotion

-incentivize employees to work harder (e.g. more opportunities for career growth, etc)
    -take quicker action to push problem employees to improve themselves or exit the company immediately; problem employees are unproductive and lower the morale of those who are productive

great discount

Current Employee - Sales Professional  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Bloomingdale's part-time for less than a year

Pros

great employee discount,
    nice coworker if you work non draw,
    flexible schedule,
    nice day off policy,

Cons

if work draw, high pressure. other coworker may steal your sale.
    if work non-draw, commission is very low, base is low too,
    no room to growth,
    client book has to be improved,
    schedule is flexible, but not stable. it changes every week. For part timer, baby shift is a pain. You have drive 30 mins to work for only 3 hours.

For part timers, it is better to give them a long shift and less work days, rather than give them so many work days only for working 3 hours.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unorganized

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Good Salary
    -Good Training
    -Friendly managers
    -Comission
    -friendly coworkers

Cons

-Unorganized
    -Low morale
    -Slow business
    -rude customers
    -long hours

Great place to work. They offer competitive pay, benefits and discounts. Professional environment.

Former Employee - Manager  in  Newport Coast, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Newport Coast, CA

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good communication between management team. Supportive, healthy interaction between management team on all levels. All team members seemed to be invested in the company.

Cons

A lot of restructuring from year to year. Could use a technology and applications update, some reporting systems are very outdated.

Overall good experience and culture. Make managers jobs easier by investing in reporting software and local store operators. It can be difficult to reach people when calling into the store. Also would benefit the company to place greater emphasis on service.

great experience

Former Employee - Cosmetic Sales  in  Hackensack, NJ
    Former Employee - Cosmetic Sales in Hackensack, NJ

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

the employee discount and commission and working in the fashion world

Cons

the low pay if you don't have a job with commision.. working weekends and evenings. standing all day.

treat all employees with respect

Perfect for Part-time

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Great as a part time job, flexible hours for part time along with having to deal with less drama. Possibility to make commission in a draw vs. commission department.

Cons

A lot of rivalry due to sales ownership, and stealing of other associates sales. A lot of stress and drama if working full time. Goals are often unreasonable. Not very busy throughout the year making it difficult to make numbers.

Make reasonable goals for your associates.

No regrets. Live and learn. For retail, it wasn't bad.

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

I have worked retail for a long time and this was my favorite team I have ever worked with. I miss them so much.

For retail, it was pretty good. Great vendor seminars and sometimes even free product.

I actually respect how unlike other retailers, Bloomingdales values a college education enough to only promote from within if you have a bachelors.

Great assortment, great discount, and most managers in the downtown San Francisco store are high quality experienced people.

Cons

Very political back door politics. My divisional was notorious for firing anyone just because he didn't like them as a person and didn't want to work with them anymore. That is not respectable, and it should never have employers in fear,

Draw vs commission is beneficial to them, but very horrifying for employees who slave away making a 2500 sale and then having their hard work ripped out of their wallet when they finally have a day off. All of their competitors pay that way though, so that one will unfortunately never change. I finally left retail altogether and I work for an amazing fashion startup that provides lunch, holiday parties on yahts and sporting events! And unlike Bloomingdales and other retailers, they invest in their people and promote from within. They love upward climb and they are all about trusting their employees to be supervisors before burning out from 800 years of experience. I get every Sunday off. Leaving was a great choice .

Invest and you will not have turnover. Make it a place people refuse to leave or else they will always seek to do better.

Good Pay to start out and a family vibe for employees

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Intimate co worker relations, meaning its like a family, lots of charity work and great discounts, good vacation time

Cons

They pay well up front but then don't give room for greater growth in raises

There needs to be more room for pay raises with promotions

Great People at Bloomingdale's

Former Employee - Sku Set-up Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sku Set-up Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Full Benefits, Good Salary, Good People. I had a good time with Bloomingdale's. This famous company allowed me to build lasting personal relationships.

Cons

My only little gripe was that is was very politically correct. That is not like me, I am much too independent minded an slightly old fashioned, conservative if you please!

I would say there is little advice to management. They do an excellent job overall. They pay great attention to benefits, work-life balance and company values. No complaints here.

Worked for Bloomingdale's? Contribute to the Community!