Bloomingdale's

Bloomingdale's Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Bloomingdale's CEO Tony Spring

Tony Spring

Pros
  • Employee Discount if you can afford to buy anything on your meager poverty-level salary(in 62 reviews)

• Great discount and Bloomingdale's looks great on your resume(in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Huge disconnect between salaried management and commissioned sales associates(in 40 reviews)

• Reviews are primarily based on credit card applications taken and not on actual service(in 29 reviews)

Exciting & reward Retailer like No other

ProsOpportunities to grow. Great Salary.

ConsRetail schedule not for some individuals.

Great option in the world of retail

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsVery pleasant work environment. As a lover of luxury retail, I can't deny that spending 40 hours a week in a beautiful department store is so bad. Reasonable expectations and sales goals in most departments. Some areas offer commission sales and other selling perks. Employee discount is pretty good, and vacation time, 401k, and other benefits are average.

ConsAs with any retailer, hours are irregular (weekends, late nights, early mornings, etc.). However, they're very conscious of overtime so you'll never work more than 36-40 hours if you don't want to. Their part-time and contingent schedules seem to be pretty flexible.

Don't expect to move up in the company. If you start as a sales associate, you will always be a sales associate. Management make it nearly impossible to even move between departments if you find yourself in an area you don't feel is suited for you. In short, expect to be stuck with the position you're hired for. This company does not promote from within at the store level.

Advice to Senior ManagementI realize not every sales associate has what it takes to advance, but acknowledge and reward those who strive for more.

Loved working here

Sales Professional (Former Employee) Short Hills, NJ

ProsEmployee discount
    Great team to work with
    Great management
    Wonderful environment

ConsI worked here as a seasonal sales pro , pay was 10.00hr . After my seasonal position ended , i found it veryyy hard to get back in and work as a full time regular

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bloomingdale's is a good place for people starting off and if you love fashion, they give one hella of a discount.

Sales Professional (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe discounts are great. Commission and opening credit cards can increase your pay and sometimes you receive gratis.

ConsThere doesn't seem to be an equal opportunity for advancement. Management is inconsistent and sometimes i don't understand how some people have been qualified for the job they are placed.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvided associates with the materials they need in order to work efficiently. Spend some time engaging with sales professionals because they are the ones that are producing your results.

Traditional luxury brand retailer

Manager of Human Resources (Current Employee)

ProsA fair degree of autonomy, employee discount

ConsThe company is big on committees and subcomittees (meetings upon meetings), change averse

If you like client calling for sales... this is a place for you.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe discount is amazing... the people I worked with were amazing... my manager was amazing...

ConsCold calling customers, not so fun. Excessive presale events and unrealistic sales goals for a location with very little foot traffic.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure client based calling and sales, focus more on conversion.

Great company

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Chevy Chase, MD

ProsGreat people, room for advancement, great retail hours

ConsHigh turnover, long hours during events, low morale,

Advice to Senior ManagementShoww appreciation more on a one on one basic to build morale

Great Management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful team of business professionals, Good training and fair compensation based on experience.

ConsWorking evenings and weekends. Not enough staff at certain times.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain great communication among all employees

Fantastic!

Sales Professional (Former Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

ProsWeekly pay
    great co-workers and managers
    great discounts!!
    company culture

Consneed a degree to be considered for a manager in training position
    sometimes they cut hours (reasonable)
    the typical stresses of working in a retail environment ("customer is always right")
    depending on your manager/department, you can be pushed really hard to make client calls and sales

Advice to Senior ManagementI liked pretty much everyone in management, even the higher-up's. They knew me by name, even with hundreds of employees working there, and I was always recognized for the goals I made or exceeded. I'd just like to see management stand up to customers, rather than appeasing them (when they know they're wrong) for the sake of a sale.

Fun place to work

Sales Support Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsAlways something going on. Never a dull moment

ConsCan be a long day

Worked for Bloomingdale's? Contribute to the Community!