Bloomingdale's

Updated December 15, 2014
2.9

Bloomingdale's CEO Tony Spring
Tony Spring

Pros
  • Employee Discount if you can afford to buy anything on your meager poverty-level salary (in 75 reviews)

• Great discount and Bloomingdale's looks great on your resume (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Huge disconnect between salaried management and commissioned sales associates (in 46 reviews)

• Reviews are primarily based on credit card applications taken and not on actual service (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

My experience at Bloomingdales is extremely enjoyable!

Current Employee - Sales Professional in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Bloomingdale's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The amount that you can sell has no limit and it has a great employee program. This company will allow you to move up if you open your mind to it.

Cons

The executive training program is not as great as it seems. It takes extremely too long to become a store manager.

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Bloomingdale's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good paying job. Great employee discounts. Enjoyed working with other associates. High end merchandise. Flexible scheduling.

Cons

Need better communication with upper management. More efficient product trainings would benefit sales associates. Limited opportunities for advancement.

turn over rate super high. management doesn't value employees just $$

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Great commission during holiday, and great discounts on clothes.

Cons

turn over rate super high. management doesn't value employees just $$. they will find reasons to fire you. hours aren't flexible and you get chastised for being 1min late... like literally 1min.... 5times and your fired.... the definition of punching a clock.

Resting on laurels while falling behind

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No other company does a better job of selling the possibilities and potential for growth, and my co-workers are some of the hardest working people I've ever met. The discount is good, if you are making enough to actually spend money at the store, but the quality of merchandise is less than great.

Cons

Executive management is extremely weak, the potential that is used to attract good sales people is non-existent as the management trainees are brought in from outside, and the overall atmosphere is simply depressing as the churn rate is extraordinarily high. From the training sessions that waste time to the relentless drive to push credit rather than actually clientele to the terribly out of date computer software that impedes the ability to serve customers to the complete lack of executive leadership in the store, this entire experience has been an excellent example of why the department store retail business has lost its appeal for the consumer and why the best sales people are jumping ship.

Bloomingdale's needs to decide whether it's going to be a high-end luxury store or a high-volume lower-priced alternative to the high-end luxury stores. If it's going to go for high-end luxury, then it needs to behave the way high-end stores do and stop advertising sales every other week and holding discounted merchandise on the floor for weeks at a time so that sales associates can actually clientele. If it is going to go for the high volume approach, then it needs to stop pretending that customers are doing anything but shopping the sales.

Nice discount, poor management, a learning experience.

Former Employee - Sales Professional
    Former Employee - Sales Professional

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Wages are higher here than most retail jobs, $11-13 an hour and the employee discount is good, ranging from 20-36%. Good health insurance, vacation and and 401k. I became friendly with several of my regular customers, so there are some networking opportunities here. I am now a better salesperson, so it was a good learning experience. Coworkers became good friends that I looked forward to seeing each day.

Cons

The hours and schedule are terrible. Learning the various sales promotions is a challenge and requires a lot of telemarketing. You are seldom congratulated for making a big (over $10,000) sale and never thanked for staying late or working harder when a coworker calls out. The managers play favorites and are very rude to underperforming workers in an effort to get them to quit. The technology and ordering system is not up to date. There is little room for promotion. The training is inconsistent or in some cases nonexistent. The music is in poor taste.

Mentor the underachievers instead of making them feel stupid and worthless. I would have loved the opportunity to shadow a top producer for a few weeks to learn how I might improve my sales. Please don't talk about the numbers so much. There is too much focus on the numbers and how you compare to your coworker's sales statistics. Encourage more teamwork by focusing on the team's number instead of the individual. Please ask your associates their opinions on a more regular basis instead of once a year. Promote from within. If you see that a worker has potential, encourage them to seek a promotion to team leader and let them know how to achieve that goal. The morning rallies are insulting. Yes, we like the extra account payout, but please stop making it like a game-"what should we give the kids today if they are extra good and open two account?" It's silly. We are grown professionals, please stop with the cheerleading. This is a business, not a game show or a kindergarten. I know you are trying to make it fun, but it's depressing to start the day with the feeling you must grovel for an extra ten bucks.

GREAT JOB

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Discounts, Great environment, Sales, Fun, Great job for students

Cons

Hours, rude customers, customers sometimes return items, commission

Good seasonal job with limited upward mobility regardless of promises.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Professional in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Professional in Chicago, IL

I worked at Bloomingdale's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Plenty of hours during holiday season.
    Discount is nice.

Cons

Lots of unfulfilled promises.
    Job is very repetitive, which you sign up for.

Learn to encourage workers through honesty and not through promises which are not fulfilled

It's alright.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at Bloomingdale's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Good benefits. If you love shopping, this is the place to work out. We got usually 20%, sometimes 36%.
    -Scheduling is good. They give it out two weeks in advanced. I had little problems with it.
    -A lot of training is available.

Cons

-The managers talk behind your back. A lot. Watch out for what you say. Most things that any manager will say of you will be negative.
    -Managers play favorites. Even if someone is negatively impacting the work environment, it that person is friends with a manager, they will stay in the company regardless of the complaints.
    -Training was poor. The company has many resources, but the managers did little to give me access to these resources, or let me know of its existence.
    -Overall, the management was poor. The store has done poorly. They blame the sales associates, but it's really their lack of vision.

-Stop micromanaging and giving mostly negative comments.

Seasonal Sales Support (Holiday)

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Support in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Support in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pays better than minimum wage. Currently the minimum wage in NYS is $8.00 Bloomingdales pays seasonal sales support $8.50 to $10.00.

Cons

Job does not pay enough and the work is boring.

Be up front, tell people this is just for the season and we cannot promise you a permanent position.

Great working there!

Current Employee - Selling Specialist in Garden City, NY
    Current Employee - Selling Specialist in Garden City, NY

I have been working at Bloomingdale's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I had a wonderful time working there, the atmosphere was lively and very easy going. The hours were reasonable, and the pay was excellent.

Cons

The distance was too far from my house unfortunately.

Bloomingdale's Photos

Outside of the Flagship store for Bloomingdale's department store, located on Lexington Avenue in New York City. (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.2)
The Fortress that is the Beverly Center