Bloomingdale's

Updated January 30, 2015
2.8

Bloomingdale's CEO Tony Spring
Tony Spring

Pros
  • Employee Discount if you can afford to buy anything on your meager poverty-level salary (in 75 reviews)

• Great discount and Bloomingdale's looks great on your resume (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Huge disconnect between salaried management and commissioned sales associates (in 46 reviews)

• Reviews are primarily based on credit card applications taken and not on actual service (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Discount on merchandise and beautiful store to work in

Cons

Miserable sales team. They will work you hard and dont appreciate you

Value your staff more

Anti Union

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Bloomingdale's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and great products.

Cons

Understaffed, overworked, catty environment, weak benefits, low discounts, and VERY ANTI-UNION!

Modern Day Slavery

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Can be fun, a diverse team in the mix

Cons

Over staffed / highly competitive and we get hit on returns against commission. Customers treat bloomingdales as a high end fashion library, they purchase garments, wear them, then return unlaundered for a full refund - bloomingdales return policy is open ended therefore encouraging this 'leasing' system.

bloomingdales choose to offer an open ended return policy - which is fine - but it is unfair associates are the ones who get hit up to and beyond 180 days!!!

Terrible leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chestnut Hill, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chestnut Hill, MA

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

There are no pros- do not work at Chestnut Hill Bloomingdales

Cons

The executive team is cold, and I would not be exaggerating to say they probably couldn't tell you the names of the majority of employees.

They rarely promote from within and minorities are not promoted or given management roles.

The pay rate is low and they have been known to purposely sabotage people reviews to prevent them from receiving a raise.

During the holiday season executives receive annual bonuses. However hourly, non-commissioned employees do not. The only way to make additional money during the season is with overtime. Unfortunately, the operation manager's bonus is dependent on keeping payroll on budget.. So that means the majority of the support staff sees no extra pay during the holidays.

The company is owned by Macy's, so increasingly becoming less of a luxury department store

One of the worst employee discounts in the business

Again I must stress, the worst executive team ever, they genuinely feel nothing but disdain for their employees

Smile! Speak to people, learn people's names. Don't hide in your office all day. Lead by example. Appreciate your talented staff and promote from within. Don't just preach about diversity, go out and recruit diversity.

Run to the nearest exit! Take any other job offer and avoid retail jobs.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good health and dental plans. good 401k benefit

Cons

They use you up, burn you out, and then kick you out. You have no value to them as a person and your only worth is the dollar amounts that you can steadily produce. This is reflected in the annual performance review and you are only evaluated on your numbers. The turnover is so high and most employees are very unhappy. You have no personal life because of a rotating work schedule that is always wrong, and the schedule can change overnight and no one will notify you of the changes. Retail is becoming a dying dinosaur and the retail businesses are not doing anything different to deal with the changing times. No new business plan, no creative solutions to problems. The department managers are corporate drones who regularly lie, and their way of dealing with problems in the workplace is to avoid them. Retail used to be a pleasant and friendly place to work, and now it is simply dog eat dog work environment. The company's expectations of the sales people is that we are small business owners, when in reality we are only clerks working for low wages in a department store.

Management needs training on conflict resolution skills. All managers need training in in Best Practices HR. I have never experienced such incompetence, lying, negligence, and manipulation that is found in upper management. This is not only business as usual, it is found company wide as acceptable business practice. HR managers are incompetent and lack and professionalism.

Don't be fooled

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Chestnut Hill, MA
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Chestnut Hill, MA

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The only pro I could think of is the employee discount, which is only good if you are into the designer clothes and cosmetics.

If you're out of work and need a job, take a job here just to keep your resume current.

Cons

Management is a joke. They may make you believe they care about employees, but they don't. You're just a number. If you should decide to resign, forget about an exit interview. They already know why you're leaving.

Don't be fooled by most of your coworkers. Given the choice, they will stab you in the back.

They keep pushing you to open charge cards. They give you a little bonus ($2-5) for doing so, but they also deduct an amount from your commissions that is greater.

Everyone is micromanaged. Managed by fear. Creativity is not permitted. Thinking out of the box? Forget it.

Starting the new year, medical benefits have been reduced dramaticially. A single person will have a $3000 deductiible before benefits kick in.

Make some changes or you'll be doomed like other brick and mortar stores.

Run Away As Fast As You Can & Don't Look Back.

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent discount on clothing but the discount on stuff for the home, cosmetics, etc is not worth the hoops you jump through to get it.
    Some nice people who know what they are doing but they are few and far between, especially in the western region.

Cons

Every location is like working for a different company, especially in the western region. No consistency from store to store.
    Macy's owned and operated, the higher ups are mostly from Macy's and have a Macy's mentality and as a result the company went from two sales per year to two a minimum of two sales a month.
    What they refer to as clienteling is really telemarketing. Sales people constantly have to call customers for sales and made up reason to meet a goal resulting in angry customers.
    Loss Prevention keeps focus on employees (chatting, dating and sleeping with them) while thieves walk out with their booster bags full bags overflowing.
    Pay structure for sales associates is awful and varies from store to store. Mostly draw vs commission w/ a never ending return policy and returns affect sales people for six months. Bloomingdale's will take back anything, in an condition therefore creating return junkies/wardrobe borrowers who buy, wear, return and if you dare say no...any senior manager will say yes.
    Sales managers usually turn over annually.
    The company lays off managers every January and combines positions.
    Demotions.........I have seen so many managers demoted after 10+ years of service with great reviews, just to justify a pay cut for the budget.

Stop the BS seasonal visits where we get to speak to you for approximately 5 minutes while you are walking away from me. If you really care about my opinion then step down from your pedestal and spend the necessary time speaking to me and listening to me or stop wasting our time and company money for meaningless store visits.
    A visit from The Pope would be less stressful than one from corporate.

Tell your buyers that I suggest brands and items to them because customers are consistently asking for things that we don't carry. It is not a personal attack on what you have already bought for the store.

Message to RMM's...............I can not for the life of me figure out why your job exists except to create more bureaucracy and slow things down even more.

Worst job ever!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is a Magnolia Bakery inside.

Cons

Everyone is really catty and competitive with their sales numbers and clientele. There are a lot of employees that's been there for over 10 years, and they typically don't like it when new girls gets hired. The customers treat the associates like we're beneath them. I worked at the flagship store in NY, so I understand if other people in a smaller store has a different experience.

Be more aware of how employees are treating other employees.

loss prevention detective

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

close to my house for driving

Cons

no communication, horrible mgmt, no respect

show respect

Bloomingdales Short Hills New Jersey

Current Employee - Sales in Short Hills, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales in Short Hills, NJ

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

nice environment, lots of activity, busy day, constant activity

Cons

negative inexperienced management, nothing is ever good enough, they drive you into the ground, constant goals, no appreciation, unless you're outstanding you are considered inferior, managers are rude and self serving and care only about themselves, phony store manager, no respect for personal needs

hire managers with experience who really care and want to help and who care about the sales people as humans

Bloomingdale's Photos

Outside of the Flagship store for Bloomingdale's department store, located on Lexington Avenue in New York City. (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.2)
The Fortress that is the Beverly Center