Bloomingdale's

Updated December 15, 2014
2.9

Bloomingdale's CEO Tony Spring
Tony Spring

Pros
  • Employee Discount if you can afford to buy anything on your meager poverty-level salary (in 75 reviews)

• Great discount and Bloomingdale's looks great on your resume (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Huge disconnect between salaried management and commissioned sales associates (in 46 reviews)

• Reviews are primarily based on credit card applications taken and not on actual service (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

turn over rate super high. management doesn't value employees just $$

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Great commission during holiday, and great discounts on clothes.

Cons

turn over rate super high. management doesn't value employees just $$. they will find reasons to fire you. hours aren't flexible and you get chastised for being 1min late... like literally 1min.... 5times and your fired.... the definition of punching a clock.

Great place, not for me.

Current Employee - Selling Manager
    Current Employee - Selling Manager

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, people, discount, fashion.

Cons

Very structured with not much flexibility.

Decent and Competitive

Former Employee - Seasonal Stock and Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Seasonal Stock and Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Great experience. Fun environment. Had a lot of fun meeting high end clients! Managers were nice! Seasonal Job was an absolutely great opportunity.

Cons

not much supervision. you do what you want to do and sometimes you don't really know what to do in a situation.

Okay

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with people was fun

Cons

Commission. And it's dificult to meet sales goals in certain departments.

Learn some compassion for employees when a health issue arises

Buying Summer Intern (Executive Development Program)

I worked at Bloomingdale's as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great location in NYC, very corporate minded if you're into that, you get to wear lots of black, employee discount during special dates (normal discount is pretty meager)

Cons

Culture in the buying/planning departments is very stifling, barely get paid enough to attempt to afford living expenses in NYC, work (particularly for the MAs and even up to the buying roles) is monotonous, everyone is constantly talking about weddings/engagements/pregnancies/their children

Sales specialist

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not a pressured environment good hours and being the only Bloomies in San Diego

Cons

People don't shop here to much because they prefer to go to Nordies because of our snooty reputation

Resting on laurels while falling behind

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No other company does a better job of selling the possibilities and potential for growth, and my co-workers are some of the hardest working people I've ever met. The discount is good, if you are making enough to actually spend money at the store, but the quality of merchandise is less than great.

Cons

Executive management is extremely weak, the potential that is used to attract good sales people is non-existent as the management trainees are brought in from outside, and the overall atmosphere is simply depressing as the churn rate is extraordinarily high. From the training sessions that waste time to the relentless drive to push credit rather than actually clientele to the terribly out of date computer software that impedes the ability to serve customers to the complete lack of executive leadership in the store, this entire experience has been an excellent example of why the department store retail business has lost its appeal for the consumer and why the best sales people are jumping ship.

Bloomingdale's needs to decide whether it's going to be a high-end luxury store or a high-volume lower-priced alternative to the high-end luxury stores. If it's going to go for high-end luxury, then it needs to behave the way high-end stores do and stop advertising sales every other week and holding discounted merchandise on the floor for weeks at a time so that sales associates can actually clientele. If it is going to go for the high volume approach, then it needs to stop pretending that customers are doing anything but shopping the sales.

I am working as a seasonal part-time until Jan.3rd

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Professional in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Professional in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomingdale's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

really great discount for employees, really nice co-workers, flexible schedule!

Cons

when it's a crazy busy day, nobody really clean the fitting rooms and careless customer service. No one really cares if we still have enough shopping bags, they just blamed each other when they found out there is no bags...
    Working hard = More money.

They are very nice and helpful!

Amazing people

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Good environment and maangers rock

Cons

None at all. They're very easy going but definitely sales aggressive which is good for me.

Nice discount, poor management, a learning experience.

Former Employee - Sales Professional
    Former Employee - Sales Professional

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Wages are higher here than most retail jobs, $11-13 an hour and the employee discount is good, ranging from 20-36%. Good health insurance, vacation and and 401k. I became friendly with several of my regular customers, so there are some networking opportunities here. I am now a better salesperson, so it was a good learning experience. Coworkers became good friends that I looked forward to seeing each day.

Cons

The hours and schedule are terrible. Learning the various sales promotions is a challenge and requires a lot of telemarketing. You are seldom congratulated for making a big (over $10,000) sale and never thanked for staying late or working harder when a coworker calls out. The managers play favorites and are very rude to underperforming workers in an effort to get them to quit. The technology and ordering system is not up to date. There is little room for promotion. The training is inconsistent or in some cases nonexistent. The music is in poor taste.

Mentor the underachievers instead of making them feel stupid and worthless. I would have loved the opportunity to shadow a top producer for a few weeks to learn how I might improve my sales. Please don't talk about the numbers so much. There is too much focus on the numbers and how you compare to your coworker's sales statistics. Encourage more teamwork by focusing on the team's number instead of the individual. Please ask your associates their opinions on a more regular basis instead of once a year. Promote from within. If you see that a worker has potential, encourage them to seek a promotion to team leader and let them know how to achieve that goal. The morning rallies are insulting. Yes, we like the extra account payout, but please stop making it like a game-"what should we give the kids today if they are extra good and open two account?" It's silly. We are grown professionals, please stop with the cheerleading. This is a business, not a game show or a kindergarten. I know you are trying to make it fun, but it's depressing to start the day with the feeling you must grovel for an extra ten bucks.

Bloomingdale's Photos

Outside of the Flagship store for Bloomingdale's department store, located on Lexington Avenue in New York City. (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.2)
The Fortress that is the Beverly Center